*Official* Norco data storage products thread

PSA...

For anyone looking for the Scythe GentleTyphoon 120mm fans for their Norco builds, Cooler Guys has them in stock. I have been waiting a few months to find some of the 1850 RPM jobs in stock some place.

http://www.coolerguys.com/sgt120.html

I picked up six of them at the end of the week and they already shipped out, so they are definitely in stock.

I use the 120mm x 25mm Rexflo fans in many of my builds, they are 98cfm and have never made to my box of junk "high flow rate fans" that most manufacturers boost.

I purchased lately 3 Scythe KAZE-JYUNI "SLIP STREAM" 120mm Case Fan - SY1225SL12SH - 1900rpm and the motors overheated so bad that they stunk up the room. They are now in zip-lok bags in my junk box.

Does anyone know of a seller which has the new style 4224 case (flush buttons and no USB on the front) which ships to the UK?

The 2 places that I know of, X-Case and an eBay seller called J8L both have the older style versions.

Thanks

What are the different versions ?
I also heard about a different hdd rack, anyone knows ?

I managed to get my RPC-4224 mounted in my rack last night (woo!) I had to "repair" (with a clawhammer) a damaged UPS that was dropped in delivery, the chassis was warped way out of the 2U spec.

So now my project resumes!

I'm looking for advice on the 120mm Fan Partition for the RPC-4224. I already own one, but I'm trying to determine the best way to mount the fans (obviously in an intake configuration, that's a given). So far as I can tell, the partition mounts in the chassis such that the two cutouts on the edge are on the left-hand side of the chassis, when looking from the perspective of the chassis itself (using architectural standards seems to make sense here). However, at that point, should I mount the fans between the backplanes and the partition (let's call this Config1), or between the partition and the interior of the motherboard bay (likewise, Config2)?

If I mount the fans in Config1, then I worry that the SFF-8087 cables will either get caught in the fan blades, or not have enough bend radius to make it past the off-center slots (which are not rounded and will likely snag...) and then into the backplanes.

If I mount the fans in Config2, then I worry about the clearance around the motherboard, and any cables in the general vicinity (front-panel headers, 3-pin fans). With that said, I think Config2 is the better choice and is the direction I'm leaning, but I'd like the advice of anyone who has already tried either / both of these.

Unrelated question: Has anyone found a good position to mount a 2.5" boot drive through non-traditional means (modding, double-sided tape, velcro), so that the boot drive does not have to consume one of the hot-swap bays? I'm not completely set on this approach but it's something that would work well for my configuration.

Thanks for the link. Appears I might be on a wild goose chase, as it seems as if Norco are moving back to the old design with the USB box mounted on the front.

Where did you hear this? I like the new front usb-less more then the old versions. I thought they were changed for that reason and norco phasing out the ones with usb on the front. The last few I got were all usb-less (newegg in the states) and I'm gonna end up purchasing a few more soon. I hope they aren't going back to the usb ones.

Unrelated question: Has anyone found a good position to mount a 2.5" boot drive through non-traditional means (modding, double-sided tape, velcro), so that the boot drive does not have to consume one of the hot-swap bays? I'm not completely set on this approach but it's something that would work well for my configuration.

I've velcro'd 2.5s on the PSU and on the wall on the far side of the psu just fine. If you careful, can just drill 4 (or 8) on that far wall for your drives as well. I was actually able to fit two 3.5 drives mounted on the inside wall without any problems.

Otherwise, just pick up something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998079

or the Scythe rafter. Pic here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817984008

Newegg doesn't seem to carry them anymore but google shows alot of other places that 'might'. Alot are out of stock tho so it just may be hard to find now. No idea if they are still making them.

Where did you hear this? I like the new front usb-less more then the old versions. I thought they were changed for that reason and norco phasing out the ones with usb on the front. The last few I got were all usb-less (newegg in the states) and I'm gonna end up purchasing a few more soon. I hope they aren't going back to the usb ones.

Have a look at post #493 in this thread...

Here is a direct link to it http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036980865&postcount=493

Back in March when I talked to Norco about their RPC-4224, Mike did confirm that they will release another RPC-4224 version with the USB on the front!

Have a look at post #493 in this thread...

Here is a direct link to it http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036980865&postcount=493

Back in March when I talked to Norco about their RPC-4224, Mike did confirm that they will release another RPC-4224 version with the USB on the front!

Thanks. I wonder how it'll look. I think the big bulky USB block on the old ones look ugly. I really won't have any need for a usb on a server. Any pics on the new handles yet?

Unrelated question: Has anyone found a good position to mount a 2.5" boot drive through non-traditional means (modding said:
If you look on the 10Tb build thread i posted pics of how i mounted 2 2.5's internally...

should be one of the last posts.. just posted earlier today

Here is a shot of the internally mounted 2.5 drives in Raid 1
IMG_0683.JPG

Where/what you get those rails? Did you drill those holes to the case yourself or they happen to align up? I wasn't able to get any of the holes to line up with the drives without doing drilling myself.

I also think config2 is better, you can always add a 120mm fan grill to them to prevent the unused PSU cables coming into the blade.

For the 2.5" ssd/hdd boot drive, i found these 2.5" drive PCI holders, the Scythe can also support some fans:

Scythe Slot Rafter (up to 4*2.5" or 2*80mm):
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/064/slotrafter_detail.html
http://www.svc.com/sy-slotraf-2-5.html
http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=6648197

Scythe Kama Stay (can handle many things):
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/071/sckst1000_detail.html

StarTech S25SLOTR Hard Drive Rack (2.5" on a PCI hotswap bay):
http://www.startech.com/product/S25SLOTR-25in-SATA-Removable-Hard-Drive-Bay-for-PC-Expansion-Slot
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5606151&CatId=2783
http://www.crazypc.com/products/sy-mra25018-92230.html

some simple 2.5" hdd to PCI bracket kits:
http://www.atechfabrication.com/products/drive_mounting_kits.htm

homemade one:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=13132474

Also if Norco could release pre-drilled cases it would be a nice and inexpensive improvement.

About the norco newers racks, what are the improvements of these ?
http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=213
Are they included in the newer cases revisions ? (And how to know the revision ?)

Where/what you get those rails? Did you drill those holes to the case yourself or they happen to align up? I wasn't able to get any of the holes to line up with the drives without doing drilling myself.

Those were the "extra" rails in the norco case, i did have to drill the holes though, i think supposedely they were for a redundant PS or someting but they work well the drive is sitting in the air so it still gets air movement

Zerosum: That looks excellent. That's exactly what I'd like to do. Did you have to drill the chassis, the rails, or both?

Mastaba: I'm thinking the same thing, but I'm not worried about cables coming into my fans from the exhaust direction. Firstly, there aren't any cables in the way that direction. Secondly, the airflow from the fans should be enough to keep cables from wanting to enter the blades.

Has anyone tested the Norco 4220 recently with SATA III / 6gbs drives? I am looking to replace my weird setup with a new device.

Has anyone tested the Norco 4220 recently with SATA III / 6gbs drives? I am looking to replace my weird setup with a new device.

Yep. 4220 (new style) with an 1880i and 12 5K3000's in R6 running for a couple of months now - beautifully! Everything registers 6Gbps.

Yep. 4220 (new style) with an 1880i and 12 5K3000's in R6 running for a couple of months now - beautifully! Everything registers 6Gbps.
How can you determine if you are buying a new style from a vendor? Are there a list of vendors whom sell the new style?

I see lot of misunderstandings about different styles, it would be good someone who is involved at Norco itself can explain some things here.
I actually ordered the 4220 , waiting now for shipping to europe, but what exactly it looks like ?
usb in front or not ....i dont know it doesnt mind me much because i still going to modify some things to the front , leds for all drives conected to my 16 port Highpoint and things like that, so i could also put a usb connector in front if needed.

I also hear that a 4224 revision is planned for June. Not sure what the changes are, but it's supposed to have USB on the front.

so I just pulled the trigger on a RPC-4220 from Newegg, I have an Areca 1880ix-16 and was wondering if anyone knows if the SFF-8087 cables that come with the card will reach the backplanes in the RPC-4220? If not could someone recommend a MINIMAL size to get such as .5 Meters?

What is the consensus on the Norco SFF-8087 cables? Quality or Unreliable?

I am currently using an Adaptec 5405 and transitioning to the RPC-4220 from a RPC-470.

so I just pulled the trigger on a RPC-4220 from Newegg, I have an Areca 1880ix-16 and was wondering if anyone knows if the SFF-8087 cables that come with the card will reach the backplanes in the RPC-4220? If not could someone recommend a MINIMAL size to get such as .5 Meters?

Good choice ! same as me, i cant wait to get the mail that it is arrived.
I dont know about the backplanes if the 8087 connectors are situated in the middle or to left or right corner, that would maake a difference in the lenght of the cables.
But i think routing can be done under the fanwall in the center to manage a short distance.
I ordered 50 cm long 8087 cables from Norco, so i think they will also be long enough.
I might going to mod something if there`s anything that could be better.
specially filling the spaces around and in the fanwall to get better airpressure and be sure no air circulating back to the drivebays, as i read this was a important thing which need attention.
Let us know if you got the chassis in your hands, i am very interesting how it looks exactly.
cheers ;)

I ordered the 120MM plate along with my RPC-4220. The plate arrived yesterday and so did my 3 Gentle Typhoon AP15s. The RPC-4220 arrives today so looking forward to it. I did notice the 120MM plate does move the cable holes slightly to the right versus the center as in the default model.

How`s your build going ? just wonder how it looks like
If you have any pictures would be wonderfull for here ,
i still have to wait couple weeks , 2th week July the container will come hopefully
but now plarnty of time to prepair things , i need to modify my PSU because all of the molex and sata connectors are sharing 1 rail , and having 6 of them , so it can be much better using a couple of PCI-e connectors which are on other rails and modify that wires with 4 pin Molex ready for harddisks.
otherwise i have only 22amp`s for all the disks and fan`s , not a good situation i guess , specially at booting up.

Yeah my 120mm fan wall made me have to get all new cables, the worse part was I got a RCP-4020 instead of a RCP-4220 because I already had a bunch of breakout cables, Norco did replace one of my bad backplanes w/ one that uses the minSAS connector. I've also changed my controllers so now my short cables are long enough too.

4220 with 120mm plate:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1608342
sorry for the bad camara phone pictures.

50cm cables will work if your sas connections are at the end of the card, if the card has them near the plate, you will need 60cm (I needed 60 for the LSI 9260-16i).

Thanks for your input !
i have concern about the cable lengths
i ordered the 50 cm 8087 cables , my raid controller has 2 pairs of connectors,
one pair on the end of the card and the other near the slotcover,
so maybe 2 cables will be too short, i will ask for it when my order is ready
they might have some longer ones in stock instead.

My 4224 came in today and I'm a little concerned. It's missing the 2 x 80mm fans in the back, it's pretty scratched up, dusty, and a few of the pci covers in the back are already gone. Did I get a old used one or is this normal? I ordered from a reputable retailer. I think the scratches are normal but I don't know if it should be dusty inside, or missing fans and pci covers. It's the old style 4224 with the usb box in the front.

LiQuiD[EViL];1037424944 said:
My 4224 came in today and I'm a little concerned. It's missing the 2 x 80mm fans in the back, it's pretty scratched up, dusty, and a few of the pci covers in the back are already gone. Did I get a old used one or is this normal? I ordered from a reputable retailer. I think the scratches are normal but I don't know if it should be dusty inside, or missing fans and pci covers. It's the old style 4224 with the usb box in the front.

If it is missing parts, definitely return it. If it is a reputable retailer, they should handle return shipping, and ship a new part to you, at their expense.

LiQuiD[EViL];1037424944 said:

Sound like they sent you a used/returned box. Someone probably installed and used the case before. Removed whatever PCI slots were needed as well as removing or even replacing those delta screamers. Probably took theirs back off and forgot to put the originals back before returning. All my 4224 boxes came with the internal pci slots still intact attached. Basically have to pry them to remove them. So once off, they are off.

Sound like they sent you a used/returned box. Someone probably installed and used the case before. Removed whatever PCI slots were needed as well as removing or even replacing those delta screamers. Probably took theirs back off and forgot to put the originals back before returning. All my 4224 boxes came with the internal pci slots still intact attached. Basically have to pry them to remove them. So once off, they are off.

That's what I was thinking. They're accepting the return with free shipping since they no longer carry it and can't replace it. Hopefully everything goes well with the refund. Already ordered a new one elsewhere.

LiQuiD[EViL];1037425371 said:
That's what I was thinking. They're accepting the return with free shipping since they no longer carry it and can't replace it. Hopefully everything goes well with the refund. Already ordered a new one elsewhere.

Thats a very bad situation that they sell used or incomplete things,
absolutely not good for the name of the reseller.
I have a chassis in order but going pick it up personally and check it all before paying, they should accept that , its so havy material that it isnt really a easy job to return and wait again much time to get a replace, if parts missing they can fix that live or the buy wont happen.
Thanks anyway for the warning that this things happen.
Hopefully you will get very soon a correct and complete chassis as that is were you paid for.

I just got my RPC-4220 like a week ago and my RL-26 just showed up. Getting everything mounted when I realize these RL-26 I just received don't look like the RL-26 holding my RPC-470 right now...

They came in a box labeled RL-26.
2011-06-26_02-11-16_330.jpg

They don't look at all like the RL-26 (top are the new ones) (bottom are about a year old)
2011-06-26_02-09-14_245.jpg

Another pic
2011-06-26_02-06-12_584.jpg

They don't slide easily, heck I don't even think they are ball bearing.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think newegg's trying to pull a fast one on me.

Those look exactly like the Norco RL26 rails that I have gotten in the past. I wonder who actually makes them, and then Norco and iStar rebadge them.

I have never seen anything like the rails pictured, even though the box clearly says RL26. Is this another case of a Norco stealth product change? Or just a screw-up?

Back