official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

About the marvel ethernet port that stops responding.. Uninstall nvidias firewall that comes with thier drivers. For some reason it kills off the marvel yukon port. Also, do not update your driver with the one Microsoft offer at windowsuodate.com

fiberoptik said:
About the marvel ethernet port that stops responding.. Uninstall nvidias firewall that comes with thier drivers. For some reason it kills off the marvel yukon port. Also, do not update your driver with the one Microsoft offer at windowsuodate.com
QFT. This problem caused me some headaches until I figured out that the nVidia firewall is a POS.

Anyone have problems with this board and the Athlon64 X2 3800+? Windows read it as a MultiProc but reads only one processor. I thought I had found the problem by turning off the Cool'N Quiet but that is not the case. All the up to date drivers are installed, AMD Athlon driver, 3.7 BIOS. My specs are below.
I will be going SLI next month, should I be concerned about this board and return/sell it for another brand/model, or is this board okay, despite all the problems I have read? Proc, board and video are about a month to two months old. All purchased from NewEgg.

BFG NVidia 6800 GT 256MB
Sound Blast Audiogy 2
IDE Maxtor 80gig
SATA Western Digital 320gig
Plextor 12x DVD+_RW
Liteon DVD-ROM
Windows XP Pro SP2

ChipMan said:
Anyone have problems with this board and the Athlon64 X2 3800+? Windows read it as a MultiProc but reads only one processor. I thought I had found the problem by turning off the Cool'N Quiet but that is not the case. All the up to date drivers are installed, AMD Athlon driver, 3.7 BIOS. My specs are below.
I will be going SLI next month, should I be concerned about this board and return/sell it for another brand/model, or is this board okay, despite all the problems I have read? Proc, board and video are about a month to two months old. All purchased from NewEgg.

BFG NVidia 6800 GT 256MB
Sound Blast Audiogy 2
IDE Maxtor 80gig
Plextor 12x DVD+_RW
Liteon DVD-ROM
Windows XP Pro SP2

update your bios

ChipMan said:

BFG NVidia 6800 GT 256MB
Sound Blast Audiogy 2
IDE Maxtor 80gig
Plextor 12x DVD+_RW
Liteon DVD-ROM
Windows XP Pro SP2

Did you do a fresh format/reinstall? This is how you will fix the problem if you in fact have a bios that is dual core ready.

Yes, I did format/reinstall when I installed the board. It was the first thing I did after my first boot up. BIOS 3.7 shows as the current version available, on MSI site.

ChipMan said:
Yes, I did format/reinstall when I installed the board. It was the first thing I did after my first boot up. BIOS 3.7 shows as the current version available, on MSI site.

Does the processor identify itself properly in Bios, has 2CPU's etc.?

yes, the BIOS reads it as a dual proc, all utilities read it as a dual proc (ie sisoft sandra).

ChipMan said:
yes, the BIOS reads it as a dual proc, all utilities read it as a dual proc (ie sisoft sandra).

In Sandra does it bench like a X2 or a single core? Your flops should be higher with a dual core by quite a bit.

Sisoft Sandra runs all tests single core. I've looked into all options, cannot find the option to turn on test with dual procs. Although, the CPU/BIOS information reads the proc as "Type - Dual Core" "Model - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+. Click on the drop down in the CPU & BIOS Information and listed is CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0], CPU 2 [Processor 0, Core 1, Thread 0] and System BIOS.
Now for this little bit of information. I reset the BIOS back to factory defaults, booted into Windows, no dual proc. Turned system off, came back an hour later, turned on, went into the BIOS to turn off the Show Logo at boot. Windows now see's two procs, all in the while, Sisoft Sandra tests with only one. Rebooted serveral times, back to two procs. Turned on Cool'N'Quiet, two procs.
Now, what else in the BIOS can I change to tweak the system. With and without overclocking.
To show I am not taking this or any other information for granted, I want to thank you all for assistance you may provide me. :)

Uninstall Sandra and reinstall it. Just to see if it picks up on dual core after that.

Should I be concerned with this board and return it for another? Or are all the problems users are having, due to overclocking?

ChipMan said:
Should I be concerned with this board and return it for another? Or are all the problems users are having, due to overclocking?

Overclocking with Winchester cores originally. I haven't tried it with other cores, but it seems as if it is working for people now (except with Winchester cores).

Memory serves me correctly, I have a Winchester core. Would it be in my best interest to get a RMA? I want the best for my money, this is my first major upgrade in 4 years. So please forgive me if I am sounding like a pest.

I am interested in overclocking next month, want to act now if I need to return anything. I also will be going SLI next month as well with two BFG 6800 GT 256MB.

Where can I find information containing what I should change in my BIOS to tweak the system?

*edit
I have the Manchester core, not the Winchester I oringinally thought I had.

ChipMan said:
Memory serves me correctly, I have a Winchester core. Would it be in my best interest to get a RMA? I want the best for my money, this is my first major upgrade in 4 years. So please forgive me if I am sounding like a pest.

I am interested in overclocking next month, want to act now if I need to return anything. I also will be going SLI next month as well with two BFG 6800 GT 256MB.

Where can I find information containing what I should change in my BIOS to tweak the system?

I'd RMA myself and maybe get the A8N-SLI Premium. I wouldn't get two 6800GT's (unless the deal is so good you can't pass it up). I'd get two 7800GT's since they run ~$285-290 apiece. Much more bang for your buck unless your getting your 6800GT's for sub-$200.

Okay, the official word is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ E4 and E6 procs, does not work with the MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum. 4200+ and 4600+ E6 procs do not work with this board either. It was made clear it is not a mechinal issue or a board issue, rather a BIOS issue. They are working on a BIOS update to fix the issue. There is no ETA on when a new BIOS will be released. In my case, I have the 3800+ E6, I would have to get a 4200, 4600 E4 or 4400, 4800 E6. OR a new board, which was up to the retailor. Newegg has honored my return after the 30 day return policy, gave me a RMA and I ordered the ASUS K8N SLI Premium. According to ASUS, my proc will work.
Check http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=641&kind=1 for SPU Support.

ChipMan said:
Okay, the official word is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ E4 and E6 procs, does not work with the MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum. 4200+ and 4600+ E6 procs do not work with this board either. It was made clear it is not a mechinal issue or a board issue, rather a BIOS issue. They are working on a BIOS update to fix the issue. There is no ETA on when a new BIOS will be released. In my case, I have the 3800+ E6, I would have to get a 4200, 4600 E4 or 4400, 4800 E6. OR a new board, which was up to the retailor. Newegg has honored my return after the 30 day return policy, gave me a RMA and I ordered the ASUS K8N SLI Premium. According to ASUS, my proc will work.
Check http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=641&kind=1 for SPU Support.

Wow...what a boner move by MSI...this board has been nothing but problems since the beginning :(

Elios said:
BS how? That the 3800+ x2 E6 does not work with the board?
Okay, maybe I should have made my posting a little clearer. I spoke with an MSI Tech prior to my previous posting. The MSI tech stated there will be problems with the board and unsupported CPUs, listed on their site, such as the problems I was reporting (Windows shows one proc but can identify the proc as a dual core, Sisoftsandra reading the proc as dual but benchmarking only one. Also crashes with video editing or gaming or just sitting idle for a long period of time). MSI did not say the procs will not outright function but there will be issues.
As with anything in life, everyone will and/or may experience different issues. Althought your system is functioning, check and make sure Windows Task Manger shows two procs, benchmarking utilites such as Sisoft Sandra reports and tests both procs. If so, try rebooting a couple of times. I myself would have the dual proc working fine until a shutdown or restart. If your system works fine and all checks out okay, good for you. But for someone like myself, I did not purchase the X2 to have just one proc work.
My apologies for not making it clear the first time around.

Chipman,

Just in case, please check out these two threads. One is a thread that deals with the fact that you need to have the MultiProcessor HAL configured in Windows XP (often just dropping in the new proc without a reinstall doesn't change the HAL).

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=993277&page=2&pp=20 See the last post that shows the steps.

This second post deals with optimizations that help gaming performance:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

In any case, make sure that you have the MultiProcessor HAL instead of Standard PC or Uniprocessor, or you'll only have the benefit of one proc. Also in the thread, it's proven that Windows XP Home will support on "multi-core" Processor. Professional can support two multi-core processors. Just thought I'd mention this as part of the first thread was involved in the XP home debate.

ChipMan said:
BS how? That the 3800+ x2 E6 does not work with the board?
Okay, maybe I should have made my posting a little clearer. I spoke with an MSI Tech prior to my previous posting. The MSI tech stated there will be problems with the board and unsupported CPUs, listed on their site, such as the problems I was reporting (Windows shows one proc but can identify the proc as a dual core, Sisoftsandra reading the proc as dual but benchmarking only one. Also crashes with video editing or gaming or just sitting idle for a long period of time). MSI did not say the procs will not outright function but there will be issues.
As with anything in life, everyone will and/or may experience different issues. Althought your system is functioning, check and make sure Windows Task Manger shows two procs, benchmarking utilites such as Sisoft Sandra reports and tests both procs. If so, try rebooting a couple of times. I myself would have the dual proc working fine until a shutdown or restart. If your system works fine and all checks out okay, good for you. But for someone like myself, I did not purchase the X2 to have just one proc work.
My apologies for not making it clear the first time around.

i have that mobo and i have an X2 and it works fine i dont know why thay said it dosnt work it does just fine would you like screen shots
i got this PC back in Oct. so its been rebooted alot

Elios, noticed that your computer had the Multiprocessor HAL. One more image that shows what I'm trying to describe about

Chipman, can you post what HAL your system displays? If it's not Multiprocessor, please see my post above Elios's and follow the thread to setup the Multiprocessor HAL. Without it, Windows XP won't use the extra core.

This goes to show that it's a software issue. Currently the link to MSI that you posted: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produ...upport_detail.php?UID=641&NAME=MS-7100&kind=1

Shows NONE for the processors in question, but at the top a legend explains NONE = under testing. Many are using the same board in question with E6 dual core processors and having great success. Either:

A. They reinstalled their OS when setting up, ensuring correct HAL.

or

B. They correctly updated the HAL to the Multiprocessor version.

You'll note that ASUS, DFI and other MB users also post similar problems as yours until they either reinstall or change the HAL to the correct one.

I suspect this is your issue and once adjusted you'll join the ranks of "Yes it works!".

HighTest said:
Elios, noticed that your computer had the Multiprocessor HAL. One more image that shows what I'm trying to describe about

Chipman, can you post what HAL your system displays? If it's not Multiprocessor, please see my post above Elios's and follow the thread to setup the Multiprocessor HAL. Without it, Windows XP won't use the extra core.

This goes to show that it's a software issue. Currently the link to MSI that you posted: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produ...upport_detail.php?UID=641&NAME=MS-7100&kind=1

Shows NONE for the processors in question, but at the top a legend explains NONE = under testing. Many are using the same board in question with E6 dual core processors and having great success. Either:

or

You'll note that ASUS, DFI and other MB users also post similar problems as yours until they either reinstall or change the HAL to the correct one.

I suspect this is your issue and once adjusted you'll join the ranks of "Yes it works!".

yea i read you post feel free to use that image if you want to show that it should say when set up correctly ^^

hey everyone, I am having a weird problem...

I can only get my board to overclock to 2500. I am running a neo4 plat (duh) and a opteron 146... It should be overclocking like mad. I am running gskill LE ram (TCCD) and have a antec TPII 550 sli power supply.

I have tweaked around allot best OC so far is 2500 with 2.5, 3, 3, 7 on the mem and a 4x multiplier

I have heard that I should not be using ports 1 and 2 for SATA are there any other things to look for?

Any help is awesome, as I know I should be able to get more outa this rig.

Thanks for any comments in advance.

TheDarkTao said:
hey everyone, I am having a weird problem...

I can only get my board to overclock to 2500. I am running a neo4 plat (duh) and a opteron 146... It should be overclocking like mad. I am running gskill LE ram (TCCD) and have a antec TPII 550 sli power supply.

I have tweaked around allot best OC so far is 2500 with 2.5, 3, 3, 7 on the mem and a 4x multiplier

I have heard that I should not be using ports 1 and 2 for SATA are there any other things to look for?

Any help is awesome, as I know I should be able to get more outa this rig.

Thanks for any comments in advance.

whats the OPN on the opty some of them dont OC so well

hey I just picked up one of these babys and it is a dream. Oc'ed a 3700 to 2640mhz, could go higher but I want it stable. Just wanted to say that it is a great mobo, it works well with my Gskill ram, and it has a boot logo disable switch, something that my last mobo, an EVGA lacked. so for now, its MSI for me! :D

EDIT: only problem is it lacks any indication of power when it is off. I guess the EVGA spoiled me with an LED and built in reset/power switches, as well as a POST memory line indicator

HighTest said:

This goes to show that it's a software issue. Currently the link to MSI that you posted: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=641&NAME=MS-7100&kind=1

or

I returned the board for the ASUS board. I can tell you XP Pro SP2 showed the MultiProcessor, not the Uniprocessor I've seen with my older procs with single cores. As I stated before, Windows, Sisoft Sandra reported the multiprocs but showed or tested only one. It would also crash during video editing or capturing the video. After installing the board, on the first boot, I configured the BIOS, then booted off the XP CD and reinstalled XP. After the reinstall, it always showed MultiProcessor but task manager showed one proc. I even went and reinstalled to SP1 to see if SP2 had the problem. In any rate, I installed the ASUS board but have not yet booted the system. NYC Transit strike getting me home really late to not even bother (too tired). This weekend I will get it up and report what has happened.
I guess problems occur on a user to user basis.

Goddamnit I'm so pissed. I bought this motherboard shortly after the raving/award giving Hard OCP article came out and paired it with a Winchester 3200 at the recommendation of the folks here on the board. At the time the Winchester was supposedly the best overclocking AMD64. I'm not even sure if the San Diego/Venice chips were out yet. Nonetheless, I've had the overclocking problems that are described on the pages of this thread. I can't get anything over 230fsb. I figured I just had bad luck and lived with it for the past several months, just now finding out about the problems. I've always been an Abit/Asus guy and I should have known better. Don't always believe what you read. /sigh

Acquired Hate said:
Goddamnit I'm so pissed. I bought this motherboard shortly after the raving/award giving Hard OCP article came out and paired it with a Winchester 3200 at the recommendation of the folks here on the board. At the time the Winchester was supposedly the best overclocking AMD64. I'm not even sure if the San Diego/Venice chips were out yet. Nonetheless, I've had the overclocking problems that are described on the pages of this thread. I can't get anything over 230fsb. I figured I just had bad luck and lived with it for the past several months, just now finding out about the problems. I've always been an Abit/Asus guy and I should have known better. Don't always believe what you read. /sigh

did you try using clockgen? That worked well for me when I had the board.

Acquired Hate said:

my mobo is running at 250 FSB just fine whats your PSU?

Elios said:
my mobo is running at 250 FSB just fine whats your PSU?

With a Winchester and setting 250 in bios? If that's true you're pretty lucky because you might be the only one to be able to do that ;).

I recently upgraded to an Antec True Power 2 550W which made no difference from the Enermax 431 (20 pin) I had previously. I tried clockgen but I like having more control over the bios and really didnt have a whole lot of luck anyway. Are these boards having problems with X2 chips? I figured if I was going to bother keeping the board that would be my next upgrade. I might just scrap the whole thing and start over with something tried and true.

Acquired Hate said:
I recently upgraded to an Antec True Power 2 550W which made no difference from the Enermax 431 (20 pin) I had previously. I tried clockgen but I like having more control over the bios and really didnt have a whole lot of luck anyway. Are these boards having problems with X2 chips? I figured if I was going to bother keeping the board that would be my next upgrade. I might just scrap the whole thing and start over with something tried and true.

The problem was specific to Winchester chips AFAIK.

Would all of you that already own this board recommend it over the ASUS A8N-SLI? I'll be tossing it in with a X2 4400, 600w noisetaker, dual BFG 7800GT OC's, 2 gigs of Gskill, 2 250 gig maxline 3's, and an audigy 2 ZS gamer. Wont be doing any overclocking.

Thanks.

[edit] What the hell? Did they stop making this board? It isnt listed on zzf or newegg at all, not even on back order. :confused: [/edit]

trxjw said:
Would all of you that already own this board recommend it over the ASUS A8N-SLI? I'll be tossing it in with a X2 4400, 600w noisetaker, dual BFG 7800GT OC's, 2 gigs of Gskill, 2 250 gig maxline 3's, and an audigy 2 ZS gamer. Wont be doing any overclocking.

Thanks.

[edit] What the hell? Did they stop making this board? It isnt listed on zzf or newegg at all, not even on back order. :confused: [/edit]

Yes, I'd recommend it for all processors that are not Winchester. The reason you don't see it is the imminent shipment of their new Deluxe edition that has the SLI X16 technology.

See: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=710

This board has taken an awesome product and made it even better! Notice the additional x1 and x2 PCI-E slots in addition to the two full x16 PEG slots.

The reason I recommend the MSI over the ASUS solution is that the onboard additional SATA and Network adapter are full PCI-E implementations where as the ASUS A8N-SLI uses PCI solutions for the two items. So the SiL 3132 which supports the full 3GB/s SATA-IO standard is available on all ports on the MSI solution, 1.5GB/s are the top speed of the additional SATA ports on the ASUS. The Gigabit NIC (the second one) is also not able to meet a full Gig performance on the ASUS due to it's PCI implementation.

Also the Audio solution of the Creative Labs onboard sound on the MSI negates the need for the Audigy 2 board. The Audigy 4 or the new Xi board would be needed to really perform better than the onboard. ASUS uses the lower end RealTek AC'97 sound setup.

My local vendors have MSI boards in stock, so you should be able to find one of the original products, but the new one may well be worth the wait!

Z(+)DIAC said:
So Winchester CPUs are incompatible with this board?

Notice my SIG, I use a Winchester with this board. What does happen is that specifically with the CBBID stepping of the Winchester, you cannot set the FSB to higher than 219MHz and have the board POST.

You can set it to less, boot to Windows XP and then use ClockGen to overclock to very high FSB frequencies, so it's something unique to the BIOS. We've been waiting for a fix, but most customers are now using something else and I think the Winchester "OC" fix has been shelved.

So it's compatible, it's just not possible to overclock from the BIOS for this specific "stepping" of CBBID. ClockGen shows the true potential of this board and other CPU cores are enjoying great OC's.

So I'd stear clear of the Winchester core when going with this board, but it works as "advertised". This is what you'll read in all of the MSI forums about this product.

Others are having great success with BIOS POST overclocks with the new X2 cores, so I'm saving up for one of these ones.

Back