official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

Wow what a experience of second RMA.

Like i said i RMA my motherboard a couple of weeks back, and i got it back last week. Guess what i got? a brand new board with every thing original sealed pack, i really like it.

Recently, in this thread Andross 182 pointed out to me that it may be difficult to use full-length PCI-Express cards with a water-cooled chipset.

This being the appropriate motherboard thread to ask, has anyone here had problems with using a water-cooled heatsing on the chipset?

Axman

Has anything changed with this board since the original review came out in February? I recently decided to build a new computer and was very excited with this board until I read the end of the review. In case you have forgotten, after a truly rave review the reviewer ended it with the following statement:

"We at HardOCP are sorry to report that this MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard has experienced errors in the field with overclockers. There seem to be some bugs that MSI cannot fix that are specific to this board that we never experienced in our testing. That said, we are pulling our award given, and advise you to look elsewhere should you be in the market for an enthusiast motherboard."

Please comment. And thank you.

redheart said:
Has anything changed with this board since the original review came out in February? I recently decided to build a new computer and was very excited with this board until I read the end of the review. In case you have forgotten, after a truly rave review the reviewer ended it with the following statement:

"We at HardOCP are sorry to report that this MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard has experienced errors in the field with overclockers. There seem to be some bugs that MSI cannot fix that are specific to this board that we never experienced in our testing. That said, we are pulling our award given, and advise you to look elsewhere should you be in the market for an enthusiast motherboard."

Please comment. And thank you.

I sold mine but it actually clocked quite well and was faster at stock settings than my new DFI SLI-DR

if you actually went through and read this thread you would see that the issues are with overclocking older cores. if you plan on buying an a64 just make sure to get one with the newest core (san diego, venice etc...) and you'll be fine.

Double Jesus said:
if you actually went through and read this thread you would see that the issues are with overclocking older cores. if you plan on buying an a64 just make sure to get one with the newest core (san diego, venice etc...) and you'll be fine.

Sorry. I figured that comment in the review was addressed, but I really didn't feel like going through 47 pages of posts. I do plan on using the latest version of the AMD chip (Venice). I hope that this works. Thanks for your reply.

Does any body knows that MSI has any drivers for Windows Vista.
I would recommend using the nVidia nForce drivers. They should work and be more up-to-date. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as though SoundBlaster has produced any Vista drivers, though I wonder if the x64 drivers will work.

having a bios issue causing my pc to shut off. no error msgs it just quits on me after running fine for a few days I came home to it being shut off now it will start for a while like 2 mins after I clear the cmos but it keeps shutting off. I thought it was a hardware issue at first but now I don't think so. How do I tell what version the bios is again? I have an x-fi plat., 2x7800gts, amd 3800, 74 gb raptor.

It posts and runs for about 2mins when I clear the cmos then I try to restart and it runs for approx the same amount of time WITHOUT posting? wtf? this would happen on a sat!

revenant said:
Maybe this was covered before... but I just noticed (*doink*) that there is no PCI-E voltage molex on this board...So, I have also been having such a hard time getting a decent overclock out of my GTs (in SLI) and the more I test and try other things, the more I come back to it maybe being a voltage thing... CoreCenter reports very good and stable readins for voltage... there is jitter when I load apps and such happens, but it's very small... Anyways - so I guess this board is getting all the voltage it needs for the PCI-E cards without the extra connector? Or am I missing something?

Also, can you all post your overlclocking results for your video cards (only)? I am curious what kind of numbers others are getting. Thanks! :)

ok - I swapped my neo4 SLi plat out for a DFI SLI-D and wow... OCing issues are all gone... I got 467/1230 on my "detect optimal freqs" run... (I would get like 390/1080 before)... it would seem that, well, at least my neo4 was really lacking sufficient voltage to run anything higher than a stock 6800GT pair in SLI... stably... I was shocked at how much high I can get my video memory... I litterally almost fell out of my chair. lol. At any rate - thought this was worth mentioning.

revenant said:
ok - I swapped my neo4 SLi plat out for a DFI SLI-D and wow... OCing issues are all gone... I got 467/1230 on my "detect optimal freqs" run... (I would get like 390/1080 before)... it would seem that, well, at least my neo4 was really lacking sufficient voltage to run anything higher than a stock 6800GT pair in SLI... stably... I was shocked at how much high I can get my video memory... I litterally almost fell out of my chair. lol. At any rate - thought this was worth mentioning.

yeah, I moved to the Ultra-D and have had much better luck too. Oh well...I guess the penalty for being an early adopter :rolleyes:

Double Jesus said:

Currently doing an excellent job of being "brain dead". Basically I take this to mean that I need to look elsewhere for an SLI mobo if I plan to use my "hybrid" 3400+ 2.2 Ghz Newcastle (800MHz Buss)? Here are the “numbers”
ADA3400DEP4AZ
CBAUC 0432RPDW
1059434H40077

jedihobbit said:
Currently doing an excellent job of being "brain dead". Basically I take this to mean that I need to look elsewhere for an SLI mobo if I plan to use my "hybrid" 3400+ 2.2 Ghz Newcastle (800MHz Buss)? Here are the “numbers”
ADA3400DEP4AZ
CBAUC 0432RPDW
1059434H40077

id say yea this mobo realy dosnt like running the HTL very far from 1Ghz

spaceman said:
get the asus to avoid head/heart aches

Depends in which Asus. The A8N-SLI deluxe sucked balls for me. This board was much better.

jedihobbit said:
ADA3400DEP4AZ
CBAUC 0432RPDW
1059434H40077

I don't think Newcastles have problems with this board. I think it was a Winchester specific problem.

I've about had it today with stability issues! wtf can't it just WORK? the x-fi is nothing but a pain and and aahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does any body using Opteron 165 with this motherboard i am having a error

Machine_Check_Exception

all blue screen which halt every thing during bootup.

Help please.

annaconda said:
Does any body using Opteron 165 with this motherboard i am having a error

Machine_Check_Exception

all blue screen which halt every thing during bootup.

Help please.

Have you tried disconnecting all components (except essentials) like CD/DVD drive/s, Modem, soundcard etc to see if one of them is at fault.

Sure it's not an incorrect jumper setting on a drive?

Have you got the latest bios?

Have you tried different ram and/or Graphics Card?

Etc, Etc, Etc............................

That error can be caused by a multitude of different things and not necessarily CPU and MB related but it's generally generated from hardware faults.

MellowDude said:
Have you tried disconnecting all components (except essentials) like CD/DVD drive/s, Modem, soundcard etc to see if one of them is at fault.

Sure it's not an incorrect jumper setting on a drive?

Have you got the latest bios?

Have you tried different ram and/or Graphics Card?

Etc, Etc, Etc............................

That error can be caused by a multitude of different things and not necessarily CPU and MB related but it's generally generated from hardware faults.

I tried this CPU in two Motherboards both were NEO4 PLATINUM SLI, but both game me the same error after reinstalling windows and every driver.

Yeah i updated both motherboards to the latest BIOS 3.7.

If i replace this cpu with my vencie 3000+ it works fine.

I called MSI tech department they said this motherboard does not support Opteron, so go figure out by your self :mad:

Looks like this will be my last MSI product.

Any body know that there is any new BIOS above 3.7?

Is there a BIOS name bios 5.0 beta 6 which will let you increase voltage of the ram to 3.1V

Looks like there is another BIOS which is Beta version and a guy using it with Neo2 platinum and he says it works fine with Opteron 165

What BIOS options we have please give me some links.

serbiaNem said:
Have you tried the 64-bit version of windows? Hey, if it works...

No i did not tried 64bit Windows yet. I don;t have a copy, but from my recent research i found out some usefull things i like to share with you guys.

Here is the link to all the BIOS for MSI NEO4 PLATINUM SLI

Link

Wow, I can't believe that Opty's wouldn't be supported. I'd say there's a good bet they will be in the future, but my DFI board had no problems with the Opty 165 and that is with the 6/23 bios that's nearly 5 months old.

annaconda said:
No i did not tried 64bit Windows yet. I don;t have a copy, but from my recent research i found out some usefull things i like to share with you guys.

Here is the link to all the BIOS for MSI NEO4 PLATINUM SLI

Link

Those are outdated FYI.

Looks like i solved the problem. No body has to update any BIOS all you have to do is install the latest NVIDIA Drivers for AMD from Nvidia.com.

And i reinstalled the windows XP Sp1 not SP2 because looks like SP2 was giving me this problem, but any way it is woring fine right now for the last 1 hour.

I booted so many time with out any problem.

I will keep every body update if any more problem comes.

serbiaNem said:
Those are outdated FYI.

I bought this motherboard and it'll be arriving around thursday. If those are outdated, what other sites list and or review modded Neo4 Plat-SLI BIOS?

So, question. What BIOS version does everyone prefer for overclocking?

Anyone know of a webpage, or another thread dedicated to the Neo4/SLI? I've google'd it already, and can't find anything more detailed than a few isolated user problems.

sauria said:
Did you buy the new version of this board?

I'm not sure...i'll have to see what they shipped me.

What the difference? And how can i tell?

I know something about the capacitor being smaller on the 2nd PCIe 16x slot so SLI cards can fit better. And something about the winchesters, but i think thats on all boards (i don't care, i use a Venice)

All i know is that i bought the MSI Neo4 K8N Platinum SLI. There was no revision number. Is it by name? I've seen it listed as a K8N Platinum SLI, and a Neo4 Platinum SLI, and the final combination of Neo4 K8N Platinum SLI.

DogChainX said:
I'm not sure...i'll have to see what they shipped me.

What the difference? And how can i tell?

I know something about the capacitor being smaller on the 2nd PCIe 16x slot so SLI cards can fit better. And something about the winchesters, but i think thats on all boards (i don't care, i use a Venice)

All i know is that i bought the MSI Neo4 K8N Platinum SLI. There was no revision number. Is it by name? I've seen it listed as a K8N Platinum SLI, and a Neo4 Platinum SLI, and the final combination of Neo4 K8N Platinum SLI.

I'm interested to see if they fixed the problems in the new revision. The Winchester issue soured me against this board, but it was always a good feature rich one ;).

kirbyrj said:
I'm interested to see if they fixed the problems in the new revision. The Winchester issue soured me against this board, but it was always a good feature rich one ;).

Whats this new revision? Is it an actual board version number? or name?

My Marvell Ethernet port just stop working all together now, wont even show up in device manager, is this going to hurt me performance or stabilization wise? Ive always used the nvidia port which is working just fine

DogChainX said:
Whats this new revision? Is it an actual board version number? or name?

I have no idea...I just heard someone mention a new revision...I just wanted to see what it changed.

Alaskanzeus said:
My Marvell Ethernet port just stop working all together now, wont even show up in device manager, is this going to hurt me performance or stabilization wise? Ive always used the nvidia port which is working just fine

This type of thing happened to me all the time. Things would just disappear out of the device manager and then bios too :(. Usually changed with Bios revisions.

Well, i'm selling this Neo4 SLI Platinum. I've spent more than 6 hours trying to get this bored past 230FSB. I've tried BIOS 3.0, 3.7, beta 5.06, beta 5.08, swapped my RAM around, put in a different CPU, etc.

This board is not stable past 225 FSB. I can use Clockgen to crank the FSB up to 300, but it will NOT boot past 230, and not stable past 225. I've tried numerous different configs in the BIOS for memory, HTT, FSB, dividers, etc...nothing works. :confused:

Its a very stable motherboard when everything is at stock, and sound works on it without the -5v rail...but compared to my older Neo2 motherboard for overclocking, this board is junk. My Neo2 was an AWESOME overclocker. FSB 315 no problems at all, extremely stable. That and vcore could go up to 1.63v....this Neo4 can't get past 1.54v!

I bought a DFI SLI-DR Expert thats coming Friday. :D

How does it go, VMMV? Someone has to get the shit end, and I think this time, it was you. Think about it this way, if you take your chances of drawing a crap board twice into consideration, you're less likely to with your next board.

By the way, if I were going to get another board tomorrow, it'd be this one:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589

I have had it with msi!!! :mad:
I eagerly picked up this board after hardocp first glowing review. I drooled all over the box and hands of the fed ex man who dropped it off and I nearly tried to take it out to dinner once I got it installed. After that the romance was over and I was filling for an anullment I waited patiently for msi to fix the severly injured bios, which they did after almost 5 months. It was then the board burned out. I was shocked tht my $190 top of theline motherboard just crapped out on me, with only alight overclock applied. Well thankfully newegg rma'd it for me and sent a replacement.. I reinstalled the board and was thrilled when I was able to push my Athlon 64 2.2ghz ll the way to 2.7ghz. The board was running strong until suddenly the reset cmos button failed to work any longer, random freeze ups and instances of a no post. I broke out the repair kit including the pci diagnostic tool with threw out the cryptic code 25. The manual pointed at a bios issue, so again my bios failed me and back in the box for another rma.. Luckily I am still within my warranty period with Newegg and they no longer carry/stock this board so I will be getting a refund (as long as they dont send me a refurb board) and its off to DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI... Ooo sweet dfi here I come...!!!

Back