official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

oh any one know why CPU-z crashed my PC and CBID has been acting up too
dont think its the OC i have had prime running for 12 hours now and still going
and super pi if good out to 8mill haven tryed higher and did that with prime running lol

Elios said:
oh any one know why CPU-z crashed my PC and CBID has been acting up too
dont think its the OC i have had prime running for 12 hours now and still going
and super pi if good out to 8mill haven tryed higher and did that with prime running lol

You have CoreCenter running or some other monitoring software?

ok this mobo is driving me up the wall
frist off the PCI bus ISNT LOCKED ok i thought we got past that LONG AGO
2nd it just will not post over 230 HTT i even unhooked all my drives to see if it was lack of power the D_braket thing says it hangs at the CPU init

and i still dont kown why CPU-z made it go apeshit at stock settings and then CBID has issues yet it runs prime95 and super Pi just fine WTF is going on
oh it dosnt re-port Vcore right ether whats the best BIOS to use with this thing ?

oh i for got to add some times it wont hold the settings like ill set it to 230 and ill get 2.2 in windows when it should be 2.3 WTH? :confused: :mad:

Elios said:
ok this mobo is driving me up the wall
frist off the PCI bus ISNT LOCKED ok i thought we got past that LONG AGO
2nd it just will not post over 230 HTT i even unhooked all my drives to see if it was lack of power the D_braket thing says it hangs at the CPU init

and i still dont kown why CPU-z made it go apeshit at stock settings and then CBID has issues yet it runs prime95 and super Pi just fine WTF is going on
oh it dosnt re-port Vcore right ether whats the best BIOS to use with this thing ?

oh i for got to add some times it wont hold the settings like ill set it to 230 and ill get 2.2 in windows when it should be 2.3 WTH? :confused: :mad:

Fill this info in -

Just out of interest can you post your O/C settings from your bios,

DRAM Configuration = ?
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = ?
HT Frequency = ?
HT Width = ?
Cool 'n' Quiet = ?
Adjust CPU Ratio = ?
Adjust CPU VID = ?
Extra CPU Voltage = ?
Memory Voltage = ?
NF4 Voltage = ?

DRAM Configuration
Timing Mode = ?
MEMClock Index Value = ?
TCL = ?
TRAS = ?
TRCD = ?
TRP = ?
User Config Mode = ?
1T/2T Memory Timing = ?

Use SATA (3 & 4) and ONLY use Bios 3.6 or 3.7. You could try 3.0 (excellent bios) but might not like the newer CPU's).

DRAM Configuration = dual channel 512x2
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 230
HT Frequency = 4x
HT Width = 16^ 16v
Cool 'n' Quiet = off
Adjust CPU Ratio = startup
Adjust CPU VID = 1.35
Extra CPU Voltage = from VID
Memory Voltage = auto
NF4 Voltage = 1.5

DRAM Configuration
Timing Mode = huh?
MEMClock Index Value = 166
TCL = 3
TRAS = 9
TRCD = 3
TRP = 3
User Config Mode = on
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

BIOS 3.7

oh you have aim check my profile and shoot me a msg

Elios said:
DRAM Configuration = dual channel 512x2
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 230
HT Frequency = 4x
HT Width = 16^ 16v
Cool 'n' Quiet = off
Adjust CPU Ratio = startup
Adjust CPU VID = 1.35
Extra CPU Voltage = from VID
Memory Voltage = auto
NF4 Voltage = 1.5

DRAM Configuration
Timing Mode = huh?
TCL = 3
TRAS = 9
TRCD = 3
TRP = 3
User Config Mode = on
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

BIOS 3.7

oh you have aim check my profile and shoot me a msg

O.K,

Can you change to the following,

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 230 then try 240 if stable
HT Frequency = 3x
CPU Ratio = 10
Adjust CPU VID = 1.35v
Extra CPU Voltage = 3.3%
Memory Voltage = 2.80v
NF4 Voltage = 1.55
Timing Mode = Manual
TCL = 3
TRAS = 8
TRCD = 4
TRP = 4
User Config Mode = on
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

Test for stability and then adjust adjust CPU FSB Frequency up gradually.

Connect the SATA drives to ports 3 and 4.

Let us know how you get on.

At the moment we're assuming your ram will clock higher (What's your Ram manufacturer and model number).

MellowDude said:
O.K,

Can you change to the following,

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 230 then try 240 if stable
HT Frequency = 3x
CPU Ratio = 10
Adjust CPU VID = 1.35v
Extra CPU Voltage = 3.3%
Memory Voltage = 2.80v
NF4 Voltage = 1.55
Timing Mode = Manual
TCL = 3
TRAS = 8
TRCD = 4
TRP = 4
User Config Mode = on
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

Test for stability and then adjust adjust CPU FSB Frequency up gradually.

Connect the SATA drives to ports 3 and 4.

Let us know how you get on.

At the moment we're assuming your ram will clock higher (What's your Ram manufacturer and model number).

ok going to give that a shot today my ram well sucks some no name PC3200
i know it can do 210 fine but not over that at 3-3-3-8 so who knows
with a divider it should be fine 230 is stable but i cant seem to get the stetting to stick some times like ill re-boot and the bios will set it self to like 210 or 220 odd any way ill post after i try this

OH question any way to get the PCI Bus to lock?
edit ran CPU-z Everest and CBID all gime difret values for the Vcore and none are what its set to in BIOS i get any thing from 1.08 to 1.32 and its set to 1.35 :confused:

Elios said:
ok going to give that a shot today my ram well sucks some no name PC3200
i know it can do 210 fine but not over that at 3-3-3-8 so who knows
with a divider it should be fine 230 is stable but i cant seem to get the stetting to stick some times like ill re-boot and the bios will set it self to like 210 or 220 odd any way ill post after i try this

OH question any way to get the PCI Bus to lock?
edit ran CPU-z Everest and CBID all gime difret values for the Vcore and none are what its set to in BIOS i get any thing from 1.08 to 1.32 and its set to 1.35 :confused:

As far as I'm aware the PCI bus on this board is automatically locked and shouldn't be an issue for you.

I'm running my 3000+ Venice at over 300 FSB and the PCI bus hasn't been a problem.

The CPU is perfectly good up to around 1.55v on air cooling and I'd say the memory is the most likely thing to hold you back.

I've got nothing but good things to say about my ram as it's quite good value - Mushkin Dual Channel kit 2x 512MB PC3200 DDR (400Mhz) Memory Xtreme Performance CL2-2-2

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?ID=15

Make sure that you have the Aggresive Timings options OFF in the bios and do everything manually.

And make sure the HT Frequency = 3x as it makes FA performance difference over having it at 4x and gives you more stability and head room.

Don't worry about CPUz voltage readings as they are always inaccurate.

I prefer the readings I get from Everest Home Edition which you should download from here for free -

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Gives you Overclock information and other usefull monitoring info.

Well i was able to get my system 99% stable with the following:

MEM: 3 3 3 8 200 FSB 1T
CPU: 270 FSB
HT:3
CPU vCore: 1.45 +9.9% (actual 1.50v-1.54v)
Mem V: 1.85v
NF4 V:1.65v

i get an overclock of 2.43ghz..

Anytime i try to use the 166 on the memory and do a slight OC the system won't even post after a bios save. Any ideas why this may be happening?

prevous thread is here
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=958724&page=2

ok my mem is STRANGE lol in a good way i think

i got to 2.4 seems stable any way need longer testing
BUT it just refues to boot 3-3-3-8 its rated timings for DDR400 yet it works fine at 2.5-3-3-8
o_O wth but yea i dont get it im at 1.35 with 3.3% over VID

Elios said:
ok my mem is STRANGE lol in a good way i think

i got to 2.4 seems stable any way need longer testing
BUT it just refues to boot 3-3-3-8 its rated timings for DDR400 yet it works fine at 2.5-3-3-8
o_O wth but yea i dont get it im at 1.35 with 3.3% over VID

Have you tried 3-4-4-8.

The real world performance difference is undetectable so it might be worth a look.

MellowDude said:
Have you tried 3-4-4-8.

The real world performance difference is undetectable so it might be worth a look.

I GOT IT
lol youll ever guess how too i dont know why but my mem rated for 3-3-3-8 @ 200 WILL NOT POST at 3-3-3-8

but it WILL and stable a might add at 2.5-3-3-8 WTF o_O is going on here

any way im at 2.4 atm 2.5 is going to need more then stock cooling and over 1.4 vcore so thall have to wait

Elios said:
I GOT IT
lol youll ever guess how too i dont know why but my mem rated for 3-3-3-8 @ 200 WILL NOT POST at 3-3-3-8

but it WILL and stable a might add at 2.5-3-3-8 WTF o_O is going on here

any way im at 2.4 atm 2.5 is going to need more then stock cooling and over 1.4 vcore so thall have to wait

We'll, at least your getting more than you paid for from your efforts.

What are your core temps getting to at the moment with stock cooling.

Unless it's hitting 45C+ under load I'd give it a little more vcore.

MellowDude said:
We'll, at least your getting more than you paid for from your efforts.

What are your core temps getting to at the moment with stock cooling.

Unless it's hitting 45C+ under load I'd give it a little more vcore.

at 2.4 with 1.375 im getting 36c idle and 40c load
2.5 had to take it to 1.4 and superpi failed still and it was 40c idle

Elios said:
at 2.4 with 1.375 im getting 36c idle and 40c load
2.5 had to take it to 1.4 and superpi failed still and it was 40c idle

Memory's holding you back.

MellowDude said:
Memory's holding you back.
i dont think so mem dosnt couse bad math any way ill try 133 to rule out the mem 100%

Elios said:
i dont think so mem dosnt couse bad math any way ill try 133 to rule out the mem 100%

Yeah,

What I'm referring to is the superpi failure which I find (on my PC) fails first when I'm pushing my memory a little further than it want's to go. If I relax the timings or drop the speed I get through the test.

Exactly what speed is your ram running at? Same as your sig or different now?

MellowDude said:
Yeah,

What I'm referring to is the superpi failure which I find (on my PC) fails first when I'm pushing my memory a little further than it want's to go. If I relax the timings or drop the speed I get through the test.

Exactly what speed is your ram running at? Same as your sig or different now?

dead at 200 but its not the mem it was the vcore the damn mobo under volts the cpu any way once i got aroud that evey thing i have re-ports 1.4 vcore now i got 2.5 stable just fine

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=41682

:D

Elios said:
dead at 200 but its not the mem it was the vcore the damn mobo under volts the cpu any way once i got aroud that evey thing i have re-ports 1.4 vcore now i got 2.5 stable just fine

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=41682

:D

And you've got to be quite happy with that!

I use Everest Home Edition to check my voltages as I've found it the most accurate.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

But at least you persisted and got a good result in the end.

Cheers,

MellowDude said:
And you've got to be quite happy with that!

I use Everest Home Edition to check my voltages as I've found it the most accurate.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

But at least you persisted and got a good result in the end.

Cheers,

yea i use everest CPU-z and CBID all said what the BIOS said the board under volted alot soo i got it :D

hey if OCing was easy EVERY one would do it right :D :cool:

edit been doing some testing and temps look great 38c idle and 52c both cores full load
and this is on the stock retail HSF going to pick up a nice HSF next week some time

When I use Motherboard Monitor it reads the CPU temperature to me as -180 degrees F. What the hell? It's not a huge deal, but it's a quirk that I wonder if other people have.

In the BIOS, the temperature reads just fine.

Axman said:
When I use Motherboard Monitor it reads the CPU temperature to me as -180 degrees F. What the hell? It's not a huge deal, but it's a quirk that I wonder if other people have.

In the BIOS, the temperature reads just fine.

yea i get that too no biggy everest gets it right

is anyone running this board with 2GB (2X1GB) of ram? i'm getting new ram in tomorrow and wanna see how far i can push it with the 2GB. I'll post my results soon!

I'm running it with 2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC3200. BIOS 3.7. With an X2 4400+ at 228 HTT, stock 11x multi. Running memory at 1:1 with stock timings completely stable. The BIOS wants to default the memory to 2T, but manually setting 1T works fine

ok so it seems my nb fan has died... maybe that's why i can't push my oc that high. so far as high as i can get it is around 2.57 or so... then i went to do something in my computer today when it was turned off and noticed my NB was very hot to the touch!
should i RMA this thing? or maybe newegg will just ship me a new NB fan?

i think i'm going to try to oil it tomorrow and see if that helps any...

if you just got it
and new lets you re-turn it do that its faster
if not RMA it

MSI K8N Neo4 SLI, 3.7 Bios
3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz
2x 1GB OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

Board has been great so far. Only wish I could squeeze a bit more power for Vcore. Had no problems running the HTT over 300. Currently posting at HTT=255.

Newegg was two weeks faster than MSI when I RMAed my motherboard. They have an automatic RMA policy for all things under warrantee, which for the K8N SLI Plat, I think it's two years from manufacture.

A

hey guys, i was thinking of getting this board, but i was wondering if any of you could make one quick measurement for me.

i want to know how far apart in cm or mm, that the center of the pci-e slots are from eachother, i'm calculating that i need 35mm in order to be able to install the vf-700 on both cards and i think i only have about 31mm.

Thanks

is anyone running a venice on a 133mhz divider? i can't seem to post using my 133mhz divider no matter what i set for htt. i can get up pretty high with 166 (around 270X9) and 100 even higher (292X9) as my ram is totally out of the question at that point but i can't get the 133mhz to work. this sucks cause at 292X9 my ram is running at like 149mhz or something stupid like that :(

voltage is set to max for the cpu, haven't touched any other voltages (<3 water) and timings are set to 3-3-3-8 for ram which is fine. i don't get it :(

Double Jesus said:
ok so it seems my nb fan has died... maybe that's why i can't push my oc that high. so far as high as i can get it is around 2.57 or so... then i went to do something in my computer today when it was turned off and noticed my NB was very hot to the touch!
should i RMA this thing? or maybe newegg will just ship me a new NB fan?

i think i'm going to try to oil it tomorrow and see if that helps any...
Call up NewEgg and see if you can arrange for them to ship you a free replacement fan.

Double Jesus said:
is anyone running a venice on a 133mhz divider? i can't seem to post using my 133mhz divider no matter what i set for htt. i can get up pretty high with 166 (around 270X9) and 100 even higher (292X9) as my ram is totally out of the question at that point but i can't get the 133mhz to work. this sucks cause at 292X9 my ram is running at like 149mhz or something stupid like that :(

voltage is set to max for the cpu, haven't touched any other voltages (<3 water) and timings are set to 3-3-3-8 for ram which is fine. i don't get it :(

try this set your timings to 2.5-3-3-8 ^.~

i had the same problem that fixed it

Call up NewEgg and see if you can arrange for them to ship you a free replacement fan.

no need, when taking it apart last night to do some tests on my rads i took the fan off and gave it a little 3 in 1 oil and she's humming along quietly now :D

try this set your timings to 2.5-3-3-8 ^.~

I'll give that a try and see what happens... my ram won't run at that speed though i think

Double Jesus said:
no need, when taking it apart last night to do some tests on my rads i took the fan off and gave it a little 3 in 1 oil and she's humming along quietly now :D

I'll give that a try and see what happens... my ram won't run at that speed though i think

thats what i thought too lol but it does just add abit of Vdimm and you should be ok
and i have the worlds shittyest ram ever so if it can run that at 208 it think any can

well that helps a little... but still nothing good.

the max (stable) OC i got so far on this proc is 2628mhz. that was with the divider at 100 and the ram was running like 148mhz.

with the 166 divider i got up to 2.5something ram was at 233mhz 3-3-3-8 stock volts. so i tried with 2.5-3-3-8 and it posted with the ram at 208mhz or something like that... didn't really test stability though wanted to see if it would post. also posted fine at 2.5-3-3-8 @ 195mhz. ok

so i run the divider down to 133 and i can raise the htt to 255max anything over that and it won't post. the ram is only at like 180mhz or something like that 2.5-3-3-8 and i raised the vdimm to 2.7 and it doesn't help.

damn this thing...

Double Jesus said:
well that helps a little... but still nothing good.

the max (stable) OC i got so far on this proc is 2628mhz. that was with the divider at 100 and the ram was running like 148mhz.

with the 166 divider i got up to 2.5something ram was at 233mhz 3-3-3-8 stock volts. so i tried with 2.5-3-3-8 and it posted with the ram at 208mhz or something like that... didn't really test stability though wanted to see if it would post. also posted fine at 2.5-3-3-8 @ 195mhz. ok

so i run the divider down to 133 and i can raise the htt to 255max anything over that and it won't post. the ram is only at like 180mhz or something like that 2.5-3-3-8 and i raised the vdimm to 2.7 and it doesn't help.

damn this thing...

if you dont know already the board under volts bad i had to set the vcore to 1.4 +6.6% to get 1.41

haha yeah i knew that already. i have it set to +9.9% (giving me 1.59v)

i'm gonna try another 3000+ that i have here and see how that goes.

Double Jesus said:
haha yeah i knew that already. i have it set to +9.9% (giving me 1.59v)

i'm gonna try another 3000+ that i have here and see how that goes.

and setting the timings to 2.5-3-3-8 did work for you hmm some thing is up with the board then

Back