official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

tesfaye said:
I have to call NewEgg about mine. It was missing from the box and it stated that it should have been in there. I had one from an old MSI mobo and I am using that. I still want my DBracket damnit!

The SLi Platinum dosn't come with the D bracket,it is optional. it comes with the Diamond version

CMAN said:
The SLi Platinum dosn't come with the D bracket,it is optional. it comes with the Diamond version

Where can you get them? I've looked all over and can't find them for sale anywhere including MSI's website. I just want to have the LED's to see "POST" codes.

kirbyrj said:
Where can you get them? I've looked all over and can't find them for sale anywhere including MSI's website. I just want to have the LED's to see "POST" codes.

Well You can either call or email MSI tech support about that and that you want one and they just might either sell or send you one for free. (They are pretty cool about it as i have done so in the past) OR you know someone that has a WHOLE BUNCH of them (like me) and might be willing to part with one.

The Cpt.

CMAN said:
Damnit, it's printed right on the fuggin box. Well, all I need are the usb ports. I can always get one for cheap somewhere.

Lowbatt said:
Yea I was worried because I placed the order and then found out about the -5v line issue. But I've had no problems and the sound works great so. I noticed the line isn't even listed in the manual but the pin has a wire in the right spot. The power supply is great btw.
What is the -5v issue with this board?

EDIT: NM I found out. That sucks MSI is using such and antiquated requiurment. :mad:

qdemn7 said:
What is the -5v issue with this board?

EDIT: NM I found out. That sucks MSI is using such and antiquated requiurment. :mad:

I dont know who started this rumor,but you do not need a -5 pin with the MSI K8N Neo 4 SLI PLATINUM motherboard for the onboard sound to work. I have an OCZ 520 powerstream power supply that does not have the -5v pin and the on board creative sound works perfect. I even used the supplied driver that came with board ,

CMAN said:
I dont know who started this rumor,but you do not need a -5 pin with the MSI K8N Neo 4 SLI PLATINUM motherboard for the onboard sound to work. I have an OCZ 520 powerstream power supply that does not have the -5v pin and the on board creative sound works perfect. I even used the supplied driver that came with board ,

RTFM, that's where the rumor started. Then you can call MSI themselves and claim shens.

nst6563 said:
RTFM, that's where the rumor started. Then you can call MSI themselves and claim shens.

MSI says the K8N NEO 4 SLI DIAMOND needs a -5v pin not the PLATINUM board.

CMAN said:
MSI says the K8N NEO 4 SLI DIAMOND needs a -5v pin not the PLATINUM board.
Page 24 of the manual shows Pin 20 on the mobo PSU pinout as having a -5V requirement. This directly contradicts the ATX 12V 2.01 Power Supply Design Guide. Pin 20 is shown as Reserved N/C (no connection). (see page 25) So picking nits, this board does not comply with the latest specs.

MSI ought to have their collective ass kicked for doing this. :mad:

The following quote was taken directly from the Neo 4 Platinum/Neo4 Platinum SLI manual:

MSI Reminds You...
1. These two connectors connect to the ATX power supply and have to
work together to ensure stable operation of the mainboard.
2. Power supply of 450 watts (and above) is highly recommended for
system stability.
3. For ATX 12V power connection, it should be greater than 18A.
4. For this model, you must use the power supply that with a -5V pin
supply.

maybe it's not for the sound...but they clearly state it in the manual. and also, your Powerstream does have a -5v line. check the connector or check OCZ's website.

Is the MSI Neo4 non-SLI the same board as far as performace as the SLI one?

I got the OCZ Powerstream 520W and now this board actually works like I thought it should :D . Right now I'm running 10x240 just to check out temps and stability.

A new question has arisen. How accurate is the Core Center temp readings? I'm running 1.52 VCore and at 100% load it's 38C with stock cooling. Can I give the VCore more juice on stock cooling? I'd like to try and run it at say 2.5ghz on stock cooling until I get some more cash.

UnknownSouljer said:
This may not be the right place, but does anyone know where to disable the SATA sil controller? It slows down my boot time and I don't see options in the bios. Could someone help me out?

i dont think you can

nst6563 said:
The following quote was taken directly from the Neo 4 Platinum/Neo4 Platinum SLI manual:

maybe it's not for the sound...but they clearly state it in the manual. and also, your Powerstream does have a -5v line. check the connector or check OCZ's website.

My powerstream has the same 20 pin connector (same exact configuration)that has been used for the past 4 or 5 years,it has an additional 4 pin connector that has a+3.3v,+5v,and a +12v pin and a ground pin,that is connected to the end of it. SO any power supply that works with the previous motherboards will work with the new NF4 motherboard.

AMD_Gamer said:
i dont think you can

In the BIOS, it's under "Integrated Peripherals," then "Onboard Device," then "Onboard Sil3132 RAID" make it disabled. When I do that, I don't see the Sil3132 at startup.

qdemn7 said:
Page 24 of the manual shows Pin 20 on the mobo PSU pinout as having a -5V requirement. This directly contradicts the ATX 12V 2.01 Power Supply Design Guide. Pin 20 is shown as Reserved N/C (no connection). (see page 25) So picking nits, this board does not comply with the latest specs.

MSI ought to have their collective ass kicked for doing this. :mad:

And so should Enermax, Antec, OCZ and all them other powersupply manfuacturers for providing -5V on either Pin 20 (on the 24 pin connector) or on Pin 18 (on the 20 pin connectors). Shame on all of them, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest their beards.... Wait a minute, this is to my benefit, ohh never mind, bless those power supply manufacturers!

Now I've had my Enermax for well over a year, are you telling me that MSI worked out a conspiracy for the -5V to be on the Enermax before nVIDIA even developed the nForce4 chipsets and other goodies?

Ahh, looking at my manual for the Enermax, it's a ATX 2.03 version spec. Looks like your 2.01 info is out of date.

Lately, I've been having a posting issue with my Neo4. I have a 3200+ running at 2.4 ghz (240x10) with 2-3-3-7 timings. When the computer does post, it runs fine and Prime95 stable with 1.52V, but it only posts like 1 out of 4 tries. What's my problem? :confused:

kirbyrj said:
Lately, I've been having a posting issue with my Neo4. I have a 3200+ running at 2.4 ghz (240x10) with 2-3-3-7 timings. When the computer does post, it runs fine and Prime95 stable with 1.52V, but it only posts like 1 out of 4 tries. What's my problem? :confused:

I have the same problem with my neo4. I think this is why I can't get a good overclock because I set the speeds in bios and try to post and nothing. So I reset the CMOS and try again. This also explains why I can get it to post sometimes as some speeds and then reboot and nothing. I've got mine running a slight overclock and run prime95 with no problems for 25 hrs. System temp hit a high of 42. I reboot and sometimes it doesnt boot. If I hit the reset switch twice it boots up perfectly. I have my Vcore set to 1.55 and I've tried default with 5% over and it seems if II fireup Ntune or any other apps that will read the Vcore it shows 1.47 or right around there. It almost seems like the Vcore is getting reset and then the system doesn't have the juice to fireup.

System specs
1GB Corsair XMS pc3200
3000+ Athlon64
WD Raptor 10k
Forton Source "Blue Storm" 500W PS

I've tried all sorts of things and I can not make any sense of it.

Ok. Here is whats happening with the boot no boot issue. The reason for the post no post issue is due to your overclock and either low or instable voltages. Sometimes if the voltage isnt high enough and/or if it sags at start up it can cause the Oc to become unstable and hang. The other thing to remember is that when you boot up the Pc, thats when the most amps/voltages/watts are stressed.(other then severe benching and gaming) with that in mind it can cause it to hang while voltage is low or sags even more so. Even the Neo2 plat board did this and many others as well. I have seen with the voltage and percent increase happen where you set it to 1.55 and a % voltage increase over that not work @ some settings of Vcore . Try lowering the Vcore and increasing the % to a higer number to get the desired Vcore total you want. (It might be that it will work with 1.50 and not 1.55 But do an 8 or 10% increase instead of 5%.) Most voltage sag is normally caused by a PSU that just isnt putting out enough @oced settings or Mobo that maybe has a little variance in its power regulation or bios that may not be mature enough to provide consistant control over the hardware on the board. Thus being the cause of the post no post issue you guys are having.

New subject...

Is the RAM timings limited by the motherboard or the stick of ram?

I am looking to put these Corsair sticks in, which have 2-2-2-5 timing (is that good? im told lower is better) and cost about $260 shipped.

Then there are these Corsair sticks which are about $215 shipped and have 2-3-3-6 timing.

So $45 difference, and 2-2-2-5 vs. 2-3-3-6 CAS latency.

Is it worth it to go the extra $45 and would the motherboard handle either option?

depends on what you're after. The motherboard will handle either set. As far as the timings go, with either set those are good timings. As far as a difference...you'll probably only see it in benchmarks.

If you have the cash and don't mind spending it...get the faster modules. That way you won't be kicking yourself later for pondering if you should've gotten the faster ones :p

kirbyrj said:

Me too. What gives?
-Captain Insano gave a good reason. I didn't see that post. Oops. I'll try playing with the voltage percentages.

nst6563 said:
depends on what you're after. The motherboard will handle either set. As far as the timings go, with either set those are good timings. As far as a difference...you'll probably only see it in benchmarks.

If you have the cash and don't mind spending it...get the faster modules. That way you won't be kicking yourself later for pondering if you should've gotten the faster ones :p

Good to know, one thing i forgot to mention, is that i'll be upgrading too the dual core processors when they are made available (next 6-18 months whenever they are released) Does that change anything?

I can't imagine that the dual core's will change anything in regard to the memory and timings...but who knows...anything's possible ;)

Captin Insano said:
Ok. Here is whats happening with the boot no boot issue. The reason for the post no post issue is due to your overclock and either low or instable voltages. Sometimes if the voltage isnt high enough and/or if it sags at start up it can cause the Oc to become unstable and hang. The other thing to remember is that when you boot up the Pc, thats when the most amps/voltages/watts are stressed.(other then severe benching and gaming) with that in mind it can cause it to hang while voltage is low or sags even more so. Even the Neo2 plat board did this and many others as well. I have seen with the voltage and percent increase happen where you set it to 1.55 and a % voltage increase over that not work @ some settings of Vcore . Try lowering the Vcore and increasing the % to a higer number to get the desired Vcore total you want. (It might be that it will work with 1.50 and not 1.55 But do an 8 or 10% increase instead of 5%.) Most voltage sag is normally caused by a PSU that just isnt putting out enough @oced settings or Mobo that maybe has a little variance in its power regulation or bios that may not be mature enough to provide consistant control over the hardware on the board. Thus being the cause of the post no post issue you guys are having.

I hope it's just a BIOS tweak because I just slapped in a OCZ Powerstream, and I can't imagine that's the problem.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it kind of limits the overclock (unless I never reboot my computer). I can run 2.5Ghz+, but I need to have the VCore up in the 1.55+ range to do it. So if I want my board to post every other time instead of once every 4 times, I have to run it at 2.4Ghz and 1.4Vcore with 8.3% over VID.

Since I have a Powerstream, can I give more juice to one of the rails to help out when booting?

BTW...Capt. Insano, you've been a big help...still waiting on MSI to find out about the DBracket2

kirbyrj said:
I hope it's just a BIOS tweak because I just slapped in a OCZ Powerstream, and I can't imagine that's the problem.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it kind of limits the overclock (unless I never reboot my computer). I can run 2.5Ghz+, but I need to have the VCore up in the 1.55+ range to do it. So if I want my board to post every other time instead of once every 4 times, I have to run it at 2.4Ghz and 1.4Vcore with 8.3% over VID.

Since I have a Powerstream, can I give more juice to one of the rails to help out when booting?

BTW...Capt. Insano, you've been a big help...still waiting on MSI to find out about the DBracket2

No problem Glad to help. If MSI cant or doesnt help you with the D bracket let me know I have 5 or 6 of them here. What type of cooling are you running? and do you know what your core revision and DOB is.? this might help you with more on the OC that you are trying to reach and have currently reached.Feel free to shoot me questions anytime you need to or need help.

fbiguy said:
New subject...

I am looking to put these Corsair sticks in, which have 2-2-2-5 timing (is that good? im told lower is better) and cost about $260 shipped.

Then there are these Corsair sticks which are about $215 shipped and have 2-3-3-6 timing.

Is it worth it to go the extra $45 and would the motherboard handle either option?

I have a recomendation on the memory you should run but it will depend on what you will be doing.

1st If you plan to do NO overclocking are just gaming and daily use and the such or DO NOT wish to enter the world of competitve benchmarking (ie, 3Dmark,Aquamark, Super PI,Sandra,Everest,ect) Then save the money and get the lesser expensive memory. As the enhanced timings or extended bandwidth will do you no good.

2Nd If you plan to overclock and/or competitive benchmark and and all that stuff above that you are gonna do, get the lower latency memory. 2-2-2-5 stuff. BUT and I say BUT if you are going to buy memory for this reason Then Buy Sammsung TCCD bined chips on Brain power PCB. Brands like GSKILL and OCZ and Corsair. But when buying these brands I will highly recomend getting stuff with higher bandwidth specific models of those manufactures. Like my # 1 choice is Gskill PC4400LE or OCZ PC4200LE platinum or if you are going to get Corsair get the PC4400. DO not get the PC3200. I have had plenty of experinence with the XMS3200XL PRO and even though it was good mem it hated to try and overclock on A64 setups. its max FSB capable with my FX55 was 235 to 240 @2.5-3-3-8. I went with the Gskill Pc4400le and I have easily hit FSB of 285 @ 2.5-3-3-7. The PC4200 and PC4400 are better cause of the xtra bandwidth to get you more FSB and mem speeds just shy of DDR600 have been reached @ timings 2.5-3-3-7. Fsb speeds of over 300 have been hit with 3-3-3-8 and 2.5-4-4-8 with the Gskill Le.

So it just depends on what you want. Either of the 2 you picked will work fine for a pretty strait up system, but some others will work better for other things as I have mentioned above. But thats my experince and my 2 cents.

The Cpt.

fbiguy said:
New subject...

I have this motherboard with 1 gig of the XMS 4400C25 ram. It is rated 2.5,3,3,8 at 550. This mother board overclocks very well,mine has been up to 295 HTT with the memory at 1 to 1. The 3200 wont run at 2.0 at these HTT settings,if you plan to overclock a lot the 4400C25 would be better and cost $270.

Quick question...I posted this as a "Oh, BTW" comment a while ago, never had anyone answer, or if they did I never saw it.

I have this motherboard, and only had one bug with it. It doesn't like empty USB based card readers. Had a combo 7 in 1 card reader/floppy that connected to an internal USB header, literally every time booting into Windows it would lock up right before the splash screen. I ditched it and went to a Compact Flash card reader that connects via an external USB port, does the same thing if it's empty. USB thumb drives, and if the card reader has a card in it are fine, I can reboot with those plugged in and no lockup. Only happens if I have an empty card reader plugged into a USB port. Anyone else hit this problem? I know it at least can't be the 7 in 1 card reader/floppy, it's been used on two different boards, and I plugged it in briefly to a third board, didn't do anything like this.

Just curious. :)

Arvig said:
Quick question...I posted this as a "Oh, BTW" comment a while ago, never had anyone answer, or if they did I never saw it.

I have this motherboard, and only had one bug with it. It doesn't like empty USB based card readers. Had a combo 7 in 1 card reader/floppy that connected to an internal USB header, literally every time booting into Windows it would lock up right before the splash screen. I ditched it and went to a Compact Flash card reader that connects via an external USB port, does the same thing if it's empty. USB thumb drives, and if the card reader has a card in it are fine, I can reboot with those plugged in and no lockup. Only happens if I have an empty card reader plugged into a USB port. Anyone else hit this problem? I know it at least can't be the 7 in 1 card reader/floppy, it's been used on two different boards, and I plugged it in briefly to a third board, didn't do anything like this.

Just curious. :)
I bet you've got a BIOS setting that allows a USB device to act as a Boot Device. Look under "Boot Device Priority". See if ther's a setting for "Boot from USB Drive" or "Boot from another Boot device". You need to disable those settings.

qdemn7 said:
I bet you've got a BIOS setting that allows a USB device to act as a Boot Device. Look under "Boot Device Priority". See if ther's a setting for "Boot from USB Drive" or "Boot from another Boot device". You need to disable those settings.

I'll look to make sure I didn't turn them on or leave them on, but off hand I don't think I did. I don't have a USB device set in the boot order anyway, since my combo drive was also a floppy I did have floppy in the boot order, but the floppy part of the drive connected via a normal 34 pin floppy cable...it was really two devices in one 3.5" housing...a card reader and a normal 1.44mb floppy drive.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I just ordered the board and a 3800+ CPU, will my current memory and PSU handle it ok? Part of my being able to get this was telling wife I was going to not have to buy memory or a new PSU. I do not plan to overclock.

*fingers crossed*

Thanks

AARGH! said:
I just ordered the board and a 3800+ CPU, will my current memory and PSU handle it ok? Part of my being able to get this was telling wife I was going to not have to buy memory or a new PSU. I do not plan to overclock.

*fingers crossed*

Thanks

your power supply will be fine. the kingston memory should also be fine...but I'm not sure about ECC memory.

should be good then ;)

I've never used ECC memory, so I wasn't sure how it would act in a system that didn't support it.

Captin Insano said:
I have a recomendation on the memory you should run but it will depend on what you will be doing.

1st If you plan to do NO overclocking are just gaming and daily use and the such or DO NOT wish to enter the world of competitve benchmarking (ie, 3Dmark,Aquamark, Super PI,Sandra,Everest,ect) Then save the money and get the lesser expensive memory. As the enhanced timings or extended bandwidth will do you no good.

2Nd If you plan to overclock and/or competitive benchmark and and all that stuff above that you are gonna do, get the lower latency memory. 2-2-2-5 stuff. BUT and I say BUT if you are going to buy memory for this reason Then Buy Sammsung TCCD bined chips on Brain power PCB. Brands like GSKILL and OCZ and Corsair. But when buying these brands I will highly recomend getting stuff with higher bandwidth specific models of those manufactures. Like my # 1 choice is Gskill PC4400LE or OCZ PC4200LE platinum or if you are going to get Corsair get the PC4400. DO not get the PC3200. I have had plenty of experinence with the XMS3200XL PRO and even though it was good mem it hated to try and overclock on A64 setups. its max FSB capable with my FX55 was 235 to 240 @2.5-3-3-8. I went with the Gskill Pc4400le and I have easily hit FSB of 285 @ 2.5-3-3-7. The PC4200 and PC4400 are better cause of the xtra bandwidth to get you more FSB and mem speeds just shy of DDR600 have been reached @ timings 2.5-3-3-7. Fsb speeds of over 300 have been hit with 3-3-3-8 and 2.5-4-4-8 with the Gskill Le.

So it just depends on what you want. Either of the 2 you picked will work fine for a pretty strait up system, but some others will work better for other things as I have mentioned above. But thats my experince and my 2 cents.

The Cpt.

Im leaning towards the "leave at stock settings" thing because the overall system will be used for my home recording, which means i'll be trying to make a total silent system (or near silent) down the road.

If anyone wants to discuss the finer points of a total silent system (without psycho $$) i'd love too (in a new thread)

In addition to that, i read an article over at overclockers.com that goes over the possible problems with current gen motherboards (ie the one i'll be getting - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum) not having the proper design to handle the power needed for overclocking.

AARGH! said:

*fingers crossed*

Thanks

aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

thats great!!!! I hope it works out for you....i'll be doing the same damn thing when im married :( (kinda makes one ponder the benefits of marrage)

fbiguy said:
.i'll be doing the same damn thing when im married :( (kinda makes one ponder the benefits of marrage)

I often question my sanity over the whole deal. Add 2 kids and another on the way to the list and I think I'll be calling my insurance to get pre-certified for the funny farm.

nst6563 said:
I often question my sanity over the whole deal. Add 2 kids and another on the way to the list and I think I'll be calling my insurance to get pre-certified for the funny farm.

haha, apparently using insurance to pay for therapy or anything of that nature raises insurance rates considerably (according to my mother)

hijack wwhaaaaaat?

Bah! my job pays for most of my insurance anyway, so what I save by using the insurance plan is what I gain toward my hobby :D :p

fbiguy said:
haha, apparently using insurance to pay for therapy or anything of that nature raises insurance rates considerably (according to my mother)

Try 3 kids (2 of them teenage girls), wife, dog, 3 fish, hamster, and an ex-wife.

Gaming and perpetual PC upgrades are my escape!

Back