**OFFICIAL MSI 975X Powerup Edition Thread**

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Please post your BIOS Settings and Overclocks in this thread. I will update it later with my MSI 975X PowerUp Edition's setting. I am using E6300 with it, i hope it will be a good experience for all of us, who are buying it.

You Guys can give me links to different BIOS, Drivers, Ultilities, or any other information usefull for every one to overclock it better. I will keep it upto date as much possible.
For the Starters here is a review or test .

1. Link to the Motherboard

2. Official MSI Download Link to BIOS and Drivers

3. MSI Press Release MSI 975X in detail

4. Deleted the BIOS 7.25

5. MSI DUAL CORE CENTER Link

7. BIOS related Thread in MSI Forum

Some Advise for People who stuck at 360FSB or cannot pass 400FSB (TRY IT).
"Just a note: Well I notice there's a new bios so this may not be a problem anymore but here goes anyway, I'm thinking the boards problem with booting and sticking the bios setting has alot to do with MSI Dual cell bios recovery and chipset strapping, if you guys notice most 975X board do a full shutdown to reboot after changing to a high clock FSB or changing the straps on the chipset, but I think MSI can't do that correctly because if you ever owned a MSI with Dual Cell Bios, you'll know hitting the reset 2times will reset the Overclock to default. Every time it get stuck after a settings change, the board hangs in code 26 of my debug card. I notice thats where the voltages change during a successful boot. So, I figure, if it reboots to change settings it will trigger the Dual Cell to reset, so it just hangs? I found that I just have to wait abit and let it hang for 20-30 secs then I hit the reset myself, about 98% of the time it reboot with the setting I wanted (only hit it once or if you hit it twice you'll be reset to default). Well thats my 2Cents,but I maybe completely off and barking up the wrong tree"

I should be getting this board on Saturday and my E6300 on Monday, so I'll definitely be following this thread. Good luck man!

I’m glad someone made this thread. I just ordered this board and an E6400 from Newegg. I wanted the E6600 but too hard to find and not worth the extra money for me. Can't wait to see some results.

We need to make it a Sticky. How can we do this?

Interesting technology:

Exclusive Dual CoreCell on Board :

Another surprise is the new 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition will equip with MSI's unique Dual CoreCell technology, which includes the new Dual CoreCenter to monitor/tweak each core of CPU/ GPU, and introduces the variety of scenario modes for the most effective experience. The Dual CoreCell also includes the popular D.O.T. Express and Live Update 3, to deliver the Performance Precision, Silence Precision, and Sound Precision to the 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition users by way of a fresh and stylish user interface.

My new 975X just restarts over and over again.
Just got it and a 6600 and 2GB of 4-4-4-12 DDR2 800 RAM.
Worked for a few hours.
Now it doesn't even POST.
Powers up, powers down...repeat.
Arg!
Any ideas? I've disconnected everything and still no luck.

Just in case, I disconnected everything from the header except the power switch. Thought "Hey maybe it's a stuck reset switch?"
Nope.
Tried another power supply (400W) probably too small but I get the same problem.
I suspect the original power supply might not have the juice needed.
Still looking for help.

I've got to get another 500W+ PS and try it out.
I hit the bios reset button on the board but no luck - nice feature though. :rolleyes:
I've got an Nvidia 6600GT in there, worked fine for quite some time then zilch.

Does the 7950gx2 require anything special for this board? coolaler from extreme systems seems to be running it... I would like to use both.

hey guys, can i use a regular non-EPS power supply with this?

I have an Antec TrueBlue 2.0 480W with a 24pin power connector and a 4 pin ATX 12v connector?

can i somehow use my current PSU with this motherboard? ie. can i put the ATX12v connector into the first 4 holes of the 8-pin plug?

thanks.

Yeah I want to know what's up with the power connections too. Like yours, my ATX power supply only has a 4-pin connector for the 12V supply to the CPU. If I would want to use this board, what's the magic word I need to look for in power supply specifications?

I was looking at the (downloaded) manual and on page 31 it claims that the primary IDE port can support a master and a slave drive and the secondary IDE port can only support a master drive. Huh? Am I understanding correctly, that the board can only support 3 PATA drives, not 4?

arman01 said:
hey guys, can i use a regular non-EPS power supply with this?

I have an Antec TrueBlue 2.0 480W with a 24pin power connector and a 4 pin ATX 12v connector?

can i somehow use my current PSU with this motherboard? ie. can i put the ATX12v connector into the first 4 holes of the 8-pin plug?

thanks.

Check out the picture on Newegg. It looks like there is tape over 4 of the 8 pins on the Aux connector. Maybe you only need 4 pins to run it.

Anyway, is this board better/worse than the DFI 975X/G or the P5W DH? Those are the other boards I'm looking at. The Neo4 Platinum SLI board put a bad taste in my mouth with new MSI boards and new CPU's :(.

Hey guys,

I just got this board and i'm having nothing but headaches with Missing NTLDR errors.

I got to about 17% from copying windows files, then I had to abort the install to clean the XP disc and now I get this error over and over again...

Alright Guys, first of all you can run this board with 4 pin power connector. I installed every thing with E6600 in this board and it is running fine, except my cpu temperature readings are wired. Some time it says 123F and the next second -123 then, 23, 42 etc. It is changing every second. The power on the rail 5V is showing 6V and it is in red.

About the IDE connections, you have to connect hard drive to IDE 2 connection to make it work, and also for RAID 0 OR So.

Video card should be installed in the upper PCI Express (1st PCIe) other wise it won't work. Looks like this board has some BIOS issues or my motherboard has bad temperature reading sensor.

I will keep you guys posted about any new updates, and please you guys do the same.

Oh one more thing don;t forget to plug the 4 pin power connector to the board right above the PCI Express first slot, that might help some boot up issues, because it gives power to PICe slots.

I did not tried to overclock the E6300 yet, but i noticed FSB option in the BIOS is upto 550.
So it might be a good overclock board, but first need to solve some issues. I hate when you buy a $200 motherboard and you face some problems.

New BIOS Link up here Version 711. Try and see if it solve your problem.

I also added the dual core center link, because the one came with the cd does not work, so you can download it form the link above and see if it works.

So the part in the manual about only being able to connect a master drive to the secondary PATA controller is just a bad translation or something? (I'm looking at the manual downloaded from msi.com.tw, I haven't bought the board yet.)

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to update the BIOS on this board without loading Windows? I was planning to use it for a Linux machine.

Jim S. said:
So the part in the manual about only being able to connect a master drive to the secondary PATA controller is just a bad translation or something? (I'm looking at the manual downloaded from msi.com.tw, I haven't bought the board yet.)

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to update the BIOS on this board without loading Windows? I was planning to use it for a Linux machine.

You can always do it in DOS.

Well there is a new BETA Version of BIOS Available. Check it up in the thread.

So far with new Bios 2.55

untitled219.jpg

Seems like i cannot get pass 360 FSB with Beta BIOS 714. This is is my current BIOS settings, please let me know if i have to disable some thing or i am missing something.

Picture 171.jpg

Picture 172.jpg

I did not tried ClockGen, but i can give it a try. Did you used it or any one else.

annaconda said:
I did not tried ClockGen, but i can give it a try. Did you used it or any one else.

I just know my old Neo4 Plat SLI wouldn't clock for anything in Bios, but would work great in ClockGen in Windows. Maybe 400mhz bus is achievable in Windows?

Here is my MSI 975X V2 running a presler

28pidu9.jpg

Can't break 4.8 stable without more vcore. Waiting for better bios

I got my E6300 today and I'm installing windows right now. As soon as I get some real results I'll be posting them here.

I finally received my E6400 yesterday and finished building my system. On stock speeds, this board runs silky smooth, but I'm going to wait for an official 714 bios to start doing any real overclocking, as it's not doing too hot on the shipped bios.

I got to 333 MHz FSB last night at stock voltage and with Vdimm at 1.9V. I could get up to around 345, but it wasn't very stable even with upping Vdimm to 2.1V and upping the CPU a little. I'm hoping to get a little further tonight after work.

annaconda said:
Well why going step by step. Go for 400FSB to see if it works or not :D

Yeah, I wish! I tried that going to 333 and it wouldn't POST so I decided to slow it down a tad. Tonight I'll see what happens with the settings you're at, see if I get similar results.

Has anyone experienced crashing with the NVIEW nvidia dual monitor setup? I had to right click the icon in the corner to get it to set correct resolution and "dualview" setting.

Anyway, has anyone thought about a emailing campaign to get a good bios out of MSI?? I am thinking if hardforums + xtremesystems call and email MSI tech support eventually they will get the hint to release another bios.

It took me forever, but I am finall up and running on this MSI mobo + E6400 + Corsair 6400C3s and I really want to crank up the FSB.

Alot of people already emailed and call MSI, from Xtreme forums, and MSI forums, and Anandtech forums will do the same.

SO they know whats going on.

I spent a few minutes before i left for school yesterday overclocking the comp i just built for my brother..

350*8= 2.8Ghz was prime95 stable on stock volts

using bios i upped it again to 375*8=3Ghz and it didnt boot.. I didnt spend a whole lot of time doing it though and didnt mess with voltages or any other settings besides fsb and mem voltage (2.0)

MSI 975X Platinum Rev. 2
e6400 @2.8 stock volts
OCZ 2GB pc6400 5-5-5-?
x1900xt @ x1900xtx

I guess i'll keep an eye out here and on xtremesystems to see if new bios or something help out the oc even more.. not to mention upping the voltage a little next time im home

All in all i was pretty happy with it.. 10 mins to get to 2.8 is fine with me, cant wait to shoot for 3 or 3.2

Try 360FSB i think it works, you might have the same problem like me. I cannot pass 360 also, but 360FSB might work for you.

And we both have same type of memory. :D

annaconda said:
What type of Memory and Hard Drive you are using. IDE hard drives or SATA?

I've got a SATA HD and 2x1GB Patriot PC6400 4-4-4-12 RAM. I've got it up to 360-365 too with the same settings you showed up above.

Looks like I ran into a brick wall. Anything over 375FSB either does not boot or fails SuperPi 32MB. I tried 1.45vcore and 2.2vdimm. I have disabled SpeedStep and C1E.

Anything else to help this? I have awesome ram, Corsair 6400C3s so I know its either bios related or the CPU limit.

I am currently stable at 375X8=3GHz. I don't know whether to be satisfied or continue to keep tweaking, but whats left to tweak? I left everything else on SPD and I didn't touch the memory settings.

By the way this is on a E6400.

So it wont let me install the drivers for RAID0... I follwed the instructions and get to where it asks to put in the disk containing the drivers but it wont recognize the drivers or something. I have 2x74g Raptors and want to get XP installed on them... please help.

I added the BETA 715 Bios in the main thread. Check it out guys and post some results.

Back