**OFFICIAL MSI 975X Powerup Edition Thread**

Anybody know what the best active cooling solution for the northbridge is? I don't like the fact that the thing is too hot to tough :eek: Also what is a good solution for the CPU (air only - water is too rich for my blood). Scythe Ninja? Big Typhoon?

BoxDude said:
Anybody know what the best active cooling solution for the northbridge is? I don't like the fact that the thing is too hot to tough :eek: Also what is a good solution for the CPU (air only - water is too rich for my blood). Scythe Ninja? Big Typhoon?

i just wrote a bunch of stuff in reply, but mozilla screwed up. well... try out the noctua's they are pretty good. NH-U12 (120mm fan compatible) 42.99 combo /w fan starts at $4, and NH-U9 (92mm) 39.99 /w free panaflo fan.. the NH-U9 supposedly keep my temps 10C cooler. dunno... everything is giving me different temps, but the supposed "CPU" one has 10C less in all the programs. there's also a new thermalright ultra 120 hsf, i'm kinda kickin myself in the bum for not gettin one. it's 42.95 at jabtech and comes with a free orange yate loon fan (remember to add it on in the add fan list). www.frostytech.com has got it high up on their review chart.

Annaconda,
What OS are you running? Is it Vista?

I have been out of the overclocking arena for a few years since my last build ~3 1/2 years ago.

I just got the 975X up and running yesterday with Win XP pro. I have an E6600 2.4gHz in the board. haven't updated BIOS yet. Are you guys doing a manual bios update or using msi's live update program?

Anyone else have problems with an IDE HD being recognized with a SATA HD? Remove the jumper connector from the IDE. The SATA is my primary master and the IDE is the secondary master. Waiting for the latest ATI vid cards to drop in price before I convert to crossfire.

Anyone here have a 6600? I have seen it OC'd in other forums over 4gHz.

Peace.

bigty said:

Is this the New Bios i have also. MSI Just release 71A or 719 in other words. Sorry 71A and 719 are both different BIOS. They are not officially released, please post your results and experience.

Link

The links above do not work, well for me they don't

well the link bit does not, now i see the other two above seem to work.

how new are these

edit again sure i am using 71B

yeesh... i feel as though i want more from this board. i'm guessing 420x9 = 3360 is good enough, but i want more! gimmee gimmee gimmee! i'm a greedy little bastard, and i expect the best to come out of what i buy. is that even close to an impressive number? or should i keep pushing!? my northbridge cooler comes in today! it'd better damn well help me get higher stable OC's or byebye core2duo. so stressful messing with these things.

yah.... and i'm reluctant to try the new bioses because everyone else is getting crap from them. more problems than solutions or something. perhaps the official release is better, but mine works okay for now. it's annoying, but i like the clocks i get, kinda... but like i said before .... i want MORE!!! ;p

xkon said:
yeesh... i feel as though i want more from this board. i'm guessing 420x9 = 3360 is good enough, but i want more! gimmee gimmee gimmee! i'm a greedy little bastard, and i expect the best to come out of what i buy. is that even close to an impressive number? or should i keep pushing!? my northbridge cooler comes in today! it'd better damn well help me get higher stable OC's or byebye core2duo. so stressful messing with these things.

yah.... and i'm reluctant to try the new bioses because everyone else is getting crap from them. more problems than solutions or something. perhaps the official release is better, but mine works okay for now. it's annoying, but i like the clocks i get, kinda... but like i said before .... i want MORE!!! ;p

What type of Memory are you using?

OHKAY! gah.. what a past 24 hours... after MUCH mental debate, not liking what I am hearing about the poor OCing capabilities of the 570/590 chipsets, I decided to go with this board and build up a crossfire rig. yay for better IQ! :) I have 2gb of G.Skill (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ) for this board.. the 6400 4-4-4-12 stuff.. supposed to OC well also.. and my E6600 which has been sitting on my bookcase shelf for a while now, well, looking forward to /actually/ using it.. heh.. anyways.. color me subscibed to this thread.. I'll be cooling the 6600 with a big typhoon at first, then moving it to my watercoooled case (koolance + apogee) after I have a chance to play with it a little.. and get a couple of X1950 cards. but the X1900XTXs are frickin cheap these days.. $369 on directron this weekend. wow. anyways.. no back to your regularly scheduled programming.. already in progress..

i'm using 2gb ocz platinum xtc ddr2-800 pc2-6400 ram. i add 1gb mushkin performance 5300 ram every now and then when i just want to run it at lower clocks, more ram less speed woohoo! ;p

dang you! haha x1950xt? xtx ONLY 369? you nutso man. ;) i cant even afford a decent current gen card, and you talkin bout stuff that isnt available yet. ;p haha. perhaps i should just spring for an asrock mobo and get an x1900xt eh? screw all this OC'n nonsense and get back to my gaming roots right? ;p riiiighhht... i dont think i can be just a pure gamer any more. this OC'n has become an addiction. i forgot to pay some bills this month because of it. haha. grr... late fees. well you can hook me up with your x19xxxxx wutevers when your done. hehe. i'll throw in my x850xt to sweeten the deal... riiight. haha. jk man. keep up the good work, show us what happens when you pair an e6600 with an msi 975x. i expect only the best results!

hehe... the X1900XTX cards are 369, I can't find the 1950s anywhere.. anyways.. I'm very tempted to get two 1900s.. but need to learn up on crossfire first.. I think one of them needs to be a master card, so I want to be sure I know what I will be getting will work.. and all of that.. anyways.. not pulling the trigger quite yet.. just looking. :) I am very curious to see what my 6600 will do on this board.. weeeee!

revenant said:
hehe... the X1900XTX cards are 369, I can't find the 1950s anywhere.. anyways.. I'm very tempted to get two 1900s.. but need to learn up on crossfire first.. I think one of them needs to be a master card, so I want to be sure I know what I will be getting will work.. and all of that.. anyways.. not pulling the trigger quite yet.. just looking. :) I am very curious to see what my 6600 will do on this board.. weeeee!
too bad there arent any xtx crossfires.... most of the crossfires aren't clocked as high as the xtx's... so yah.. kinda sux havin crossfire x1900xtx, buti wouldnt know ;p

yah... that coolaler kid is crazy. that thread made me buy this board. i've not seen the plain v2 for sale anywhere, but it looks like it's missing that dual core cell thingeemajig that's supposed to make everything run smoother, but might also be the problem to the whole cold boot bug thing. oh, the NB cooler is silver instead of gold, different color southbridge, and a few more of those capacitor thingees next to the processor. i count 2 more on the powerup edition. ;D i kinda want to get one just to see how things are, but that was a beta board or something. engineering sample they call it? anyhoot, that kid gets to play with all the goodies. i remember seeing him hit 4ghz and was kinda drooling for the msi. haha. ;p okies though enough ranting. i'm gonna go read a little more. bwaahhaaa!

edit: jyesh, i just got my NB cooler installed. it's all funky lookin, but hopefully the extra surface area helps cool it so that i can go insane again. it's too hot to OC right now. sun shining right into my room, makes the temps go up like crazy. so when stuff cools down, i'll show yall wussup, and see if my prediction was right. i should have gotten a thermalright h05 or wutever it's called so that i can actively cool it, but the passive performance is the same as this zalman, which was $10 cheaper. i'm a cheap ass i know. i'll just put a 120mm fan to blow on it.

edit2: dang.... the asus p5wdh's are rockin the conroe overclocking database . am i the only one using an msi 975x board, and posting on there? we need to get some cool clocks up in there. so hte p965 > than the 975x? no way?! it seems that way though. so lets get in there and destroy those asus boards! ;p

BoxDude said:

somethign extra for you to read. it's a northbridge cooler round up. it's all current gen stuff too. madshrimp's NB cooler roundup

can someone tell me what is going on please ... any ideas at all ??????

my ocz ram wont work at any settings..... i have pc6400 ocz gold 2X1gb

wont post... it will with my crappy 512 chip.....

anyone ?

xkon said:
yah... that coolaler kid is crazy. that thread made me buy this board. i've not seen the plain v2 for sale anywhere, but it looks like it's missing that dual core cell thingeemajig that's supposed to make everything run smoother, but might also be the problem to the whole cold boot bug thing. oh, the NB cooler is silver instead of gold, different color southbridge, and a few more of those capacitor thingees next to the processor. i count 2 more on the powerup edition. ;D i kinda want to get one just to see how things are, but that was a beta board or something. engineering sample they call it? anyhoot, that kid gets to play with all the goodies. i remember seeing him hit 4ghz and was kinda drooling for the msi. haha. ;p okies though enough ranting. i'm gonna go read a little more. bwaahhaaa!

edit: jyesh, i just got my NB cooler installed. it's all funky lookin, but hopefully the extra surface area helps cool it so that i can go insane again. it's too hot to OC right now. sun shining right into my room, makes the temps go up like crazy. so when stuff cools down, i'll show yall wussup, and see if my prediction was right. i should have gotten a thermalright h05 or wutever it's called so that i can actively cool it, but the passive performance is the same as this zalman, which was $10 cheaper. i'm a cheap ass i know. i'll just put a 120mm fan to blow on it.

edit2: dang.... the asus p5wdh's are rockin the conroe overclocking database . am i the only one using an msi 975x board, and posting on there? we need to get some cool clocks up in there. so hte p965 > than the 975x? no way?! it seems that way though. so lets get in there and destroy those asus boards! ;p

ok, well the one I am getting is version 2.1... according to the peeps on XS it's a newer verison of the board.. the others were version 2.a and 2.b. Well - I am not sure about that... the 2.1 versions seem to be turning in great numbers also.. Hopefully my cpu will be a good clocker! wewt.. we'll put some MSI numbers on that database :)

I just break the 375 fsb barrier with the New Bios, but now i am stuck at 380 fsb.

Can please some one explain me please if my memory can overclock as you can see in the picture upto 954 with 1:1.25 divider, but why it won;t even post with 1:1 divider at 380. Unless i put 2.3 voltage to it. But it won;t boot into windows and give me error.

Please help, this is OCZ Platinum XTC PC6400. My timming in the BIOS is at default or i should say AUTO.

281.jpg

untitled.jpg

it's always wierd for me to see the fsb on the cpu bein fairly low, but the memory is super high. i'm thinking the divider isnt a divider but actually a multiplier for the ram. i dont know how the dividers work on these intel systems, but the numbers seem that way. i always thought that dividers were used to lax the ram, and put more stress on the cpu. yet in this case it seems the other way around. 476.2mhz for ram is purty darn high. isnt that ddr 952.4? i dunno, i must be trippin/have no idea how the divider works on this motherboard because every time i use anything beside's 1:1 my computer goes nuts. i have to downclock the cpu so low that it's ridiculous.

Just verified, the version 2.1 is the PowerUp version.. it's the new retail board and doesn't say powerup edition on the box.. but it's the real deal.. newegg has this board on sale right now for $174.99.

xkon said:
it's always wierd for me to see the fsb on the cpu bein fairly low, but the memory is super high. i'm thinking the divider isnt a divider but actually a multiplier for the ram. i dont know how the dividers work on these intel systems, but the numbers seem that way. i always thought that dividers were used to lax the ram, and put more stress on the cpu. yet in this case it seems the other way around. 476.2mhz for ram is purty darn high. isnt that ddr 952.4? i dunno, i must be trippin/have no idea how the divider works on this motherboard because every time i use anything beside's 1:1 my computer goes nuts. i have to downclock the cpu so low that it's ridiculous.

Well i cannot use 1:1 divider. my ram don;t post in 1:1 setting.

annaconda said:
Well i cannot use 1:1 divider. my ram don;t post in 1:1 setting.
funny... i can't post at anything other than 1:1 and you can't post at 1:1. wierdness. i have ocz plats too... that's some funkiness goin on there.

computers are like people.. they can be very quirky.. usually are to a certain extent..

lol, it's so weird going to the "intel" mobo section and "ati" video card section now every day.. hehe..

Well i can use 1:1 but upto 375FSB only.

What memory setting are you using, if you also have OCZ Platinum XTC with 1:1 and voltage.

Are you using E6300 cpu?

I think that the board's manual said you should set memory timings to their actual values manually instead of using "Auto" because the board can change them dynamically or something, and that could screw OCing up. I don't think that would help your fsb issue though, and I remember a fsb value between 375 and 400 that didn't work for me either. It may have even been 380, because that is sort of a strange value to run at.

But CPU-Z Shows 5-5-5-13. Even i set it manually it won't run above 380FSB now.

BoxDude said:
I think that the board's manual said you should set memory timings to their actual values manually instead of using "Auto" because the board can change them dynamically or something, and that could screw OCing up. I don't think that would help your fsb issue though, and I remember a fsb value between 375 and 400 that didn't work for me either. It may have even been 380, because that is sort of a strange value to run at.
e6400 + 2gb ocz platinum xtc 6400 1:1 setting 5-5-5-10 @ 400 prime stable. i havent tinkered with the voltage and timings. just oc, i'll tweak it later if i really want to . ;p

400primestable.JPG

this link is 420 in windows

anyone using this board with G.Skill pc2-6400 4-4-4-12 "BH" memory? that's what I have and was just wondering.. :)

so I take it you're not having any issues with it on that board?

only thin gI am not able to hit 400 FSB no matter what I do. I tried dropping the multipler and that was no go. So I think its the NB.

I don't mean to spam you guys, but I am willing to let my MSI 975X Motherboard go for $165 shipped. I figured I would let you guys get first dibs on it since you guys are really into the board.

yes thats the board I have.To answer your question I did not use the offical bios it intoduced a new big so I went back to the 71a.

As for being into this board It's going back weds. I have anAsus coming tomorrow.

wow... well that's not terribly encouraging.. I hope I have better luck with my board... I know there's an Asus p5dw dh at Fry's near by.. I guess I can pick one of those up if this board gives me too much trouble..

lol. this board is trouble. must have tons of patience.... tons. i got my northbridge cooler. it's just a cheap zalman, but it does well at dissapating heat i guess. it gets hot, but not as hot as the stock one. i don't see any improvement in overclocks, but overall stability is better. 420 is still my max. ;p i bet if there was a volt mod, i'd throw in 1.8v of juice into the cpu or something. bwahaha. too bad. i'm maxxed out on this board. i'm getting rid of my whole rig. i figured i've played enough with it, so i'm going to try out something else. say... an e6600 with another mobo. :D not positive yet, but yah.... might even be with this mobo again, i might be back. anyhoots, i'll keep watching how you all do. have fun!

to level set all of this. The board over all isn't THAT bad yes it was pushed to market a little fast. But the price is the lowest and over all is stable. once they workout the warm boot issue and in some cases the cold boot, which was greatly improoved with the newest bios. I wanted some control with the NB voltage but nope none there, and with the heat coming from the NB I see why. I would agree a good after market cooler would do this board wounders. If people look at the board if they got it from new egg. This wasnt the top of teh line mobo there are quite a few features missing so I believe there has to be one coming we dont know about.

Back