**OFFICIAL MSI 975X Powerup Edition Thread**

Any more news on the state of 975x plat overclocking? I bought this board a week ago thinking it would be great, but I'm getting nervous now. Should be here tomorrow or tuesday. Ahhhh the suspense is killing me :(

BoxDude said:
Any more news on the state of 975x plat overclocking? I bought this board a week ago thinking it would be great, but I'm getting nervous now. Should be here tomorrow or tuesday. Ahhhh the suspense is killing me :(

You can check at Xtremesystems.com they rated this Board the best out there for Conroe. They compare it with DS3 and Intel 975XBX and it is faster at the same memory and cpu clock speeds.

People who are having problems make sure your memory voltages are correct. Some memory needs 2.2V and some might need 2.3V, and don;t forget to Update the BIOS.

BoxDude said:
What version are you running that 4Ghz on?? Did you get past 375mhz?

Sorry i should have changed that. That was my last D805 @ 4ghz. :D. There is a guys who match this board with DS3 and have benchmarks in Xtremesystems. He says

OK, I am now having an F-ed up issue. I had 400FSB priming overnight fine, and when I turned my computer on today and it wouldn't boot. I had to reset CMOS and now when I make changes in the Cell Menu it won't stick?

I am running the 714B. No clue how to fix this?

Sc0ttFern said:
OK, I am now having an F-ed up issue. I had 400FSB priming overnight fine, and when I turned my computer on today and it wouldn't boot. I had to reset CMOS and now when I make changes in the Cell Menu it won't stick?

I am running the 714B. No clue how to fix this?

Well dude first of all update the BIOS to 715B. It will solve most of the problems, but not booting problem. I have the same problem, some time if you boot after 4 or some hours it won;t boot first time, you restart your computer it will boot second time. You don;t have to reset CMOS every time.

It is just a boot issue, or cold boot issue i should say. About settings not sticking in the BIOS, i would recommend updating the BIOS as soon as possible.

I have a question regarding flashing the bios from 714 -> 715. I forgot to save optimized defaults before I flashed to 715. Could that be why my new settings are not sticking after I save?

Sc0ttFern said:
I have a question regarding flashing the bios from 714 -> 715. I forgot to save optimized defaults before I flashed to 715. Could that be why my new settings are not sticking after I save?

You are good to go, all you can do is reset CMOS with the button on the motherboard. But i don;t think so that could cause any problem.

Did you solved some of your problems by flashing new BIOS.

Yes, I flashed to the 715 and it took care of the settings issue. However, I have the cold boot issue that a lot of other people are having as well. It's pointless to OC on this motherboard because if I ever turn the PC off the next time I turn it on I will get a bios error and it takes 10 minutes to get it to turn on.

hmmm.. sup peeps i'm doin fairly well with my oc's... not sure, maybe i'm just lucky. uhh... the northbridge cooler get's pretty hot on this thing, just to let yall know, and i'm still oc'n, this is what i got so far:
390.JPG

i'm tryin 400 right now, but i just errored out from cpu1 after 3 minutes... so it's time to up the voltage again... i dont want to go too high because i'm only using a stock cooler. my noctua hs is in the mail... yarrggh... along with a thermaltake armor. woohoo! aightee, i'll post more results as i get them.

uhh... so yah... how do i set the multiplier on this thing? i'm so confused about overclocking on this board, i'm just kind of doing a guess and check thing. i'm hopin i dont overload something soon..
umm... can you guys post a link to the core dual utility thing? i have a driver cd, but it doesnt have that utility on it.
edit: never mind... i found it. ;)

I've gotten up to 2.8 on my stock cooler. I'm really not sure how youre supposed to get an accurate temperature reading since every client I use says something different.
According to BIOS I'm at around 45C at idle but speed fan rarely goes over 40C when running superpi 32m. Should I try to go further? It's perfectly stable right now at stock voltage.

I forgot to mention that this is with the 7.0 bios that shipped with the board.

BoxDude said:
I've gotten up to 2.8 on my stock cooler. I'm really not sure how youre supposed to get an accurate temperature reading since every client I use says something different.
According to BIOS I'm at around 45C at idle but speed fan rarely goes over 40C when running superpi 32m. Should I try to go further? It's perfectly stable right now at stock voltage.

I forgot to mention that this is with the 7.0 bios that shipped with the board.

yah my temp readings are all over the place. my bios reports like 59C, but looks all funky, flashes a little, like it's having a hard time gettin that number up there. speedfan always reports something really low, and then the dual core center reports something a little more believable. i'm trusting dual core center for the moment. 55C's CPU at full load, with 42C system temp sounds about right. i hope i'm not burning out my chip. ;p i'm using the 7.0 bios also. it's the only one that msi live comes up with. i'd really rather not flash to the beta ones as i dont trust beta bios's on a $190 board. i'd really like to push this thing more, but the temps are getting too high. i hit 56C's yesterday (410fsb) while doin orthos, and it froze up. so i'd really rather not push anymore til i get my new hsf and case. highest volts i've set are 1.35 for cpu and 2.0 for ram. my 1gb of 5300 mushkin runs pretty good at 400mhz with 2volts. hehe. if you're using a stock cooler i say stock volts are the best way to go. should hit 390 fsb with 50C temps i think... dun remember what stock volts are supposed to be anyhow. hehe. :p well good luck to yah, i'll be testin the oc on my ram for the time bein.

God this can't possibly get anymore frustrating. I thought, what the heck, give it one more try. Go into bios...set voltages, vcore = 1.43v, vdimm = 2.3v, PCIeV = 1.5v and set FSB to 375. Loose timings 5-5-5-15 and see what I can do.

Initially, it wouldn't reboot, so I shut her down and unplugged PSU. Plugged everything back in, and IT BOOTS!!! Get into Windows, verify FSB and clock speed via CPU-Z and now its showing 267FSB. Why o why?

What is this weirdness? Please I am begging here MSI engineers. I need a better bios. This one is so weak.

What is your cpu running at? If windows says that it's what it should be with a 375 fsb then it should be fine.

BoxDude said:
What is your cpu running at? If windows says that it's what it should be with a 375 fsb then it should be fine.

No you misunderstood. I set the FSB to 375 in the bios, turned the PC off. Cold booted and once I got into Windows, CPU-Z confirmed that I was still at stock settings (267FSB). The bios automatically set my FSB back to stock settings?

Sc0ttFern said:
God this can't possibly get anymore frustrating. I thought, what the heck, give it one more try. Go into bios...set voltages, vcore = 1.43v, vdimm = 2.3v, PCIeV = 1.5v and set FSB to 375. Loose timings 5-5-5-15 and see what I can do.

Initially, it wouldn't reboot, so I shut her down and unplugged PSU. Plugged everything back in, and IT BOOTS!!! Get into Windows, verify FSB and clock speed via CPU-Z and now its showing 267FSB. Why o why?

What is this weirdness? Please I am begging here MSI engineers. I need a better bios. This one is so weak.

be patient. there's a trick to it. it wont boot up unless it goes cold. what i do is after i set everything in bios and save it, the computer restarts. it turns on, but usually doesnt boot up. so i manually hold down my power button for 10 seconds to power down. when i power up again bios settings are the way i left it. dont reset as that does nothing, and i dont think you need to unplug the psu. just hold down the power button. i know it's working when my vga card spins up. it just takes a little patience to OC with this board because of all the kinks in it. they need to fix the bootup bug is all. umm... i use auto on my ram timings because it might be a little finicky so i'd rather just oc first then tweak the ram later. so far my highest boot into windows succesfully is @ 415. anything else above that usually wont get past the windows xp loading screen. heat is holding me back, i'm hitting 60c's idle with the stock cooler on 1.45volts, or so the bios says, and the northbridge cooler is too hot to touch. it's annoying to spend so much money on a board only to have it be subpar in stability. here's a pic.

sidenote... i'm a nublet at OC'n on intel stuff. tell me if any of my settings need tweaking for all you intel OC gawds. ;p
415.JPG

ahh yes... does anyone know how to set the multiplier on this thing? i'm not even sure on the dividers... because i set it, and it doesnt show on cpuz. confused as heck right now. :confused:

I'm at 400 right now and in real-life usage is completely stable. I errored out of superpi on the last 32m loop though, and the stock northbridge heatsink will burn you, so I am going to turn it down a tad back to 375. This is on stock voltage too. It's amazing how well these chips OC.

hmm... anything over 400 is unstable during prime/orthos. i can do superpi, but i cant prime. wierd... 415 is my max that can boot to windows. got a new hsf and temps are now in the high 40's low 50's but the overclocking is still the same as when i had a stock cooler, so it's not the temps screwing it up. highest volts i been willing to put into this thing is 1.45, maybe i should go higher? hehe... afraid of killing everything too. well... my northbridge cooler ships today so i should be getting it by wednesday. see if that helps any (my nb hs gets super hot, like ow i shouldnt touch that hot).

something's up with my internet stability too, i'm not sure what it is, but i'll lose connection from time to time if i'm overclocking even if i put pci/fsb clock async.

There is 716 Beta Bios is out. I will post the link as soon as i get my hands on it. See if any one else find it. Please post the link, i will update the first thread.

annaconda said:
There is 716 Beta Bios is out. I will post the link as soon as i get my hands on it. See if any one else find it. Please post the link, i will update the first thread.

Please hurry! I want to try it before my new mobo comes! :eek:

yeesh, i want to try the new bios, but i'm a little reluctant. i'll see how you all fare first. hehe. besides, i dont really want to risk bricking this thing at the moment.

Oh my God. Looks like i am done with this motherboard, the new bios still won't let me go over 375FSB. I did not played with it a lot. I just tried 400 but no picture, but computer boots and black screen.

WTF?

you are a tard. just upping the FSB isn't going to work. its called the art of overclocking for a reason. i cant just slap a FSB way over spec and expect it to work. its called voltage and timing tweaking.

people are hitting 425-450 fsb on these boards. so ask what you are doing wrong, not the board.

annaconda said:
Oh my God. Looks like i am done with this motherboard, the new bios still won't let me go over 375FSB. I did not played with it a lot. I just tried 400 but no picture, but computer boots and black screen.

WTF?

you doin that whole hold the power button down for 10 seconds to turn off. turn on again to let it boot up at the new bios settings? i've been able to get to the windows load screen at 430, but every time i update my bios i have to completely turn the computer off, cant just reset it, and on turn it on again.

my new stable clock:
400primestable.JPG

Are you talking about this procedure. Yes when computer hangs i press the power button for 10 sec, until it shutsdown. Then restarts it, but above 375FSB it is not even posting, after changing in BIOS. I found this on Extreme Systems, guy mentioned this, can some one please try this and let us know, i am at work right now. :D

"Just a note: Well I notice there's a new bios so this may not be a problem anymore but here goes anyway, I'm thinking the boards problem with booting and sticking the bios setting has alot to do with MSI Dual cell bios recovery and chipset strapping, if you guys notice most 975X board do a full shutdown to reboot after changing to a high clock FSB or changing the straps on the chipset, but I think MSI can't do that correctly because if you ever owned a MSI with Dual Cell Bios, you'll know hitting the reset 2times will reset the Overclock to default. Every time it get stuck after a settings change, the board hangs in code 26 of my debug card. I notice thats where the voltages change during a successful boot. So, I figure, if it reboots to change settings it will trigger the Dual Cell to reset, so it just hangs? I found that I just have to wait abit and let it hang for 20-30 secs then I hit the reset myself, about 98% of the time it reboot with the setting I wanted (only hit it once or if you hit it twice you'll be reset to default). Well thats my 2Cents,but I maybe completely off and barking up the wrong tree"

y0bailey said:
you are a tard. just upping the FSB isn't going to work. its called the art of overclocking for a reason. i cant just slap a FSB way over spec and expect it to work. its called voltage and timing tweaking.

people are hitting 425-450 fsb on these boards. so ask what you are doing wrong, not the board.

Well dude i have been in overclocking long enough to know all the things. I spent 10 hours already to tried every setting possibly known. It is just not me there are lot more how don;t even past 360FSB, i was stuck at 360FSB also then i managed to get 375fsb by increasing Memory's voltage.

I tried every thing, but no work, every combination i could have done. But looks like the Extreme Systems guy's formula might work. I will try it tonight, but in the mean time can some one please try it.

Well i am using E6300, the most people who get past 400 are using E6400. Is there any one who is using E6300 and passed 400FSB with OCZ platinum XTC PC6400?

Memory is not the problem here, i am running it at @940 with 1:25

Annaconda im sick of hearing the complaining if you dont like the board go ahead return it. Nothing over spec is guranteed... but if you are looking for a motherboard with more potential and more features then anything on the market right now its the MSI 975X. MSI has been fast on the release of new bios and each release it gets better. I have been able to get 400 FSB perfectly stable on my e6600. I believe when they allow higher voltage on the vcore and options on the multi's this board will kick even more ass.

hmm... soo... i've umm put some active cooling over my northbridge (120mm fan blowing directly on it), and i've manage to boot up to windows @ 420. i'm guessing the northbridge cooling is not sufficient? dang... i'm hoping i hit higher when i get my zalman heatsink. i cant get it to boot windows up all the way with anything higher...
http://www.geocities.com/chig2/computer/420.JPG

nullzero said:
Annaconda im sick of hearing the complaining if you dont like the board go ahead return it. Nothing over spec is guranteed... but if you are looking for a motherboard with more potential and more features then anything on the market right now its the MSI 975X. MSI has been fast on the release of new bios and each release it gets better. I have been able to get 400 FSB perfectly stable on my e6600. I believe when they allow higher voltage on the vcore and options on the multi's this board will kick even more ass.

lol, dude don;t take it personaly. First of all when you spend $200 you don;t want to go through all this bullshit BIOS problems, overclocking on the one side you i cannot restart the computer with out shutting it down all the way then restart it.

Well i would have returned it, if seller won;t charge me 15% restocking fee and return shipping. If you like it so much why don;t you help me out and buy mine for $200 and return yours. :eek:

I am not the only one who is having this problem, there are hundreds more who want to resolve this problem. Like i said people with E6400 and E6600 are getting above 400fsb, i saw only one person with E6300 got above 400fsb with this board.

every board available from every manufacturer is having bios issues, memory issues, you name it issues. you are going to waste a lot of money on the current motherboards if you are going to give up this easily. that is the joys of adopting new technology. things are only going to improve, and believe it or not there isn't a BIOS team at MSI who solely reads these forums and makes every change we request the next day. it is going to take some time (and hopefully not a motherboard revision) to make this board great. right now it is good, lets hope it will become great.

plus i dont see the point of spending any more money for 100 more mhz. what is the big fucking deal? I know everyone likes to push it to the limits, but 100mhz doesn't mean shit in real life performance. you won't notice any improvements, and you won't get more than 1-2 FPS in games.

sit back and relax, keep tweaking and testing every last aspect of the board, report it in the forums, pray MSI does something about it, but don't have a shitfit over 100mhz. you e-penis may not be the largest, but your still running a fucking c2d while most of us loley noobs are so lucky to have a pentium D ;)

I am not quiting, i am trying to find the solution. Every one stay calmn and enjoy :D. I think you guys also agree with me, that no one was expecting that many problem from a $200 motherboard.

But any way back to the Motherboard Tweaking :cool:

annaconda said:
I am not quiting, i am trying to find the solution. Every one stay calmn and enjoy :D. I think you guys also agree with me, that no one was expecting that many problem from a $200 motherboard.

But any way back to the Motherboard Tweaking :cool:

bwahaha. yups. i like this board, even though it's bein an arse. it's like goin out with a real hot chick who's got all the goodies, but has a bad attitdue. hehe... i know i won't keep it for long, i just want to play with it, and then when i'm bored i'll pass it along to the next person willing to shell out some cash for it. ;p

anyone replaced the northbridge cooler on this thing yet? i'll have mine in a few days, but i was wondering if it helped at all.

Back