OFFICIAL Logitech G15, mods and LCD stuff.

Anyone attempted to change the backlighting color of the keys themselves, I've opened my keyboard up before and it seems easy enough in theroy (im thinking of changing the G keys to green, F keys to red, numpad to yellow or something...) By cutting the plexi and adding additional leds, the only thing that would get in the way is where to get the power from because I bet that little red/black wire only supports the 11 LEDS in there currently...
you could get power from the USB 1.1 ports. +5v from each

why do you want bullets/HP for any game? they are always in the HUD anyways. You didn't buy a $80 keyboard so you can have repeated information displayed. What's really cool is to display information that needs to be toggled to see on screen, for example, player stats and server info. And luckily enough there is already a battlefield 2 mod that does this for the G15 and it works and it rocks.

http://www.g15forums.com//index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=39&func=fileinfo&id=51

I agree.. bullets and HP would not be too useful... especially if you have to look away from the screen to see it.

larkin said:
why do you want bullets/HP for any game? they are always in the HUD anyways. You didn't buy a $80 keyboard so you can have repeated information displayed. What's really cool is to display information that needs to be toggled to see on screen, for example, player stats and server info. And luckily enough there is already a battlefield 2 mod that does this for the G15 and it works and it rocks.

http://www.g15forums.com//index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=39&func=fileinfo&id=51
nice...

now if only i didnt have 3 monitors these programs might be a little more useful :(

Are there any LCD mods for the Logitech 5000 kb? Would the ones made for the G15 work also?

just got mine and tryin to get the latest on whats up with teh g15s

I've gone to several compusa's, bestbuys, etc, and noone has th G15, Mx518, or G5/G7 to sample. ugh. :rolleyes:

What are people doing about the black on the keys rubbing off?

RMA it? logitech send new key?

Help?

bandit390 said:
What are people doing about the black on the keys rubbing off?

RMA it? logitech send new key?

Help?

I think you can RMA it. Mine is rubbing off, as well, but I like it like that. I don't look at the keys anyway. Call me weird or whatever, but it looks cool. But yeah, I think RMA is what most people have been successful with.

I just ordered one to replace my eluminX. I've always wanted one ever sense they displayed it at QuakeCon '05 during the [H] workshop.
Should be fun to play around with :)

I really like mine, I just need to figure out a little more about the LCD display programming so I can set up my own stuff.

Thought I would post up a few of our keyboards. These are 3 of the Austin Modders G15's. We got together this weekend and changed the lights. I painted the silver part on mine red to go with my case.

orange, green and red LEDs.

137611754_3740357349.jpg

137612336_26843af9a4.jpg

These things are a pain to get into but they are really fun to mod. Lots of potential.

am I the only person who doesn't quite have the macros and profile functions set properly?

I set the profiles but for some reason, even when the new profile is activated it stays on the default G-Key settings. I want the G-Keys to change when a new profile is activated.

Can I set a G-Key to open a certain program?

Is there a guide I can read or can someone break it down for me in detail, cause I thought I was doing the right things but apparently not.

i know, nubsauce.....:rolleyes: but whatever, i wanna know :D

Sheldog23 said:
Thought I would post up a few of our keyboards. These are 3 of the Austin Modders G15's. We got together this weekend and changed the lights. I painted the silver part on mine red to go with my case.

orange, green and red LEDs.

These things are a pain to get into but they are really fun to mod. Lots of potential.
Pretty. I'd actually likr a mod that saw'd off the G keys hehe. I like this keyboard a lot for the LCD, media controls and lights. The G keys annoy me (keep hitting G1 for ESC and G16 for CTRL). Anyone else?

Here's a few good fixes for the keys rubbing off issue.

1. No Key Removal: Use a fine artists brush (availiable at an arts and crafts store) to brush on at least 3 layers of polyurethane as thin and as evenly as you can.

2. Key Removal: Remove the keys and place them on a peg board type arrangement. Leave at least 1/2" in between keys. Spray with polyurethane, 3 to 5 coats, very light spray. Anyone with an airbrush can get even better results because of the finer atomization of the poly, which will result in much more even coats.

As a side note, use an oil based poly if possible, it tends to be more durable than water based stuff. Clear acrylic may also be possible, but I don't know what kind of results you will get. The poly tends to dry fast if sprayed on in very light coats.

PsycoGeek said:
Here's a few good fixes for the keys rubbing off issue.

1. No Key Removal: Use a fine artists brush (availiable at an arts and crafts store) to brush on at least 3 layers of polyurethane as thin and as evenly as you can.

2. Key Removal: Remove the keys and place them on a peg board type arrangement. Leave at least 1/2" in between keys. Spray with polyurethane, 3 to 5 coats, very light spray. Anyone with an airbrush can get even better results because of the finer atomization of the poly, which will result in much more even coats.
good suggestions but your forgetting:

3. call logitech and get a new keyboard sent to you for free.

:D

Didn't forget that at all. You could do that, but what about when the keys rub off again? An ounce of prevention beats a week without you sweet ass keyboard...

I love my Keyboard, but for some reason I cant get any macros to work in BF2..... Tried setting up a Crouch-Prone-Left-left-left and when I hit it nothing happens.....

I check my profile and all the keystrokes are there in the "Quick Macro" funtion... But in-Game.. Nada.....

I open up a Text editor and hit the key... And they comeup inthe editor just fine as well...

Weird

Impaqt said:
I love my Keyboard, but for some reason I cant get any macros to work in BF2..... Tried setting up a Crouch-Prone-Left-left-left and when I hit it nothing happens.....

I check my profile and all the keystrokes are there in the "Quick Macro" funtion... But in-Game.. Nada.....

I open up a Text editor and hit the key... And they comeup inthe editor just fine as well...

Weird

Some games are meant to prevent any type of macros, or "cheating" type of keyboards, mice, or even controllers. Im almost 99.99% sure that it is not the Logitech software but rather BF2 preventing the use of it, since it could be a form of "cheating".

I have macros working in BF2 just fine. Not quite the same as yours, since I don't cheat.

Mine are all 1-button macros.

G1 is for chat.
G2 is team chat.
G3 is for squad chat.
Etc...

Impaqt said:

Weird

If you have to "hold in" those keys on the keyboard, then the Macro doesn't pick them up. For instance, if holding in "ALT" is your crouch, you can't make a Macro of ALT + W to crouch and go forward, because you'd have to hold in ALT.

Viper16 said:
Some games are meant to prevent any type of macros, or "cheating" type of keyboards, mice, or even controllers. Im almost 99.99% sure that it is not the Logitech software but rather BF2 preventing the use of it, since it could be a form of "cheating".

I can't fathom this being the case since EA doesn't seem to be able to put out a patch for the game that doesn't break something else. I doubt they could write code to purposely break something... :rolleyes:

Impaqt said:
Nothing happens? Maybe it is enterring the keys too quickly for the game to respond. Are there any delays in between each key? You can add delays in the macro software.
I think if you use the Quick Macro feature, no delays are entered.

Thats a neat little utility, now I can see exactly what settings the cpu actually gets from the bios. For example, my ht setting for my 3400+ s939 really is locked at 800mhz.

The little amd proggy got me to cleaning up an ircmon g15 prog I had sitting around for a while. It's far from what I would call 100% stable, but it works fine enough so I figured I'd upload it for others to use. It's written in C using the windows api and winsock (program actually connects to irc not some mirc log reader) Download Here

Instructions:
Place the exe somewhere you like, (logitech keeps their lcd progs in C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-Series Software\Applets)

Run it and hit cancel. (when a program runs and inits the lcd, it gets an entry in your control panel lcd manager control, and will be launched automatically by logitech's startup process on bootup. The program gets a working directory of documents and settings\username when started on bootup by logitech and a working directory of where ever you put the exe if you clicked on it. Long story short, if you were to type in your information now instead of hitting cancel it would save the ini file in the wrong place.)

On your next logon you will get the same config dialog box, fill it up and it will try to connect. (or completely screw up if it cant with no friendly user output) Font button and password box arent coded to do anything yet. Real name / username can be anything just some crap irc servers ask for when connecting, mode is a number asked for when connecting kinda like channel modes as well, just put zero there unless you know what connecting mode I'm talking about. (Look into irc rfc if you are really interested)

If you want to close the prog and delete it open up task manager kill the ircmon.exe process, delete the exe, and uncheck "enable" in your lcd manager and it will disapear out of that list. Congrats its gone forever.

I'll release the source code with it if / when I get around to cleaning it up to the point of where I'm proud to show it off.

If it manages to connect it should be fine for quite a long time, if it tells gives you a memory error right after clicking it or after a short period of actually being connected let me know cause I'd love to figure out any system specific bugs.

I might make a little clipboard viewer prog for it if I get motivated/bored enough, which should be a lot easier of a prog. So stay tuned! there might be one in four years ;o)

Long post comes to an end.

Decided to go ahead and make the clipboard viewer this morning. Here it is I just gutted the ircmon code and implemented a basic clipboard CF_TEXT viewer nearly cut n paste identical from the petzold example. (Well, except for going to the lcd of course) Anyhow, first button closes the program, if this crashes I would be extremely surprised

Note: Clipboard viewers are daisy chained together. If you have more than one running for some odd reason and you kill this process with task manager instead of pressing the button, bad things might happen to the other clipboard viewers. (Like they might stop working, horror.)

Edit: Added CF_HDROP, so you can see the paths of files when copyed.

Added quite a bit of functionality to clipmon and made a half way official release of it. (I will probably sit on the ircMon sourcecode for quite some time (forever) so I figured I'd just add some flavor to this and release it instead)

It handles everything more elegantly than the 5 minute hack job above (actually handles newlines, tabs, etc) and includes a configuration dialog, unicode, and x64 support. (Note: The logitech lcd sdk doesnt support the hiding of apps that popup yet, when it does the alert function will popup for 3 seconds then return you to your previous lcdapp. Just disable that in the config page so its no so annoying untill the next logitech software update.)

My complete source code folder is included and is fairly pretty for all to see and judge me upon. If you spot something in the source you would like me to fix email to [email protected] I welcome constructive criticism. (Was @gotomy.com, but the email provider for that site is going down. (I knew the site owner is why I used that email.)

Feel free to play with the source code and use it in your own projects if you want, but please dont just download it change the icon and call it your own. ;o)
[My icon is attractive though isnt it]

-Enjoy

clipMon v1.0.0
clipMon v1.0.0.1 - forgot to rename the version in the code, so I just added another spot ;o)

I placed my order at Newegg today for a G15 and a MX518. I went with the MX518 over the G5 because I love the two thumb buttons compared to one. This should be a huge upgrade over my Logitech Elite and MX510.

It's making me anxious reading some of the stuff at www.g15mods.com.

I remember reading some where that someone wanted to change the startup logo. If you use a resouce editor you can change the logo that comes up with lcdmon.exe and that annoying "lcd screen saver" string can be changed by hex editing. The logo that comes up on boot is actually inside the keyboard hardware so that isnt quite so easy to get too. (And I wouldnt know where to start even if I had the thing apart) ;o)

lol, just found an x64 manifest file in the keyboard profiler resources, now x64 will have xp style buttons in config page. ;o)

Back