OFFICIAL Logitech G15, mods and LCD stuff.

/sniff

It's so beautiful!

I was worried that the community support for the keyboard had dropped off the map.

good idea. i'll make a section with some sort of list of things that people want. i'll start on it late tonight or tomorrow morning.

if you guys think this will take off, i can install a simple forum too...? however it would be much easier to do a forum once the site has a permanent home. (right now it is a sub domain off my personal website.)

how about graphic equ's like windows mp10 has? :p

to me i think it should have been a color lcd :( but then like my other question about useing OLED, cost :mad:

soulsaver

soulsaver_8229 said:
how about graphic equ's like windows mp10 has? :p

to me i think it should have been a color lcd :( but then like my other question about useing OLED, cost :mad:
Nice idea about the graphic EQ, would be a neat little app if you could even change the EQ using the black buttons. I don't know if that's even possible or not, though.

I have sent my load_bmp.exe app to ewarz. So, just as soon as he it gets it up on the website all of you can download it! It’s not all that big, just 24K (with the example bitmap), so I could host it here, but it would be best to have an officially unofficial site for all apps and mods.

Edit: My email to ewarz is getting bounced back by gmail, so I'll just add a link here for now. LoadBMP.zip

blurredvision said:
I've started a thread over at the Anandtech forum as well, where someone has coded the LCD to just say "test" at the moment. It's a start, I guess :).

Really?! Well, here are a few examples just in case anyone thought I was just using text. :cool:

WhatsOn.JPG

aquilla.JPG

Farseer said:
Really?! Well, here are a few examples just in case anyone thought I was just using text.
Well, pictures are nice and all, but we're no further than when this thread started. :p

blurredvision said:
Well, pictures are nice and all, but we're no further than when this thread started. :p

I would not say that, it a start... and can be of use...

Zardoz said:
I would not say that, it a start... and can be of use...
Indeed, it is a start, but we could post all the LCD pics we wanted and still be no further in using this LCD like it could be used. Not unless you keep forgetting which key does what, then you could make a picture that tells you which key ducks or something :p.

We have to crawl before we can walk! We have to walk before we can run! When we run, look the f out!

SarverSystems said:
We have to crawl before we can walk! We have to walk before we can run! When we run, look the f out!

you know it...

blurredvision said:
Indeed, it is a start, but we could post all the LCD pics we wanted and still be no further in using this LCD like it could be used. Not unless you keep forgetting which key does what, then you could make a picture that tells you which key ducks or something :p.

Most things at the start are very simple. as time goes things will come. you have to remember that this keyboard is about 2 weeks old and still very new.

if you followed the PSP homebrew at all. The first programs was just something that displayed "hello world" now there is alot of stuff being done...

Hopefully ill pick one up tommrow, And i want to start working on something that would display either chat or combat log from WOW. Dunno if its possible, but it would be cool :D

Zardoz said:
Most things at the start are very simple. as time goes things will come. you have to remember that this keyboard is about 2 weeks old and still very new.

if you followed the PSP homebrew at all. The first programs was just something that displayed "hello world" now there is alot of stuff being done...
I'm not knocking you guys for creating pictures, please understand this! :) I'm just saying that some of you guys are "crawling" already, so get up and walk already! :p

Of course, even if I did have anything bad to say, it would be pointless, because I'm adding nothing to this endeavor but a cheerleading section. If I knew some programming, I'd hop in, but I'm worthless in that department. Now, if you need a beta tester, or some bandwidth hosting a crap-load of pics of what you've made, then I'm your man. :D

Farseer said:
I have sent my load_bmp.exe app to ewarz. So, just as soon as he it gets it up on the website all of you can download it! It’s not all that big, just 24K (with the example bitmap), so I could host it here, but it would be best to have an officially unofficial site for all apps and mods.

Edit: My email to ewarz is getting bounced back by gmail, so I'll just add a link here for now. LoadBMP.zip
awesome work man. im adding your mod right now. i dont know why gmail is rejecting the mail... maybe they block zip files or something.

no big deal though. in about a week, i will buy a hosting plan so that the site has a permanent home.

Hopefully ill pick one up tommrow, And i want to start working on something that would display either chat or combat log from WOW. Dunno if its possible, but it would be cool

I'm hoping to do the same thing for DAoC once I finish learning C++ (currently in the proccess). Since most MMO's don't allow you to intercept any data in the data stream my idea was to basically make the program a chat log parser since all the combat spam is output to the chat log when logging is turned on. If WoW has a chat logging feature that also outputs the combat spam to the log, you could probably do the same.

[edit] spelling

blurredvision said:
I'm not knocking you guys for creating pictures, please understand this! :) I'm just saying that some of you guys are "crawling" already, so get up and walk already! :p
You know, real life tends to get in the way sometimes. One of my mom's pets died Friday so I spent most of the day Saturday over at her house (hence why the app release was later then I had planned). Then my HTPC died last night! :mad: So, I'll be spending some time working on that now.

Anyway, the next version will use the EZLCDWrapper and will load actual bitmaps instead of text files. I wanted to have it done by next weekend, but now I don't know.

If anyone needs any additional hosting/bandwith, let me know--simply IM, PM, or email (preferred) and let me know what you need.

I don't have the board yet, but I'm following all your work. Good luck!

G15-PDXLAN.jpg

Worked up a couple for my Loch Ness mod to come. Still working out which ones look best in reverse or need cleaning up to clarify the object.

Any way we can get you to compile the full EZ_LCD_Wrapper proggy? Or is it still spitting out errors?

You guys at PDXLAN suck!!! Any by suck, I mean kickass. Your website is a rolemodel for our website. Your site has given me so much inspiration. So much so that I even posted on your boards.

Anyways, back to the LCD, yeah, being able to display bitmaps would be cool too.

thx, I think its a great event too.

I would have done [H], but that was already done, so I didn't want to be repetitive.

I took my G15 apart, hoping to find a comparatively "easy" way to change out the LEDs.

What I found was a sandwich of PCB, clear acrylic, and touch sensitive switches.

Luckily, when the LCD ribbon cable came out, I was able to get it back together properly.

I didn't want to risk messing up any more of the ribbon connectors. :eek:

can someone tell he how long the G15 is? is it longer then normal keyboards because of the programmable keys?

EDIT: nm i found it 21.5"

yeah, its pretty long...almost as long as if you had another 10 key on the left.

the G keys are 3 columsn, while a 10key is 4 columns.

Xyrax said:
I'm hoping to do the same thing for DAoC once I finish learning C++ (currently in the proccess). Since most MMO's don't allow you to intercept any data in the data stream my idea was to basically make the program a chat log parser since all the combat spam is output to the chat log when logging is turned on. If WoW has a chat logging feature that also outputs the combat spam to the log, you could probably do the same.

[edit] spelling
I dunno how it would work in DAoC, but im sure in wow it will be alot easier than anything else, Wow has the ability to have user created UI mods to do what they want. my inital guess is that it will just be as simple as writing a UI mod that grabs all the chat or combat log, and then tosses it out to whatever the g15 uses. I think the harder part will be the g15 side.

As of right now, i dont have a g15, im going to call the real local BB and see when they will be getting more in, but chances are ill be forced to run down to the store a half hour away. Luckly i got $37 bb bucks waiting to be used to buy this :D

FarSeer, is that a g7 dongle chilling behind your keyboard? Where did you get a g7 at?

I'm from Germany and unfortunately, the G15 is not yet available here.
I have an HD44780 LCD and wrote already software for it (I'm not a professional developer, but it worked :p ). If I can do the same with the G15, I think I'll buy one.
So I looked for the SDK (not yet downloadable from logitech) to find out the possibilities and found this thread. :D
I just read the documentation and it seems to be rather easy to develop some applets. The tool VLCDCtrl.exe would allow me to test my programs without the G15 hardware, but I still need LCDMon.exe and lgLcdAPI.dll, or better the whole driver installer. Could someone offer a download url for these, please?

SarverSystems asked, if we could emulate an HD44780 to use software like LCDStudio, jaLCDs ... IMO that makes no sense. Translating the information into HD44780-commands and then extracting the information again to send it to the G15 would be a bad workaround. Seems to be easier to develop new applets without the HD44780 stuff or add G15-support directly into the LCD program.

Displaying information on the G15 is rather simple, the hard job is to get this information from other programs/games. If they support sharing information (like MBM, Winamp and Teamspeak) or are open source, it's easy/possible. If not, we need some professional code gurus. :cool:

Using the G15 display as a messenger window needs to "steal" the pressed keys from the active application. Don't know if that's possible, but it sounds interesting ...

Thanks ewarz for http://www.g15mods.com, a forum there would be nice.

Dgephri said:
could you at least host up the EX_LCD_Wrapper.exe?

I can't even get it to compile, but I know nothing about C++, I was just trying the DevC++ bundle.

I wonder if we could get it to display the text log from MBM as a graphic and set a ReConnect interval or something so the log is refreshed every 2-10 minutes?

I'm a C++ instructor, where is the SDK. Is it on the keyboard CD? I've got the keyboard. I can at least take a look at it and see how it looks.

Rombus said:
FarSeer, is that a g7 dongle chilling behind your keyboard? Where did you get a g7 at?
Yes, that is a G7 dongle and the mouse works great. I got the mouse from NewEgg, but they are currently out of stock..

where is the best place to buy a G15? I currently have a LX 700 wireless keyboard mouse combo. How cool is the G15? does the lcd actualy display stuff in games? I like it because it can light up the keys.

is the G7 just a wireless G5? if so is it worth it to get it? or should I go for a G5 or something. $60 for the keyboard, $60 for the mouse, 20$ for mousepad. this might be expensive to upgrade.

the G7 IS the G5 with batteries, no variable weights, and a charging station. I have both.

The G15 doesn't YET work with many games, so far its on the Game Publishers to integrate that.

The G15 does show CPU utilization, RAM utilization, clock, and Multimedia stuff (WinAmp titles and such).

Hopefully some clever C++ guys like the group here can eventually work up some MBM stuff, and maybe even cycling BMP routines.

;)

I think we all need to focus on MBM for now, and see how that goes. Once that is done, we can expand upon that.

Here are the complied versions of the SDK samples if anyone would like to try a few more demo apps. I just compiled the samples as they are. The errors in EZLCDWrapper were because a target Windows version was not declared, and the error in Framework was because you have to define the app name.

ewarz: Just gab the samples and place them on your site when you get a chance.

thanks for all the samples and stuff guys!

Anyways this had to be done... :D :D :D

hard_g15.jpg

Max-Powers said:
where is the best place to buy a G15? I currently have a LX 700 wireless keyboard mouse combo. How cool is the G15? does the lcd actualy display stuff in games? I like it because it can light up the keys.

is the G7 just a wireless G5? if so is it worth it to get it? or should I go for a G5 or something. $60 for the keyboard, $60 for the mouse, 20$ for mousepad. this might be expensive to upgrade.

I think right now the only place to get the G15 is Best Buy. I know Buy.com might have had them at one point (or maybe just a preorder) but they are now marked sold out. Amazon also lists it as a preorder. Seems like the best deal on one currently is to hit up Best Buy when there's a 10% coupon (or better) floating around.

What would be cool is an LCD display that shows your Mobo, CPU and GPU temps. And if you are running SLI it would show both GPU temps.

This would be great to see how hot your stuff is while playing F.E.A.R. with max visuals at 1920X1200 resolution.

gn0me said:
What would be cool is an LCD display that shows your Mobo, CPU and GPU temps. And if you are running SLI it would show both GPU temps.

This would be great to see how hot your stuff is while playing F.E.A.R. with max visuals at 1920X1200 resolution.
yeah, cause it would be completely useless to see how hot the computer was while gaming at resolutions under 1920x1200... :rolleyes:

Back