OFFICIAL Logitech G15, mods and LCD stuff.

I've never seen so many people this excited over a keyboard. Sheesh!

And, this made me laugh my ass off. Thanks enlight :D

enlightenedby42 said:
Maybe it could print words of encouragement to me every time I get my ass fragged off by a pubeless 8 year old kid.
"You'll get 'em next time!" "Nice hustle out there!" "You don't suck THAT bad!"

FRAPS was a good idea. Personally, I'm using konfabulator for most of my non-gaming info needs anyway, and it looks prettier.

We need a app that would display FPS, Teamspeak, and X-Fire, and CPU Temps all at the same time.

Met-AL said:
We need a app that would display FPS, Teamspeak, and X-Fire, and CPU Temps all at the same time.

team speak.. it already has the info for roger wilco i think :)

I wonder if it would be possible to make the screen show the name of who connected while on ventrilo, etc. Take it a step further and make the screen show who is currently talking and who the last 3 people that talked are.

you could probably break down the teamspeakoverlay and use some coding ideas from that

Everyone has some great ideas, but the question is... who's gonna code it all? So far I haven't run into a single person who knows how to code for this thing.

Xaeos said:
Think someone could code a way to see and actually TYPE instant messages for them major clients? For instance, I have a game up full screen and my IMs in the background. Friend says "Hey". Instant message from X: "Hey" shows up on LCD. Then I press one of the context sensitive buttons, and my keyboard now can be used to type a reply!

Xfire ??

OK, here's a brain fart... Now follow me on this....

Open the keyboard, see who makes the LCD. Hopefully the manufacturer is supported by one of the many LCD programmers out there, like LCD Studio or JaLCDs.

Since the keyboard is USB only, the LCD must be LCD powered. If so, just disconnect it from whever it is plugged in, make a small USB harness and plug it into one of the 2 USB ports on the back of the keyboard (or internally if you are good!!!).

Kaizer said:
mine displayed the stuff from Winamp.. but for what ever reason the controls did nothing. Maybe ill reinstall Winamp to see if it helps.
Doesn't work for me either. Works for WMP but not winamp.

Here's how to get the controls to work with winamp (for those of you having problems.)

1. Open Winamp.
2. Right Click somewhere in Winamp, Go to Options, then Preferences.
3. Under General Preferences, go to Global Hotkeys.
4. Check the 'Enabled' checkbox.
5. Now you have to manually enter the keystroke you want associated with the various commands. For example, go to Playback: Play, then change the key to be associated with the Play button on the keyboard.
6. Once you have done this with all 4 buttons on the keyboard, click Close and test to verify that it worked.

If you still have problems, let me know.

SarverSystems said:
Everyone has some great ideas, but the question is... who's gonna code it all? So far I haven't run into a single person who knows how to code for this thing.

it is basic C++ coding

not very difficult to do. The hard part is actually getting the interface of the app to display on the LCD. That is NOT easy especially if it never had that built into it.

SarverSystems said:
OK, here's a brain fart... Now follow me on this....

Open the keyboard, see who makes the LCD. Hopefully the manufacturer is supported by one of the many LCD programmers out there, like LCD Studio or JaLCDs.

Since the keyboard is USB only, the LCD must be LCD powered. If so, just disconnect it from whever it is plugged in, make a small USB harness and plug it into one of the 2 USB ports on the back of the keyboard (or internally if you are good!!!).

umm why bother?

Logitech gave us the SDK for programming this thing? Making it complicated for no reason ;)

But so far I haven't seen even an inkling of interest to do the actual coding part of it. I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag, so I'd be no help.

I don't see any posts from anyone who can actually DO the coding.

I am certainly not one of them, but I'm quite confident there are people up to the task lurking around THESE forums. Now, whether any of it will see the light of day is a completely different matter.
So, if you'd stop interjecting reality into everybody's whimsical daydream of being able to turn the kitchen oven on with the G15 it would be greatly appreciated. :D

SarverSystems said:
But so far I haven't seen even an inkling of interest to do the actual coding part of it.

There actually is alot of interest, but getting access to the variables that we want from applications is probably the main stopping point.

For example... with FRAPS, it displays your FPS on the monitor... but accessing that variable is not possible without either an SDK or the source code of FRAPS. For games that are semi-open source (like Counterstrike, UT2004, and the like) it should be easy to get whatever information we need out.

This is from my knowledge of how it works, I might be wrong. What we really need is a developers forum where the people who are actually trying to do this kind of stuff can gather to share ideas and discuss solutions.

I am still thinking this may be easier to bdo if we could make the keyboard's LCD emulate as any other HD44780 complaint display.

If we can do that, then 9/10 of the battle is won.

Just a little tip for anyone having trouble with Winamp's hot keys. When i did mine, I selected Play and hit the Play/Pause button, then selected Pause and hit the Play/Pause button again. It wouldn't register the Pause because you can't have more than one function per key... but if you look around at the rest of the hot keys you will see one labeled Play/Pause. Use that one for both your Play and your Pause and you won't have any problems and it will work like a charm.

I still find it odd I didnt have to modify anything for my Dinovo keyboard.. but I did for the g15.

It must be something funky logitech then, I've always had to manually configure the media buttons in Winamp on every logitech keyboard I've owned. Of course, I've never owned any other kind of keyboard that has media functionality besides Logitech...

Is anyone hosting a G15 applet site yet? I might have something to contribute this weekend. :D

G15LCD-test.JPG

It's not all that special, but it's a start. I just looked at the SDK sample which displays the embedded Logitech logo and converted it to load a bitmapped text file instead. I've still got to do some error checking as my C is pretty rusty.

Farseer said:
Is anyone hosting a G15 applet site yet? I might have something to contribute this weekend. :D

I can host a site, if anyone wants to make it. I got a ton of bandwidth and storage that isn't really being used. The domain would be something like: g15.systekonline.com unless someone buys a different domain.

i can do add on domains for free with my current hosting package, so if someone wants to buy a domain i can host it

could you at least host up the EX_LCD_Wrapper.exe?

I can't even get it to compile, but I know nothing about C++, I was just trying the DevC++ bundle.

I wonder if we could get it to display the text log from MBM as a graphic and set a ReConnect interval or something so the log is refreshed every 2-10 minutes?

SarverSystems said:
But so far I haven't seen even an inkling of interest to do the actual coding part of it. I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag, so I'd be no help.

I don't see any posts from anyone who can actually DO the coding.

well as i stated before

the application MUST have the support for the LCD. If not it would take a wrapper of some sort to intercept calls..

for instance in UT it can be done as all it requires a read of a file while playing and it gets you the information.

But for the enwer games it is not that easy.

chiablo said:
There actually is alot of interest, but getting access to the variables that we want from applications is probably the main stopping point.

For example... with FRAPS, it displays your FPS on the monitor... but accessing that variable is not possible without either an SDK or the source code of FRAPS. For games that are semi-open source (like Counterstrike, UT2004, and the like) it should be easy to get whatever information we need out.

This is from my knowledge of how it works, I might be wrong. What we really need is a developers forum where the people who are actually trying to do this kind of stuff can gather to share ideas and discuss solutions.

you are correct

i had a frieind that designed a web page that displayed real time kills and deaths of a team in UT and UT2k3. Also what maps and team score on top of that. :)

Farseer said:

G15LCD-test.JPG

It's not all that special, but it's a start. I just looked at the SDK sample which displays the embedded Logitech logo and converted it to load a bitmapped text file instead. I've still got to do some error checking as my C is pretty rusty.

Nice. :cool:

I will hopefully be picking this keyboard up tonight. Do you have to program in C++? The reason I ask is because I'm a programmer but I don't know C++. I know C as well as a few other languages like PHP and what not. I wonder if one could create things in C using any compiles and have them run on the LCD.

hey guys. i put together something very dry and simple so that we have somewhere to start. i only spent about 1 hour on this and my web skills are not the greatest so please go easy on me. if anyone wants to help contribute anything for the site please email or PM them to me and i will slap them up asap. also, if anyone would like to put together any graphics for it, i would really appreciate it.

g15mods //AT// gmail.com

www.G15mods.com
(since i dont know how successful this will be, the hosting will piggy back off my personal website. if it grows, i will have no problem expanding.)

Paithar said:
I will hopefully be picking this keyboard up tonight. Do you have to program in C++? The reason I ask is because I'm a programmer but I don't know C++. I know C as well as a few other languages like PHP and what not. I wonder if one could create things in C using any compiles and have them run on the LCD.
If you know any C or C-based language then you will do fine. Logitech has actually done a pretty nice job of detailing each function. They could have included a few more samples, but there are is enough to get started. Actually there isn’t much to it. The hard part will be getting access/hooks to variables in other programs. But to answer your question, yes, you can create your own app to run just on the LCD. The four softbuttons gives the user direct access (Logitch even talks about using these buttons like on an ATM). Also, the screen is capable of 30 fps (with blurring), so you could program a game for it if you wanted.

ewarz said:
g15mods //AT// gmail.com
www.G15mods.com
Nice work! I will be sending my little app to you soon.

anyone know if it is easy to port from perl to C++?? if so i can get the UT app done easily :)

Back