Official LG Curved Ultrawide 34UC97 thread

There will undoubtedly be some distortion of the picture on a curved screen, since the images are rendered as if they are flat and then 'rolled' into the curve (like printing a picture on a flat piece of paper then rolled up around the sides a bit). Probably not so noticeable when looking at it straight on, but around the edge of your vision you might see a bit of distortion

I am trying to figure out if such distortions can be perceived and if they are of any significance. Note there are all kind of visual adaptation effects so even if distortions exist they might get compensated after some time of using the monitor. This has to be compared with a wide flat monitor in which the area close to edges is seen at bigger angl resulting in less comfort. For example, when taking the existing 34" 21:9 flat and curved monitors I guess the curved one will feel more comfortable. Best of course would be test this with own eyeballs but I have yet no possibility of getting such two monitors and run with different applications. Gaming is probably no-brainer for curved but e.g. office apps???

Oh so if anyone wants to know. The sleep issues with the monitor are gone. The cycling issue on the 34UM95 does not exist on the 34UC97.

Was there a fix for it? I have a 34UM95 being pushed by a GTX670 running through the displayport and it won't go to sleep. When it does it keeps waking itself up trying to go into power saving mode. Never ending loop, windows are being re-sized when i shake the mouse to wake it up. Windows keeps making the new hardware sound, very annoying. I have the power saving mode on the monitor turned off. Latest nVidia drivers.

So is the curved version 100% confirmed to have more input lag than the flat version? It's hard to find information on these monitors...

Was there a fix for it? I have a 34UM95 being pushed by a GTX670 running through the displayport and it won't go to sleep. When it does it keeps waking itself up trying to go into power saving mode. Never ending loop, windows are being re-sized when i shake the mouse to wake it up. Windows keeps making the new hardware sound, very annoying. I have the power saving mode on the monitor turned off. Latest nVidia drivers.

The only fix that I'm aware of is to get a GTX 970 or 980 and run the monitor off of the HDMI 2.0 output which supports 3440x1440 @ 60hz. Not much of a solution if you're on an older card, I know, but some people claimed to not have the sleep issue over DP so I don't know.

So is the curved version 100% confirmed to have more input lag than the flat version? It's hard to find information on these monitors...

Links to PRADs reviews were posted and quoted a few times in this thread.

34UM95

34UC97

Last edited:
So... the curved monitor more suitable for immersive home entertainment (games) has more input lag than the flat monitor more suitable for professional use.

Brillant, LG.

I saw those. I just don't want to base the purchase of such an expensive monitor on a single review. I want to see if the input lag difference is widespread, because I'm skeptical.

PRAD is pretty thorough and reputable.

You could always wait for the Dell or Samsung versions and see how they perform.

I don't really understand why the curved LG would have more lag either. It'll be interesting to see if this is a characteristic of curved TVs as well.

PRAD is pretty thorough and reputable.

You could always wait for the Dell or Samsung versions and see how they perform.

I don't really understand why the curved LG would have more lag either. It'll be interesting to see if this is a characteristic of curved TVs as well.

http://www.displaylag.com/lg-samsung-sony-input-lag-results-4k/

The curved Samsung HU9000 is 38ms, with the flat HU8550 at 40ms - basically a negligible difference.

In LG's case, I would put the difference down to firmware. They definitely changed some things considering some people have said the DisplayPort bug is not present on the curved model.

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait. Though the Samsung is a VA. Aren't those useless for gaming because of ghosting in dark scenes? Or is that problem exaggerated?

Modern VAs are much better in this regard compared to older ones. I have a BenQ BL3200PT and primarily gamed on it prior to getting my LG 34" ultrawide and it did a great job. Contrast and black levels are noticeably better than IPS, too.

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait. Though the Samsung is a VA. Aren't those useless for gaming because of ghosting in dark scenes? Or is that problem exaggerated?

Modern VAs are much better in this regard compared to older ones. I have a BenQ BL3200PT and primarily gamed on it prior to getting my LG 34" ultrawide and it did a great job. Contrast and black levels are noticeably better than IPS, too.

Everyone's been telling me that if you're looking to primarily game on it, the VA Samsung is the way to go. If you're looking for multimedia, professional apps etc, the Dell IPS.

I only game and have been using an IPS for a couple years, haven't decided which to go with since I've grown accustomed to my IPS... but I do play FPS games. Most of my gaming is WoW/League/Hon/D3, FPS's are secondary to those in my mind.

Hi all,

I don't want to spoil the party. Unfortunately, I have a defective 34UC97 and after running though their technical support line, I really didn't get the answer I wanted. In home repair -- is that even possible for a display like this?

The agent didn't seem to want to do a swap for my unit, but didn't say whether or not it was possible. Also, they wanted to provide a replace AC adapter first, but needed my part #. After providing everything on the regulatory label, they couldn't find it. It's not in the manual either. Maybe it was on the bag the AC adapter was wrapped in when I got it? Could someone provide a picture of their AC adapter for the 34UC97? Or if you know where I can buy one that would be great too. There's a bunch of aftermarket ones online, but I don't trust those. I'm about 45 days since purchase and disappointed with their support thus far. Does anyone have experience with LG's support line and how I can (preferably) get a replacement rather than waiting around at home for a tech? PM me if you so please instead of posting here... Thanks.

Has anyone tested the thunderbolt ports on their 34UC97? I'm interested in this monitor. If I connect a thunderbolt hard drive to the display through thunderbolt, and connect my PC to the display via USB 3.0, will the PC be able to access the thunderbolt drive?

Hi all.

Im one of the (probably) few in this thread that owns both the flat LG 34" and the curved LG 34", as of yesterday. I'm a gamer / regular windows 8.1 user on the high end rig I built in my sig.

Ive only had the curved Samsung less than 12 hours now so an not super sure about the whole flat vs curved response time issue. (I use the DP connection from my GTX 980, have not yet tried USB 2.0 w/ a custom resolution).

I am confused on the "response time" setting in the curved model's settings. I never even saw this setting on the flat screen model, though PRAD seems to imply from its test that the flat screen has this choice too.

I feel the colors were a bit better on the flat screen. I don't have any hardware calibration capability, does anyone have suggested color / brightness settings?

If I translate PRAD correctly, he seems to say the CURVED is "faster" in some specs than then FLAT screen?

From the flat screen review, translated:
With the reaction time "fast" coming pixels now up to full speed. The B / W value is shortened again to 10.2 milliseconds. The fastest GtG value is measured at 6.2 milliseconds. What is the value in about the LG calls the datasheet. Also, the average GtG value is significantly shortened with 10.6 milliseconds. A CtC value of 8 milliseconds can also be seen.

From the curved model review:
With the reaction time "fast" coming pixels now up to full speed. The B / W value is shortened again to 11.7 milliseconds. The fastest GtG value is measured at 3.8 milliseconds. What is even below the value of 5 milliseconds, the LG called the datasheet. Also, the average GtG value is significantly shortened with 8.7 milliseconds. A CtC value of 7.4 milliseconds can also be seen.

But further down on both pages, there is the pic of that bar graphs that show something called "Latenz" which the curved has a much higher time? Honestly Far Cry 4 "feels" about the same speed on both, but the colors on my flat were definitely "prettier". The curved seems to have faded / washed out colors, a bit like a TN? Can anyone help with some suggested settings? I have the pic set to "cinema" which is how I had it set on both panels.

Honestly, it was an impulse buy (the shop I walked past just happened to have the '97 sitting there...) I should likely have waited for the curved 34UM67 that's coming with free sync and hope that somehow by then Nvidia comes around and allows GTX card owners to utilize free sync (Im not buying AMD cards just for this monitor).

Im going away for the weekend so I wont be able to game-test again until Monday.

Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the thunderbolt ports on their 34UC97? I'm interested in this monitor. If I connect a thunderbolt hard drive to the display through thunderbolt, and connect my PC to the display via USB 3.0, will the PC be able to access the thunderbolt drive?

No. You need to connect the monitor to your PC via Thunderbolt as well.

With all of the positive reviews on this monitor, including Jay and Linus's videos, I picked up the 34UC97-S two nights ago, and after two days of feeling it out, it's going back. I really want to like it. It's huge, and the color and picture are beautiful. Movies, games, Photoshop, all fantastic! I truly want to love it, and that's the problem, I can't. No matter how much I try to ignore it, I cannot get past the light bleed. On my monitor, the left top and bottom corners are atrocious. Unless the screen is fully lit, it's there, drawing your gaze, forcing you out of whatever you're trying to focus on. For the price they charge for these things, they should be flawless. You shouldn't have to try to be happy with it. You shouldn't have to try to convince yourself that "it's not that bad". You should be stoked every time you sit in front of it, and unfortunately, that's not been my experience.

I know, this isn't as bad as some of the others that I've seen, but it's still unacceptable at this price range.
IMG_1505.jpg

As long as things are light it's gorgeous, but as soon as whatever you're doing goes dark, especially if you like to turn down the lights in the room, it becomes completely unbearable.

What I would like to know, is how is this allowed to happen? Why can LG slap such a steep price tag on an item that is inherently flawed? Why do people accept it? It's like trying to sell the wheel before you could make it round.

Merchant - "Yeah, I know, it's a square, but really, it's not that bad when you don't look at the corners directly. Just hang in there, cause ONE DAY, this will be perfect. For now, though, that'll be all your monies."

Suckers - "Ok! sign me up!"

I mean seriously!

Get the 40" Samsung curved 4K (model UN40JU6700) for less than the LG and don't look back. Thread here. No glow, no bleed, pure awesomeness. I had the curved Dell version of the LG that you have and while it was a good monitor, I'll never go back.

The problem with that is the scaling issues. The LG was a replacement for my Samsung U28D590D, which is a beautiful monitor. The only thing I have issue with is Adobe software and scaling. Photoshop menus and toolbars are microscopic, and there's no apparent rush from Adobe to fix it, so I''m over being an early adopter of 4K until the issues are worked out.

The problem with that is the scaling issues. The LG was a replacement for my Samsung U28D590D, which is a beautiful monitor. The only thing I have issue with is Adobe software and scaling. Photoshop menus and toolbars are microscopic, and there's no apparent rush from Adobe to fix it, so I''m over being an early adopter of 4K until the issues are worked out.

Ahh, I hear you. I haven't experienced any scaling issues (though I don't use Photoshop), but keep in mind that the pixels will be larger on larger screens of the same resolution, so those menus and toolbars will be considerably larger and more usable on the 40" than your U28D590D. That's why I didn't jump into 4K in its infancy. It's not enjoyable on tiny 28" screens IMO, I didn't want to be forced to deal with scaling issues, the early displays were MST instead of SST, etc.

Well, what about the Samsung S34E790C then? A few people on this forum got it and I remember hearing really good things regarding the uniformity and lack of backlight bleed, and being a VA panel it won't have the IPS glow in the corners that the LG and Dell do. The only reason I got the U3415W instead of the S34E790C was because it was several hundred dollars cheaper at the time.

Thanks for the tip on the S34E790C. I'm bringing the LG back and swapping it for the S34E790C. I'll post the results once I have it up and running.
Cheers!

Thanks for the tip on the S34E790C. I'm bringing the LG back and swapping it for the S34E790C. I'll post the results once I have it up and running.
Cheers!

Nice! I look forward to your impressions.

Ok, so here's the deal with the Samsung S34E790C. Although it looks like it in the photo, there is zero backlight bleed. Size/curvature-wise, it's nearly identical with the LG, and is really nice to look at. It came out of the box with the brightness cranked to 100, so I dialed that down to 56, which was plenty bright. Gamma was on setting one of three, and I changed that to three. One was to faded looking. Three had the nicest contrast, at least to my eyes. Bumped sharpness slightly. Colors are 50% across the board. No input lag that I can discern. Blacks are BLACK. Spent a few hours with it during the day, and was really happy with it. It's a VA panel, and not as vibrant at the LG IPS, but it's still very nice. The trade-off for no BLB is totally acceptable.

Once night fell, I fired up some games. The one showen on both monitors is a game called Styx that I found on Steam. It's a Thief-like stealth game that really showed the BLB on the LG. It looked great on the Samsung. Then I ran GTA 5, which also looked really good, although it seemed like the draw distance was really slow. Something I'd never noticed on the LG, or my Samsung U28D590D. I then ran Witcher 3, and immediately noticed the sky. This is a major issue. I'm thinking it's due to the 3000:1 contrast ratio, but I could be wrong. I have thirty days to return it, so if it's not just a setting that needs tweaked, I'll play with it until the new Acer gaming ultra wide drops, and pick that up instead.

Sidenote, when I was returning the LG, I checked out the one they had on display, and the BLB was almost non existent. There was the normal IPS glow around the edges, otherwise, it was really nice. Made me reconsider my feelings on ISP panels.

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, everyone. I bought a DELL U3415W monitor. it has the same matrix as the monitor LG 34UC97. My monitor in the center and top brightness is slightly higher than the edges and bottom, which is a bit infuriating. owners of LG 34UC97: you have such problem? can you make same pictures as me and post them?

Thank you!

Attachments

• WP_20160724_14_25_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160724_14_25_40_Pro.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
    101.4 KB · Views: 53
    101.4 KB · Views: 47
Back