Official LG Curved Ultrawide 34UC97 thread

FYI

For anyone that has used the 34" flat, the height of this monitor is a tad higher than the highest stand setting on the flat version. Feels just right IMO.

I've always preferred the display to be up higher versus lower because I'd be hunched over. Does the stand have clips to hold the wires?

If you look at the Owner's Manual, which is available online on LG. They have a section called Proper Posture. They suggest that the person should look slightly down on the monitor. They have a nice drawing and everything. But i guess that changes based on individual preference.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-lg-34uc97-s.html#Einleitung

Review preview is up, it's an extreme rip off in my books as far as price and performance go vs. the good 27" 1440p monitors available for half the or 1/4 to 1/2 the price. It has twice as much input lag as the non-curved version they reviewed.

I've been saying that as well, $1,300 is an astronomical amount for this monitor - totally not worth it, not even close. There are several other options out there 4K and others that are a better buy.

Well, when I went to one of the local stores in Korea to get one of these, I remembered VESA conversation at the forum, so I've checked it out. Bottom line: LG says their "stores worldwide provide the VESA bracket UPON REQUEST FOR FREE." So, I got mine that way.:) Anyone has a different story?

Well, when I went to one of the local stores in Korea to get one of these, I remembered VESA conversation at the forum, so I've checked it out. Bottom line: LG says their "stores worldwide provide the VESA bracket UPON REQUEST FOR FREE." So, I got mine that way.:) Anyone has a different story?

I thought LG Bestshops were only in Korea?

I really don't see independent shops (not affiliated w/LG) around the world stashing away UC97-specific VESA adapters to give away upon request (since they wouldn't work with anything else). But perhaps being taken care of from LG headquarters in each country (though I think someone here called one, and they had no info on such a part).

I'm not doubting you at all, but you really should post up a pic of your UC97 VESA adapter (whether by itself, or attached to the monitor) so we all can see what the dang thing actually looks like.

Oh, and any part number scribed anywhere on it might be incredibly helpful for those of us trying to track one down (or for the LG guys that don't know what it is) :D

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-lg-34uc97-s.html#Einleitung

Review preview is up, it's an extreme rip off in my books as far as price and performance go vs. the good 27" 1440p monitors available for half the or 1/4 to 1/2 the price. It has twice as much input lag as the non-curved version they reviewed.

Wait a minute, I thought the specs were the same as the 34UM95 but with a curve essentially. But you mention that it has twice as much input lag?

Can someone confirm this? I'm going to cancel my order if that's the case.

I tried many monitors including the 1440P. I also got the PB287Q (4k) for a week, but i felt the viewing angels were not good. I have been through multiple monitors and multiple setups. I even tested three 24" monitors (Surround setup). I guess i am very picky. I think anything better than this for me would be the 32" 4k IPS panel. But they are alot more expensive.

Last edited:
wow.. this Display looks delicious. I had one of the old Westy 37"'s "back in the day", when it died, bought a Dell 27

Im a wow player, as opposed to a twitcher.. I see Martha's response from yesterday with FPS.. any MMO players have one yet? any issue?

I'm a FPS and MMO guy on the flat screen LG 34". (which i assume has the same response time / lag as the curved model). Its totally fine (and looks great) in games like GW2, WarGame Red Dragon etc. You'll like the curved model as well.

Edit:

To the guy saying the german site says the curved LG is twice as slow (input lag) as the flat screen LG, I cant find this information. This is all that is said about the curved LG on that german site:

LG 34UC97-S: First cuved monitor for a more plastic picture experience with herausstechendem Design (release date 15.12.2014)
The 34UC97-S is another monitor from LG in 21: 9 format and a resolution of 3440 x 1440 pixels. The special feature of this variant: the panel is bent. So it should be ensured for the users and to the edges toward a more favorable view. The 10-bit AH IPS -Panel according to LG offers 99 percent sRGB blanketing and by "flicker safe" absolute flicker. input is also encouraging diversity: in addition to a DisplayPort and dual-existing HDMI inputs of, LG offers for MAC users two Thuderbolt-2 ports. The real highlight of the 34UC97-S is shown in the data sheets, but the panel. With 10-bit color accuracy, Curved design and 21: 9 format, it raises the 34UC97-S to the level of a high-class all-rounder. On the one hand much displayable area of productivity is present and on the other hand every movie and every game is an adventure. The static contrast of the panel is 1000: specified one. The brightness reaches a maximum of 300 cd / m². Also on board are two 7 watt speaker and a USB 3.0 hub. The result of the tests it says: "No question, our expectations were frankly after the very good result 34UM95-P pretty high, even if color space volume. contrast and viewing angle convince the design of the monitor that impression but inevitably stands out., the curvature of the panel reinforced again. "

There is no more information in the preview and lag isn't mentioned anywhere. The preview sounds very positive.

I game on the flat screen LG 34" and the input lag is fine for non FPS gaming (GW2, WarGame Red Dragon, Wasteland 2, etc) and tolerable for non competitive multi or any single player FPS (Far Cry 3, Heroes and Generals, Shadows of Mordor). But if someone could find a legit source stating the curved model has worse lag (over the same DP connection), this would be a big deal. But again, that German preview does NOT mention this (nor has any other review).

Further Edit:

Here is Prad.de (the same german people that wrote the preview above) doing a short promo video of the LG, including some dark room pics with the monitor on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVG6xezeI4c

Last edited:
It has twice as much input lag as the non-curved version they reviewed.
That's interesting (although not very comforting) news. I haven't found any informations about input lag in Prad's preview. Where does that info come from?

That's interesting (although not very comforting) news. I haven't found any informations about input lag in Prad's preview. Where does that info come from?

Exactly, this is all new to me and it's a big deal if the flat one is better. If that's the case, I'd just keep the flat one and call it a day. Does anyone know definitively?

Probably the review? They charge for new reviews, though, like 2.50 Euro... I see a link to purchase it on the link he posted.

Prad.de is highly respected when it comes to testing displays so I doubt it is an error.

:( This is making me think of cancelling my order and going with the 34UM95 instead...

Same here. I have an order out on my 34UC97 but thinking of cancelling. I rather not spend money returning it. It would be a pain.

The review costs money to read, but I don't expect rich people to care since they always buy the most expensive, but worst monitors and think they are good because they are expensive (30" IPS). The 32" 4K IGZO monitors are also a joke with their 120-240hz LED PWM Dimming frequencies.

1300$ buys a monitor which is 50% wider than a 27", but that's it, which is why it is an insult to consumers. It has very high input lag, glow in all 4 corners and a cost-saving frame-less bezel which ruins the perceived black depth. At least it is not wide gamut, but colour presets are not better than the good <400$ 1440p Korean monitors which can be overclocked to offer a more responsive and less blurry gaming experience.

Last edited:
1300 dollars also gets you a curve on the screen. Industry first if I'm not mistaken.

Could anyone here with this awesome monitor post screen shots playing an MMO like WoW, GW2, or SW:ToR. Thanks.

And what's the going price for this beast ? $1200 ?

So you would give the flat version a thumbs Down as well?

Thumbs down to all frame-less displays, unless they are reasonably priced and the only option ie: all of the 23-24" glossy IPS are frame-less.

Could anyone here with this awesome monitor post screen shots playing an MMO like WoW, GW2, or SW:ToR. Thanks.

And what's the going price for this beast ? $1200 ?

You should try reading the thread before you post or Google such easily answerable questions. I Google Image'd 'Guild Wars 2 21:9' and the 4th image is a comparison shot...

Here is a couple of videos I made. I don&#8217;t really have the proper lighting in my room for taking a video. That&#8217;s the way I like it. But I hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQYY2wjMW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SIb_kqnGLI

By the way I don&#8217;t have enough VRAM for the Shadow of Mordor, so please don&#8217;t butcher the monitor.

I forgot to set the monitor on Game Mode [Sorry about that]

Last edited:
Here is a couple of videos I made. I don’t really have the proper lighting in my room for taking a video. That’s the way I like it. But I hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQYY2wjMW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SIb_kqnGLI

By the way I don’t have enough VRAM for the Shadow of Mordor, so please don’t butcher the monitor

I have the same corner glow/bleed? as you. can you notice that in those dark/black sceens? Is it similar to the video?

I have the same corner glow/bleed? as you. can you notice that in those dark/black sceens? Is it similar to the video?

Well yes it has back light bleeding that you can see on a black screen. I recall the 34UM95 had the same back light bleeding.

Well yes it has back light bleeding that you can see on a black screen. I recall the 34UM95 had the same back light bleeding.

My 34UM95 doesn't have much back light bleeding. Just in one corner it's a little brighter but the rest of it is fairly uniform with no back light bleeding. I'm not picky to the point that I will be staring at black screens to look for it.

What i'm worried about is that someone said it can get progressively worse over time. I hope that doesn't happen.

Hmm still trying to justify the $300 increase in price. Only reason I am leaning to this one, is because they said you have to move your head to see the corners of the UM95, where with the UC you can just move your eyes. Is it that big of a difference to justify the price difference though?

Can't decide. Lol

Hmm still trying to justify the $300 increase in price. Only reason I am leaning to this one, is because they said you have to move your head to see the corners of the UM95, where with the UC you can just move your eyes. Is it that big of a difference to justify the price difference though?

Can't decide. Lol

I'm currently having the same thoughts as well. I plan to pick up this monitor today but are having second thoughts because I might get a lemon.

Can't decide. Lol

Unless you are sitting inches away from the monitor I'm not sure if that curve will help much. I am about 2 ft away maybe a little less and I just have to eyeball. But yes it is quite immersive.
If it were let's say 38" or more I could definitely see some head turning going on.

Hmm ok Thanks for the info. Think I am leaning back towards the flat version

Coming from 22" old tn panels, I'm sure I'll be amazed either way

Hmm ok Thanks for the info. Think I am leaning back towards the flat version

Coming from 22" old tn panels, I'm sure I'll be amazed either way

Unless money is no object, and unless you are sitting inches away from the screen. I don't see the curve being more than a "cool" factor and not worth the 300 premium. Now if it were 100 more. Then I'd probably do it.

I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase since I just got it yesterday. Watching movies on it is glorious with no black bar distractions. I was playing shadow of mordor for a few hours on it as well and it was pretty impressive. I love har when I'm scanning my peripheral that I see game content and not my wall or my speakers or something. The 21:9 format is awesome.

Unless you are sitting inches away from the monitor I'm not sure if that curve will help much. I am about 2 ft away maybe a little less and I just have to eyeball. But yes it is quite immersive.
If it were let's say 38" or more I could definitely see some head turning going on.

Ah I'm fairly close to the screen and I do play some FPS games for a bit at night. I'm wondering if the curved screen is good for productivity. I work with some video editing and minor coding.

Ah I'm fairly close to the screen and I do play some FPS games for a bit at night. I'm wondering if the curved screen is good for productivity. I work with some video editing and minor coding.

I sit about two feet away from the monitor. It took me one week to decide i had to return the 34UM95, because i was moving my head left and right. The idea here is not that you cant see the edges, but you can't seem them comfortably. And for the $1000, i am not going to make my productive life less productive and eventually with time painful.
Now this is where the 34UC94 comes along, it makes your viewing angle from one side to the the other perfect and very immersive. Now i understand how everyone is skeptical about this (add me to the long line). YOU NEED TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE.
Fry's should have it in stores by the end of the month. Its worth the trip.

A wide screen makes you very productive. Take the concept of two screens and remove the bezel. And what do you get = 'Perfection'

Yea my Frys already has it, but I just can't see that much of a difference. But I was assuming that was because I hadn't used it enough.

This forum is strange! It&#8217;s designed for potential buyers convincing each other not to buy the product. Instead of potential buyers asking owners what they think about the product. Ha-ha-ha very funny. I guess that&#8217;s why I&#8217;m a n00bie. I&#8217;m signing off here.

Back