Just got mine in-

mWqmvw3l.jpg

Linus Youtube review-
(says its fantastic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

Hopefully some [H]er be crazy enough to do a curved surround set up :p
ypI58kw.jpg

impressions to come...........

I'm debating now on getting this or the um95. Only downside to this is the no VESA mount ability.

I'm debating now on getting this or the um95. Only downside to this is the no VESA mount ability.

Linus mentioned in his review that certain regions will have VESA adapters in the box. So I guess will find out whats really going on as more people get them.

Linus mentioned in his review that certain regions will have VESA adapters in the box. So I guess will find out whats really going on as more people get them.

I take it yours didn't include the VESA adapter in the box, or is it still unopened? And was yours US market?

Definitely an interesting screen, but 60 Hz I don't think I could deal with. :( Anyone wanna see if you can overclock it?

Yeah, I heard in his video and in his forum it says it's confirmed, but I haven't read or seen anywhere about it.
I live like 20 minutes away from a German Electronics store that just got both in stock, so I'm super antsy.

no VESA mount in my box

ordered it from B&H.com

Well that's disappointing, and blatant false-advertising from both B&H and LG. Both of their product pages specifically state 100x100 VESA in the specifications, and B&H states this in the product description..

Once configured the monitor can be viewed from the included stand or attached to the wall via a 100 x 100 mm compatible VESA mount allowing you to take full advantage of the 178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles.

I'd save a few screenshots of where all of this is stated, and request that both companies figure out a way to send you this mysterious adapter that provides VESA 100x100 holes. Even if you don't plan on using it yourself, it will add to the value should you ever want to sell it down the road. Anyway, thanks for checking Martha!

A guy from Korea, here. Was wondering the same and have called LG HQ. They say 34UC97 supports VESA mount capability with its bracket, which is not included in a box. BUT you can get it without additional cost by contacting local LG office. Guess the bracket portion of Linus video (the bracket is included in a box in some countries only) was a bit misguiding.

Definitely an interesting screen, but 60 Hz I don't think I could deal with. :( Anyone wanna see if you can overclock it?

i could deal with it, if it have Active/Free-Sync...

*waits for a refresh*

So is the MSRP 1299 on this one then? Im seeing it at B&H for that amount, thought i read a week or so ago that this was going to be at the 1K level.

Is the curve the only thing that has it going for it? I simply love my 34UM95. With the monitor on a VESA mount, I'm able to move it at a comfortable eye level. Without the mount, I think the monitor would sit a bit low. The only way I'll upgrade is if I have this same monitor with freesync.

Anyone running 2 or 3 of these? If so, what are you using to drive them?

Looking to pickup 2 or 3.

Had a couple questions:

1) Hoping to drive at least 2 of them with 1 machine, use the 3rd to split between two other laptops. What machines/video cards are you using to run 2? I was thinking a Dell Workstation of some kind? Anyone have any suggestions?

2) Anyone who has one - on the split screen setup. Can you use one displayport plug for half, then another displayport plug for the other half? Hoping you could use any combination or MiniDP/HDMI for the screen split. I was hoping to use MiniDP to DVI adapters to drive each half with work laptops.

Anyone have any experience with this?

cross posting DaMaDo's post since it was in the flat 34" thread-

Here's my LG 35UC97. The curve looks cool. But probably not worth $300 over the flat one. I'm happy with it though. This replaces a 2560x1600 30" Apple Cinema from 2004.

And so you can see the curve:

Anyone running 2 or 3 of these? If so, what are you using to drive them?

Looking to pickup 2 or 3.

Had a couple questions:

1) Hoping to drive at least 2 of them with 1 machine, use the 3rd to split between two other laptops. What machines/video cards are you using to run 2? I was thinking a Dell Workstation of some kind? Anyone have any suggestions?

2) Anyone who has one - on the split screen setup. Can you use one displayport plug for half, then another displayport plug for the other half? Hoping you could use any combination or MiniDP/HDMI for the screen split. I was hoping to use MiniDP to DVI adapters to drive each half with work laptops.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I dunno of anyone running multiple since this just came out last week but to somewhat answer your questions-
1-AFAIK you could run 2 or 3 on a single PC with any video card that supports display port 1.2-1.3
2- quoting from LG
DUAL LINKUP
The Dual Linkup feature allows two compatible portable devices--such as a computer, camera, phone, or Blu-ray player--to be connected to the monitor, and both can be viewed on the same screen simultaneously.

* To use Dual Linkup, one device must be connected to the DisplayPort while the other is connected to either the HDMI or DVI port

What good is a curved monitor again?

The distance from the screen to your eyes is more consistent across the width of the monitor. This means less distortion.

Subjectively, it just feels more natural and immersive.

Having a curved display becomes more important as the screen occupies a wider angle of your field of view. With a 34" 21:9 monitor, the monitor occupies enough of your field of view that the left and right edges are several inches farther from your eyes than the middle of the screen. The curve reduces this distortion a bit.

By no means necessary, but it is certainly a nice effect.

What good is a curved monitor again?

It "might" reduce IPS glow compared to the flat version, which blatantly suffered from it. If it does, then it may be well worth the money for the picky crowd.

I wish someone posted some pictures, flat and curved side by side...

Interesting. I shall have to go check it out. I currently have a Seiki 39" and while it certainly is an awesome monitor for the money, some of the bugs have been getting to me and I have been considering the 'regular' 34" ultrawide from LG. This seems like a quirky alternative.

Heres a thought on the curved vs not curved....

I own the flat LG 34". And to me, the monitor is SO wide that when viewing things close to the left and right edge of the screen, I feel like I literally have to turn my head left or right; simply moving my eyes left or right almost doesn't cut it.

I wonder if curving the sides a bit closer to the viewer's head would lessing this feeling?

Unfortunately, we'd need a user who used both the flat and the curved back to back, and I don't think we'll find that here.

Also, to the comment about over clocking.... I think the answer will be NO. I tried over clocking the regular LG 34". I can get it to 61hz. At 62 or higher, the screen goes crazy with green colors and lines everywhere.

So Im guessing the curved will be the same, basically zero over clock potential. Im thinking 2015 will be the 'year of the monitor', in that we will have things like 32-36" 4K screens, and maybe high speed (120/144hz) big screens too (30+). But for now, I really like these two LG models (I'm happy with my flatscreen 34" for desktop use / medium gaming)

Last edited:

I own the flat LG 34". And to me, the monitor is SO wide that when viewing things close to the left and right edge of the screen, I feel like I literally have to turn my head left or right; simply moving my eyes left or right almost doesn't cut it.

I wonder if curving the sides a bit closer to the viewer's head would lessing this feeling?

I couldn't disagree more

I think you might just be sitting WAYYYY too close to your monitor if you actually feel the need to turn your head to use the monitor. the 3440x1440 resolution is just barely at the point of needing a curve imo - for me personally, not enough for me to think the price is worth going curved (but I could be bias just because I've already bought the 34UM95)

Look at a surround setup, and that is a very clear indication at needing a curved display - the images rendered on the side monitors come out in a way that only looks remotely natural when said side monitors are tilted at an angle (essentially, a "curve" to the display)

the 3440x1440 is great because...at a reasonable fov...it stops just before this side image distortion (and the needed curve to make it look proper) becomes really noticeable. that's why the curve on this monitor is subtle. This monitor may be curved, but it's still only 3440x1440. not wide enough to really NEED a curve imo

skypine27, your review of your current monitor is what triggered me to pick up mine.

I also do light gaming on it. If it somehow gets freesync, then i'd be looking at upgrading.

Unfortunately, we'd need a user who used both the flat and the curved back to back, and I don't think we'll find that here.

)

I just sold my flat 34" LG, so I have used both. I haven't had much time with the curved 34" yet(just a quick un boxing) will be using the display a ton this weekend and will post some impressions.

Martha, thx! Would to hear a back to back comparison between someone who has used both!!! Awesome.

Hello,

My trusty LG 24in monitor died so I'm in need of a new monitor. But I'm torn between this LG (out the flat version) and a gaming monitor (PG278Q). My needs are pretty balanced between productivity and gaming. The LG 21:9 monitors are great for productivity, but do they perform with fast pace games?

So after a bit of use, and using both the flat and curved versions, I love this monitor. Curved >flat for ultrawide

comparison

LG 34UM95 (flat)

mHzgU2ql.jpg

VS-

LG 34UC97 (curved)

wClTAjgl.jpg

BL Pre Sequel-
TNH8lOkl.jpg

Curve from top-

IdaJ4IXl.jpg

+

+Picture quality is fantastic(near identical to flat version)
+Curve is very slight and almost unnoticeable but yet very immersive
+Stand is perfect height, and much improved aesthetically over the flat version
+Back light bleed/IPS glow is minimal(near identical to flat version)
+No heavy grain matte finish

-

-No VESA mounting or adapter(at least not in my order)
-No G-sync
-60hz
-No height adjustable stand(only tilt)
-Could be slightly bigger at 37" with a 4k ultrawide res

So is it worth the $300 premium over the flat version?-YES, the curve really does surround your field of vision since you are sitting so close to the monitor, FPS and Driving games make the world of difference. Even with out the high refresh rate, this is currently my favorite monitor to use, will never go back to multi-monitor again.

So after a bit of use, and using both the flat and curved versions, I love this monitor. Curved >flat for ultrawide

comparison

LG 34UM95 (flat)

*snip*

VS-

LG 34UC97 (curved)

*snip*

BL Pre Sequel-

*snip*

Curve from top-

*snip*

+

-

-No G-sync
-60hz

So is it worth the $300 premium over the flat version?-YES, the curve really does surround your field of vision since you are sitting so close to the monitor, FPS and Driving games make the world of difference. Even with out the high refresh rate, this is currently my favorite monitor to use, will never go back to multi-monitor again.
Nice. Even in pictures I can see the advantage of having the curve. I've pretty much given up on getting a PG278Q now, so I'm trying to decide between this or a BenQ BL3201PT/PH. I'll still have my VG278HE if I crave low input lag and low motion blur, so it will be nice to have a good WQHD or UHD monitor to go along with it.

I might pick this up and return my 34UM95. Besides the lack of the VESA mounts, are the specs essentially the same?

300 dollars more for a curve, I thought was a gimmick. This has proven me wrong. Thanks [H]! I will now be spending more money! :p

+

-

-No G-sync
-60hz

Thank you for that comparison martha, ive been debating on wether or not to get this monitor, there are some drawbacks as you have stated, getting the 34UC87 model will fix 2 negatives you have, that been VESA mount and height adjustment. And for those who have AMD cards including myself i will come next year in Q1 purchase a freesync 144Hz monitor for fps gaming, or perhaps in 4 - 6 months time news is out of a g-sync/free sync 144Hz ips monitor is coming out, wait and purchase said monitor and have the best of both worlds. For the time being and without having to wait 6 months or a year i think the 34UC97/87 is the best ips monitor on the market at the moment and if you lucky a Rog Swift to the side, the best due possible at this moment in time.
Its the availability and the price that is holding many people back from this monitor right now.

I see on the B&H site the model number is followed by an "S"...is there something different about that one?
Also where are VESA mount holes? or where would the adapter go? B/H site still says vesa compatible.

Am i able to post a link to linustecktips where ive made a post with all the current news on the different lg 34uc97 / 87 models ?

I would absolutely love to get one of these to replace my aging dual 28" TN's. VESA availability on it seems hit or miss and is an absolute requirement for me.

I don't see why not, as it's helpful information for many here. You could even copypasta your entire post. Didn't even know about the gold UC87..

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234349-lg-curved-34uc97-87-current-news-reviews-and-prices/

Yeh thats my post, just wanted to keep with forum rules.
But yeh theres 3 different models and the 34CU87 has the better advantage over the 97 however it is only available in Germany and Austria at the moment, even the 97 wont be available on overclockersuk till early Novemeber "apparently" which is overdue by over a month.

Heres the Post in FULL

Ive been looking into this monitor as a replacement for 3 Dell u2414h monitors since i first saw what little news was released on it.
Just to Clarify there are 3 different versions of this monitor,
34UC97-S
34UC87-B black
34UC87-S gold
the only difference between the 97 and the 87 is that the 87 has a complete black back and stand, the stand can go up and down and it has a vesa mount compatability, which is puts it ahead of the 97 however it is referred to as the business version and seems to be only available in Austria and Germany, there doesnt seem to be any difference between the 87-s and the 87-b, at least not at the moment.

Here are several links that will interested those that want further information on the new LG curved monitors, theres very little info out atm and linus video review seems to be the only indepth review out atm apart from the 3 reviews from the German amazon page for the 97, linked below.

http://skinflint.co....k-a1176221.html
All the current European sites that will have the 34UC87-B released

http://skinflint.co....d-a1164054.html
All the current European sites that will have the 34UC87-S released

http://skinflint.co....s-a1159982.html
All the current European sites that will have the 34UC97-S released

http://www.amazon.de...&pf_rd_i=301128
Amazon German page for the 97 with 3 independant reviews for the 34UC97-S

http://pricespy.co.u...t.php?p=2809949
UK site that will help pinpoint sites that will have these monitors available for those interested in the UK

http://hardforum.com...=1834533&page=2
An early forum post about the 97 which indicates and shows some backlight bleeding, more discussions as well on the monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVG6xezeI4c
Video of the 97, 1:58 you can see some backlight bleed, however someone stated they had a similar issue with the 34um95 and the bezel was too tight so he loosened the bezel what he thought was backlight bleed was gone, so we will have to see.

http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1837058
A recent forum post and official thread on the 97 on hardforum, a user recently got a hold of a 97 and should be giving his/her views on it soon, some images as well

http://www.flawlessw...rg/#FWSFeatures
Some software that may aid in fixing some ultrawide etc problems, i havnt used it yet, look into it yourself

http://www.wsgf.org/
Offical forum for widescreen gaming, plenty of info on compatible games, discussions. Response to posts can be slow but you might find some valuable info there.

http://www.overclock...d=17&catid=1120
The overclockeruk page for the 97 and currently 1 of 2 retailers with it available in the UK, recent forums posts inidicate it will be available on overclockers in early Novemeber but that only an estimate.

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=34uc97
Amazon page for the 97, 3 german retailers have it available for delivery to the UK but at very high prices.

http://www.bhphotovi...ips_curved.html
US retailer with the 97 available for purchase at only $1299, the user from hard forum post purchased it from here, just to give you an idea $1300 is only £813, so it is the cheapest currently.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
I recently ask them if they would review the 97 or 87 and the responded with "Yes, we are hoping to review one of them at some point when samples become available to us" a review from tftcentral will ultimately be what most people are looking for, more questions than answer at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk
Linus's review and the only current video review on the 34UC97, its been 3 weeks since the review and very little has followed from anyone else.

LG 34UC87

If you can add to any of this it would be very much appreciated for those who are on the fence with this monitor.

If your eyes are pulling if you are wearing glasses or male monitor might be too big =)
I can't even tolerate a 27" with glasses =) SO I use it 5 feet away for console games...

PC monitors are getting bigger smart phones and tablets are getting smaller.

Monitor does look nice though =)

I know this has probably already been answered, but can you game at 2560x1440 on these monitors with black bars on the side? And would the image quality be affected at all (i.e. scaling)?

I know this has probably already been answered, but can you game at 2560x1440 on these monitors with black bars on the side? And would the image quality be affected at all (i.e. scaling)?

Well i game on my 34UM95 and it's fine. I don't have any black bars. I play CS Source and Borderlands with the occasional Guild Wars 2. I don't have any bars.

Back