Official LawBreakers Announcement Trailer

HardOCP News

[H] News
CliffyB's upcoming free-to-play game is called LawBreakers. You can get more information about the game here and watch the official announcement trailer below.

I'm just going to assume this is a Candy Crush clone until I see some gameplay.

to me it looks like a clash of clans clone if I were to go off of the advertisement. because that reveal trailer did not reveal shit other than "hey we are coming out with a game"

You know what enters my mind immediately?

(incoming rant)

Destiny. But like, GOOD Destiny. You know? I've always said Destiny looked brown and uninspired. This game looks like the same loose concept (chosen heroes in a post-apocalyptic world), but it catches my attention and commands my interest SO much better than Destiny ever could. Destiny just looked like a brown, brown, beige and brown dusty dirty grey and brown poncho-covered world using early Xbox 360 graphics. The environments were just... buildings and dirt. that's all you could really say. The heroes you create were boring and robotic looking, without any inspiration, and wait for it... wearing brown.

did I mention the entire game was brown?

This freaking 2 minute teaser shows me more environmental variety, emotional depth and actual story than the ENTIRE catalog of Destiny content. And this 2 minute teaser is SHIT. It does not show much in the way of emotional depth or artistic variety... Its just that it paints a wholly undeniable picture of how absolutely vapid and catatonic the Destiny design plan was.

Also, I never played Destiny. That actually proves my point more: I was so uninspired and underwhelmed by what Destiny had to show that I wouldn't even give it a try. It just looked like "boredom and brown: the Xbox 360 launch title". This coming from the same people who made Halo Reach, the game with artistic perfection, depth, story and 'god, I want to play this' trailers.

Seriously.. This little pre-rendered teaser was pretty forgettable, but it still does a better job of making me interested than Destiny ever did.

(rant over)

That said, I'm worried about Cliff's intentions. He's been more for game designers than gamers recently...

Make for an interesting movie.
Yea, the premise is what got me interested in this game. I'm excited to see what gameplay they show on Friday.
You know what enters my mind immediately?

This freaking 2 minute teaser shows me more environmental variety, emotional depth and actual story than the ENTIRE catalog of Destiny content.

Also, I never played Destiny. .

I dunno if you can read what you type. But sure give us more insight into a game that you never played before. /sarcasm

From what I've read, it's a 5v5 arena shooter with a vertical style of play (probably jetpacks, gravity gimmicks, etc). Not entirely sure why they're trying to form a story around this.

I dunno if you can read what you type. But sure give us more insight into a game that you never played before. /sarcasm

I completely understand what you are trying to say. The old "don't knock it 'till you've tried it" thing. It makes perfect sense..

but

The fact is that the trailers, let's plays, reviews, DLCs, hype, memes etc. could not arouse a single fiber of my soul to grant interest in this game made by a studio that I was genuinely excited about and willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I REALLY tried to be interested in Destiny, I watched the trailers, I read the developer interviews. I put so much effort into WANTING to like Destiny that I probably could have found a reason to like a Hannah Montana hair salon app, were the same effort be poured into it. After all of this effort, I still see just ... 'ugh': the game. I mentioned this before: Either the developers put a TON of marketing effort into illuminati-level information culling in order to hide everything interesting and fun about this game from me... or even the most talented marketing strategy couldn't make this game desirable to me.

In the game business, you buy the game = developers did their job. If you don't buy the game = developers did not do their job. That's why so much marketing is put into pre-orders and launch-day marketing. They really don't care if you never play the game. You could buy the game and immediately throw it in the trash and the developers have done their job, and the marketing departments know this. Hell, trailers have outright LIED to get people to buy ASAP. Destiny could have promised free blowjob machines and money-printers, it could have used all of the BS marketing possible. The truth is that it probably DID!! And I'm still not interested! How boring could this game be!? It makes me sad! this isn't like COD or Candy crush: the sort of games that you really just WANT to fail... This was a game that I really wanted to show the world that Bungie was more than just 'the guys who got lucky with Halo'...

I couldn't bring myself to buy Destiny. I REALLY wanted to 'desire' it, but I just can't. I'm not the only one, either.

So without watching a video there's nothing on that site that tells me what the game is about.

The story so far seems more interesting than Destiny's. Whether or not that helps increase the enjoyment of the game is highly dependent on the particular player. I personally love a good story and character connections. It just can't make up for bad gameplay. Then again, if there is NO real story and it's all about the gameplay, kinda like in UT, then it's not as big of a deal.

Back