Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

They've implemented some graphics upgrades over the years but nothing Earth shattering. They have more options than they used to and newer areas of the game look much better than the older ones. I agree with you, but the game isn't popular enough for EA/BioWare to invest the kind of money it would take to seriously overhaul it. The game was built with a few technical decisions early on that limit it severely now. The Hero Engine alpha for example runs in two 32Bit processes, so they can only do so much with it.

Well I would settle for some better looking armor i.e. sharper textures, some are pretty blurry. I did see that the game got better looking with time with some better effects and stuff, maybe once I get to the newer stuff I will notice this even more, currently messing with some pirates on Riishi or something.

Well I would settle for some better looking armor i.e. sharper textures, some are pretty blurry. I did see that the game got better looking with time with some better effects and stuff, maybe once I get to the newer stuff I will notice this even more, currently messing with some pirates on Riishi or something.

Some of the newer Cartel Market armors do have better textures but that's hit and miss.

I'm in the same boat here, I plan to give the new content a shot but I'm at the point where there hasn't been much evolution in these types of games and for anybody that's played the genre before it can grow stale really quick.

I'm in the same boat here, I plan to give the new content a shot but I'm at the point where there hasn't been much evolution in these types of games and for anybody that's played the genre before it can grow stale really quick.
Yup, exactly. With that said, I will most likely try any new, "good" MMO that comes out.

I started playing again a few months back. Just treated it like a single-player game and did stories, and I finally finished all 8 class stories. It only took me how many years? Still a pretty fun game.

I started playing again a few months back. Just treated it like a single-player game and did stories, and I finally finished all 8 class stories. It only took me how many years? Still a pretty fun game.

I haven't gotten around to any of the Light-side class stories yet, but I did finish all of the Dark-side ones. The Imperial Agent being my favorite.

Yeah quality varied a lot by the light/dark choices available to each class. I would rate them something like this-

Good stories:
DS agent - completely evil, holy crap. I almost felt bad. Also easily the best story.
LS agent - I took this class to level 50 twice, both are awesome. I might even do a 3rd take on this class.
DS sith warrior and inquisitor - Warrior is probably second-best story and best set of companions. Inquisitor was a weaker story but the lightning gameplay is so visceral it's really fun. Both of these range from comic book villians to absurd/comical levels of evil.
DS trooper oddly didn't feel too evil. LS is basically 'captain america' but DS just does the mission, follows orders, and sometimes makes a little profit on the side. I liked the trooper stories, the whole military feel, and you get Commander Shepard for a voice actress. 4X was also the coolest companion, constantly applauding your DS choices with the most pro-republic propaganda imaginable. I used that droid for the rest of the story once I got it.

Kinda lame:
DS bounty hunter - Companions constantly bitch that you kill people, seriously what did you think we do for a living? Wins 'worst companion' with Skadge. A lame story overall that was a struggle to drag myself through.
DS jedi consular - It's like the writer didn't consider you would make DS choices or what the consequences of them should be. Easily wins "worst set of companions". Story improves in chapter 3, it's pretty good there, but a slog to get there.
LS smuggler, jedi knight - both were kinda boring to me, I know both are popular though. Smuggler story was funny at times, especially their take on imperials, but...I don't know. It didn't do it for me, and it only had 1 interesting companion. Knight story was generic jedi 101; play DS instead and mindwipe the droid constantly.

Kinda lame:
DS bounty hunter - Companions constantly bitch that you kill people, seriously what did you think we do for a living? Wins 'worst companion' with Skadge. A lame story overall that was a struggle to drag myself through.

My very first character roll, and I agree.

God damn I'm getting the nostalgia feels now. I can almost hear the tracer missile spam :cry:

I'm trying to wait to go back until the next expansion. They haven't announced another yet but I'm hopping.
Very difficult with everyone talking about it, must resist!

I think I left when WoD came out in WoW, and haven't gone back since. But I loved SWToR too. Still a daily WoW player, but legion is drawing to an end, and the usual lag before next expansion requires something new, was thinking destiny, but maybe Ill go back check SWToR, I loved that it can be lot of fun, just approached as single player.

Yeah quality varied a lot by the light/dark choices available to each class. I would rate them something like this-

Good stories:
DS agent - completely evil, holy crap. I almost felt bad. Also easily the best story.
LS agent - I took this class to level 50 twice, both are awesome. I might even do a 3rd take on this class.
DS sith warrior and inquisitor - Warrior is probably second-best story and best set of companions. Inquisitor was a weaker story but the lightning gameplay is so visceral it's really fun. Both of these range from comic book villians to absurd/comical levels of evil.
DS trooper oddly didn't feel too evil. LS is basically 'captain america' but DS just does the mission, follows orders, and sometimes makes a little profit on the side. I liked the trooper stories, the whole military feel, and you get Commander Shepard for a voice actress. 4X was also the coolest companion, constantly applauding your DS choices with the most pro-republic propaganda imaginable. I used that droid for the rest of the story once I got it.

Kinda lame:
DS jedi consular - It's like the writer didn't consider you would make DS choices or what the consequences of them should be. Easily wins "worst set of companions". Story improves in chapter 3, it's pretty good there, but a slog to get there.
LS smuggler, jedi knight - both were kinda boring to me, I know both are popular though. Smuggler story was funny at times, especially their take on imperials, but...I don't know. It didn't do it for me, and it only had 1 interesting companion. Knight story was generic jedi 101; play DS instead and mindwipe the droid constantly.

No, the agent story isn't the best. The agent story is good, but it's overrated. I personally feel as though the Sith Warrior story is the strongest. Both in capturing the Star Wars feel, and generally just being good. I agree with a lot of what you posted, but I would rank the stories differently. First off, going full light, or full dark on anything but a force user doesn't make sense or feel right to me. The Jedi Knight story is fairly predictable, but it's the quintessential Star Wars experience. It's definitely worth doing. It's also the other side of the same coin as the Sith Warrior story. If you pay attention, you'll find that all the 8 base class stories tie together. The Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight stories are even more intertwined. It's like the two just miss each other as they go through their lives and that's why they never face off. Both need to be done to appreciate each fully.

The Smuggler story is funny. Again, this isn't something to do as pure light or pure dark. The consular story is pretty lame in light side form, but it doesn't work dark side at all. I absolutely agree with with your assessment on the DS choices seeming to be an after thought that wasn't based on what was actually happening with the story. It just doesn't work and seems ridiculous. Basically, you are trying to bandage people through the force in chapter one. Why would you sacrifice force energy and resources on people if your dark side? In chapter 2, you are an intergalactic bus driver. Yeah, that's something I wanted to spend hours doing. Chapter 3 is much better. There is a nice twist at the end, and the conclusion is relatively satisfying. There are class specific missions on Rishi, and the Consular probably gets the best one next to the Imperial Agent.

The reason you don't go hard core DS or LS on a Bounty Hunter, is precisely the reason you mentioned. The companions bitch about it. You used to be able to lose affection with them doing that. Now you can't, so it's less of an issue other than it being annoying. To me, this never felt right anyway. What you want to do is pick options that make money. Later on, you can satisfy Mandalorian honor. Both these things tend to feel natural and work for the story. When your done your alignment will be kind of in the middle and can shift to 60/40 favoring either light or dark as you choose.

I will say that the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor story lines work better going light side than you would imagine. A light side Sith Warrior or Inquisitor aren't necessarily good exactly, but they come across as striving to change the Empire for the better from within. It seems like people who try and do the right thing, and anything dark they do is only to serve a greater purpose rather than being out right evil. Even so, don't mistake their accumulation of light side points for being good. They still do dark things. Similarly, the Jedi Knight strives to be good, but takes short cuts and deals with the temptations of the dark side constantly. Early on, when you defeated the Sith Emperor, Master Satele Shan wouldn't grant you the title of Jedi Master as she felt you struggled too much with anger and the dark side of the force. You used to get a different title until enough people bitched about it. Now everyone gets the Jedi Master title upon completing the story. Even if you are light side, I think the dark side ending with the Emperor is the best way to do it as you lay the smack down using the force. It show cases just how powerful the Jedi Knight really is, and it's far more epic feeling.

I preferred the male voice actor for the trooper. You only get FemShep, if you don't play a male trooper. I have gone through every class story light / dark, and male and female. To me, the male works better for Sith Warriors, Republic Troopers, and Bounty Hunters. For one thing, trooper and bounty hunter gear rarely looks right on the female characters unless you go with the body type 3 females, which are pretty manly. Even then, it still looks better on the males. The female works better for Consular's and Sith Inquisitors. The former, absolutely comes down to the dialog sounding cheesy and lame from a man, and less awkward from the female. The inquisitor just felt "right" as a female. I don't know why. I don't have any reason to quantify that. I suppose that's how I felt about the Sith Warrior, Republic Trooper or Bounty Hunter. They just seem "right" as males. However, the Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent work well with either gender. The Smuggler works well as either also. However, the male is slightly more amusing as he can bone just about all female quest givers. The female gets more action than anyone else in the game, save for a male smuggler. So you can whore it up pretty good if you want to. It's sort of the same with the Imperial Agent. You can get more action as a male, which adds to the James Bond in Space kind of feel you get sometimes. It's hilarious too as one of my male agents has three wives and a girlfriend.

Getting back to the story, past the original level 50 class stories, Rise of the Hutt Cartel and a few of the operations stories, all the non-Force users suck ass and feel out of place. Shadow of Revan, seems ridiculous on a non-Force user. Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne are even worse in this regard. Darth Mar calling anyone in besides a Force user in the search for Emperor Vitiate makes zero fucking sense. Going toe to toe with the Eternal Emperor, makes even less sense. Emperor Vitiate is easily the most powerful Force user in the Star Wars Legends material, and certainly more powerful than anyone we've seen in the old EU or current cannon. He can kill an entire planet and even warp it's landscape. He can leave dead zones that disturb force users. He can transfer bodies and even some of the greatest force users like Revan, the Exile, etc. could not destroy him outright. It's hard enough for the Jedi Knight, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, and Jedi Consular to face this Emperor, and they are among the most powerful Force users of their day.

In Knights of the Eternal Empire, Emperor Valkorian takes an interest in your player character. You figure out almost immediately that this Emperor of this new Empire from the unknown regions is actually Emperor Vitiate with a new face and a new name. If you are a Sith Warrior or a Jedi Knight, you have a long running history with the Emperor of the Sith Empire. There is additional dialog that reflects this adversarial relationship. The Sith Warrior was even a servant of the Emperor before he was betrayed by him. The familiarity and interest Valkorian has in you makes no sense when they aren't a force user. It makes even less sense after you kill him and he inhabits your body. Everything after that is a means towards forging your character into the most powerful Force user alive so that he can purge you and take your body as his own. Again, this makes no sense for the non-Force users.

Last edited:
I have the Hard Copy of this game good looking game but I never got past like level 13 or something. It was too hard to solo in some places in the game.

I have the Hard Copy of this game good looking game but I never got past like level 13 or something. It was too hard to solo in some places in the game.
This game was hard at launch. Enemy scaling was incredibly tight, you had to do every quest and maintain your gear. Nowadays it has the opposite problem and everything is just too easy.

This game was hard at launch. Enemy scaling was incredibly tight, you had to do every quest and maintain your gear. Nowadays it has the opposite problem and everything is just too easy.

In the early days, the game was still pretty easy. None of us knew our classes or what the rotations were. We didn't have combat logging for many of the first few months of the game's existence. It was a lot of guesswork. Some exploits were figured out from PvP, but that's it. This is the real reason it was difficult. Also, people didn't really understand the gearing. As TaintedSquirrel said, you did have to maintain your gear as well. I found that everything could be run by yourself outside of group specific content if you were at, or just over level. The game also got much easier once you ground out alts and had the legacy abilities to use in a fight. One of which is a damage reduction cool down and the others are all offensive. If you ground them all out, very little could challenge you if your gear was close to decent for your level. You also had the option of going 5 to 10 levels above something and crushing it.

These days, there is a level sync system and bolster in some areas. Bolster brings your gear level up to a higher tier while level sync ensures that all content grants you XP or CXP, and that it drops gear that's level appropriate. You can't out level a world boss by 30 levels and then solo kill the damn thing anymore because of that system. All content is now rewarding in some way. Unfortunately, the way the game is tuned you only need a pulse to complete most of it on your own. There is still challenge in some flashpoints and operations when run in Veteran or Master mode. Outside of that, it's cake. With the Command Rank system and CXP, you can grind out gear that only drops from Master Mode (formerly, nightmare mode), so seeing high level gear is not an indicator of skill. I've used the group finder to do basic story mode operations as they are valuable sources of CXP. All too often I get into a PUG with multiple people that have zero achievements in flashpoints, daily areas, or operations. It's tough to get through group content with the low level of skill presented by the average player.

Unfortunately, there are few veteran players around now. Oddly, we seem to have had a massive influx of new players though.

This was my first ever mmo.

Also a huge star wars fan.

I never had so much fun or spent so much time playing a video game in my life.

I loved all of it.

I stopped playing after I hit the level cap 55, probably 4 years ago...

Tried coming back a couple times but it was too boring and things were too different.

Ill just have to remember those good times.

This was my first ever mmo.

Also a huge star wars fan.

I never had so much fun or spent so much time playing a video game in my life.

I loved all of it.

I stopped playing after I hit the level cap 55, probably 4 years ago...

Tried coming back a couple times but it was too boring and things were too different.

Ill just have to remember those good times.

This is the first MMO I've ever stuck with. I've tried a lot of them over the years, but none appealed to me over the long haul. If you stopped after the level cap was raised to 55, then that was when the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion came out. Frankly, it wasn't one of the better ones in my opinion.

I just started playing it again and I'm actually enjoying it.

Fuck, I have issues.

It's a good game. It had some huge issues early on and unfortunately, by the time the bulk of those had been addressed the game had developed a reputation which has hurt it's ability to grow. Now it's problem is that EA isn't going to invest the money in developing good content for it and the hardcore players have all abandoned the game. EA doesn't think it would be a good investment, but without that investment it's doomed to die off for sure. I think the game will probably limp along with minimal updates for another year and then it will probably go into maintenance mode. I feel it will probably get the plug pulled after another two to three years afterwards. That's probably the best case scenario at this point.

So enjoy it while you can. It's a big game and there is lots to do in it.

It's a good game. It had some huge issues early on and unfortunately, by the time the bulk of those had been addressed the game had developed a reputation which has hurt it's ability to grow. Now it's problem is that EA isn't going to invest the money in developing good content for it and the hardcore players have all abandoned the game. EA doesn't think it would be a good investment, but without that investment it's doomed to die off for sure. I think the game will probably limp along with minimal updates for another year and then it will probably go into maintenance mode. I feel it will probably get the plug pulled after another two to three years afterwards. That's probably the best case scenario at this point.

So enjoy it while you can. It's a big game and there is lots to do in it.

I guess I'd better use all my cartel coins or whatever.

I have one of those security code generator things and I think I get some for every month

I have one of those security code generator things and I think I get some for every month

You do. If you are a subscriber and you have a security key, you get 600 coins per month.

Yeah even if you don't subscribe you get coins if you got the authenticator. Was nice going back after not playing for a year and having a stash of coins.

You do. If you are a subscriber and you have a security key, you get 600 coins per month.
Yeah I talked to one guy who came back after 4 years off and he had like $100 worth of cartel coins for free.
I made sure to sign up for my security key back then. I bet I have quite a stockpile too.

Yeah I talked to one guy who came back after 4 years off and he had like $100 worth of cartel coins for free.
I made sure to sign up for my security key back then. I bet I have quite a stockpile too.

You get 100 coins per month for the security key.

I can't even login to check because I removed the key app, lol. I would have to reset my key just to login. Oh well.

I think I have something like 39k coins... Just don't see anything that makes me want to spend them, even if they were effectively free

I think I have something like 39k coins... Just don't see anything that makes me want to spend them, even if they were effectively free

I don't want most of the stuff on the Cartel Market either. I use my coins to buy shit and sell it on the GTN for credits.

I actually don't mind this game...it's ok. I need some cartel coins though. should be able to trade credits for at least small amounts of coin.

I actually don't mind this game...it's ok. I need some cartel coins though. should be able to trade credits for at least small amounts of coin.

Unfortunately, you can't trade credits for coins. Fortunately, everything you can want on the Cartel Market is for sale on the GTN.

Can cartel coins be sent from one account to another?

No, they cannot.

Shoot- I was gonna send some to you guys.

My wife and I tried to play together... But it just feels like grinding or something...

And the graphics just arent as exciting as it used to be for some reason. I used to think it was beautiful.
Played it my GT640 back in the day- seems like its less optimized than it used to be.
My clan is also dead- used to mess around and- perfect group for a casual like me.

I don't want most of the stuff on the Cartel Market either. I use my coins to buy shit and sell it on the GTN for credits.
I didn't think cartel purchased could be sold on the GTN? I thought it was bound and/or had no value

I didn't think cartel purchased could be sold on the GTN? I thought it was bound and/or had no value

I do remember some of the stuff could be sold.

I specifically bought some "packs" to sit in for months before selling them for massive credits. I don't know if that's still allowed.

You can't sell Cartel Market items to a vendor. You can sell them on the GTN which is the auction house for the game.

I do remember some of the stuff could be sold.

I specifically bought some "packs" to sit in for months before selling them for massive credits. I don't know if that's still allowed.

It is absolutely allowed.

I think there used to be a 48 hour cooldown or something b4 you could sell cartel items on the GTN after acquiring them.

Back