Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Anyone still play this?

I got back into it a few days ago after not having played since first day of launch. Basically had to relearn how to play my 30 Jedi Guardian...

But, almost 37 now. Seems like the game took a steep difficulty increase once I hit Quesh. Not that I had any trouble killing anything, it was just that I was frequently low health when the fights ended.

Kira seems like a total badass. I remember when the game launched people were saying leveling a Guardian is easier once you get Doc, but Kira kills everything so much quicker. Downside is I spend significantly more time resting so... I guess it evens out.

Anyone still play this?

I got back into it a few days ago after not having played since first day of launch. Basically had to relearn how to play my 30 Jedi Guardian...

But, almost 37 now. Seems like the game took a steep difficulty increase once I hit Quesh. Not that I had any trouble killing anything, it was just that I was frequently low health when the fights ended.

Kira seems like a total badass. I remember when the game launched people were saying leveling a Guardian is easier once you get Doc, but Kira kills everything so much quicker. Downside is I spend significantly more time resting so... I guess it evens out.

Many people will tell you that leveling is easier with a healing companion. It simply isn't true. You can transition to the next mob pull more quickly but you also kill them slower. If you have a hard hitting DPS companion (Vette probably hits the hardest out of the original companions) out you can get through mobs more quickly, but you'll have to heal in between fights. Treek and HK are over powered and the former can tank, heal or DPS.

Many people will tell you that leveling is easier with a healing companion. It simply isn't true. You can transition to the next mob pull more quickly but you also kill them slower. If you have a hard hitting DPS companion (Vette probably hits the hardest out of the original companions) out you can get through mobs more quickly, but you'll have to heal in between fights. Treek and HK are over powered and the former can tank, heal or DPS.

I'm a ways off from HK-51, but is Treek worth it?

It's 2100 CC and 700 to unlock on additional characters? (or alternatively it seems you can buy him on additional characters for 300k cred and legacy 40, but I'm at legacy 2 :p)

Probably going to stick with the Guardian as my main, but kind of toying with Trooper and Inquisitor alts.

EDIT: Noticed they put her on sale at one point... might try to wait for another.

Last edited:
I got the game on day one, but I hated the graphics. It looked washed out. Have they updated the graphics glitch yet?

I got the game on day one, but I hated the graphics. It looked washed out. Have they updated the graphics glitch yet?

The graphics look better to me than they did at launch, but I can't really say because I'm running higher settings (like ultra vs high) and at 1440p instead of 1080p, not to mention a calibrated IPS monitor now vs a calibrated 120 Hz TN back then.

But I've still wondered if it's something more than that. The planets are definitely prettier graphics wise than I remember, but then, I'm running around on planets I never got to back then.

graphics are not significantly better overall, but they have worked out a LOT of bugs. I don't play a lot, but I've not had a lot of issues with it for a while (I play on a gtx680 and a ati5750).

I hate how the galactic market prices are just fucking insane now. I can't imagine people actually pay those prices. I just sell my crap to med bots and get my gear through flashpoints and commendation vendors now.

graphics are not significantly better overall, but they have worked out a LOT of bugs. I don't play a lot, but I've not had a lot of issues with it for a while (I play on a gtx680 and a ati5750).

I hate how the galactic market prices are just fucking insane now. I can't imagine people actually pay those prices. I just sell my crap to med bots and get my gear through flashpoints and commendation vendors now.

This is always in any MMO after new tier of gear is introduced. Mats are scarce, getting schematics is a pita, beacuse you first need to reverse engineering existing items, and demand is so big, that the small populace of crafters actually can't meet the supply. Typical market behaviour.

It will calm down in few weeks, once augment and accesories market is satisfied, and people stop buying stuff like crazy, because they got it from drops/commendations/guild crafting.

I play casually and I definitely enjoy it, I've always enjoyed Star Wars games and I plan to try to get something up to at least 50 now that the semester is over.

yes, still play it..best f2p mmo on the market

they just came out with the expansion..2 new areas. lvl increase to 60 and ofcourse lots of new gear/instances etc.

I don't have it yet because i tend to wait while the crowd goes away so lag doesn't become an issue..nolt to mention it gives the economy time to get back in balance as stated by previous poster

as someone in game said, would you rather be a gnome or a sith lord.,....that pretty much somes it up for atmosphere...lol

yes, still play it..best f2p mmo on the market

they just came out with the expansion..2 new areas. lvl increase to 60 and ofcourse lots of new gear/instances etc.

I don't have it yet because i tend to wait while the crowd goes away so lag doesn't become an issue..nolt to mention it gives the economy time to get back in balance as stated by previous poster

as someone in game said, would you rather be a gnome or a sith lord.,....that pretty much somes it up for atmosphere...lol

Now I want to play a Gnome Inquisitor.

The graphics look better to me than they did at launch, but I can't really say because I'm running higher settings (like ultra vs high) and at 1440p instead of 1080p, not to mention a calibrated IPS monitor now vs a calibrated 120 Hz TN back then.

But I've still wondered if it's something more than that. The planets are definitely prettier graphics wise than I remember, but then, I'm running around on planets I never got to back then.

The graphics are better than they were at launch. The game shipped without the higher quality textures being enabled. You use to see the textures briefly when you would hit the holoterminal on your ship and it would load them temporarily. Newer planets from Makeb onward do in fact have better graphics than earlier planets do. They supposedly use a broader DirectX feature set than the earlier ones do. It's still a DX9 title though if I am not mistaken.

The prices will come down. Actually Rishi and Yavin IV have tons of resources so gathering hasn't been quite the problem it was in earlier parts of the game. As for the money, if you have millions of credits some of the prices really aren't all that bad. The 186 relics for example are significantly cheaper than the Dread Forged (180) relics were and represent a significant upgrade over the Dread Forged relics.

Thanks. I might give it a try again. i hated that low resolution graphics on your armor glitch and i'm glad they fixed that. Now I just need to re-learn the game again.

So, right now my Guardian's crew skills are Biochem (~250), Bioanalysis (~250), and Slicing (450). Apparently when the game first came out I didn't realize you needed Diplomacy to go along with those first two.

I was thinking of either droping Slicing for Diplomacy, droping Biochem and Bioanalysis for two more mission skills, or just dropping them all and going Artifice/Archaeology/Treasure Hunting. Not really sure yet.

So, right now my Guardian's crew skills are Biochem (~250), Bioanalysis (~250), and Slicing (450). Apparently when the game first came out I didn't realize you needed Diplomacy to go along with those first two.

I was thinking of either droping Slicing for Diplomacy, droping Biochem and Bioanalysis for two more mission skills, or just dropping them all and going Artifice/Archaeology/Treasure Hunting. Not really sure yet.
You won't "need" Diplomacy really until you get to max level and want to create the rare and artifact stims and whatnot. By then you'll probably have found dozens of Concealed Coffers on Rishi and Yavin 4, and combined with not having to spend credits on new skills anymore, you'll probably have enough to just buy the mats you need on the GTN.

I craft what I need, that's why I have about 20 toons. Money isn't really a problem either, I'm multimillionaire.

You won't "need" Diplomacy really until you get to max level and want to create the rare and artifact stims and whatnot. By then you'll probably have found dozens of Concealed Coffers on Rishi and Yavin 4, and combined with not having to spend credits on new skills anymore, you'll probably have enough to just buy the mats you need on the GTN.

Hmm... thanks. I was leveling biochem and happened to notice I wasn't getting medical supplies from bioanlaysis missions, but I suppose you can buy those of the market.

Which leads me to my other big problem... keeping my gear up to date while leveling. It seems like there's a really big shortage of gear/mods on the market, and I don't have alts to make my own stuff. I just bought a lot of mods with basic commendations but it's going to have to last a while because it's really expensive to do that for myself and one companion.

I do occasionally get gear for my companions from quests, but it's few and far between, and hasn't really been better than what they're already wearing (though that might change if I can't afford to upgrade their gear again in 5+ levels :().

Thanks. I might give it a try again. i hated that low resolution graphics on your armor glitch and i'm glad they fixed that. Now I just need to re-learn the game again.

The game is easier than ever before. Procs for abilities are highlighted and virtually all the RNG has been taken out of the rotations. You no longer need to learn skill trees either. The discipline system overhauled in 3.0 eliminates this. Points are now spent largely on utilities rather than actual skills.

I'm a ways off from HK-51, but is Treek worth it?

It's 2100 CC and 700 to unlock on additional characters? (or alternatively it seems you can buy him on additional characters for 300k cred and legacy 40, but I'm at legacy 2 :p)

Probably going to stick with the Guardian as my main, but kind of toying with Trooper and Inquisitor alts.

EDIT: Noticed they put her on sale at one point... might try to wait for another.

Treek can heal or tank. I believe she can DPS as well. She's definitely worth it especially when unlocked account wide. I've got BiS Dread Forged / Dread Master gear in legacy sets with legacy main and off hands. I can basically have a fully geared companion ready to go on any character at any time. Treek can cover this role effectively replacing most other companions. HK is still the hardest hitting companion DPS wise but Treek is capable enough as all the solo content is free of an enrage timer.

Treek can heal or tank. I believe she can DPS as well. She's definitely worth it especially when unlocked account wide. I've got BiS Dread Forged / Dread Master gear in legacy sets with legacy main and off hands. I can basically have a fully geared companion ready to go on any character at any time. Treek can cover this role effectively replacing most other companions. HK is still the hardest hitting companion DPS wise but Treek is capable enough as all the solo content is free of an enrage timer.

I feel like everything will be easier once I have some alts with crafting skills and some money to spend. Right now I can barely keep myself and one companion geared. If I got Treek she'd probably be naked for a while.

Which leads me to my other big problem... keeping my gear up to date while leveling. It seems like there's a really big shortage of gear/mods on the market, and I don't have alts to make my own stuff. I just bought a lot of mods with basic commendations but it's going to have to last a while because it's really expensive to do that for myself and one companion.

I do occasionally get gear for my companions from quests, but it's few and far between, and hasn't really been better than what they're already wearing (though that might change if I can't afford to upgrade their gear again in 5+ levels :().
I haven't done a sub-55 quest since the expansion came out, but from what I remember, you got a choice of comms, a chest, or some piece of gear for completing each step in the story quest. If you do the planetary quest line, and other random non-heroics, you'll probably end up doing just fine. Then when you get to Makeb you can use the GSI console and just cheese your way to 55.

HK is still the hardest hitting companion DPS wise but Treek is capable enough as all the solo content is free of an enrage timer.
I read somewhere that your melee DPS companion ends up being the hardest hitting, when in his or her DoT "stance", given adequate gear. Plus your melee companion will likely have AoE abilities, while all of HK's are single target.

Last edited:
I haven't done a sub-55 quest since the expansion came out, but from what I remember, you got a choice of comms, a chest, or some piece of gear for completing each step in the story quest. If you do the planetary quest line, and other random non-heroics, you'll probably end up doing just fine. Then when you get to Makeb you can use the GSI console and just cheese your way to 55.

I think the problem is I've been putting gear together with mods, which seems to completely outclass the gear you get from quests, and so six levels later when I'm still getting quest items that are downgrades it's still been a long enough time that I feel like I should be upgrading my gear.

I just wish the market on my server was more saturated. I'm on Republic side Shadowlands and there's frequently either none or very few of what I'm looking for on the market. Kind of wonder if it's this way on other servers.

I read somewhere that your melee DPS companion ends up being the hardest hitting, when in his or her DoT "stance", given adequate gear. Plus your melee companion will likely have AoE abilities, while all of HK's are single target.

Not really. Overall DPS data generally favors HK though it is situational to some extent as you pointed out.

They dumbed down Makeb. You don't really need any gear as the GSI terminal bolsters your gear and you get a kolto prob on you which heals you through combat. Add to that reduced mob density and all mobs in the game were nerfed somewhat for 3.0.

As for gearing, Makeb just gives you basic commendations now. That's just mods, armorings and enhancements now. Oricon gets you gear directly but it isn't great. It is however sufficient to get you through to level 56 or so when you start getting 162 blues through 178 blues. The 186 Basic Commendations gear at level 60 is poorly optimized but sufficient towards getting you the better 192's so you can do HM operations for new 198's.

I think the problem is I've been putting gear together with mods, which seems to completely outclass the gear you get from quests, and so six levels later when I'm still getting quest items that are downgrades it's still been a long enough time that I feel like I should be upgrading my gear.
If your custom gear is better than the quest reward gear, then you're doing just fine. Just keep upgrading pieces when you feel like you should.

It is however sufficient to get you through to level 56 or so when you start getting 162 blues through 178 blues.
If you get the "Shadow of Revan: Prelude" quest when you hit 55, you'll get the option to complete the 4 Forged Alliances tactical FPs in Solo Mode, with the GSI robot who heals and tanks for you. The rewards for completing each part are 2 pieces of uncommon quality 162 gear, and the boss drops are artifact 156 weapons, I believe. If you do all that with rested XP and a Cartel Market 25% XP boost, you should have a full set of gear and be halfway to level 57 by the time you get to Rishi.

The legacy perks, like the 6% increase exp ones, where it says "Only available to current character when purchased" isn't really clear to me. Does that mean when you purchase it with credits it's only available to that specific character and when you buy it with CC it's legacy wide, or is it one character only either way?

It's current character only, not legacy wide. All legacy character perks are for the current character only. Global legacy unlocks are available for all. Though, you can unlock treek for all characters from collections with cc.

Last edited:
If your custom gear is better than the quest reward gear, then you're doing just fine. Just keep upgrading pieces when you feel like you should.

If you get the "Shadow of Revan: Prelude" quest when you hit 55, you'll get the option to complete the 4 Forged Alliances tactical FPs in Solo Mode, with the GSI robot who heals and tanks for you. The rewards for completing each part are 2 pieces of uncommon quality 162 gear, and the boss drops are artifact 156 weapons, I believe. If you do all that with rested XP and a Cartel Market 25% XP boost, you should have a full set of gear and be halfway to level 57 by the time you get to Rishi.

As I said, the crappy artifact (156) gear you can doing the quests on Oricon is enough to get you through to level 56 when you can start using the quest reward gear you get on Rishi.

Almost everything you buy with commendations is crap to begin with. It is enough to get you geared for the operations that will drop the 192 tokens. (Even then those are not always optimized right either.)

As I said, the crappy artifact (156) gear you can doing the quests on Oricon is enough to get you through to level 56 when you can start using the quest reward gear you get on Rishi.
And I'm saying that the gear that you get through the combination of "Shadow of Revan: Prelude" and the "Forged Alliances" Solo Mode FPs is better than what you'll get on Oricon, and you'll get more XP as well. I bet that even if you hadn't upgraded any gear since Hoth, the GSI robot would get you through everything.

Tried to get back... even accepted new character system. But I don't know, can't play the MMOs anymore. All the group content is irritating, and can't force myself to grind same content daily. I'll just run it with GSI bot, to learn the stories and then play the one class story mission and I'll be off the grid again.

And I'm saying that the gear that you get through the combination of "Shadow of Revan: Prelude" and the "Forged Alliances" Solo Mode FPs is better than what you'll get on Oricon, and you'll get more XP as well. I bet that even if you hadn't upgraded any gear since Hoth, the GSI robot would get you through everything.

I get what your saying now. For some reason I didn't initially. Part of the issue is that the bulk of my characters were all a mix of BiS Dread Forged / Dread Master gear. Even the 186 commendations gear you get from the level 60 basic gear isn't an upgrade for me. So I haven't had to gear at all. I went straight into the new operations.

I vendor trashed the 162-168 greens or whatever that you get initially and used the 178 blues on companions.

I get what your saying now. For some reason I didn't initially. Part of the issue is that the bulk of my characters were all a mix of BiS Dread Forged / Dread Master gear. Even the 186 commendations gear you get from the level 60 basic gear isn't an upgrade for me. So I haven't had to gear at all. I went straight into the new operations.
No problem. My main is my best geared character by far, and I think was the only one who had done the "Forged Alliances" quests before the expansion came out, so I was pleasantly surprised to get the gear when I completed the Korriban Incursion (Republic) on the first alt I started leveling.

No problem. My main is my best geared character by far, and I think was the only one who had done the "Forged Alliances" quests before the expansion came out, so I was pleasantly surprised to get the gear when I completed the Korriban Incursion (Republic) on the first alt I started leveling.

I ended up getting stuck tanking. I generally preferred to DPS but once people found out I could tank, I ended up doing a lot of it. As a result my tanks are generally the better geared characters I have.

Maaan, this sucks. I re-installed thinking I was ready to replay this game. Made it to the character creation screen and got all pumped. Made it inside the game and played for about 30 minutes and got instantly bored :( I remember when this game first came out, my buddy and I played it the entire winter break everyday non stop. That was a fun a week.

Sad day yesterday, indeed.

Decided to stick my JK with Biochem, made a Trooper alt and now can't decide between Armormech and Cybertech. Feel like Armormech would be useful for gearing up the Trooper (and companions), but Cybertech would be nice for gearing up alts when I'm using orange gear and can't find the right mods on the GTN (seems to be really frequent) and want to save comms. Downside: I'm really far away legacy level wise from the ship sensor. :(

Decided to stick my JK with Biochem, made a Trooper alt and now can't decide between Armormech and Cybertech. Feel like Armormech would be useful for gearing up the Trooper (and companions), but Cybertech would be nice for gearing up alts when I'm using orange gear and can't find the right mods on the GTN (seems to be really frequent) and want to save comms. Downside: I'm really far away legacy level wise from the ship sensor. :(

Armstech and Armormech aren't as useful as you would imagine.

During the leveling process Artifice and Cybertech are generally the most useful. Armormech and Armstech help with barrels and certain augments but that's it. Mods, armorings and earpieces are all Cybertech. Artifice handles relics, hilts, crystals and enhancements. Crafting is far less important end game in terms of usable gear. At that point it's all about making credits. And again the money makers are Artifice and Cybertech.

During the leveling process Artifice and Cybertech are generally the most useful. Armormech and Armstech help with barrels and certain augments but that's it. Mods, armorings and earpieces are all Cybertech. Artifice handles relics, hilts, crystals and enhancements. Crafting is far less important end game in terms of usable gear. At that point it's all about making credits. And again the money makers are Artifice and Cybertech.

I've done OK with biochem. The implant market was weak/overpriced on my server so I just started pumping them out for cheap (ish). Made close to a mil at lvl 30. Not much, but enough that I can get the gear I need to proceed without worrying too much on cost.

Yeah, I decided to go with Cybertech. I've been able to make blue mods for myself with relative ease. Could do purple but the levels go by so quick at the moment (<20) I don't really see the point of that considering what I could sell them for.

Getting some nice stuff to sell from my mission skills, too.

Now I kind of want to make an Inquisitor for Artifice. Why can't I stop making alts? I still have 19 more levels to 60 on my main!

Yeah, I decided to go with Cybertech. I've been able to make blue mods for myself with relative ease. Could do purple but the levels go by so quick at the moment (<20) I don't really see the point of that considering what I could sell them for.

Getting some nice stuff to sell from my mission skills, too.

Now I kind of want to make an Inquisitor for Artifice. Why can't I stop making alts? I still have 19 more levels to 60 on my main!

I took as much advantage of the 12x XP as I could. I've got a dozen level 55's and about 7 of them are level 60 now.

I took as much advantage of the 12x XP as I could. I've got a dozen level 55's and about 7 of them are level 60 now.

Yeah, I wish I had done that. I knew it was happening, but I didn't pre-order SoR because I hadn't played SWTOR in basically three years and couldn't forsee myself returning. Then when I actually did come back, I was pretty bummed I missed out on that. Missed it by that much.

I was also a little misinformed through news sites, I thought it was 12x exp but only for levels 55-60.

I suppose I'll just try to keep to my three characters and hope it comes back at some point.

i downloaded the game last week, logged on a few mins ago and...... idk wtf i am looking at. interface is too alien to me, kinda don't wanna start a new character.

Yeah, I wish I had done that. I knew it was happening, but I didn't pre-order SoR because I hadn't played SWTOR in basically three years and couldn't forsee myself returning. Then when I actually did come back, I was pretty bummed I missed out on that. Missed it by that much.

I was also a little misinformed through news sites, I thought it was 12x exp but only for levels 55-60.

I suppose I'll just try to keep to my three characters and hope it comes back at some point.

12x XP was for levels 1-55. The level cap hadn't increased as this was during the weeks leading up to SoR's release. It was also through the main story quests alone. Essentially you only needed to do the class quests and nothing else. It was really nice actually. I wish I had more time to have taken full advantage of this as I'd have liked to have had at least one of each advanced class. As it stands I have 17 characters, 8x 60s and 4x 55s. The rest are all between 10 and 37.

i downloaded the game last week, logged on a few mins ago and...... idk wtf i am looking at. interface is too alien to me, kinda don't wanna start a new character.

The interface is fully customizable. There are at least two presets that are included with it as well. It takes time to get the interface configured but it's worth the time. Its not amazing graphically or anything but the game is pretty solid overall with a lot to do in it.

Back