Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Man this game is great. Since the server reset / patch on Friday, I have been completely unable to play. As soon as I log into servers I either have an X over my ping or 1 dot and 800-30,000 ms ping.

Every other game and mmo I have works fine. Internet is fine. 20/3 connection that maxes out fine. SWTOR completely unplayable.

Watching my F2P purchased warzone time tick down day by day. Can't even put in a ticket or customer service help request because it is disabled for free 2 play characters.

Man this game is great. Since the server reset / patch on Friday, I have been completely unable to play. As soon as I log into servers I either have an X over my ping or 1 dot and 800-30,000 ms ping.

Every other game and mmo I have works fine. Internet is fine. 20/3 connection that maxes out fine. SWTOR completely unplayable.

Watching my F2P purchased warzone time tick down day by day. Can't even put in a ticket or customer service help request because it is disabled for free 2 play characters.
Hopefully you learned your lesson and will never give them any more money. Oh, and the irony of your sig. :D

Yeah... it's a bit ridiculous really. They really expected that one operation was enough to sate the players of one of the most anticipated MMOs ever? Riiiiiight. :rolleyes:

bottom line...take away levels in all future mmo's...problem solved and extend the time line for those end game shinys..but then players will bitch it takes 'too long and is too grindy' to play the damn game

mmo players are the worse bitchers and complainers in the history of gaming..part of the blame goes to the marketing departments of said evil gaming companies...GW2 is an ACTION RPG and is NOT a MMORPG...just because i log in and there are 100's of others online DOES NOT MAKE it an MMORPG

but yea, the beta testers nailed this one long before launch

i've been playing for the last couple months and having fun with alts, taking my time..but yea, the overall game is still 'bland'..its like chewing gum for the mind...I suppose most mmo's fall into that category

bottom line...take away levels in all future mmo's...problem solved and extend the time line for those end game shinys..but then players will bitch it takes 'too long and is too grindy' to play the damn game

mmo players are the worse bitchers and complainers in the history of gaming..part of the blame goes to the marketing departments of said evil gaming companies...GW2 is an ACTION RPG and is NOT a MMORPG...just because i log in and there are 100's of others online DOES NOT MAKE it an MMORPG

but yea, the beta testers nailed this one long before launch

i've been playing for the last couple months and having fun with alts, taking my time..but yea, the overall game is still 'bland'..its like chewing gum for the mind...I suppose most mmo's fall into that category

The most true statement.

Honestly, I think subscription MMOs are a dying breed. All of the new ones seem to fail because they're either too radically different from WoW and fail in execution, or they're just a WoW clone and everyone would just as soon play WoW, which does the same thing better.

From here on out I'd expect most MMO-like games to be F2P.

Climber said:
That shitty f2p model is actually gaining them subscriptions...wtf?

like Bi said, it's a game you play in spurts that you don't have to think about our put effort into.

for me? I get blazed as fuck and play a few hours a week just because it's free. much like guild wars 2.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

How could they be so dense? Did no one working on the game have any experience with WoW? You hear all the time how fast people go through MMOs.

MMOs attract the most hardcore players. So even if a game like this takes 30 hours or whatever to reach a max character, the hardcore players are doing it during the first week of the games release. These days people plow through MMOs the day they are out.

Also MMOs are dictated entirely by community response unlike single player games. If a handful of hardcore players are dissatisfied, they will take their bitching to hardcore levels and drive down the player base.

LOL, I took my time playing this game and I had two 50s and a 35 at the end of my 2nd month. Of course by that time I was bored out of my mind and couldn't bear the thought of maxxing out my third on planets with only three other players.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/28/bioware-gdc-panel-star-wars-the-old-republic/

What went wrong with SWTOR launch explained by the developer.

The way they instanced the game , the balancing issues , the combat responsiveness , the fact that despite the heavy player population at launch it took them months to do any real server load balancing.

There were so many problems with the game but the one thing I enjoyed was the player focused story lines however its obvious they spent far too much time on that and not enough time on how to get players together to do things.

SWTOR had everything a game could wish for in development : Time , money and a good team.

We all know who ruined it. We all know that in the end EA was just dying to jump into the same pool as WoW. In reality WoW was ocean about 4000 miles away from the kiddie pool EA built in its back yard.

I really , REALLY wanted SWTOR to work. I played it for months , waited patiently for patching to fix some of the major issues. I defended it to my friends but finally I realized it was a sub-par MMO pretending to be a top tier one.

I'm still pissed that I had to rename my character because of a forced server transfer. I just had no desire to play it after that.

GW2 is an ACTION RPG and is NOT a MMORPG...just because i log in and there are 100's of others online DOES NOT MAKE it an MMORPG

i dont agree with that.

its still an MMO

its an MMOARPG

not all MMO's are wow clones if you connect to a server and there are more than 64 people on that server with a "Persistent World" it should be classified as an MMO reguardless if you pay a monthly fee or not, fly a space ship, run around with a BAR or k98, or swing a lightsaber, or tab target, or actually use more skill based targeting or play with blocks.

its still massively multiplayer and online..

one of the few games that wants to be classified as an mmo which it isnt is sim city, because well it just doesnt have the numbers to make it massively multiplayer. if it had a region with 64 cities or more i would say they could rightfully call it an mmo, but hosting a bunch of small regions on the same server and the only interaction between regions is a leaderboard and a "slight market interaction with fake resources" does not make it an mmo its just a normal multi player game.

I'm still pissed that I had to rename my character because of a forced server transfer. I just had no desire to play it after that.
same, i am 99% certain i chose the Rinzler name before anyone else and its the only character i really cared about. and when i got moved to another server of course someone else had the name by then so i was the one forced to change my name? FUCK THAT. it should of gone by date and time created. for all i know it could of been a lvl 1 sitting on someones character list unused yet im being forced to change it atleast if it went by date created it would give the senior character the right to the name.

i was pretty well known on my server as one of the better marauders, not the best. but i destroyed alot of people in pvp and at that point being forced to change a name and have no real identity was the straw that broke the camels back. i promptly uninstalled.

Last edited:
The SWTOR devs were so clueless that they had never even played an MMO.

I spent 3 years and 1,000 + hours on Medievia.com , version 3.x in 1995-1997 ish ( playing time was logged on the stats sheet ).

The SWTOR devs were so clueless that they had never even played an MMO.

I spent 3 years and 1,000 + hours on Medievia.com , version 3.x in 1995-1997 ish ( playing time was logged on the stats sheet ).

This is what happens when you get bean counters and people in the industry making games for money and not because they are gamers or passionate about their field. I am floored they didn't realize they didn't have enough content. Even playing super casual I hit max level within 2 months and had a second character halfway there. I wonder if they even played their own builds.

I honestly can't believe they underestimated a Star Wars MMO. Every single person on that development team must have been mentally challenged to not understand what it was they were working on.

I honestly can't believe they underestimated a Star Wars MMO. Every single person on that development team must have been mentally challenged to not understand what it was they were working on.

I'm sure they had some genuinely talented people scattered through their team... the problem IMO was probably that their team was too damn huge and it was such a clusterfuck getting everything to mesh together well, deadlines for subprojects to sync, stuff like that. Then you throw the fact that it's Star Wars in and probably tons of oversight from various producers, LucasFilm/Arts, etc. etc...

I'm sure they had some genuinely talented people scattered through their team... the problem IMO was probably that their team was too damn huge and it was such a clusterfuck getting everything to mesh together well, deadlines for subprojects to sync, stuff like that. Then you throw the fact that it's Star Wars in and probably tons of oversight from various producers, LucasFilm/Arts, etc. etc...

This is correct. When they cut back on staff I immediately noticed an uptick in the quality of the game experience. But they took too long to merge servers and I left.

80 to 120 hours a week. Seriously people get a fucking life and enjoy everything that life has to offer JESUS.

i dont see how someone playing a game, and enjoying it is not a good life, if you have the free time to spend doing something you enjoy then why not do it?

do you tell people to get a life that spend 40+ hours a week at a workplace? because if you were to ask me thats not living and is more or less just being a sheep. because chances are they dont enjoy it.

but i wouldnt tell them to get a life because that is their life and who am i to tell them how to live it?

80 to 120 hours a week. Seriously people get a fucking life and enjoy everything that life has to offer JESUS.
That's the problem, MMO developers need to always account for the no-lifers who live to grind content. SWTOR is a great casual game, probably why it's doing well as a F2P. Hence also why there's a gear treadmill for the addicted at the top end.

It reads to me like we launched with things we knew we needed done and paid for it.

Pretty much this... "we were too slow to make the game right in the first place despite having an obscenely huge budget and amazing team with insane resources behind it and marketing, so we decided to bet the farm on people not liking our game enough to play through it before we could add in essential functionality". Sounds like a plan! :p

That's the problem, MMO developers need to always account for the no-lifers who live to grind content. SWTOR is a great casual game, probably why it's doing well as a F2P. Hence also why there's a gear treadmill for the addicted at the top end.

Such original and profound thoughts... "no-lifer"! AMAZING! Playtime != no-lifer. In fact, I think you'd have a hard time arguing much of anything is being a "no-lifer" in the real world (including playing videogames as a hobby) outside of this forum you've spent so much time spamming :). Some people would say "4500+ posts, man, that guy spends WAY too much time on message boards..." to you ;), doesn't mean it's really relevant.

Such original and profound thoughts... "no-lifer"! AMAZING! Playtime != no-lifer. In fact, I think you'd have a hard time arguing much of anything is being a "no-lifer" in the real world (including playing videogames as a hobby) outside of this forum you've spent so much time spamming :). Some people would say "4500+ posts, man, that guy spends WAY too much time on message boards..." to you ;), doesn't mean it's really relevant.
I think you need a time out.

everyone's different! we're all nerds here though so let's try and avoid the 'get a life' argument and enjoy the fact that our hobby is a time consuming one, whether you have a girlfriend/job/etc.

everyone's different! we're all nerds here though so let's try and avoid the 'get a life' argument and enjoy the fact that our hobby is a time consuming one, whether you have a girlfriend/job/etc.

Yep, that's pretty much what I was trying to get at :).

I played this for 2-3 months right at launch and lost interest after a while. Suddenly I have an urge to play again, which is unfortunate since I'm deployed... but when I get back stateside I'd like to install it again and play casually through all the classes for their story lines. I remember the Commando story was pretty good and I was enjoying the Smuggler too, tho I didn't finish the story.

Its F2P at this point, correct?

I played this for 2-3 months right at launch and lost interest after a while. Suddenly I have an urge to play again, which is unfortunate since I'm deployed... but when I get back stateside I'd like to install it again and play casually through all the classes for their story lines. I remember the Commando story was pretty good and I was enjoying the Smuggler too, tho I didn't finish the story.

Its F2P at this point, correct?

F2Ps are seriously limited - you can make only 2 characters, can't trade with players, have to pay money for raids and pvp zones or to wear purple items - you have limit on your credits (no more than 200k) and can only have one crafting/gathering profession. Also you are limited from some races.

I enjoy my sub in this game... like the community, and it gets better with every patch. Tried to leave it for a moment and go back to WoW, but WoW was so meh compared to ToR.

SW:TOR had so much potential, they could have ran with it and made it something different, something more then your usual theme-park style mmo gear chasing focused game.

They said they wanted to make first and foremost a "star wars" game when it came to gameplay.

A lot of people were worried the combat wasn't going to be generic, mmo style, we were assured it wouldn't.........and then slowly the gameplay videos game out and it was looking more and more like generic mmo combat....but with no auto atacks they said! Wow that changes everything! not....

This game could have really ran with the "star wars" experience. I loved KOTOR, the story was great, the rpg elements, companions, etc. However that style of rpg combat is not (to me) what "star wars" is about, from a gameplay perspective.

X-wing vs tie fighter
Rogue squadron
Jedi Knight

Those are the "gameplay" examples of what most Star wars fans like and want from a Star wars type game (though I think the melee combat in SEverance is better and would be a step up, most peple are more familiar with Jedi Knight).

If they had given us gameplay like those the combat in of itself would have been a BLAST to play and fun, allow people to buy/upgrade space ships, having combat like in those games I mentioned (xwing/rogue squadron) and melee/shooting like in the Jedi Knight games, along with the rpg style mechanics of building your characters, etc.

Could have been an amazing mmo that was truly different, but they just played it safe, made another wow style mmo with a Star Wars skin slapped on it.

SW:TOR had so much potential, they could have ran with it and made it something different, something more then your usual theme-park style mmo gear chasing focused game.

They said they wanted to make first and foremost a "star wars" game when it came to gameplay.

A lot of people were worried the combat wasn't going to be generic, mmo style, we were assured it wouldn't.........and then slowly the gameplay videos game out and it was looking more and more like generic mmo combat....but with no auto atacks they said! Wow that changes everything! not....

This game could have really ran with the "star wars" experience. I loved KOTOR, the story was great, the rpg elements, companions, etc. However that style of rpg combat is not (to me) what "star wars" is about, from a gameplay perspective.

X-wing vs tie fighter
Rogue squadron
Jedi Knight

Those are the "gameplay" examples of what most Star wars fans like and want from a Star wars type game (though I think the melee combat in SEverance is better and would be a step up, most peple are more familiar with Jedi Knight).

If they had given us gameplay like those the combat in of itself would have been a BLAST to play and fun, allow people to buy/upgrade space ships, having combat like in those games I mentioned (xwing/rogue squadron) and melee/shooting like in the Jedi Knight games, along with the rpg style mechanics of building your characters, etc.

Could have been an amazing mmo that was truly different, but they just played it safe, made another wow style mmo with a Star Wars skin slapped on it.

They had Star Wars Galaxies as sort of a bell weather on how a non WoW type Star Wars MMO might perform. So they may have been a little skittish about drifting too far from a proven successful formula. Everyone involved wanted this thing to be huge, all their eggs were in the mega hit basket, and so any gameplay perceived as risky innovation was rejected. NPC voice overs and story was suppose to be the ticket.

They had Star Wars Galaxies as sort of a bell weather on how a non WoW type Star Wars MMO might perform. So they may have been a little skittish about drifting too far from a proven successful formula. Everyone involved wanted this thing to be huge, all their eggs were in the mega hit basket, and so any gameplay perceived as risky innovation was rejected. NPC voice overs and story was suppose to be the ticket.

If there's anything mmo's should have taught anyone over the years it's that players will rush through the end game, and MANY mmo players skip quest-dialogue, mainly because they days the quest are boring fetch/go kill x (even i SW:TOR it was like this).

One thing Star wars had going for it was the Flashpoint style group missions, heavily story focused. These were one of it's aces up the sleeve, and they had just a HANDFUL of them at launch, I don't even get why they had so few.

the general theme-park quest oriented mmo's end up going through the same motions, players reach end game, do raids, get the "uberest" gear, get bored, quit. Dev's make expansion to bring them back, making new "uber-er" gear, raise level cap, new filler quests/dungeons/or a raid, players rush through it again to reach end...get bored again and quit.

Rinse and repeat.

Look at UO, that kind of gameplay lent itself to "mmos" a lot better (imo) as far as keeping people interested for DIFFERENT reasons. It was never about "rushing through end game" or any thing, hell there were no QUESTS in the game. The game was simply open, you did what you wanted, how you wanted. I, and other people I know that played UO, NEVER played it to "reach end game" or any type of thing like most theme-park style mmo's.

SWG had that style of "world" and more open character progression, but they shoehorned in the normal PVE oriented "quest" system and got people back into that habit and theme park style of play, it tried to be half sandbox/half theme park. It did some things well (housing system, crafting, character building).

If developers want/expect people to "break" from this, they have to design things differently. Don't build the games around "PVE loot" and chasing "uber" gear, dont' focus on story-quests that WILL eventually run out. Focus more on gameplay, let the actual act of "playing" be fun and what people enjoy.

april 14th for the expansion

I still play through for the class storylines, each level 50 racking up 5-6days of playtime (so 125+ hours), got 5 down, and 3 to go. for me that's where the value is. I will play with a few family members who are f2p, and that's fun also, just killing mobs off together.

though the biggest problem with groups is that you have so many min/max players rushing to start the lvl 50 grind, that you lose out on a lot of the exploration and story just rushing from mob to mob and spacebar-ing your way through conversations. people complain about the grind of the end game but ignored the meat along the way.

best april fools of 2013?

adawdawd.jpg

well played Mr. Takei well played sir.

Back