Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Well, I was playing before the game launched. I made it up to around lvl 27-28 and got bored of it. I just canceled my subscription. Cool game and all but I am just too busy to play games anymore.

What is ever going to get fixed without complaints?

My server says "standard" most of the time now, and will dip into "light" in the off-hours. The truth is, it is a very low-pop "light" server. The threshold for "standard" is set low and is not a good indication. You make it sound like I had some sort of way to determine who was going where. I assume you played WoW or some other MMO recently to know where the high-end PVP'ers were going? I did not. I went with what the game told me and got burned.

Also: server transfers. Rift had them at release (while everyone likes to compare who had what/what was broken at release), why not? They said they're coming with no ETA. I'm stuck on a deadbeat server until then.

No.

And the pvp-gear "randomness" sucks -- I've had close to 40 bags now and have gotten three pairs of pants. :(

This isn't the forum to complain hoping for fixes. In any case, you've made your point. Several times.

And you might feel you did not "rush" to 50, but the fact remains that there are few 50s right now not because of low pop overall, but because the game is not even a month old. My server is high pop, and I am imperial, and it is still hard to find people 40+. And that is because leveling up is so much fun that people keep rolling alts. Which is a good thing.

Speaking of alts, let me ask all the smugglers out here: I want to do an alt, and I am currently a BH merc. Is game play as a non force user dps different enough to be worthwhile? I don't want same game play, different story, I want something different. I've been considering jedi knight tank, but wanted to hear what you smugglers/operatives had to say.

This isn't the forum to complain hoping for fixes. In any case, you've made your point. Several times.

And you might feel you did not "rush" to 50, but the fact remains that there are few 50s right now not because of low pop overall, but because the game is not even a month old. My server is high pop, and I am imperial, and it is still hard to find people 40+. And that is because leveling up is so much fun that people keep rolling alts. Which is a good thing.

Speaking of alts, let me ask all the smugglers out here: I want to do an alt, and I am currently a BH merc. Is game play as a non force user dps different enough to be worthwhile? I don't want same game play, different story, I want something different. I've been considering jedi knight tank, but wanted to hear what you smugglers/operatives had to say.

The BH story is pretty good. I played my Imp Agent first to 25 and then switched, I honestly didn't like their storyline very much up til that point, after that I'm not sure which way it goes. That being said, I also played a Sentinel to 30 and the JK story is pretty epic.

Thanks. To clarify, I am a BH. I want something different from it, not just in terms of story, but game play as well. I've been thinking a dark side jedi knight but a smuggler is also appealing.

Thanks. To clarify, I am a BH. I want something different from it, not just in terms of story, but game play as well. I've been thinking a dark side jedi knight but a smuggler is also appealing.

Well the difference between your Merc and a Gunslinger is far less than that of a force using class. Mercs and GS's both use 2 pistols, with the GS differences being using the cover mechanic. If you do go Smuggler I'd definitely go Scoundrel, as it will give you some good melee potential which will be a little different from being a more ranged class as a Merc. The JK will be a complete opposite of what you are currently playing, and thus I think will offer more to you in terms of switching playstyles and being more enjoyable. That's my opinion at least. And taking a JK down the dark side path is pretty cool in theory, the choices affect the dialogue in your storyline, but it's kind of a let down that no matter how dark side you go...you're still a Jedi, still a good guy.

To me, it seems like the Force user classes are kind of "stuck" in terms of the choice system. It makes a lot more sense as a Smuggler or BH to go either way, because you aren't necessarily completely aligned with a faction.

Well the difference between your Merc and a Gunslinger is far less than that of a force using class. Mercs and GS's both use 2 pistols, with the GS differences being using the cover mechanic. If you do go Smuggler I'd definitely go Scoundrel, as it will give you some good melee potential which will be a little different from being a more ranged class as a Merc. The JK will be a complete opposite of what you are currently playing, and thus I think will offer more to you in terms of switching playstyles and being more enjoyable. That's my opinion at least. And taking a JK down the dark side path is pretty cool in theory, the choices affect the dialogue in your storyline, but it's kind of a let down that no matter how dark side you go...you're still a Jedi, still a good guy.

To me, it seems like the Force user classes are kind of "stuck" in terms of the choice system. It makes a lot more sense as a Smuggler or BH to go either way, because you aren't necessarily completely aligned with a faction.

Agreed. I've got a Jedi Sentinel which is the opposite faction version of the Sith Maurader which I also have. I've got a Gunslinger, which is totally different in play style from the others. The Sentienl and Maurader play the same. The main difference is in their stories and some of the places they go. It's different enough for me to be interested in both, but it may not be enough variation for some.

Agreed. I've got a Jedi Sentinel which is the opposite faction version of the Sith Maurader which I also have. I've got a Gunslinger, which is totally different in play style from the others. The Sentienl and Maurader play the same. The main difference is in their stories and some of the places they go. It's different enough for me to be interested in both, but it may not be enough variation for some.

The big difference between gunslinger and scoundrel is the PVE vs the PVP. The scoundrel rocks faces at PVP while the gunslinger tree strugles. The gunslinger rules at DPS on PVE while the scoundrel will get laughed at. The only cool thing is the Scoundrel can do both PVP and PVE through healing. The scoundrel makes a great PVP healer too.

The big difference between gunslinger and scoundrel is the PVE vs the PVP. The scoundrel rocks faces at PVP while the gunslinger tree strugles. The gunslinger rules at DPS on PVE while the scoundrel will get laughed at. The only cool thing is the Scoundrel can do both PVP and PVE through healing. The scoundrel makes a great PVP healer too.

gunslinger most certainly does NOT struggle in pvp.

Well I'm pissed off. The Radeon HD 7970 isn't working right with this game. I'm not using Crossfire, just a single card. Lightsabers keep disappearing and I'm seeing all kinds of lighting issues.

I want to push AMD's driver team down a flight of stairs.

Well the main problem I was having is that it wouldn't show the lighting for the different phases and my lightsaber blades would disappear and reappear randomly (as would anyone else's) and far too frequently for my liking. This is the only game I've got issues with right now, so it could easily be a SWTOR thing. Playing with the control panel options didn't help me either.

What does make me want to push AMD's driver devs down the stairs is the fact that the driver software should allow you to create profiles, but at least on my machine, this isn't true. It lets me make my adjustments and then when I try to save a profile, it goes to a file open instead of a name and save. I actually did solve my problem though. I disabled bloom in the control panel. The lighting in the game now looks a bit lifeless, but it's working right at the moment. I'll give the Radeon HD 7970 this much, it's smoother and more consistent with frame rates in this game than my GTX 580 SLI setup was.

I'd still like to try this game out, but it has not gone on sale in the least, and no demo to boot. Which I guess is to be expected this soon into it's life.

I'd still like to try this game out, but it has not gone on sale in the least, and no demo to boot. Which I guess is to be expected this soon into it's life.

That was my big beef with the game as well. It was the reason I didn't play it until about a week after release.
I am really glad I took the plunge though.

Got my new speeder yesterday.

011412051458.jpg

It's the one in Voss for 1.5 mil credits. Honestly, there isn't much to speed credits on in this game, it seems. It's easy enough to get credits through PVP and dailies, so I figured what the hell.

Well I'm pissed off. The Radeon HD 7970 isn't working right with this game. I'm not using Crossfire, just a single card. Lightsabers keep disappearing and I'm seeing all kinds of lighting issues.

I want to push AMD's driver team down a flight of stairs.

Do you get flicker on trees? It is most noted on the starting planet for Jedis (tyhtoon?)

I am on 11.12 from Dec 13th.

I suspect a new driver release is around the corner.

Got my new speeder yesterday.

It's the one in Voss for 1.5 mil credits. Honestly, there isn't much to speed credits on in this game, it seems. It's easy enough to get credits through PVP and dailies, so I figured what the hell.

There most be something I don't know.

I am level 25 and I only have like 20k credits to my name and I even got some rare gear that I probably made 10k off out. I haven't done PVP, but did some dailies and mostly quests.

The only thing I have really pumped money is the crafting which I am at like 180 on Underworld/Savaging/Cypertech

Hell I need about 300,000 to even afford skills and shit.

So no clue where you guys are getting all your money.

I still don't see any holo messages, in cutscenes or out....

I don't if bloom is disabled.

Do you get flicker on trees? It is most noted on the starting planet for Jedis (tyhtoon?)

I am on 11.12 from Dec 13th.

I suspect a new driver release is around the corner.

I've really only played on Taris and Quesh since getting it. But so far I have not seen that. I've seen a lot of lighting issues, but mostly when bloom is enabled. I've also been to Hoth and as I'm sure you know, there are no trees on Hoth. :)

I am level 25 and I only have like 20k credits to my name and I even got some rare gear that I probably made 10k off out. I haven't done PVP, but did some dailies and mostly quests.

The only thing I have really pumped money is the crafting which I am at like 180 on Underworld/Savaging/Cypertech

+1

i keep seeing everyone talking about swimming in credits...
i must be doing something wrong cause I'm always broke as a joke

dunno

+1

dunno

Stop buying stuff and stop leveling crew skills. Pick up slicing or treasure hunting, or if you want to lvl up crew skills sell your materials on the GTN.

Stop buying stuff and stop leveling crew skills. Pick up slicing or treasure hunting, or if you want to lvl up crew skills sell your materials on the GTN.

So... don't spend credits? Not exactly the best answer to "How do I make a lot of money?"

So... don't spend credits? Not exactly the best answer to "How do I make a lot of money?"

I think he's telling you to save and stop wasting money on crew skills that currently aren't huge money makers. Selling things on the auction house (i'm going to call it that because i'm programmed too , thanks WoW) is a no brainer .. even though it might not be incredibly active you should still list things up there , you will be surprised that even in a new game economy there are always traders willing to buy goods.

Don't waste money on upgrades from vendors either , only use commendations never credits. You'll get all the good gear you want from questing. If you do that and spend smart you'll have tons of credits by the time you hit 50.

+1

dunno

Heroic zones drop a lot of credits, which are then split amongst group members. So if you can complete a heroic quest, or march through a heroic zone by yourself/with fewer people, you wont have to share as much with others. :)

I've really only played on Taris and Quesh since getting it. But so far I have not seen that. I've seen a lot of lighting issues, but mostly when bloom is enabled. I've also been to Hoth and as I'm sure you know, there are no trees on Hoth. :)

Can you reroll something like a Jedi to possible test? Just do like the first 2 missions. In the Cut scenes look in the background at the leaves and tell me if they flicker black/green?

I am on a 5850 by the way.

So i've created a couple of force users. First thing is that leveling them up is ridiculously slow if compared to the bounty hunter. The BH's AOEs make leveling up pretty fast, and Mako is a great starting companion (did all heroic +2s solo so far). Jedi Knights and consulars have very little aoe, and most are tied to cooldowns and such.

Another thing is that I think that the light/dark side balance is interesting on the sith, but not on the republic. Light and dark on the sith, and the empire generally, is more like the old lawful/chaotic distinction in the old baldur's gate: if you are a light side empire, you are still getting the good guy, but you capture him instead of killing him. On the republic, the difference is simple whether you are a whiny bitch or not.

Can you reroll something like a Jedi to possible test? Just do like the first 2 missions. In the Cut scenes look in the background at the leaves and tell me if they flicker black/green?

my 6870 does the flickering thing.

I'll let you know when my 7970 gets here,

ATI has rendering issue but runs the game smoothly when not freaking the hell out.
nV has just... Issues running the game smoothly.

to anyone who was like me, and completely avoided War Zones and Huttball because of the hatred or uninterest in PvP, try it.

Im a level 50 Merc, and believe it or not just tried both for the first time today and I'm hooked. I'm loving it so far. Not something I would do consistently, but it's definitely a great change of pace. Much like space combat.

Is there any NPC where you can buy color crystals, be it for commendations or otherwise? As a light side BH it is impossible to find high level light side crystals on the GTN.

Well the main problem I was having is that it wouldn't show the lighting for the different phases and my lightsaber blades would disappear and reappear randomly (as would anyone else's) and far too frequently for my liking. This is the only game I've got issues with right now, so it could easily be a SWTOR thing. Playing with the control panel options didn't help me either.

What does make me want to push AMD's driver devs down the stairs is the fact that the driver software should allow you to create profiles, but at least on my machine, this isn't true. It lets me make my adjustments and then when I try to save a profile, it goes to a file open instead of a name and save. I actually did solve my problem though. I disabled bloom in the control panel. The lighting in the game now looks a bit lifeless, but it's working right at the moment. I'll give the Radeon HD 7970 this much, it's smoother and more consistent with frame rates in this game than my GTX 580 SLI setup was.
It is a bug when forcing antialiasing. Disable it and insta fix. Re enable Aa once patch hits with official support. My 7970 is fine with tor.

I also have the tree flickering issue (5850 as sig says). I maxed out everything in-game and then added AA through the client settings file, but my fps was dropping in to the upper teens and lower 20s. Sadly, even though I turned AA off, my frame rate still dips in to the 20s... didn't think this game would cause me to look for a new card, but it has.

I also have the tree flickering issue (5850 as sig says). I maxed out everything in-game and then added AA through the client settings file, but my fps was dropping in to the upper teens and lower 20s. Sadly, even though I turned AA off, my frame rate still dips in to the 20s... didn't think this game would cause me to look for a new card, but it has.

I'm on an imac, and a laptop card and I have no issues. I max everything except for shadows and force AA and AF in the video card settings. I'm at 2560x1440. Most of the time i'm in the 30-40 range. Somtimes in certain parts of certain space missions I can drop into the 20's but aside from that it's pretty smooth.

I have no weird flickering issues.

I'm on an imac, and a laptop card and I have no issues. I max everything except for shadows and force AA and AF in the video card settings. I'm at 2560x1440. Most of the time i'm in the 30-40 range. Somtimes in certain parts of certain space missions I can drop into the 20's but aside from that it's pretty smooth.

I have no weird flickering issues.

It's amazing how two 7970s don't even max frame for me in Dromund Kaas. When I am outdoor I get around 60-70 FPS when it's raining with full foliage. When I am indoors I am maxed at 111.1 FPS. I just don't get it. Is 2560x1600 in crossfire not acceptable? I do play with forced 4XAA and 4XANIS. Everything maxed. I just don't know what to do. I even reformatted to see if that will fix this. But it's not stuttering like it was on my HD 5970. I had to turn shadows off to fix that. Or it could be a video memory being all used up. Nothng is overclocked too, everything is at auto and the temps are good even after I repalced the TIM.

I noticed this problem on my GTX 580 SLI setup with both SLI enabled and disabled. Oddly, the GTX 580 in another system didn't do this.

It is a bug when forcing antialiasing. Disable it and insta fix. Re enable Aa once patch hits with official support. My 7970 is fine with tor.

Anti-aliasing is disabled in the Catalyst Control Center.

+1

dunno

Well, probably about 600,000 was from when Slicing was overpowered. The rest (and I'm back up to 300,000) is just from completing quests and doing warzones. I was a few levels overleveled when I turned 50 so I went back and finished Corellia which I had barely started upon dinging 50. You gain extra credits instead of experience when you ding 50 so that's just extra credits coming in. I still have to finish the Voss and Hoth bonus series, and I'll have completed every quest that I've come across in the game (aside from Heroic quests). My crew skills are all 400 and honestly, I haven't touched them in a week. Like I said before, once you're 50 and have max inventory upgrades and your speeder, there really isn't much else to purchase. You can get amazing mods from Ilum and Belsavis dailies that are better than the crafted ones for only eight commendations each, which you can get at least that many per day. Kind of irritates me that anything crafted is replaced very soon after hitting 50, which is why I've basically stopped doing crew skills.

All that and I am still not Dark 5. I have also only done about five or six flashpoints as well though, so that may be why.

It is the best answer, were you looking for some get rich quick scheme? You dont need to buy anything in this gane. Between pvp rewards, commendations, social points, and questing everything is given to you pretty much on a silver platter.

If you must lvl your crew skills make sure to sell your excess on the market and dont go crazy early on trying to get epic level schematics until you know there is a market for a particular item or you have enough credit reserves built up.

It's amazing how two 7970s don't even max frame for me in Dromund Kaas. When I am outdoor I get around 60-70 FPS when it's raining with full foliage. When I am indoors I am maxed at 111.1 FPS. I just don't get it. Is 2560x1600 in crossfire not acceptable? I do play with forced 4XAA and 4XANIS. Everything maxed. I just don't know what to do. I even reformatted to see if that will fix this. But it's not stuttering like it was on my HD 5970. I had to turn shadows off to fix that. Or it could be a video memory being all used up. Nothng is overclocked too, everything is at auto and the temps are good even after I repalced the TIM.

So you are saying that 60 to 70 is not enough fps? I'm not sure why you would even want more except to brag about or something. Does the game hitch or lag due to the video for you? I am running a single 6970 and I get roughly your fps at 1080, except there are weird area's within the game where the fps just drops to the 20's for some reason I cannot explain...

My server says "standard" most of the time now, and will dip into "light" in the off-hours. The truth is, it is a very low-pop "light" server. The threshold for "standard" is set low and is not a good indication. You make it sound like I had some sort of way to determine who was going where. I assume you played WoW or some other MMO recently to know where the high-end PVP'ers were going? I did not. I went with what the game told me and got burned.

Always check the official forums and see whos going wear and playing on what server. Even playing with the [H]ard guys would of netted you a better server it sounds like. I happen to know a lot of the big name pvp guilds from playing with them or against them since DAOC so I knew which server to play on. Sometimes the people you meet in mmo's can be gaming friends you keep throughout many new games the come out.

I do agree that they need to let people do server transfers though, That was a cool thing that they did with Rift which really helped out. The low pop servers they made me Demo account servers so people doing a 10 day trial played there.

So you are saying that 60 to 70 is not enough fps? I'm not sure why you would even want more except to brag about or something. Does the game hitch or lag due to the video for you? I am running a single 6970 and I get roughly your fps at 1080, except there are weird area's within the game where the fps just drops to the 20's for some reason I cannot explain...

It's a smoothness transition. Like it's really smooth and fluid and then the character is starts to get jumpy. The frames are erratic and not consistant at Dromund Kaas. ilum and the rest are fine FPSwise, It's just Dromund Kaas is offering the most inconsistant FPS when everything is at high.

Back