Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Its for the patch. They bring down the servers to apply the patch.

It's for maintenence. They didn't patch the servers last night. As of this morning the version number is unchanged, no downloads happened, etc.

They cancelled the 1.02d hotfix today. There wasn't a maintenance today.

The big patch aka 1.1 will hit first the test server, then they will put it live. It will enable antialiasing fix some stuff and add lev 50 FP.

Also, on Dev notice forums, it's explained that the guild bank and guild perk system will be alive and kicking long before April.

Oh yeah, another update on my friend's computer before I forget:
i5 2500k
HD6950
16 gigs ram

Wiped his harddrive and reinstalled windows etc.
Low FPS problem still persists.

i5 2500k
HD6950
16 gigs ram

I assume you have no FPS problem. Can you take you video card and test it in his system? That will either confirm it's a video card/driver problem, or point to something else in his system.

i5 2500k
HD6950
16 gigs ram

Very strange. Has he tried switching any components to see if he can pinpoint if it is a system component and not a software issue? I've never had any FPS issues with the game maxed out. You'd think a fresh format and install of the newest ATI drivers would remedy any potential problems. At that point, you have to start thinking less about a software related issue, and maybe something with a piece of his hardware. Has he tried other games to see if the problem is apparent in them as well, or is it just specifically limited to TOR?

i5 2500k
HD6950
16 gigs ram

I think its the resolution, ran it 13x7 on my laptop and got insanely bad performance, this is with everything on its lowest setting and shadows OFF.

If anyone else runs this game at 13x7 resolution can you comment if you are getting suspect performance?

So when exactly do you unlock the Legacy last name stuff? I'm currently like lvl 20 and I have my ship. How long is act 1?

Heh on a funny note, I've always used the name Gokuu in my games for various reasons, one being Goku is a super badass and I like picking gnomes.

In EQ you can change your last name, you just had to wait maybe an hour after each change to change it again. So I log into EQ to do a fairly serious raid, not only does 90% of the raid have "Ihategokuu" as their last name but so does a majority of the competing guild for the raid target.

I have a screen shot somewhere, but it was pretty fucking funny to see probably 60 people with "Ihategokuu" (my name) all in one place. So now I use it out of respect!

I think its the resolution, ran it 13x7 on my laptop and got insanely bad performance, this is with everything on its lowest setting and shadows OFF.

If anyone else runs this game at 13x7 resolution can you comment if you are getting suspect performance?

I ruled out software when I reformatted; I installed all of his drivers etc. I was thinking about bringing over my 6990 to try and see if that would fix it but Trimlock does bring up a decent point. I remember reading somewhere the 13x7 wasnt a supported resolution. At the time I dismissed this idea because I thought I was crazy... I will drop by my house to pick up a spare monitor and see if that will solve his problem.. updates tonight.

edit: I think I read the resolution issue on the widescreen gaming forum.

Last edited:
The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1398252#edit1398252

So

Operations, legacy, and end-game gear/mods unfinished

edit: and pvp.. we need a TDM style map and the ability to not have to play fucking huttball 80% of the time

I ruled out software when I reformatted; I installed all of his drivers etc. I was thinking about bringing over my 6990 to try and see if that would fix it but Trimlock does bring up a decent point. I remember reading somewhere the 13x7 wasnt a supported resolution. At the time I dismissed this idea because I thought I was crazy... I will drop by my house to pick up a spare monitor and see if that will solve his problem.. updates tonight.

edit: I think I read the resolution issue on the widescreen gaming forum.

Update: I had him switch from the TV over to a spare monitor he had laying around. The resolution was 1440x900. This did not fix the problem. I will try using my 6990 later today and will post updates then.

Update: I had him switch from the TV over to a spare monitor he had laying around. The resolution was 1440x900. This did not fix the problem. I will try using my 6990 later today and will post updates then.

Or if it is hardware just do a simple 3dmark test or any basic graphics test. Hell a dvd player that enforcing hardware encoding would stress that card enough I would think.

If it is hardware it is going to be able to say like "oh I will run Farcry at 100 fps, but I dont want to run TOR at more than 5" Hardware doesn't do that.

Or if it is hardware just do a simple 3dmark test or any basic graphics test. Hell a dvd player that enforcing hardware encoding would stress that card enough I would think.

If it is hardware it is going to be able to say like "oh I will run Farcry at 100 fps, but I dont want to run TOR at more than 5" Hardware doesn't do that.

well he can run skyrim and bf3 maxed minus AA at 40+ fps. I don't understand why TOR is being such a pain for him.

well he can run skyrim and bf3 maxed minus AA at 40+ fps. I don't understand why TOR is being such a pain for him.

Then is something driver related/game code - hardware compatibility.

I think Nvidia users are having an awful time as well running the game on certain GTX cards. Try a preview driver from Guru3D.

Let me know the results.

I think Nvidia users are having an awful time as well running the game on certain GTX cards. Try a preview driver from Guru3D.

Let me know the results.

I'll check this out after work. I will bring my 6990 over just to check that as well. Updates around 5PM PST

Let me know the results.

The only issue I have is with the performance occasionally going into the toilet. Alt-tabbing out and back into the game fixes it everytime. I typically won't experience another problem with that for several hours.

I'll check this out after work. I will bring my 6990 over just to check that as well. Updates around 5PM PST

Have him download futuremark just to see if his results are inline with others.

But if you can run things at max that would be a better test then synthetic stuff.

I had a similar issue with WoW back in my noob days. I got BSOD relating to the display driver all the time.

I think I must have had 3 RMAs because I was going to send the card back, then I didn't and then I was going to again. All benchmarks and other games checked out.

It was due to me having Dual Core Optimizations checked under the driver setting. When I downloaded a CPU patch and eventually a driver update the issue went away.

The only issue I have is with the performance occasionally going into the toilet. Alt-tabbing out and back into the game fixes it everytime. I typically won't experience another problem with that for several hours.

I get shit on when I go back to Republic Fleet or Imperial Fleet. I am on wireless so that could be my issue. The only odd thing is it completely craps out.

Like I can be by the cantina and get like 4 FPS and then I can be somewhere else and get like 50 FPS at max details.

Then I can be in a group and get 50 fps continuous.

The game engine isn't the best or at least it hasn't been optimized on the scale of WoW.

WoW did a hell of a job with graphical inflation.

That game still tears apart some hardcore hardware today and looks way better than it did at release, but has the engine support to run on the shittiest of PCs.

I ran WoW at what it seems like max details through:

Ti4600 (best card I owned)
9800 Pro
6800 GT

I get shit on when I go back to Republic Fleet or Imperial Fleet. I am on wireless so that could be my issue. The only odd thing is it completely craps out.

Like I can be by the cantina and get like 4 FPS and then I can be somewhere else and get like 50 FPS at max details.

Then I can be in a group and get 50 fps continuous.

The game engine isn't the best or at least it hasn't been optimized on the scale of WoW.

WoW did a hell of a job with graphical inflation.

That game still tears apart some hardcore hardware today and looks way better than it did at release, but has the engine support to run on the shittiest of PCs.

I ran WoW at what it seems like max details through:

Ti4600 (best card I owned)
9800 Pro
6800 GT

Well aside from those occasional performance drops the game runs great everywhere else.

Im running 2 Nvidia 480's in Portrait Mode and have yet to have any crash or issue. Unfortunately im traveling again for work and I am stuck on my MX11 Rev 1 :( .

Well aside from those occasional performance drops the game runs great everywhere else.

And for fairness sakes WoW did the same thing in Org, but it was gradual. Like it still maintained 20 FPS.

Maybe it is time to upgrade although with the house being maintained and the fact that my brother is moving I haven't had time to score some shit from Intel.

And for fairness sakes WoW did the same thing in Org, but it was gradual. Like it still maintained 20 FPS.

Maybe it is time to upgrade although with the house being maintained and the fact that my brother is moving I haven't had time to score some shit from Intel.

What I mean is that the performance drops for no reason, and alt-tabbing out and back into the game resolves it for me. I know one other GTX 580 owner who has that problem too. He's got a single GPU and I've got two. Otherwise, smooth all the time, everywhere, regardless of what's going on.

What I mean is that the performance drops for no reason, and alt-tabbing out and back into the game resolves it for me. I know one other GTX 580 owner who has that problem too. He's got a single GPU and I've got two. Otherwise, smooth all the time, everywhere, regardless of what's going on.

my 6990 has no problems at all with this game. My only problem is that I am home for winter break and my neice and nephew are staying with my parents (They sleep in the computer room and their bedtime is 9:30...).

so minor update: alt+tab provides a little bit of an fps boost (maybe, I don't know how much I trust my friend for reliability on this.) he said he was at around 30 after alt tabbing, instead of the 20 he's usually at.

I have stopped playing lvl 32 Assassin, questing is so much fun in this game to bad it cannot makeup for the shortfalls.

1. For the love of God fix the UI, open up the API.
2. Please figure out a way to fix the combat delay PVE it is not so much an issue, for pvp it's a deal breaker.

Hopefully they fix these issue's in the foreseeable future.

I have stopped playing lvl 32 Assassin, questing is so much fun in this game to bad it cannot makeup for the shortfalls.

1. For the love of God fix the UI, open up the API.
2. Please figure out a way to fix the combat delay PVE it is not so much an issue, for pvp it's a deal breaker.

Hopefully they fix these issue's in the foreseeable future.

What combat delay? I know there are animations that continue even when you hit another attack / power, but apparently they still continue to work properly unless it's something that can be interrupted by something else. For the Sith Warrior, Ravage is powerful, but you can't interrupt it. Force Choke on the other hand allows me to choke someone, and then queue up other things which execute after the choke has run it's course.

Yeah, the UI needs customization options BADLY.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. 2 action bars are plenty, and what kind of savage would like to rearrange window layouts.. /sarcasm

that being said, anyone else getting a weird glitch every so often where you can't click abilities on your action bars or menu options? I can still click mobs and loot mobs. This happened when I was healing a FP and I all my heals are on the lower action bar... hammer shot go!

I don't know what you guys are talking about. 2 action bars are plenty, and what kind of savage would like to rearrange window layouts.. /sarcasm

that being said, anyone else getting a weird glitch every so often where you can't click abilities on your action bars or menu options? I can still click mobs and loot mobs. This happened when I was healing a FP and I all my heals are on the lower action bar... hammer shot go!

You actually get 4 bars if you enable the left and right ones. It's in the user interface menu I believe.

And what the hell is an "FP?" All the MMO acronyms are really starting to piss me off. I guess I'm not hardcore enough to have learned all of them. It seems like I'm always seeing new acronyms as well. :mad: I've tried lots of MMOs but this one, Age of Conan and Guild Wars were the only ones I played very much of and I still only got one character to level 17 or so in Guild Wars and level 55 in Age of Conan before I gave up on both games. Guild Wars because I got bored and Age of Conan because of all the bugs and the lack of content at higher levels. I've probably got more time in on The Old Republic than I do both those games combined.

What combat delay? I know there are animations that continue even when you hit another attack / power, but apparently they still continue to work properly unless it's something that can be interrupted by something else. For the Sith Warrior, Ravage is powerful, but you can't interrupt it. Force Choke on the other hand allows me to choke someone, and then queue up other things which execute after the choke has run it's course.

Main thread discussing the ability delay issues.

Thread 2 -- Page 123 -- Georg Zoeller

"This issue is under active investigation.

The complication is that there are actually a number of different issues with very different causes and potential resolutions lumped together in this thread.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness'."

Georg "Observer" Zoeller
Principal Lead Combat Designer

It's a huge problem and they are aware of it. If you do not notice any issue's with the responsiveness of combat or ability delay I do not know what to tell you.

Main thread discussing the ability delay issues.

It's a huge problem and they are aware of it. If you do not notice any issue's with the responsiveness of combat or ability delay I do not know what to tell you.

Yeah, I saw this video, but it only really showed an example of WoW and said you couldn't do it in SWTOR. To be honest I'm not sure I totally understand what everyone is getting at. The game isn't WoW. I also don't really have a problem doing things in SWTOR. Maybe if I were to use a different class, I might notice it. So far with the Warrior and Jedi Knight, or even the Smiggler I haven't seen it. It is also my understanding, that excluding the example I gave where an action can't be buffered at all by design, because something else interrupts it, there is a disconnect between animations and actual abilities which is what I said earlier. I don't know how much of it is animations and actions not syncing or what. But I've never really noticed it while playing other than, with the afore mentioned force choke example. In that case, it's not an ability delay, but a delay in animation because it does in fact advance to the next ability. At least, near as I can tell.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw this video, but it only really showed an example of WoW and said you couldn't do it in SWTOR. To be honest I'm not sure I totally understand what everyone is getting at. The game isn't WoW. I also don't really have a problem doing things in SWTOR. Maybe if I were to use a different class, I might notice it. So far with the Warrior and Jedi Knight, or even the Smiggler I haven't seen it. It is also my understanding, that excluding the example I gave where an action can't be buffered at all by design, because something else interrupts it, there is a disconnect between animations and actual abilities which is what I said earlier. I don't know how much of it is animations and actions not syncing or what. But I've never really noticed it while playing other than, with the afore mentioned force choke example. In that case, it's not an ability delay, but a delay in animation because it does in fact advance to the next ability. At least, near as I can tell.

You haven't played a smuggler hard enough then

I see it daily.

The worst is when abilities just fail to launch. Nothing happens, and the cool down kicks in. Bullshit.

edit: and no, it doesn't advance to the next ability.

You haven't played a smuggler hard enough then

I see it daily.

The worst is when abilities just fail to launch. Nothing happens, and the cool down kicks in. Bullshit.

I'm level 20. Not sure if that's "hard enough" or not. The only time I've seen that is when the enemy dies before the ability finishes.

Control + U resets the UI when this happens. Toggle it twice. A little trick from beta.

I've run into cooldown weirdness on my operative too. Got a 30 ping to the servers so its not that. Hell last night I died in huttball, and was spamming something so fast I reappeared in the center of the map with full health, and just continued on. Couldnt repeat it but wtf.

I'm level 20. Not sure if that's "hard enough" or not. The only time I've seen that is when the enemy dies before the ability finishes.

Level 50 with nearly 30 valor levels

When you get to that point, and if it is not fixed by then, you'll notice it.

Level 50 with nearly 30 valor levels

When you get to that point, and if it is not fixed by then, you'll notice it.

the skill thats annoying for warriors is Ravage, it will triggor the animation ad lock you in place for the duration but not actually use the ability so you are a sitting duck until its over lol.

my marauder is lvl 50 valor 54 atm

ive been dealing with that bug since early beta

just curious. How is the damage on smash/force sweep at high levels, because I'm thinking about making a jedi guardian or a sith warrior around it as a gimmick :)

Back