Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Are you doing any crew skill stuff? How much PVP have you done?

I have not touched pvp. I have been doing crew skill stuff but you can do all of that while you are playing with no downtime. I have the non-combat companion doing stuff almost all of the time, and my main companion doing stuff when i am turning in a series of quests or running a long ass way. I have not run into the 3rd companion where ever that is.

I'm liking it, have a few problems with it though. The queue times are really bad, whats going to happen when the game actually releases on the 20th?

Man, the queues are a major bummer again.

I will say this... If you are on the fence about this game, just get it.

I had negative expectations going in, and now I cna't get enough. I don't know what it is, but this game has it. I think it might be the faster pace. It feels more like an action RPG than a typical MMO. I love it. There are no real single mob pulls, even when you are soloing. Every fight feels like a little mini-battle.

I love that there are like 5 different "levels" of mobs within the same level. There are complete trash, semi-trash, normal, tougher, elite, and boss. Something like that. It feels a lot more action packed with 1 tough mob and two complete trash or one normal and one tougher, etc. Every fight isn't the exact same thing as if you were grinding in other MMOs.

Anyoen found a good site showing map locations of the datacrons? I don't get why most sites just list the x/y locations instead of visually showing a map with them marked, would be 10X easier then saying "x/Y" location, this isn't bloody eq anymore.

Trying to get the red one on Tarius, and the location is somehow behind a huge wall, which I See no way around.

Anyoen found a good site showing map locations of the datacrons? I don't get why most sites just list the x/y locations instead of visually showing a map with them marked, would be 10X easier then saying "x/Y" location, this isn't bloody eq anymore.

Trying to get the red one on Tarius, and the location is somehow behind a huge wall, which I See no way around.

There are a few good videos on YouTube. They show you how to get them too.

I'm on the fence, based on the queue times & garbage customer service that I keep reading about... oh and the fact that I studied "computer programming & systems analysis and design" and the rollout just looks like epic fail. One interesting conspiracy theory comment was that Bioware is forcing people to reroll on different servers because people are hitting cap to quickly ~ level 35 in a matter of days, before the game is even open to the public; one way of preventing people from reviewing the game / endgame content.

SydneyFault compares devs to Jar Jar Binks:

"there is no reason for a 5 hour cue time..... except complete incompetence. you should have room for the 2.5 million people that you knew where signed up for the game months ago. For you to even give us any other reason that you completely fumbled is nothing but insulting. At least have the common decency to admit to the community that your not prepared. Potentially game ending mistakes like this are unforgivable.

YOU HAVE 3 DAYS TILL FULL LAUNCH.... AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE ROOM FOR THE PEOPLE YOU INVITED TO EARLY ACCESS.

BEYOND EPIC FAIL... THE DEVS ARE THE QUICKLY BECOMING THE NEW JAR JAR BINKS OF THE STAR WAS UNIVERSE.." :

http://imageshack.us/f/820/sidneyfault.jpg/

I'm on the fence, based on the queue times & garbage customer service that I keep reading about... oh and the fact that I studied "computer programming & systems analysis and design" and the rollout just looks like epic fail. One interesting conspiracy theory comment was that Bioware is forcing people to reroll on different servers because people are hitting cap to quickly ~ level 35 in a matter of days, before the game is even open to the public; one way of preventing people from reviewing the game / endgame content.

SydneyFault compares devs to Jar Jar Binks:

"there is no reason for a 5 hour cue time..... except complete incompetence. you should have room for the 2.5 million people that you knew where signed up for the game months ago. For you to even give us any other reason that you completely fumbled is nothing but insulting. At least have the common decency to admit to the community that your not prepared. Potentially game ending mistakes like this are unforgivable.

YOU HAVE 3 DAYS TILL FULL LAUNCH.... AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE ROOM FOR THE PEOPLE YOU INVITED TO EARLY ACCESS.

BEYOND EPIC FAIL... THE DEVS ARE THE QUICKLY BECOMING THE NEW JAR JAR BINKS OF THE STAR WAS UNIVERSE.." :

http://imageshack.us/f/820/sidneyfault.jpg/

So just a couple notes...

1) WoW is lauded as the gold standard of MMOs, and it had as bad or worse issues with queuing when it was first launched. It's hardly a unique situation, and as bad as queuing is, it beats the pants off unplayably horrific lag or server crashes due to overloading.

2) These days, unless the leveling curve is unbelievably brutal, there will be people who play 24/7 and hit cap in less than a week. That's part and parcel of a new MMO launch: someone's got to be "first" and they will skip eating, sleeping, school, and work to do it. The devs can't worry about those outliers, and work on balancing the game for the broadest expected demographic.

Time will tell whether or not the number of servers is far below what they actually need. The massive influx of players all at once (on similar time zones) making new characters and trying to log in puts an outrageous amount of stress on the login servers that won't persist for long after launch. They probably made a longer-term decision on server sizing that is proving insufficient at the moment, though my understanding is everything is fine once people actually get logged in (so it's only lobby/login servers that are overloaded).

So sure, for the next couple weeks there will be login queues and people will be annoyed, then people will get spaced out amongst servers and login patterns will normalize. At that point, there should be little to no queuing except on the busiest servers at peak hours, and that's when BioWare can start tuning things for long term stability.

since i've gotten the game on thursday, I've literally never had to wait in a queue. I don't know if it's just my guild's server, or what. But I've gone straight to my game as soon as I launched it.

can't wait to build my gaming rig next month, this will surely pop it's cherry

It's not a high demanding game at all. I get 75+ FPS with all settings maxed and forced AA with a GTX 560 Ti when looking off into the distance. If I'm in a cutscene or cantina, it gets up to 90+.

It's not a high demanding game at all. I get 75+ FPS with all settings maxed and forced AA with a GTX 560 Ti when looking off into the distance. If I'm in a cutscene or cantina, it gets up to 90+.

yeah but what resolution do u use ?

With my 5870 at 1920x1200, everything high, shadows off (I hate them in this game) and AA/AF forced up in drivers, I get 60-90 depending on where I am.

le sigh
Capture.png

Aside from the queue times it's a solid game, if they fix them I'll pick up a copy.

Last edited:
Believe me, if I could run this game on my current 939 x2 4200 and 6670, I'd be playing instead of posting this right now :p

Yeah I notice my q6600 and 8800gt aren't optimal at 1920x1080. It's not that performance is really bad, it's just not as smooth as I'd like.

So just a couple notes...

1) WoW is lauded as the gold standard of MMOs, and it had as bad or worse issues with queuing when it was first launched. It's hardly a unique situation, and as bad as queuing is, it beats the pants off unplayably horrific lag or server crashes due to overloading.

2) These days, unless the leveling curve is unbelievably brutal, there will be people who play 24/7 and hit cap in less than a week. That's part and parcel of a new MMO launch: someone's got to be "first" and they will skip eating, sleeping, school, and work to do it. The devs can't worry about those outliers, and work on balancing the game for the broadest expected demographic.

Time will tell whether or not the number of servers is far below what they actually need. The massive influx of players all at once (on similar time zones) making new characters and trying to log in puts an outrageous amount of stress on the login servers that won't persist for long after launch. They probably made a longer-term decision on server sizing that is proving insufficient at the moment, though my understanding is everything is fine once people actually get logged in (so it's only lobby/login servers that are overloaded).

So sure, for the next couple weeks there will be login queues and people will be annoyed, then people will get spaced out amongst servers and login patterns will normalize. At that point, there should be little to no queuing except on the busiest servers at peak hours, and that's when BioWare can start tuning things for long term stability.

Very solid points. Everyone holds WoW up but yet the memory of its launch is just completely forgotten. Lots of server crashes , overpopulated servers , tons of patches and serious day 1 class balancing issues. It took at least a year if not more for WoW to iron out and fix many of those issues. There have been far worse MMO launches and the complaints being issues so far are pretty small and will be addressed soon.

This is how MMO's go at launch. Its always been this way , the best way to play MMO's if you are interested in them is to wait for a few months to pass after it releases.

I just ordered from Origin and I haven't gotten a confirmation email yet. Hmm wonder if something got messed up.

With my 5870 at 1920x1200, everything high, shadows off (I hate them in this game) and AA/AF forced up in drivers, I get 60-90 depending on where I am.

It runs well on my 470s @ 5760x1080 with all settings on high... Seems to need gpu power more then vmem... Cards run @ 99% but not much mem load.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=42699&page=39

Hinzir says:

http://www.buffed.de/buffedde-Brand...nterviews-mit-den-Bioware-Entwicklern-858928/

"this is the interview with James Ohlen (Lead Designer) and Rich Vogel (Executive Producer) . You can watch this interview and see what they said . You can directly jump to minute 19 and hear Rich Vogels words. He mentioned about stress test and 80.000-100.000 players per server on stress test and also he mentioned about they did a succesfull test with 200.000 bots on one server.

After listening this , after i waited 1200 ppl queue at 1 pm CET on Tomb of Freddon Nadd server i checked everyone with "who" window. I write 1, 2 ,3 ..... ,50 to who window. Checked every level without exception.And you know this system never shows more than 100 players . Only level 10,11, 12 players had more than 100 players. .And total of all other levels players was around 1100-1200. With this information we can say that even if there is a 300 players for each 10,11,12 players server limits at the moment is 2000 (2500 max ). Either biowere telling only lies to us even with new official announcement. Or they failed so badly to serv only 2000 players per server. I think after all those test , this server limits can not be that low, i dont want to believe. I hope we can get answer about this."

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/hinzir.jpg/

Very solid points. Everyone holds WoW up but yet the memory of its launch is just completely forgotten. Lots of server crashes , overpopulated servers , tons of patches and serious day 1 class balancing issues. It took at least a year if not more for WoW to iron out and fix many of those issues. There have been far worse MMO launches and the complaints being issues so far are pretty small and will be addressed soon.

This is how MMO's go at launch. Its always been this way , the best way to play MMO's if you are interested in them is to wait for a few months to pass after it releases.

Yeah. Dude, don't forget about the rollbacks... omg. No one seems to remember to mention these, but they were the worst. I'd be questing and server would crash. I'd log back on and I'd be where I was an hour ago, with that much exp/gold/loot lost.

Swtor isn't even out yet and it's extremely smooth.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=42699&page=39

Hinzir says:

http://www.buffed.de/buffedde-Brand...nterviews-mit-den-Bioware-Entwicklern-858928/

"this is the interview with James Ohlen (Lead Designer) and Rich Vogel (Executive Producer) . You can watch this interview and see what they said . You can directly jump to minute 19 and hear Rich Vogels words. He mentioned about stress test and 80.000-100.000 players per server on stress test and also he mentioned about they did a succesfull test with 200.000 bots on one server.

After listening this , after i waited 1200 ppl queue at 1 pm CET on Tomb of Freddon Nadd server i checked everyone with "who" window. I write 1, 2 ,3 ..... ,50 to who window. Checked every level without exception.And you know this system never shows more than 100 players . Only level 10,11, 12 players had more than 100 players. .And total of all other levels players was around 1100-1200. With this information we can say that even if there is a 300 players for each 10,11,12 players server limits at the moment is 2000 (2500 max ). Either biowere telling only lies to us even with new official announcement. Or they failed so badly to serv only 2000 players per server. I think after all those test , this server limits can not be that low, i dont want to believe. I hope we can get answer about this."

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/hinzir.jpg/

You must be new to MMO's. No, it's not some grand conspiracy. Queues at this stage are perfectly normal. All MMO's of this size population have them.
A standard per server population for most MMO's playing simultaneously is about 2500 players. He did NOT say 100,000 per server. He said in the beta. 200,000 bots is in the game, not per server. They populated their game servers with them to test for launch. Plural. To see if their systems could handle that many at once at launch. There is more to a MMO than just one server. It's all about the datacenters and the total load and bandwidth it can all handle.

If you let too many people in at once you crowd the starting zones and then no one can kill or do what they need to do as there are so many players working on the same things.
If you open up too many servers at once you spread the population out quite a bit. When things settle down and you have the usual people that leave in their first 30 days all those servers start to feel empty. Also you can play in the early access if you pre-ordered, even if you have since cancelled that pre-order. So you may have a lot of people on now that won't be there after launch as a result.

They have been opening new servers every day. Slowly. And as needed.

WoW had queues with every expansion. When you got in that one zone was so crowded you couldn't do anything. I'd go days without being able to play at all. At least with Star Wars I can queue up for 25 minutes and still play. During the day when I play alot there are no queues.
Many people are starting their vacations now, the game is highly anticipated so people are hitting it hard. More servers are being added, the queues will subside. It's all the same as any other MMO.

Last edited:
Smooth launch? I've read 200 forum pages about FPS issues with ATI cards, crappy customer service and long, ever growing queue times, guild-server mismanagement and general server mismanagement.

One guy lost half his guild yesterday ( 60 people -> 30 people ) because they cancelled their pre-orders, based on the queue times.

I don't really care about references to WoW; I came away from WoW thinking, "This game is for bored housewives and children". That's after destroying in PVP as a Druid ( up to level 36 ) for Alliance... 6 years ago or something with mostly basic green gear, some blue and one purple.

My benchmarks for MMORPGs are still the text based games that I played 16 years ago: Medievia version 3.x and Necromium ( which I helped beta test ):

http://www.medievia.com/

http://www.necromium.com/

Both Medievia and Necromium had CPK zones ( chaotic player killing ) ; if you were killed in combat by an opposing player, they could steal up to 3 items from you. Both of those MUDS had "tweak code" ie. mob gear drops were randomized, usually average, sometimes worse, sometimes better. The player base was mostly made up of college, university students & programmer / hackers.

Out of the 10 or so guilds on Necromium, only 2 guilds could even run the Sahuagin CPK zone, which had the best loot in the game. I remember one time dying in the Sahuagin zone to an NPC mob and because I was carrying a light source the effing Sahuagin stole some of my gear, so I had to go back in with my guild to wipe out every Sahuagin, to get my clothes back ( LOL ).

If WoW is your benchmark then you have very low standards. It's sad that customers accept garbage games and customer support.

I read on Wiki that Bioware was acquired by EA in 2007 / 2008:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare

A few people who work in IT pointed out that if they created any kind of queue times in their software jobs, they would be fired.

Queue times are fine in free/ micro transaction games like League of Legends but I don't plan on paying to queue up for hours at a time, just to play SWTOR. It's not viable for people with full time jobs.

Pblogic says:

"I think that being bought/selling to/merging with EA was the worst idea ever. They have a track record for awful customer service and it shows in this launch, whether they are directly managing you, or it's just their influence Bioware has now lost a huge amount of credibility with the EA association. I no longer respect you as a developer, I see you guys as the tools of a mega-corporation. It's really sad. And to address the comment of the dude that keeps talking about new MMO's -- yes I've played many new MMO's at/before launch and this one's queues have been the worst by far. I to have a limited amount of time to play ---- I am not one of these MMO freaks that can spend 80 hours a week playing. I have a job and a real life and I'd like to be able to jump on and play. You're mismanagement of this process ensures that I never actually get to play....It's not a stretch to me to believe that is exactly what EA intends... thousands of people paying for something they can't use. Why invest in managing this correctly when you have a bunch of people that will just pay you for weeks on end for something they will never actually get or use... your affiliation with EA has destroyed your credibility."

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/pblogic.jpg/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=42699&page=76

Oh and I'm still waiting for a reply to the last comment that I posted; if Rich Vogels is saying that servers were stress tested to be able to handle 80 - 100 k players per server and that they did a successful test with 200 k players on a server, WTF IS GOING ON WITH BIOWARE's SERVERS?

Hit the play button dude:

Because that's not what he said, listen again. Not per server. He never said per server. He just said in the game. Standard MMO's servers can not handle 100k people at once and never could. They typically have 2500 people on a server at once. They tested their game systems. All their servers, their datacenter, everything involved in an MMO, "The Game" means a lot more than a server.

MMO's and text based games are completely, utterly, worlds apart and have nothing to do with one another. No one gives a crap about some text based game you played.

Queues are fine at this stage. As I said before, if you open up too many servers at once they will later have lower populations due to the standard ebb and flow of populations. They are doing everything they can to control the flood gates.
Not everyone who pre-ordered kept their pre-order and those people are playing now with no intention of buying the game.
Starting out people crowd noobie areas. You let too many people in and you can't kill what you need to kill as it's being camped.
They are controlling the flood of people exactly as they should. I've been in a lot of MMO's, i've seen many launches. I've seen what happens when you don't do queues and when you open too many servers at once.
People complain about things they don't understand. People complain when they feel entitled. People complain when they aren't in early access soon enough. They complain when there's queues as a result. You just can't win.

People are just too damn whiny. Just settle down and quit being so damn paranoid.

Last edited:
People are just too damn whiny.
25188265.png

I'm one of those whiny people. I downloaded a 10MB patch this morning. It screwed up, but apparently decided to try and install itself anyway, ruining my Main Assets 1. So, instead of playing, this is what I get to stare at for the next several hours.

Last edited:
SWTOR should take a clue from Rift and open a ton of servers, let people level up, then give free transfers to redistribute the population. If they want to charge for transfers like WoW does then just make the free transfers available for a limited amount of time.

SWTOR should take a clue from Rift and open a ton of servers, let people level up, then give free transfers to redistribute the population. If they want to charge for transfers like WoW does then just make the free transfers available for a limited amount of time.

And then watch the servers empty out and have low populations? Rift did work fast to eliminate queues but they overreacted and now have low population servers. It's all about balance.
However I would like to see Bioware offer free server transfers but not open new servers too quickly.

I got in friday and was able to play without any trouble, really. It's been stable, and I haven't had to wait in any queues. The game downloaded fine on the first try. I'm getting ~40FPS in the loaded areas and 110 in the smaller ones at 1920x1200 with max settings on a 6970.

amshok_banner-3.jpg

Only level 16 so far, but I got my ship and I'm loving the game. I've done a couple of space combat missions, and I really enjoyed them.

I got in friday and was able to play without any trouble, really.

amshok_banner-3.jpg

Only level 16 so far, but I got my ship and I'm loving the game. I've done a couple of space combat missions, and I really enjoyed them.

That's the same class I went for. I haven't had time to play it much. I finally got in about 5AM this morning. I only played an hour before finally going to sleep.

Smooth launch? I've read 200 forum pages about FPS issues with ATI cards, crappy customer service and long, ever growing queue times, guild-server mismanagement and general server mismanagement.

One guy lost half his guild yesterday ( 60 people -> 30 people ) because they cancelled their pre-orders, based on the queue times.

Then that guild just shed 30 idiots. Que times are normal for MMO launches , its a fact of there existence. I've never played an MMO at launch that didn't have some kind of que to deal with.

Again , no one remembers the launch of other major MMO's and how similar the issues were. The smoothest launch I've ever experienced was Rift , really nothing there went crazy. You want some examples of a horrible MMO launch look at the latest FF online game , that game was such a mess you didn't even have inventory bags.

If you seriously can't wait a few weeks to a month for que times to lesson then perhaps MMO's in general aren't for you. At least Bioware was up front with knowing and publicly admitting that they will have overcrowding issues at launch , part of the reason why they didn't ship as many copies as they wanted to. Blizzard certainly didn't do this , they sold as many as possible and told users on there own forum to basically "Deal with it" while they spent the better part of a year fixing issues and painfully , slowly adding servers.

Seems gamers have selective amnesia whenever a MMO launches.

Last edited:
First server I made a trooper and everyone I saw in that server was a trooper.

Second Server(decided to play on a west server) I made a inquis and everyone around me was an inquis,

I seem to pick the most played class without even knowing.

First server I made a trooper and everyone I saw in that server was a trooper.

Second Server(decided to play on a west server) I made a inquis and everyone around me was an inquis,

I seem to pick the most played class without even knowing.

lol, you do know that the starting area is dependent on your class type and such?

Troopers on Orb, Jedi on tython, etc.

Back