Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Looks like Beta Cake just got killed/removed... wonder if it was EA or just a maintenance thing.

Will they have it to where you can actually put a bounty on someone and hunt them down? If not, they whats the point of having a bounty hunter class?

I'm sure the storyline for the BH will have plenty of quests involving hunting individuals down and taking them out :)

I would not be surprised if EA threatened legal action and they pulled the plug.

Hope so... beta leaks suck, in my opinion. They typically give an inaccurate, opinionated picture based on a person who doesn't care to regard an agreement they made and is providing their own opinion on an unfinished game that has things change often and quickly (in most cases for MMORPG's). It's honestly pretty slimey of people to regard leaks like this so casually...

Hope so... beta leaks suck, in my opinion. They typically give an inaccurate, opinionated picture based on a person who doesn't care to regard an agreement they made and is providing their own opinion on an unfinished game that has things change often and quickly (in most cases for MMORPG's). It's honestly pretty slimey of people to regard leaks like this so casually...

The other side of it is I bought the game based on what I saw on that site. If it hadn't been for that site I would most likely have ignored the game and might have picked it up after it had been out for awhile. I pre-ordered it. I feel they did a better marketing job for the game than anything official.

The other side of it is I bought the game based on what I saw on that site. If it hadn't been for that site I would most likely have ignored the game and might have picked it up after it had been out for awhile. I pre-ordered it. I feel they did a better marketing job for the game than anything official.

Unfortunately, most people don't understand the concept of "pre-release product" and take the info they obtain as gospel :). Someone like you, sure, it doesn't hurt anything and only helps to know more about the game... but most gamers, I'd say it's the opposite.

Unfortunately, most people don't understand the concept of "pre-release product" and take the info they obtain as gospel :). Someone like you, sure, it doesn't hurt anything and only helps to know more about the game... but most gamers, I'd say it's the opposite.

True I'd like to think those people are just kids who will learn but that might be wishful thinking on my part :D

It's not hard to discern facts from opinions, and if you can understand what a beta is, what's possible to be in/out, etc they are decent enough to grasp what type of game it is.

I mean, getting a feel for the general combat, quest structure from beta to retail, it's not going to drastically get changed or anything.

On top of this with beta info you end up getting a lot more views and things on the game rather then simply PR PR PR PR jargon until post-release.

We used to be able to depend on demos to get a taste for games before release and to form our own opinion, not we simply have to go by info we get from developers/websites, and videos.

Super excited after watching the comic con panel.....however, is it me or does this seem more and more likely to be a success as far as an RPG but somewhat of a let down in terms of a true MMO??

Super excited after watching the comic con panel.....however, is it me or does this seem more and more likely to be a success as far as an RPG but somewhat of a let down in terms of a true MMO??

How do you mean?

Well they have spent a good amount of time talking about the 100hr single player storyline and all the voice acting and how every class has its own set of quests etc etc. It all sounds great, but it also sounds like a long rpg that happens to have other players in the world and not just npcs like ME 1/2 and DA 1/2.....but as far as the end game, pvp combat mechanics, and guild formation/incentives it just feels like there is a bit of "gray area" and also how you will now be accompanied my npc companions....
It just doesnt seem to have the makings of a long standing MMO but should make for a hell of an RPG. I would hate for it to be another RIFT. However i do believe rift to have great mmo mechanics but just not able to devour wow just yet. I still believe blizzard will cannibalize itself with D3 or titan.

I'm sure the storyline for the BH will have plenty of quests involving hunting individuals down and taking them out :)

OK, who cares about collecting a "bounty" on killing/capturing NPCs? Most people with any semblance of intelligence would much rather be doing this on players. He is obviously making a reference to SWG in which this did take place, with quite a bit of depth added to the game as a result. The bounty-hunter class does not actually do any bounty-hunting aside from quests. It's just a lame moniker to make the class sound cooler than it actually is, and to appeal to the Boba Fett fanbase.

There are PvE bounties in the game. Player and non-player bounties is moot because you're still bounty hunting.

There are PvE bounties in the game. Player and non-player bounties is moot because you're still bounty hunting.

Yeah. Player bounties just aren't a good fit for this game. There certainly aren't any Jedi in danger of getting perma-death if they get found. Who is going to place a bounty on someone just to have them sent to the nearest medcenter for a 2 minute run back to where they were? A whole PvP mechanic just for Bounty Hunters? Not very balanced. It also wouldn't play nice with phased areas.

Bounties were abused to hell and back in the two games I've played with them, SWG and EVE.

Good riddance IMHO.

No it was much more fun to grief the realplayer Jedi in SWG since they would lose a ton of xp and get really really mad at you amirite? Ya real player bounties ftw! :rolleyes:

Edit: Let me clarify....it's much much more fun to grief the lowbie padawan's in SWG since they really can't do shit to fight back vs a fully leveled BH. Ya now that IS skillfull and fun.

People are upset that 'bounty hunting' is just a re-skinned rogue archtype because of what it could mean if it were rolled out (and was rolled out in SWG) in a meaningful way.

Well they have spent a good amount of time talking about the 100hr single player storyline and all the voice acting and how every class has its own set of quests etc etc. It all sounds great, but it also sounds like a long rpg that happens to have other players in the world and not just npcs like ME 1/2 and DA 1/2.....but as far as the end game, pvp combat mechanics, and guild formation/incentives it just feels like there is a bit of "gray area" and also how you will now be accompanied my npc companions....
It just doesnt seem to have the makings of a long standing MMO but should make for a hell of an RPG. I would hate for it to be another RIFT. However i do believe rift to have great mmo mechanics but just not able to devour wow just yet. I still believe blizzard will cannibalize itself with D3 or titan.
It's being made as a themepark on rails McMMO, I don't see why you're so surprised at what they've chosen to focus on in terms of market segment, it's very Bioware/EA~esque behavior in the last few years.

And because I always end up getting PM's with "Whats McMMO mean", here's a great explanation frmo the TOR boards:

Originally Posted by Plus_One
This is something I posted in another thread that I think is relevant to this statement.

McMMO is a term derived from conversations in the past where MMOs were compared to Resaraunts.

Classic MMOs(EQ, FFXI, etc) were compared to Fine dining restaurants. Long waits for reservations, might have to wait for the table to be cleared the place to be set. Dealing with a waiter, waiting for the meal to be prepared.

But after all that waiting and toil you would then partake in one of the finest meals in your life that you will remember for a long time and tell your friends about.

Newer MMOs, WoW and most of what has come after were compared to McDonalds and it's competitors. The focus, rather than being on a rich unique experience shifted to being fast instantly gratifying assembly line cuisine. McDonald has served trillions, not through quality, but through volume.

A billion premade burgers at a price anyone can afford doesn't make them the best, just the easiest to consume while watching tv. It's the same junk we've eaten a million times, nothing new or really all that enjoyable, but it's fast and it fills the hole for a minute so we keep buying them.

I'd like to see something more like Chili's, I think the industry is ready for that. Don't have to deal with reservations, Might still have to wait a little for the meal, but the quality of experience is far greater than dropping by the taco bell drive through at 1am.

I just want to see the middle ground, we've seen the 2 extremes between the Uber Grind and the 8yr olds faceroll. If we find a good middle ground it'll still make the kids QQ and ragequit, but that's just because they'll be the ones that are wayyyy too spoiled. Player that might be willing to accept the game for what it is rather than what they think it should be will probably be mature enough to enjoy the game.

OK, who cares about collecting a "bounty" on killing/capturing NPCs? Most people with any semblance of intelligence would much rather be doing this on players. He is obviously making a reference to SWG in which this did take place, with quite a bit of depth added to the game as a result. The bounty-hunter class does not actually do any bounty-hunting aside from quests. It's just a lame moniker to make the class sound cooler than it actually is, and to appeal to the Boba Fett fanbase.

QQ more and go back to WoW then please

I believe they have stated many times that this will be a true mmo with single player elements

I pre-ordered the collection edition. Now to decide to join dark or light side.

And because I always end up getting PM's with "Whats McMMO mean", here's a great explanation frmo the TOR boards:

A decent analogy. Here is what it really boils down to Sandbox vs Themepark (SWTOR, WoW etc) http://syncaine.com/2009/01/14/the-endless-sandbox-vs-the-safe-theme-park/

Personally I love both and will play this until the ride eventually gets stale.

The major problem with a theme park is that eventually you have been on all the rides, and while repeating the best ones is fine for a time, even that beings to grow tiring. Adding more rides is possible, but customers will always ride then to boredom faster than they can be built, and if you are sticking with your theme, each ride gets boring faster than the one before it. Change the theme and you might alienate a portion of your customer base, driving them away permanently (in the theme park world, this is called Not Good Entertainment)

People are upset that 'bounty hunting' is just a re-skinned rogue archtype because of what it could mean if it were rolled out (and was rolled out in SWG) in a meaningful way.

It's being made as a themepark on rails McMMO, I don't see why you're so surprised at what they've chosen to focus on in terms of market segment, it's very Bioware/EA~esque behavior in the last few years.

You are completely correct and this has been said by many people in the beta throughout the months it has been available. This game will be a disappointment for the vast majority of players. Only those completely new to MMOs and/or easily entertained will be playing this game a year after release. I wish it weren't true, but BioWare has taken this game in the complete opposite direction I, and many other people, were hoping.

QQ more and go back to WoW then please

What does WoW have to do with any of this? I don't play WoW for the same reasons I probably wont be playing TOR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like there will be plenty of server bandwith available on launch day with all the haters and naysayers not gonna even try TOR. Works in my book, less complainers in the general chat as well to ignore

just watched the Esseles Flashpoint Walkthrough. Haven't been keeping up on this game much but this does not look impressive.

mashing 1,2,1,2,3,1,2 for combat, almost fell asleep with the dialogue. Don't understand why this thread is so big besides the game being star wars.

whats up with the dated graphics, I read this was a big budget game? plays like a star trek online game i saw

Edit: link broke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Az1Z4OXD4

Last edited:
You should read up more about this game. The art direction is what they went for, there isn't anything dated about it. Not all games are built for photorealism which is a death knell for any MMO. The graphics in the game look better than any video I've seen.

Combat at lower levels is pretty boring but gets much better when you start hitting the teens and start grouping up.

If you're not into the RPG elements of a game then SWToR won't be a fun game for you. There's countless quest dialogues, flashpoints (as seen above) have quite a bit of voice over, there are numerous ways to upgrade your armor and weapons through enhancement modules, companion romance, social points, light/dark side points... as you can see, the RPG element is huge.

The only advice that I can give to people who are on the fence is wait to see if you get in the beta and try it out.

just watched the Esseles Flashpoint Walkthrough. Haven't been keeping up on this game much but this does not look impressive.

mashing 1,2,1,2,3,1,2 for combat, almost fell asleep with the dialogue. Don't understand why this thread is so big besides the game being star wars.

Esseles being shown was run with level 9 characters. At level 9 you don't even have your advanced class. No one even has a heal yet. At level 9 it IS just mash some random DPS buttons and win, sort of. Not quite as bad as WoW, but still. If you want to compare it to its direct competitor, compare it to Ragefire Chasm.

Esseles being shown was run with level 9 characters. At level 9 you don't even have your advanced class. No one even has a heal yet. At level 9 it IS just mash some random DPS buttons and win, sort of. Not quite as bad as WoW, but still. If you want to compare it to its direct competitor, compare it to Ragefire Chasm.

Yes and I prefer to see the glass as half full. I was throughly impressed actually by that dev walk through flashpoint yesterday. For only being level 9 content I thought it looked great. Fun and well thought out for lowbie content especially. I mean what more do you people expect? This is the equivalent to doing the deadmines at around level 12 or 13 in wow when your still brand new to the game. Was that anymore or less exciting the first time through when you were a lowbie?

Yes and I prefer to see the glass as half full. I was throughly impressed actually by that dev walk through flashpoint yesterday. For only being level 9 content I thought it looked great. Fun and well thought out for lowbie content especially. I mean what more do you people expect? This is the equivalent to doing the deadmines at around level 12 or 13 in wow when your still brand new to the game. Was that anymore or less exciting the first time through when you were a lowbie?

Exactly. This is quite a bit better than the level 9 content in any other MMO I've ever played.

combat does look 'stale'...patiently waiting for some lvl 50 footage ..as far as the recent flashpoint vid, the story was fantastic !!! they nailed it which is the main reason to play THIS mmo. posted on DH:

The items that do not drop for you (or do not appear in your loot bag) from boss kills can all be bought from the commendation vendor.

To access new flashpoints you have to clear beginner ones.

There will be no pre-raid armor grind. You will enter low-level raids in the armor you finished your story in.

Loot bags can contain upgrades for weapons and armor.

SWTOR's landscapes have had a graphical overhaul.

http://darthhater.com/

combat does look 'stale'...patiently waiting for some lvl 50 footage ..as far as the recent flashpoint vid, the story was fantastic !!! they nailed it which is the main reason to play THIS mmo. posted on DH:

The items that do not drop for you (or do not appear in your loot bag) from boss kills can all be bought from the commendation vendor.

To access new flashpoints you have to clear beginner ones.

There will be no pre-raid armor grind. You will enter low-level raids in the armor you finished your story in.

Loot bags can contain upgrades for weapons and armor.

SWTOR's landscapes have had a graphical overhaul.

http://darthhater.com/

Combat looks stale because, yes, they are level 9 as you said. Everything else I had heard already but cool none the less.

Back