Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

I'll want to give it a try to see if this game is as revolutionary as EA/Bioware tout it to be,but I am skeptical. Lots of early previews say that aside from a bunch of expensive voice acting, there's not much different from WoW, and it doesn't even match up to Pre-CU/NGE Galaxies (for instance, the only "space" segments are Rail shooters, not Xwing/TieFighter inspired). I expect a lot from this title, but time will tell.

I've been following this for a couple of years now. I've always been a big PvPer and was hoping someone might have a few answers. (I do know that the rules about the beta are pretty strict in terms of giving info).

I plan on playing an Imperial Agent, I just can't decide on which AC I want to go with. I've played a combat rogue up until Field Marshal in Vanilla WoW, and also a resto druid up to a 2200 arena rating in BC. I've never been into the hunter thing.

That being said, will I have ample opportunity to decide which route I'd rather go? Healer or mid-range dps? I'm pretty indifferent right now, I just hope that I'll be able to atleast "sample" a little bit of each advanced class before having to make the big decision.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I've been on shift for over 12 hours now. Thanks for any help.

I've been following this for a couple of years now. I've always been a big PvPer and was hoping someone might have a few answers. (I do know that the rules about the beta are pretty strict in terms of giving info).

I plan on playing an Imperial Agent, I just can't decide on which AC I want to go with. I've played a combat rogue up until Field Marshal in Vanilla WoW, and also a resto druid up to a 2200 arena rating in BC. I've never been into the hunter thing.

That being said, will I have ample opportunity to decide which route I'd rather go? Healer or mid-range dps? I'm pretty indifferent right now, I just hope that I'll be able to atleast "sample" a little bit of each advanced class before having to make the big decision.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I've been on shift for over 12 hours now. Thanks for any help.

There isn't currently the ability to switch your Advanced Class, according to what the developers have said. But, most ACs have a couple of roles they can fulfill and you could respec between those.

In other words, you could not go from a Sniper DPS to an Operative Healing. But you could go between Operative DPS and Operative Healing. Operative DPS is a Close-to-Mid range DPS, rather than Mid-to-Long, though. They use some melee abilities.

Ideally your level 1 to 10 experience should give you an idea of what you want to do, but nothing's perfect. You might very well pick an advanced class and decide you don't really like it. Unless they add in AC respecs, you'll have to reroll.

TOR is definetly going to be a fun and content filled game but I have to caution anyone who isn't already aware. This game is NOT genre changing byany stretch of the imagination. Yes they have added, what they felt has been missing from the MMO experience, a heavy story driven experience but beyond that it's pretty wow like set in a HUGE star wars world(worlds). This to me is a good thing since I pretty much liked wow for years and to me a game with the polish of wow in the expansive star wars universe is a win but to some people who are bored with the genre as it is they want a revolutionary change instead of an evolutionary one. TOR is definetly an evolutionary change not revolutionary so please bear that in mind. That said, the games gonna kick ass. :)

http://betacake.blogspot.com/2011/06/star-wars-old-republic-exclusive-tester_20.html

Q. Based on what you've played so far, what is your prediction for the release date of the game?
A. October 4th.

Q. Please elaborate on why it is the "best game you've ever played."
A. Uh, a billion reasons really. I suppose I could write an essay, but the basic reasoning here is that I have a lot of games I can play and things I could be doing, but the only thing I want to do is play this game.

This game is probably the most important development in modern history.

WTF? A wow clone cash grab from the bioware buttfuckers the most important development in modern history?

"

Q. How is EXP given when multiple people attack the same mob.
Does the first one to attack "TAG" the mob for quest credit and exp?

A. Works like in WoW. You hit it first, and it’s belongs to you and your group if you’re in one."

Q. How does stealth work for the Sith Assassin? Such as, is it a % based roll off affected by your agility rating or based only on proximity to hostile targets?

A. It works like in WoW.

Last edited:
Let’s let history decide to see how SWOTOR stacks up against things like Democracy, Hot Pockets, indoor plumbing, electricity, the printing press and Mtn. Dew

Seriously though it’s not a big shock that they are not going to reinvent the wheel with gameplay & mechanics. With 100-200 million in development and one the best IP’s it’s a good idea to have people feeling comfortable right off the bat.

They can poach some of the best ideas, come up with some of their own and develope the game over time...like WoW

They are going to be grabbing cash all right, but not because it's just another wow clone :cool:

Q. In PvP how is kill credit given? Most damage ? in the area? healing someone?

A. Last blows give you badges, they are worth 50 valor and one token. Kill credit is given to anyone who participates in the fight.
No healer love with these "badges"?

Q. Not sure if you'll know this, but is the leveling in pvp on par with the leveling through the story line?

A. Haven’t done enough PvP to be able to tell you with 100% certainty. I don’t get the impression they intend for people to purely level in PvP though, so don’t expect it to be
Wonder if world pvp yields XP gains?

Q. Are cover reliant Smugglers and Agents now viable in PVP or are they still having problems balancing them?

A. I haven’t really seen people using cover in PvP. I imagine in some scenarios it could be useful, but people seem to prefer to stay mobile. As to whether that’s the smart thing to do, I don’t know.
I like this. The Cover system seems pretty lame. I want to play an Imp Agent, but I don't want to be pigeonholed into making a laser beamz wall to play behind.

Bioware was quite vocal that the race/class combo list published in PC Gamer being “inaccurate” but even months later, the race/class combos available in testing are the exact same.

Empire:
Sith Warrior: Human, Sith Pureblood, Cyborg, Zabrak
Sith Inquisitor: Human, Sith Pureblood, Twilek, Rattataki, Zabrak
Bounty Hunter: Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Rattataki, Zabrak
Imperial Agent: Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Rattataki, Zabrak

Republic:
Jedi Knight: Human, Miraluka, Twilek, Zabrak, Mirialan
Jedi Consular: Human, Miraluka, Twilek, Zabrak, Mirialan
Trooper: Human, Cyborg, Zabrak, Mirialan
Smuggler: Human, Cyborg, Zabrak, Mirialan, Twilek

Interesting stuff. I did quote from betacake because I know some work (government, in my case) networks have the site blocked.

I'm just messing with you guys, I told Savoy in another thread I was gonna troll him. So far he has not taken the bait.;) I'll prolly end up trying it in all honesty.

I'm just messing with you guys, I told Savoy in another thread I was gonna troll him. So far he has not taken the bait.;) I'll prolly end up trying it in all honesty.

LOL^^;)

I knew you were gonna fuck with me and my thread bro. All good here. :D;):)

That would be cool.

I also want to see a crazy Collector's/premier/ultimate edition that includes a bunch of awesome stuff.

I'm with you on that. I haven't been this excited to give away stupid money for a limited/exclusive edition of a game in years. Ya 80 bucks for some limited edition tin box with nice box art and some star wars swag works for me. Where do I sign up? lol

What's the deal with Dark Jedi only being Republic? That makes no sense...that's one thing with the recent class revals, etc that threw me a bit, even people on the fourm are trying ot say it makes perfect sense...

No one ever hear of Darth vader? Dark Jedi, pretty sure he was with the Empire.

What's the deal with Dark Jedi only being Republic? That makes no sense...that's one thing with the recent class revals, etc that threw me a bit, even people on the fourm are trying ot say it makes perfect sense...

No one ever hear of Darth vader? Dark Jedi, pretty sure he was with the Empire.

where are you reading this? a few posts up it clearly shows the Sith under Empire?

well hopefully we can get a few in game items in the bonus collectors edition, might even buy 2 and keep the other one for ebay many years from now

The only difference between light jedi and dark jedi from what I have seen will just be the look of the gear you wear. Dark jedi will have more evil looking gear choices that only people with dark enough rating will be able to buy.

The only difference between light jedi and dark jedi from what I have seen will just be the look of the gear you wear. Dark jedi will have more evil looking gear choices that only people with dark enough rating will be able to buy.

But both still fight on the Republic side, which doesnt make since, they need to have a faction subquest where you can cahnge sides if you want to.

I don't claim to be very well versed in the star wars world, but Sith is basically a religion from my understanding where the beliefs are through following the dark side (no use of light side forces)... so you could easily some to see that they are almost synonymous

Then there's this is an earlier post that I was talking about before:

Bioware was quite vocal that the race/class combo list published in PC Gamer being “inaccurate” but even months later, the race/class combos available in testing are the exact same.

Empire:
Sith Warrior: Human, Sith Pureblood, Cyborg, Zabrak
Sith Inquisitor: Human, Sith Pureblood, Twilek, Rattataki, Zabrak
Bounty Hunter: Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Rattataki, Zabrak
Imperial Agent: Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Rattataki, Zabrak

Republic:
Jedi Knight: Human, Miraluka, Twilek, Zabrak, Mirialan
Jedi Consular: Human, Miraluka, Twilek, Zabrak, Mirialan
Trooper: Human, Cyborg, Zabrak, Mirialan
Smuggler: Human, Cyborg, Zabrak, Mirialan, Twilek

As far as Dark/Light side you can be either on either side from what I understand republic/empire dark/light, so you can be republic dark or light and same with the empire, no?

I don't see how you could be a Sith Warrior using light side forces though, maybe I'm just confused lol

But both still fight on the Republic side, which doesnt make since, they need to have a faction subquest where you can cahnge sides if you want to.
That's a horrible idea. The amount of faction hopping would be insane and out of this world and you'd no longer be a Jedi Knight but rather a Sith Warrior (or other counterpart). They kept it open a la Mass Effect style where you can be on the good side but play one bad dude.

I'm with you on that. I haven't been this excited to give away stupid money for a limited/exclusive edition of a game in years. Ya 80 bucks for some limited edition tin box with nice box art and some star wars swag works for me. Where do I sign up? lol

lol, right on. I'm the same way. I haven't been excited enough for a game to shell out extra for the super ultimate limited editions of any game in a looooong time (can't even remember when that was to be honest.)

I'm also hoping that it DOES have some type of unique bind-to-account pet/item/mount, because that will make the unopened collector's box extremely valuable a few years down the road, assuming TOR has real staying power. ;) Last time I looked, original unopened WoW collector's editions were going for ~$2000. That's an extreme example, but you get my gist.

Last time I looked, original unopened WoW collector's editions were going for ~$2000. That's an extreme example, but you get my gist.

wtf $2k?? where were you looking?

Reminds me of SWG when Jedi characters were introduced, the first several for a couple weeks were going for ~$1k or even more at first and then I think it leveled out when more and more and more were made....lol

Everything I have seen looks good, however we are still missing something that has killed off a lot of MMOs: endgame content. There has been no look at what is available for max level players. If there is no endgame content the game may start with a lot of players but loose them as they get to max level.

They need to have an open beta even if only for 1 weekend as a stress test for their system. Without that I have the feeling their servers will be hugely inadequate.

That's a horrible idea. The amount of faction hopping would be insane and out of this world and you'd no longer be a Jedi Knight but rather a Sith Warrior (or other counterpart). They kept it open a la Mass Effect style where you can be on the good side but play one bad dude.

Horrible how?

You can be a Dark Jedi, but you can't fight on the Empire side?

So there'll be no Darth Vader type of characters then? He wasn't a sith, he was a Jedi who turned to the Dark Side (thus Dark Jedi), fought on the Empires side, not republic.

How on earth would it be a horrible idea and WHY is faction hopping bad? It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME, the choice should be up to the players.

Horrible how?

So there'll be no Darth Vader type of characters then? He wasn't a sith, he was a Jedi who turned to the Dark Side (thus Dark Jedi), fought on the Empires side, not republic.

How on earth would it be a horrible idea and WHY is faction hopping bad? It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME, the choice should be up to the players.

They have said time and again pretty much it would ruin their story telling for the classes. They have a set way they want the stories to play out and as of now that's just how it is dude.

Horrible how?

????

Vader was a sith. His master in episodes 4/5/6 was a sith, where did you come up with that?

You can't be a jedi and a sith at the same time, that wouldn't make sense. You can either be a good jedi/evil jedi or a good sith/evil sith. I agree it would be cool to have faction hopping but if you were a jedi and you joined the sith, that makes you a sith not a dark jedi.

Horrible how?

The choice is up to the player - play a Sith or play on the Republic. Faction hop to grief players on PvP servers, gain access to other areas (flashpoints, operations, etc.) for more loot... the list can go on.

They have said time and again pretty much it would ruin their story telling for the classes. They have a set way they want the stories to play out and as of now that's just how it is dude.

This. The class-specific storylines would get shat all over if they allowed swapping factions. Just too many variables to account for.

OH now I get it, lol Jedi vs Sith and the game is setup with only having Jedi on the republic side and Sith on the Empire side... I don't really see a problem with this, Darth Vader and Palpatine were more like off shoots from the sith not really sith themselves... not to mention they are huge main characters in the entire universe... not your average joe schmoe jedi we'll be playing :D

Back