Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

I still haven't gotta an HK yet. maybe after i finished the last 3 classes.

anyone notice that the heroic call thing only goes down to 15min CD? did they cap it to 15min cd?

Oh I know. Just feels like a wasted opportunity to me. I don't think you could ever go wrong with more HK voice scenes.

I don't see how it could be a wasted opportunity. The changes happened after that content was developed. It would have been a waste of resources to go back and add that dialog into the finished parts of the game when it would add little value. The state of the game at that time was such that it certainly would have been a waste of resources, time and money for virtually no pay out. As it is, there was some dialog added in that vein although most people don't know its in there. If you take HK-51 into the False Emperor flashpoint after having completed the "Call to Arms" story arch HK-51 will talk smack to HK-57. It's quite hilarious actually.

anyone notice that the heroic call thing only goes down to 15min CD? did they cap it to 15min cd?

You can only reduce the cool down to 15 minutes. I think that was done for balance reasons. If you could lower that even more, you could face rape the single player and even some group content pretty hard. Some of those abilities hit far harder than their class specific counterparts do. Force storm, force sweep, flame thrower, sticky grenade, project, and the dirty kick all hit for very little. In fact some of those abilities are only of any value in very specific circumstances and in no way should they be part of your standard rotation. With the heroic moment active, those abilities hit pretty damn hard.

He isn't too hard to get. Took my 60 about 3 days a month ago. And that was only a few hours each days. Longest part search took me about an hour, most took me around 30 minutes. Just look at some maps as to locations and start a grid search. Had help a few times. Just a very boring search.

I don't see how it could be a wasted opportunity. The changes happened after that content was developed. It would have been a waste of resources to go back and add that dialog into the finished parts of the game when it would add little value. The state of the game at that time was such that it certainly would have been a waste of resources, time and money for virtually no pay out. As it is, there was some dialog added in that vein although most people don't know its in there. If you take HK-51 into the False Emperor flashpoint after having completed the "Call to Arms" story arch HK-51 will talk smack to HK-57. It's quite hilarious actually.

I don't disagree with you, it probably would have been a waste for the company with no or little return for their efforts. Those scenes were great additions and are examples of why people want more. To me it is a wasted opportunity to entertain because lots of people like the character and wanted more of him. His lines are the reason I want him as a companion and a lot of people wanted that. I understand it may not have been a good way to spend their money. I can understand that and still wish they did because HK is awesome :)

He isn't too hard to get. Took my 60 about 3 days a month ago. And that was only a few hours each days. Longest part search took me about an hour, most took me around 30 minutes. Just look at some maps as to locations and start a grid search. Had help a few times. Just a very boring search.

I don't disagree with you, it probably would have been a waste for the company with no or little return for their efforts. Those scenes were great additions and are examples of why people want more. To me it is a wasted opportunity to entertain because lots of people like the character and wanted more of him. His lines are the reason I want him as a companion and a lot of people wanted that. I understand it may not have been a good way to spend their money. I can understand that and still wish they did because HK is awesome :)

Well you'll be seeing more HK in the next expansion.

Why on earth did they not update the base models/character models? It looks so jarring how much better quality the new characters are vs the player and older npc's

Why on earth did they not update the base models/character models? It looks so jarring how much better quality the new characters are vs the player and older npc's

I started playing this again after 2 years a few weeks ago and I've been having a good time so far. I made a new toon a sith sorcerer been alot of fun.

I really like being able to assign your companion a role now. no more dealing with crappy companion simply because they were your heals or tank.

I am worried about the new mission setup, if every planet mission becomes a critical to storyline mission, its going to get old.

That's a good question. They really should have. But we don't know much about the numbers of developers working on the game. So all we can do is speculate on this. You are right. The difference is jarring. Marr's ship also has new door models and updated assets. It resembles the game assets used on other imperial ships but if you look closely it is far more detailed. Other newer locals are similarly updated.

I'm hoping they'll replace the old textures answer assets over time. Sadly I doubt the game will ever get the major engine overhaul it deserves.

I really like being able to assign your companion a role now. no more dealing with crappy companion simply because they were your heals or tank.

I am worried about the new mission setup, if every planet mission becomes a critical to storyline mission, its going to get old.

That ship already sailed. Makeb started it and things have only gotten worse in that regard. Rishi, Yavin and Ziost are all that way.

Nope, just reworked abilities and skill trees. Simplified stats, which is nice. Reworked mission structures and basically integrated the 12x XP thing into 1-60 leveling and missions.

cool, i can finish those last to classes i was working on. i got bored of it.

cool, i can finish those last to classes i was working on. i got bored of it.

I'm happy about that change as well. I had my main which I finished ages ago and then finished 3 others these past few months and just burned myself out and didn't finish the rest.

I'm liking almost everything overall in the expansion so far. Only a few chapters into it tho.

anybody notice the companions are extremely lethal? I was doing the bounty week missions and I had Niko Okarr on damage and he killed the npc's in mere seconds, it was hilarious!

absolutely, positively LOVING the changes...gearing companions was an unbelieveable pain in the ass

completed the whole 9 chapters...great storylines

basically, its a single player RPG mmo now...to me, all i need the mmo part for is for pvp....all the pve shit in mmo's I'd rather do myself anyway

at end game, you'll be going on alot of missions that involve companion quests...if you liked the companion quests from before, you'll be in heaven now

the game was so stale it was boring..these changes breathe new life into this game..no question...at least for awhile and thats all we can ask for to be honest

I would like to see more solo mode options for end game, I want to experience the story line arcs from the operations, but find the time is difficult, as well as a group that is friendly toward a n00b. always been my bitch with MMO's, they become very elitist the further you get towards end game. not all of us can devote 20-40 hours a week to playing.

I would like to see more solo mode options for end game, I want to experience the story line arcs from the operations, but find the time is difficult, as well as a group that is friendly toward a n00b. always been my bitch with MMO's, they become very elitist the further you get towards end game. not all of us can devote 20-40 hours a week to playing.

Then watch some play-through videos of the Operations. Expecting a 'solo-mode' for an MMO Operation/Raid is crazy. It defeats the entire purpose of it being an operation/raid.

And you definitely do not need 20-40 hours a week put into your character, to run a Normal Mode Operation. If you do, you're doing it wrong.

Then watch some play-through videos of the Operations. Expecting a 'solo-mode' for an MMO Operation/Raid is crazy. It defeats the entire purpose of it being an operation/raid.

And you definitely do not need 20-40 hours a week put into your character, to run a Normal Mode Operation. If you do, you're doing it wrong.

it doesn't, most people just want to see the story in the Operation and hate raids. raiders can still raid.

it doesn't, most people just want to see the story in the Operation and hate raids. raiders can still raid.

Once again, if you want the story just watch a play-through video. Operations have no impact on your character's story whatsoever. They're designed (as in every MMO in existence) for group play, not solo play.

Never played this game, and I am old ex WoW player, quit that game few years ago, to much the same old same old after so many years of playing WoW.

But can SW; ToR be picked up and played casually with my two Brothers together ? Can we all create different characters and start questing and leveling up together, and go on missions together, etc... ?

Never played this game, and I am old ex WoW player, quit that game few years ago, to much the same old same old after so many years of playing WoW.

But can SW; ToR be picked up and played casually with my two Brothers together ? Can we all create different characters and start questing and leveling up together, and go on missions together, etc... ?

totally can do this without a doubt

That's pretty much what it's been redesigned for; the solo player and the casual player. This fits perfectly with your scenario.

That's pretty much what it's been redesigned for; the solo player and the casual player. This fits perfectly with your scenario.

Thanks, so what do we need to buy ? Just the main game, it are there new expansions too ? Is there a monthly fee ?

Can we all create different character tipes and races, but still play along side each other while leveling up ?

Thanks, so what do we need to buy ? Just the main game, it are there new expansions too ? Is there a monthly fee ?

Can we all create different character tipes and races, but still play along side each other while leveling up ?

Unless they made a change with this expansion, there are two starting planets for each faction. Two classes start on each planet, Jedi/Sith on one and the other classes on the other. Doesn't take long to get thru the first planet tho.

It is free to play but IMO it is worth subbing for at least a month to get all the perks. I would play for free for a week and if you guys like it sub.

Here is a link showing the difference between the free preferred and sub options.
http://www.swtor.com/free/features

So - sorry if i missed it - but how do you start the new content? I press 'Play' to start Chapter 1 - keeps putting me on the fleet after I watched the video...

Update - Neverrrrmiiiinnnddd.....finally let me in when I hit play while on my ship...although that's where I started in the first place? LoL - oh well I'm playing it now...- thanks!

Last edited:
Any new classes with the new expansion?

No and BioWare has basically said it will never happen. Frankly they can't balance existing classes worth a shit without homogenizing them.

Nope, just reworked abilities and skill trees. Simplified stats, which is nice. Reworked mission structures and basically integrated the 12x XP thing into 1-60 leveling and missions.

There aren't too many skill tree changes in 4.0 over 3.0. Each class gets one more utility and one new ability. Some abilities now replace others properly so there is some reduction of ability bloat.

12x XP is basically gone. What they did was give you 6x XP for the class quests and 6x XP for the planetary quests. If you do those two things you can level to 60 by the end of Yavin IV / Shadow of Revan.

anybody notice the companions are extremely lethal? I was doing the bounty week missions and I had Niko Okarr on damage and he killed the npc's in mere seconds, it was hilarious!

Yes they are. They are even more so if you had a high presence score going into the expansion.

The game still has its share of dedicated raiders. We want a new raid of course but most of the changes are nice as we have more than one or two relevant operations now.

Once again, if you want the story just watch a play-through video. Operations have no impact on your character's story whatsoever. They're designed (as in every MMO in existence) for group play, not solo play.

Exactly.

There are eight base classes and sixteen advanced classes. There are many races to choose from and yes, you can level with others.

Last edited:
I just fired it up this morning and have no idea wtf I'm doing, haha. I lost my level 40 I had, no idea where he went.

I got to wonder how long until the companions get nerfed some. holy hell with a high presence score they are powerful as hell. put them on Heal, attack a gold/champion, watch them solo it. its nice not having to gear them, and they were weak before, but can't help to think they are overpowered now

theres like 3 different operatons mode, story , normal, and heroic/hard. Story mode requires very little time or understanding of the boss mechanics. pick one and get friends together and you can blast through it ina few hours (2 to 3).

I got to wonder how long until the companions get nerfed some. holy hell with a high presence score they are powerful as hell. put them on Heal, attack a gold/champion, watch them solo it. its nice not having to gear them, and they were weak before, but can't help to think they are overpowered now

It isn't just that companions are over powered but rather that the difficulty level of the game has been dropped to a point where any window licker can play it. You'd have to be a vegetable to die during the Knights of the Fallen Empire storyline. Put your companion away and the stuff will die about as fast if you know your class. You just have to heal in between trash pulls when you run without a companion.

Last edited:
I never got into the game because of the overly cartoonish models/graphics. Are they changing that anytime soon?

I never got into the game because of the overly cartoonish models/graphics. Are they changing that anytime soon?

While newer parts of the game do look better than some of the older ones, there won't be any sweeping graphics changes or engine updates now or in the foreseeable future.

are the changes worth playing as f2p? I really enjoyed the game, but I don't play enough to warrant $15 a month...and "Preferred" was too crippled to really enjoy it.

Back