Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

Can someone tell me how this sounds? I've no experience OC'ing video cards but I understand how to.

I am using afterburner on a reference card.

Power target - 132%
Core clock + 150Mhz
Mem clock + 150Mhz

No artifacts after about a half hour of gameplay in BF3. Temps just under 80.

Are the clocks based off of idle or boost? As in will I always be idle at 1006Mhz and boost up to 1208?

Just an FYI, if you hit 70 C or higher, the GPU will automatically downclock a bit. So if you're hitting almost 80 you won't be getting the full boost speed you set.

I thought the 680 runs at 1.21 already and 1.175 is what we see in windows?
I don't think that's entirely correct. I've never checked with a multimeter but higher speeds are definitely usable now than before modding and Afterburner reads 1.21 now.

Okay, the tool works 100%. I was just testing +150%, +160 core and +250 memory. Both cards are running at 1359MHz on the stock coolers at 1.21v. This is on vanilla EVGA GTX 680s from launch. Awesome!

Thanks Rizen, that's what I've been waiting to hear. I know that early on Kingpin hit 1400+ mhz with a hardmod of 1.215 I believe so I can't wait to see if I can get more out of my cards, if so water cooling here I come :)

Just an FYI, if you hit 70 C or higher, the GPU will automatically downclock a bit. So if you're hitting almost 80 you won't be getting the full boost speed you set.

I've been hitting over 70 even without an OC. I leave the fan running on auto. Should I be aiming for sub 70?

I've been hitting over 70 even without an OC. I leave the fan running on auto. Should I be aiming for sub 70?

It's up to you...just making you aware what was happening. You can watch it happen in MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.

As far as I know there is no way to turn it off, either.

Okay, the tool works 100%. I was just testing +150%, +160 core and +250 memory. Both cards are running at 1359MHz on the stock coolers at 1.21v. This is on vanilla EVGA GTX 680s from launch. Awesome!

Yep. I was able to squeeze out an extra 50Mhz on the GPU and 200 on the memory after unlocking my BIOS and setting Afterburner to let me use the 150% power target.

Got this weird issue with my galaxy 680 soc. I can only reach 120% power target in precision and afterburner even though my card has two 8 pin pciexpress connectors. Any ideas on what's going on?

Got this weird issue with my galaxy 680 soc. I can only reach 120% power target in precision and afterburner even though my card has two 8 pin pciexpress connectors. Any ideas on what's going on?

Different cards have different power limits. Since the power available is already higher with the 2x8 pins, the % you can increase it is lowered. The total power is what is being limited. At least that's the way I remember it - it's been a while since I looked at it though.

Last edited:
Different cards have different power limits. Since the power available is already higher with the 2x8 pins, the % you can increase it is lowered. The total power is what is being limited. At least that's the way I remember it - it's been a while since I looked at it though.

Oh I thought it was the opposite with the 2 8pins providing a higher power availability to the card.

Oh I thought it was the opposite with the 2 8pins providing a higher power availability to the card.

No, it does. But the total top-line power is what is being limited - since the 8 pins means you are starting from a higher base, then you can only add a lower percentage to get to the top number. So if the card is limited to 300W total, and you are starting with 250W instead of 225W because of the 8 pin connectors, then 120% of 250W is the same as 132% of 225W (which is 300W). I'm not sure if that is true or not, but that's what I was told.

My card that ran in the low 1200s now runs at 1300mhz after this update. It seems temperature keeps it held back as it scales a few mhz back when it hits 70c even with a boosted fan profile. I think it's time for me to lap my heatsinks and apply some MX-4 Tim on these. I just received the Tim but gotta buy the sandpaper and spray's for the project. Hopefully I can get my lower end card of the 2 up to par with my main card which can do over 1340mhz

My card that ran in the low 1200s now runs at 1300mhz after this update. It seems temperature keeps it held back as it scales a few mhz back when it hits 70c even with a boosted fan profile. I think it's time for me to lap my heatsinks and apply some MX-4 Tim on these. I just received the Tim but gotta buy the sandpaper and spray's for the project. Hopefully I can get my lower end card of the 2 up to par with my main card which can do over 1340mhz

After which update?

So my Galaxy GTX 680 GC came in the mail and I installed it a day or two ago.

I've been tinkering with the offsets but haven't been able to get anything out of either one without a game quickly crashing.

Tonight I figured I would just default everything (power, offsets, auto fan speed) and let it sit in unigine. It got up to around 80C, with artifacts along the way, and then unigine outright crashed. My EVGA GTX 570 SC that I was using prior had been rock-solid, so I doubt it's my machine.

Now where's that Galaxy rep? ;)

Picked up an unbranded Geforce 680 off of Ebay for $339. Flashed it with the KGB bios. With the unlocked bios,I can run the card with boost at 1293 and mem at 7200. I am seeing the 1.21 volts in the afterburner log. But thing is as soon as it hits 70c, it downclocks to 1173 core. Without the kgb mod, I get max boost around 1228, but at 70C, it only downclocks to 1215. Think I'm sticking to the stock bios, because its almost impossible for me not to hit 70C, even with a custom fan profile.

Another thing is, I lapped and repasted the heatsink, as well as installed the highflow backplate. Before the mod I was idling at 50, load around 81C. Now I idle at 33 load 71C. And load is running Heaven or 3dmark. With normal games, it never gets above 70C. So those users with high temps might want to consider repasting the heatsink.

Picked up an unbranded Geforce 680 off of Ebay for $339. Flashed it with the KGB bios. With the unlocked bios,I can run the card with boost at 1293 and mem at 7200. I am seeing the 1.21 volts in the afterburner log. But thing is as soon as it hits 70c, it downclocks to 1173 core. Without the kgb mod, I get max boost around 1228, but at 70C, it only downclocks to 1215. Think I'm sticking to the stock bios, because its almost impossible for me not to hit 70C, even with a custom fan profile.

Another thing is, I lapped and repasted the heatsink, as well as installed the highflow backplate. Before the mod I was idling at 50, load around 81C. Now I idle at 33 load 71C. And load is running Heaven or 3dmark. With normal games, it never gets above 70C. So those users with high temps might want to consider repasting the heatsink.

Being that your 680 is reference, maybe you could use an aftermarket cooler :)

trying to use NVflash to flash my bios. however when i do i get a message indicating incompatible with the windows im using. how do you get around this as NV Flash indicates compatible with win 7 64 bit (mine is Pro)? thanks

trying to use NVflash to flash my bios. however when i do i get a message indicating incompatible with the windows im using. how do you get around this as NV Flash indicates compatible with win 7 64 bit (mine is Pro)? thanks

Just use nvflash with bootable usb. There's a link on how to do it a few pages back. Personally, if you can't keep temps under 70C, the unlocked bios actually makes things run slower, because the downclock at 70C is substantial.

Decided to OC my stock launch evga 680.
I'll probably bump up the clocks on my 2600K a bit too. (Using default ASUS OC profile)

bA30c.png

Hello Guys,

Is it normal that my card consumes only 70% of power? I own a Gigabyte GTX680 OC Windforce x3 and at full charge the tdp is only at 70% even with a power limit set to 111%.

Is it normal that it's stuck at this value? I have checked in AB, GPU-z, and evga precision all says that it consumes only 70%.

Thanks

Perfectly stable with my new 680 Lighting @ 1372/1700. Was stable on stock voltage at 1333. Pretty sure I can break 1400mhz. Stopped last night because the Marine Corps likes to have early as fuk days. Haha

Oh yeah and card never exceeds 63c at that speed max voltage. Gotta love the msi cooler!

I have a EVGA 680 4GB. Stock 1019, Boost 1084.

I have overclocked it to +166 (1250) so far. I can't push past that without Heaven failing, everything on max. I can however get to 1350 while running the fuzzy donut without artifacts. +550 (7100) on the Memory btw, but I'm sure I can bring that higher.

1) I haven't changed the fan profile, so that should help. Def hitting the 70C wall.

2) I haven't flashed the bios. Gotta learn more about the benefits before I void the warrantee in the name of 1fps.

3) I need to push the core up as I push the mem up and hopefully they will yield a boost of some sort when done together. Gatta wait till I get home from work.

I don't care if I get crazy clocks, but whatever it takes, this card is going to 1300Mhz stable in Heaven or will die trying.

I have a EVGA 680 4GB. Stock 1019, Boost 1084.

I have overclocked it to +166 (1250) so far. I can't push past that without Heaven failing, everything on max. I can however get to 1350 while running the fuzzy donut without artifacts. +550 (7100) on the Memory btw, but I'm sure I can bring that higher.

1) I haven't changed the fan profile, so that should help. Def hitting the 70C wall.

2) I haven't flashed the bios. Gotta learn more about the benefits before I void the warrantee in the name of 1fps.

3) I need to push the core up as I push the mem up and hopefully they will yield a boost of some sort when done together. Gatta wait till I get home from work.

I don't care if I get crazy clocks, but whatever it takes, this card is going to 1300Mhz stable in Heaven or will die trying.

Got the GTX680 OC'ed tp 1280Mhz. Trying to push 1300Mhz. Might not be possible without bios/voltage mods though. But right there. I gotta push another +17Mhz on the core to do so. I adjusted the fan curve and it helped by about 1.5 fps. Its something.

photo.php

Got the GTX680 OC'ed tp 1280Mhz. Trying to push 1300Mhz. Might not be possible without bios/voltage mods though. But right there. I gotta push another +17Mhz on the core to do so. I adjusted the fan curve and it helped by about 1.5 fps. Its something.

photo.php

Got that mother to 1293Mhz. But if I don't raise the clock my like +10Mhz, it does not register as 1303Mhz. It will stay at 1293. Guess that's the software.

Got that mother to 1293Mhz. But if I don't raise the clock my like +10Mhz, it does not register as 1303Mhz. It will stay at 1293. Guess that's the software.

They work in 13 MHz levels so you may need to bump it more than +13 to get the next level.

If you are sticking with the reference cooler, I would recommend everyone remove the pre-applied thermal paste. I removed the pre-applied thermal paste and used some MX-2. My idle temps went from 34-35 down to 27-28. My full load temps from 74-75 down to 67-68. Tests done in Heaven 4.0 Extreme.

Last edited:
If you are sticking with the reference cooler, I would recommend everyone remove the pre-applied thermal paste. I removed the pre-applied thermal paste and used some MX-2. My idle temps went from 34-35 down to 27-28. My full load temps from from 74-75 down to 67-68. Tests done in Heaven 4.0 Extreme.

Holy Balls. Did you run into any complications when doing so. And what style in application of thermal paste did you use? Line, Dot, X, smooth?

--After adjusting my fan curve, I am now running under the 70C wall, at like 67C max at 99% Load. . Think my card is just reaching its limits? Running stable at 1293. I found that if I lower the mem clock a little (3530 from 3550), I squeezed and extra +13Mhz out of it. Went from 1280 to 1293.

Any suggestions past that's. The goal is 1300, and its going to happen, and without voltage/bios mods. SO close! Doesn't fail games, just heaven.
--Is here a way to adjust it form only clocking +13Mhz at a time. Or is that law?

Holy Balls. Did you run into any complications when doing so. And what style in application of thermal paste did you use? Line, Dot, X, smooth?

No issues. It is very easy to remove the heatsink using a Philips and Torx driver.

Since the block isn't as large as a CPU, you can't use too much. A thin line or dot will work. And don't spread it out.

I've hit a wall at +165 give or take on the core. Seems to be bios/voltage related? Although increasing the voltage to precision's max doesn't make any difference as it runs this speed on default voltage. Temps never go above 45c.

Ever Kill a Card / Board with Static? I have, not much fun...especially after you put that time and effort into mounting the cooler on 'er. Id suggest keeping your electrical components off surfaces that breed static like its going outta style lol.

Ever Kill a Card / Board with Static? I have, not much fun...especially after you put that time and effort into mounting the cooler on 'er. Id suggest keeping your electrical components off surfaces that breed static like its going outta style lol.

Never had a problem in 10 years :)

You are right thou, I use to be all super worried and use a anti static strip.

I will probably need to break something expensive with static before I learn.

I did it. Got that bitch to 1306Mhz. Had to bring the Mem clock from 3530 to 3310, but that did the trick. Success!

After an hour of tests I got no artifacts and I think I can push it further since my temps only 47 C due to water cooling.

ScreenShot070.jpg

ScreenShot071.jpg

cpuZ.gif

Back