Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

iam overclocked to 1285mhz gpu and 7000mhz mem on a gigabyte gtx 680

temps are 48 to 50c on load and idle bet ween 23 to 26c

Screenshots? What fan speed to maintain those temps? (or watercooled?)

i will take pics of the card tommrow

i had a reference gigabyte gtx 680 and did kinda cool mod to it
i installed an arctic cooler twin turbo II on it and used Arctic silver aluminia adhesive on the ram sinks and also installed an EVGA backplate on to. I bought #4 nylon hex nuts to attach the backplate, it looks really good and professional. Iam going to take pics of it tommorw

i ordered a new tube of mx-4

Sounds pretty nice! Definitely look forward to seeing it. Very jealous of the OC.

EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+Nickel & EK-FC680 GTX - EN (Nickel) water blocks
Black Ice GT Stealth 360 XFlow & XSPC RX240 radiators
MCP655 @ 3.5 speed.

v7bma0.jpg

Last edited:
^
Try down clocking a little on the memory or gpu. You're redlining pretty badly considering you're only getting 17.7 min fps and 54.3 avg fps for such a huge oc. I copied your test settings exactly (we have the same cpu, even same voltage settings) and I'm constantly getting 28.5 min fps and 53.0 avg fps on even 1252mhz/3456 clocks.

^
Try down clocking a little on the memory or gpu. You're redlining pretty badly considering you're only getting 17.7 min fps and 54.3 avg fps for such a huge oc. I copied your test settings exactly (we have the same cpu, even same voltage settings) and I'm constantly getting 28.5 min fps and 53.0 avg fps on even 1252mhz/3456 clocks.

The initial 17.7 FPS min was at the very beginning when the benchmark loaded up.
I clocked it down to 1310mhz/3406 clocks (from 1310mhz/3506 clocks)
As a result,
FPS: 54.1
Scores: 1363
Min FPS: 27.1
Max FPS: 137.2

heavenbench1.png
precisionx1.png

Doing much better than me. I was also curious does anyone else never see 100% GPU in Heaven? (according to Precision X OSD). It hovers most of the time between 93 and 95% occasionally jumping to 97%. Highest GPU temp on OSD was 60c (Custom fan curve)

EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+Nickel & EK-FC680 GTX - EN (Nickel) water blocks
Black Ice GT Stealth 360 XFlow & XSPC RX240 radiators
MCP655 @ 3.5 speed.

Mine will do 200/500 too but BF3 crashed a few times. I can run everything else though, mines watercooled too. Check and see if BF3 crashes after playing a bit. My temps never break 40.

Running heaven benchmark had to downclocking 10mhz to 1275mhz on the gpu
to prevent from crashing

Temps are lower 45 to 48c under load running. 24 drivers

Mine will do 200/500 too but BF3 crashed a few times. I can run everything else though, mines watercooled too. Check and see if BF3 crashes after playing a bit. My temps never break 40.
Do you think maybe the 680 needs some more voltage? I was running at +200/+444 and crashed occasionally in BF3. Haven't tried increasing the voltage, though. Not sure if the card needs more juice or if it just can't quite handle the OC. I'm currently running +180/+440 to be safe.

I can't even do +110 without getting some Driver crashes in BF3/Heaven so I don't feel too bad for you guys having trouble with 200 :p

I can't even do +110 without getting some Driver crashes in BF3/Heaven so I don't feel too bad for you guys having trouble with 200 :p

It seems like most people top out at around 1200-1250mhz. My card does 1215. The people whos cards clock higher tend to brag more and a lot of people don't really stress test. My card can run higher than 1215mhz in some apps but it isn't stable.

Do you think maybe the 680 needs some more voltage? I was running at +200/+444 and crashed occasionally in BF3. Haven't tried increasing the voltage, though. Not sure if the card needs more juice or if it just can't quite handle the OC. I'm currently running +180/+440 to be safe.

Voltage pretty much always helps, but so far you can't increase the voltage on the 680. It is locked at 1.175 - hopefully that will change in the future.

I have 2 680 on sli since a few days, yesterday with OC it was stable with 4 hours play at +149 gpu, today it crashed even with +129.

I play crysis2 in surround, sometime I have 90 fps, sometimes around 75, and then sometime it's stock at 60fps, and suddenly the card works only at 80%. Cud someone tell me in his opinion what happens?

I noticed I had chrome on background, closed it and gained 20 fps, then later it is down again and the cards at 80%.

My powertarget is set to 132%
I now try an OC with +136 on clock, the memory at +97%, the problem is I cud run furmark with +200 without problems, but it was crashing on 3D mark 11, and on crysis2 fullscreen.

Temps go around 70-80, depends, to keep them at 70 or lower I must run the fan at the maximum and it makes a big noise.

other question: Can it be that there are values better than others, even if higher? Just maybe for same kind of multiplier "compatibility. For example 152 is better than 150 because it divisible by 8. It's just an example...

and can it be that if you OC the core you need to OC also on a corrispondent level the memory?

I'm not undertanding those cards, sometime these are stable at a certain point, sometime not. I'm not doing 300 or more on memory because I saw it crash, and don't know if it crashed because of mem or clock. But the only one I was rising at that time was the memory.

Then.....

with 400+ (instead of only 50+) on memory I had more fps by furmark but less score by 3D mark 11...
wtf happens?

Should I take the cards and talk to them? I didn't do it yet :D

not for last, the first day it was crashing with +50 on the core and 3d mark, now it passed the tests on +189.... by same temps and about same mem OC

My advice is to stick to Heaven loops. It is by far the most taxing performance test compared to all the others. Look for any artifacts. If it doesn't crash or artifacts after a few passes, you can almost certainly handle any games at the new settings.

I normally run +190/+500 in BF3.
I've been able to +240/+600 on MSI Afterburner for about 30mins no problem (till I personally stopped it) Though if I play a game with that, it will crash.
Actually the only problem I have gaming is my stupid ISP choking up and the entire game lags for 3-5 seconds. This happens like once or twice every 30 minutes to 1 hour. Well I'm assuming it's my ISP :p

so after running heaven benchmark couple of times

my final settings for 100% stable are 1275mhz gpu and 7400mhz or + 700 on mem offset

my final settings for 100% stable are 1275mhz gpu and 7400mhz or + 700 on mem offset

Is that because of the new cooler? Did you try the same tests before you put it on? What limits did you achieve with those pre-custom cooler tests?

oh well before i was limited to 110+ or 1150mhz memory is about the same

According to others, this is probably slowing you down in reality. 350 is more realistic.

well i did the tests with 0+ on the memory when i was trying to find a stable clock on my gpu

heaven stoped crashing at 1275mhz

Are you sure that memory overclock is actually still giving you performance? At some overclock it'll normally start hurting performance instead of helping. I'd check the performance at +500 and the recheck it at +700 and see how it is.

Voltage pretty much always helps, but so far you can't increase the voltage on the 680. It is locked at 1.175 - hopefully that will change in the future.
Unfortunately the voltage is locked on hardware level, so no any BIOS tweak or driver update is not going to remove that.

This article hows the voltage limit is removed by removing a resistor and shorting certain points on the Asus 680 DirectCU 2 custom board. Asus even leave an opening on the backplate to make the resistor accessible for anyone adventurous enough.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-gtx-680-directcu-ii-top-2gb-review/15614-3.html

Are you sure that memory overclock is actually still giving you performance? At some overclock it'll normally start hurting performance instead of helping. I'd check the performance at +500 and the recheck it at +700 and see how it is.

Yeh I did. + 700 gave me the highest score in heaven it was 55.4

It only varied a couple fps. But I'm running + 600 for daily. Gaming for safety and it lowers the temp

While I was fleshing out all of my GTX 680's to find which was the best over-clocker I found out I have a beast card. I always wondered why this card all the way at the end in my 4-way SLI config operated so much cooler than the others. It is crazy efficient.

1328 MHz core, 3580 MHz memory at stock voltage! Also EVGA Scanner X and OCCT stable at these frequencies. My other three GTX 680's would top out around 1240-1260 MHz core when used on their own.

This core is so efficient it idles at 18 C! Anyone else see clocks like these? It will make a nice single GPU for my new mini-build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4pN8hBlQk&feature=youtu.be

While I was fleshing out all of my GTX 680's to find which was the best over-clocker I found out I have a beast card. I always wondered why this card all the way at the end in my 4-way SLI config operated so much cooler than the others. It is crazy efficient.

1328 MHz core, 3580 MHz memory at stock voltage! Also EVGA Scanner X and OCCT stable at these frequencies. My other three GTX 680's would top out around 1240-1260 MHz core when used on their own.

This core is so efficient it idles at 18 C! Anyone else see clocks like these? It will make a nice single GPU for my new mini-build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4pN8hBlQk&feature=youtu.be

The hardest benchmark I've found is running BF3 and see if the drivers crap out - if they do the card isn't really stable. I ran loops of heaven, 3dmark and furmark but BF3 crashed me within 10 mins at 1310mhz. Currently I'm running about 1280 and it's fine.

Mines water cooled, temps were never an issue. Mine idles 23-24 c. Remember you can't idle less than ambient. 18c means your room is 64F or the sensor is screwed.

the problem i have is evga precision will drop my voltage offset randomly to stock when i have set it to max

The hardest benchmark I've found is running BF3 and see if the drivers crap out - if they do the card isn't really stable. I ran loops of heaven, 3dmark and furmark but BF3 crashed me within 10 mins at 1310mhz. Currently I'm running about 1280 and it's fine.

Mines water cooled, temps were never an issue. Mine idles 23-24 c. Remember you can't idle less than ambient. 18c means your room is 64F or the sensor is screwed.

Ya, I've got the core to 1325 MHz now and 1702 Mem and I played BF3 for a couple of hours last night, good to go! I got a pretty good chip.

My ambient radiator happens to be in-line in front of a HVAC vent so when the air conditioner kicks on the temps drop nice around the 17-18C range. When the AC is off it's like ~20 C. Essentially the idle core is right at ambient air temp, never seen that before.

Unfortunately the voltage is locked on hardware level, so no any BIOS tweak or driver update is not going to remove that.

This article hows the voltage limit is removed by removing a resistor and shorting certain points on the Asus 680 DirectCU 2 custom board. Asus even leave an opening on the backplate to make the resistor accessible for anyone adventurous enough.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-gtx-680-directcu-ii-top-2gb-review/15614-3.html

So if I change the default voltage 1.175 in precision to 1.200 it will not work?

Well my Galaxy (sold) did +38 or so for ~1120, and this Evga Signature does 1215 stock, but only has +25 headroom (38 hard locks annoyingly, no recovery) ... at least 3300 memory speed gives a nice performance bump. I'm calling it a day on the overclocking front with just a memory speed bump.

Hi everyone, i'm not really sure what i'm looking for with the sliders when I overclock, I've just been reading other people's numbers and emulating them.

I just want a simple overclock that will give me a slight boost in performance without too much extra heat. I checked and at 132/175/510 I didn't artifact or have any problems in 3dmark 11. But I was looking for something more along the lines of 130/100/300 Is there any issue with doing these numbers? Does something have to match up with another? Because I saw someone with 130/88/291.

I apologize if this sounds ignorant, I'm just trying to get like a 10% boost in games without too much hassle. Thank you!

What is the best way to test stability, and if you are not ruining performance.

I just used someones 125/123/300 and got
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3329163

I'm wondering which would be better 130/100/300 or this. Sorry for the dumb questions, I just kind of want to set it and forget it :).

What is the best way to test stability, and if you are not ruining performance.

I just used someones 125/123/300 and got
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3329163

I'm wondering which would be better 130/100/300 or this. Sorry for the dumb questions, I just kind of want to set it and forget it :).

Differetn for everyone. My card will not even do +100 on core without driver crashes in BF3.

IMO BF3 is the best stress test. I can run Heaven 10 times in a row with no problems and then get a driver crash 5 minutes in to Battlefield 3. I use Heaven as my starting point and if it runs 2-3 times in a row without issues then I launch BF3 and see if I can play for 30-60m without any driver crashes.

Back