Official Galaxy Nexus Thread

Well I picked mine up today from verizon for $250 (I had a $50 credit for some reason). It's a huge step above my OG droid. My only complaint is that the speaker could be louder. I use speakerphone while driving and I'm finding it to be tough to hear people.

Oh and 4G is sweet. I'm getting 25mbps down and 15mbps up. Seriously, that's better than my comcast service.

Get "Volume+". Will fix any volume issues.

Well I picked mine up today from verizon for $250 (I had a $50 credit for some reason). It's a huge step above my OG droid. My only complaint is that the speaker could be louder. I use speakerphone while driving and I'm finding it to be tough to hear people.

Oh and 4G is sweet. I'm getting 25mbps down and 15mbps up. Seriously, that's better than my comcast service.

For like 1.69 the volume+ app fixes all the speaker woes. Sucks to spend money to fix it bur it makes life better :D

$300 is nothing compared to what you will pay in service. Amortize that $300 across 24 months, 104 weeks.....it costs a whopping $2.88 a week to have a top of the line phone that does everything you want and need vs. getting crap for free.

The service is a fixed cost. You are going to pay that for the next two years regardless. Better to do it with a device that will have lots of life and are happy with. That's what gives Android phones a bad name, you can get a free Android phone and they are junk and you pay the same price for service so it's a terrible value and gives a terrible first impression for Android.

I also find it a little humorous when people complain about paying $300 on a phone for a $2600 2 year contract.

If I didn't have a work cell phone, I would still be rocking SERO ($34/mo) and some WM phone or a hacked EVO 4G.

You guys should be complaining about the service price, not the phone. $300 is nothing.

I have been having major issues keeping a data connection. It may have a lot to do with the local topography, but never had this issue with any other 3g phone.

*edit... its the local lte. Now running 3G.

Last edited:
I also find it a little humorous when people complain about paying $300 on a phone for a $2600 2 year contract.

If I didn't have a work cell phone, I would still be rocking SERO ($34/mo) and some WM phone or a hacked EVO 4G.

You guys should be complaining about the service price, not the phone. $300 is nothing.

I pay around 1200 for 2 years. For unlimted everything. Now theres a good example of actual customer loyalty benefits

I'm only getting around 6000-7000kbps down when I run my tests. Service in my area doesn't seem to be that great.

To all of you who think your phone's price is being "subsidized": compare two years of service from your current carrier to two years with a PagePlus plan and see how much you're really "saving". You're probably paying more than if you did prepaid/month-to-month even if you factor in an unlocked phone every two years. PagePlus uses Verizon's towers and resells the minutes to its customers, so service is identical to Verizon from my experience.

* No, I don't work for PagePlus, I just hate to see you guys being mislead, locked down, and accepting the status quo.

EDIT: I just realized this isn't really an apples to apples comparison since carriers also force you into a data plan, which PP doesn't really have. But if you don't need data, it works great.

what the heck? i have to have data for my mobile, i rarely use it to make calls, the data is where it's all at these days, and data with good coverage too, i can make calls over data, i can't surf the web over 1xRTT

Anyone else's battery history not reset the up time when you plug it in for a charge?

Anyone else's battery history not reset the up time when you plug it in for a charge?

It resets when it fully charges, not when it first starts charging. I think it might wait until it's unplugged after being fully charged, but not positive on that. It definitely needs to be full, though.

I am really enjoying this phone. I'm not sure if it is a really great phone or if my og droid was really antiquated or some mixture of both but I hadn't realized that using a phone could be enjoyable.

I am really enjoying this phone. I'm not sure if it is a really great phone or if my og droid was really antiquated or some mixture of both but I hadn't realized that using a phone could be enjoyable.

Same here. Coming from a droid x. Got a custom rom and a few mods installed, and loving it.

Upgraded from an OG Droid yesterday. I'm still a bit freaked out. The phone is so much thinner and lighter than the Droid, and so much smoother/faster. Most of that is probably the increased storage since I was always getting the "out of space" warning. The screen is awesome, videos look great. My only complaint is that it doesn't handle AC3 audio streams in my ripped DVDs, but meh, whatever. For the few videos I'll carry with me (primarily to entertain the kids) I'll just re-encode. 4G speeds for me are crap at home, about 1.5 down and 600k up, but that's Verizon's fault, not the phone. Can't wait to add inductive charging to it.

Pretty scathing review at PC Mag.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397739,00.asp

Must be an Apple fanboy.

It pains me to do this, but I'm not giving the Samsung Galaxy Nexus an Editor's Choice—even though I think Android phone buyers should seek out the Ice Cream Sandwich OS. The problem is that the Droid RAZR is just a better phone. Even though it has a lower screen resolution, it's better built, with better signal reception and voice quality; most other hardware features are a wash between the two phones. Also, just to dodge the brickbats, I might as well mention the Apple iPhone 4S. The 4S has a better camera and is much, much more compact. There's something a little intimidating about these physically huge phones, and it isn't just Verizon's scare-your-cattle ad campaigns. While the 4S makes you give up 4G LTE—truly a major loss—it fits much better in a smaller hand, it has an elegant UI, and it has a terrific range of third-party apps.​

Must be an Apple fanboy.

It pains me to do this, but I'm not giving the Samsung Galaxy Nexus an Editor's Choice—even though I think Android phone buyers should seek out the Ice Cream Sandwich OS. The problem is that the Droid RAZR is just a better phone. Even though it has a lower screen resolution, it's better built, with better signal reception and voice quality; most other hardware features are a wash between the two phones. Also, just to dodge the brickbats, I might as well mention the Apple iPhone 4S. The 4S has a better camera and is much, much more compact. There's something a little intimidating about these physically huge phones, and it isn't just Verizon's scare-your-cattle ad campaigns. While the 4S makes you give up 4G LTE—truly a major loss—it fits much better in a smaller hand, it has an elegant UI, and it has a terrific range of third-party apps.​

RAZR a better phone? wtf is this guy smoking?

Must be an Apple fanboy.

his glowing adjectives of iphone = fanboi = irrelevant review. but thanks for sharing it anyway..funny..how passionate we are about....our handsets

It resets when it fully charges, not when it first starts charging. I think it might wait until it's unplugged after being fully charged, but not positive on that. It definitely needs to be full, though.

Sorry that's what I meant. I had also realized that it didn't fully charge that night. Or at least not from what I could tell. Had it on the wall charger and when I unplugged it in the morning it was at 90%. So the battery history didn't register a complete charge and thus never reset the up-time or off-battery time.

I think it was Sat morning I discovered this, so I actually plugged it into my computer and after a little bit it hit the 100%, unplugged and it reset the up-time.

So not sure what's going on. I think it hit 100% last night too, so maybe it was an early stages thing?

RAZR a better phone? wtf is this guy smoking?

Ugh. Razr is not a better phone. Guy at work has one. Doesn't it also have motoblur or some crap? Yeah keep that off my phone, thanks.

It also doesn't feel as good in my hands as the G-Nex. Roughly the same size but the Razr feels bulky and uncomfortable. G-Nex is sleek and elegant.

The only cons I can come up with on my G-Nex are mediocre battery life (so far - it barely makes it through the 9 hour work day with moderate/heavy usage) and signal (came from a Moto Droid and if there's one thing Moto does right, it's antennas - I barely get signal in my office whereas my Droid had half bars and comparing to my wifes Droid it stays at least -10 dBm higher). I have an extended battery on the way though. I'm glad it doesn't add any thickness to the phone. People are reporting that despite it coming with a back cover for it, the stock cover still fits over it without an issue.

I've actually had a few random reboots too :(. Twice while using Google Maps and once while just typing up an e-mail. Not sure if it was a rouge app in the background or what. I'm totally stock and unrooted. So I think I'm going to take it back and exchange it for another G-nex today. It doesn't seem to be a known issue from reading the Android forums. I haven't seen anyone else post on random reboots, so I'm hoping it's bad hardware on my specific phone.

The most common hardware issue I'm seeing posted across forums is displays that are not consistently tinted from left to right or top to bottom.

Hopefully your exchange goes well.

The only cons I can come up with on my G-Nex are mediocre battery life (so far - it barely makes it through the 9 hour work day with moderate/heavy usage) and signal (came from a Moto Droid and if there's one thing Moto does right, it's antennas - I barely get signal in my office whereas my Droid had half bars and comparing to my wifes Droid it stays at least -10 dBm higher). I have an extended battery on the way though. I'm glad it doesn't add any thickness to the phone. People are reporting that despite it coming with a back cover for it, the stock cover still fits over it without an issue.

I think this sums up my opinion pretty well. I am coming from the OG Droid and it really is unquestionable what a step up the phone is. However, I do feel like I have had some hard time with reception which is a pretty big downside. I was especially having a rough time this weekend. It seems like whenever it tried to switch from 4G to 3G it would just loose reception completely for a few minutes. I'm hoping there might be a firmware update for that though.

I think this sums up my opinion pretty well. I am coming from the OG Droid and it really is unquestionable what a step up the phone is. However, I do feel like I have had some hard time with reception which is a pretty big downside. I was especially having a rough time this weekend. It seems like whenever it tried to switch from 4G to 3G it would just loose reception completely for a few minutes. I'm hoping there might be a firmware update for that though.

Yeah, as if on cue; Verizon is working on an update to address Galaxy Nexus signal issues.

Hoping they make good on it and it's not hardware/antenna related. My Droid would pull signal in a Faraday cage and I'm used to that, heh.

I'm wondering if something is wrong with my phone. I am having pretty bad battery life. After being full charged the phone goes to 39% battery in 12 hours after only checking a few emails sending a few texts and 1 phone call. (basically only using it for 10 min in that 12 hours) Wifi is set to sleep when screen is off, 4g is turned on I'm wondering if this is what is really killing the battery? The phone says android os is using 43% of battery, phone idle is 24%, cell standby 18%, and screen 9%. I haven't had any 4g signal problems like others have (though the store demo did have these problems) I just have piss poor battery life. Is the 4g all to blame?

Mine crashed and rebooted last night while I was listening to music and browsing some settings. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I'm wondering if something is wrong with my phone. I am having pretty bad battery life. After being full charged the phone goes to 39% battery in 12 hours after only checking a few emails sending a few texts and 1 phone call. (basically only using it for 10 min in that 12 hours) Wifi is set to sleep when screen is off, 4g is turned on I'm wondering if this is what is really killing the battery? The phone says android os is using 43% of battery, phone idle is 24%, cell standby 18%, and screen 9%. I haven't had any 4g signal problems like others have (though the store demo did have these problems) I just have piss poor battery life. Is the 4g all to blame?

Possibly. Try turning it off in "More..." (right below WiFi, Bluetooth and Data usage options) > "Mobile Networks" > "Network Mode" > select "CDMA" instead of "CDMA / LTE". That will disable 4G. Pretty sure there's widgets for this in the market too.

My G-Nex doesn't use much juice at all while idle:

Screenshot_2011-12-17-11-05-08.png

That was me leaving it unplugged while I slept one night. As you can see WiFi stayed on all night and I have e-mail/weather services that updated every hour or so. I don't have 4G in my area, so I have it disabled in the settings I specified above. Almost 10 hours and it dropped 10%.

This may be an obvious question, but how much faster/smoother is the Nexus compared to an Evo 4G running a nice custom Rom like MIUI or EvoDeck?

If you go into the Battery usage and then open the Android OS, is Keep Awake listed and using like an hour or more?

I think that's the issue or at least part of it. My phone does it and I was reading about other people having the same experience on the xda forums.

I believe there's another update on it's way from Google, but I'd have look into it to verify.

Basically instead of actually sleeping the phone is being kept awake by some process.

If you go into the Battery usage and then open the Android OS, is Keep Awake listed and using like an hour or more?

I think that's the issue or at least part of it. My phone does it and I was reading about other people having the same experience on the xda forums.

I believe there's another update on it's way from Google, but I'd have look into it to verify.

Basically instead of actually sleeping the phone is being kept awake by some process.

Keep awake: 4 hours! :eek: I think there are two apps causing it, I am going to remove them and see how it does.

Hmm. I havent tried to see if theres an app causing it. How did you narrow it down?

Hmm. I havent tried to see if theres an app causing it. How did you narrow it down?

Well I was running a task manager and there was always an app running I never launched. I noticed also in one of the bug fixes of the app that it was supposed to fix it from draining the battery so maybe its not fixed on ics.

Yup, it was one of the two apps I removed. I have only dropped 1% in battery in the last 2 1/2 hours. Woo! Glad its not my phone.

Must be an Apple fanboy.

I will go ahead and say that I would be sprinting to the Moto Razr if it had a clean-ish version of Ice Cream Sandwich on it like the Galaxy Nexus. It's bullet proof in comparison to the iphone or nexus. I have a flimsy droid eris right now but it's piece of mind.

But I'm getting the Galaxy Nexus. Looking at the wall of Verizons/ Motorolas uninstallable apps is enough to spoil my appetite. And the almost guarantee of at least one major os update down the road helps remove any of my buyers remorse.

Yup, it was one of the two apps I removed. I have only dropped 1% in battery in the last 2 1/2 hours. Woo! Glad its not my phone.

Mind sharing the app you found killing it or the task manager you used? Thanks.

Mind sharing the app you found killing it or the task manager you used? Thanks.

The two apps I removed were beautiful widgets and advanced taskmanager. I don't know which of the two caused the problems but after removing both battery hasn't been dropping so fast.

Coming from an OG Droid, biggest thing i noticed was apps installing SO fast. And in general the phone just feels faster and cleaner. ICS is just a slick system.

On the cons, I have noticed I have about a bar less reception and lower battery life. I charge as often as I had to with my two year old droid battery with fewer apps installed. The phone just uses more power.

someone in this thread mentioned data connectivity issues and I explained to them that all of the LTE devices go through a hard time at first and gradually get better, here is a good faith best educated guess at what's going on, and it's not the phone...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...other-4g-lte-vzw-phone-is-losing-data-signal/

Add to that this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5254/investigating-the-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue
Brian Klug at Anandtech said:
The issue that most people talk about centers around signal strength, and this is where a few misconceptions kick in. I’ve gotten a few emails and tweets and read pages on forums where people are implicitly comparing CDMA2000 1x/EVDO field strength to LTE field strength. The issue here is that on basically all of the LTE/CDMA Verizon handsets, the field under “Signal Strength” in about refers to EVDO signal strength, and not LTE signal strength.
I have a Bionic kicking around which has to go back very soon, but fired up logcat and put the Galaxy Nexus next to it. The Bionic reports signal strength pretty constantly whereas in Android 4.0 the number has some hysteresis, but here the numbers are pretty darn close, with the Bionic hovering between -91 and -95 dBm, and the Galaxy Nexus reporting an average of -92 dBm.

My wild speculation: I think the 4G to 3G handoff is overly aggressive/conservative and they'll add bars for the sake of bars. :(

The two apps I removed were beautiful widgets and advanced taskmanager. I don't know which of the two caused the problems but after removing both battery hasn't been dropping so fast.

ugh. i'm still SO pissed I missed out on the $.10 apps.

Back