Official: Diablo 3 is Coming!

You know whats funny, when D3 comes out World of Warcraft servers are gonna be ghost towns lol, We shall have our revenge!. All hail D3!

My minor gripe is that the witch doctor looks like it will replace the necromancer class.

Dunno about you, but golems and undead magic > locusts and that poison stuff (although undead (necro) and poison do make a nice combination).

yeah looks like there replacing the necromancer class :( , that sux, he was my favorite, I have a lvl 83 ...so much fun, but the witch doctor looks pretty neat, I could deal with that.

Here's a rip from another forum - Original Link

A live info stream. i type as i hear

Yes the game will have random environments, just like d2.

NEW
Random adventures.
The developers can now create limitless quests continuously and script in whatever they want.

They didn't explore the idea of other camera view because of the isometric feel of diablo.

They continued the curve of depth. When diablo 2 started it was easy and got super hard.
The developers told us that they are staying true to that.
They arn't going to talk about pvp much. ill update as it continues.

They used the word "massive" when discussing how they wanted battle.net to be. They made it to support massive battles.
This might lead to it being that next gen mmo

They noted Diablo 3 IS infact a "mouse killer"

The hotbar was implemented to promote diversity in gameplay, no more one skilling .well you can, but as it gets harder "you would want to use a more diverse set of skills"

Instead of just mass potting, you will use skills to give you time needed rather than potting. Another way to diversify

Althoguh not explained in the beginning, they just announced potions are in here.

They actually tried a shield system like halo but it slowed down the pace of the game to where people would want to stop and heal. They want the game to be really faced paced. "no down time" as they put it

Health globes will NOT be convenient, they put them there in the way so that you have to hack and slash your way to heals

The witchdoctor will be very diverse in that he will be great in combat and also will be a great support guy for healing if necessary

Monster section:

The skeleton shield guys show the great "synergies" the monsters can have with each other.
Also the shield brings in a different aspect that will promote skill diversity.

New role playing section
Long stories for the rpg kinda guy
Really cool quests
Everything they learned from d2 they will try to put in d3.
Adventures is the great new feature
They can put in a scripted adventure in different places throughout the world at their will
Personally i feel its a great combination with the random nature that kicks it up a notch and will define what it means to be D3

Conversation system section:
Character interaction will be better
The characters have a voice and can tell their own stories.
They want to bring the npc's to life and make it a lot more engaging

That is it for their panel and now come the questions
Question:
1.What will the group sizes be?
Can support a LOT of players on the technical side. But smaller groups tend towork better for the screen size. They want to focus on about 4 or 5 players per group.
2.Inventory size?
Havn't settled on a final size but they will improve the system and make trading easier and better
They are NOT using the same inventory system as in d2
3. Loot
Their loot system sucked and they wanted to impliment a new loot system that worked way better than in diablo 2
4. The witchdoctor does NOT replace the necromancer, but they didn't say if there would be a necromancer
5. The new battle.net is so improved and security is a big issue and intend for the new battle.net to able to stop such things as hacking etc

Did they release the date yet or no?

Wow... SC2, WOTLK, and now D3. Blizzard is hustling!

Did they release the date yet or no?

Wow... SC2, WOTLK, and now D3. Blizzard is hustling!

No, we probably won't get a date for a while. One of the devs was quoted saying they generally announce a game 1-1.5 years before launch but I would take that with a grain of salt.

Sigh, as usual people are crying to high heaven that there's "too much color." (on the b.net forums especially.) Why does every new game now have to look like someone put dirt, mud, and s&$! into a bucket and stirred? The game already is desaturated compared to what could LEGITIMATELY be called "bright and colorful", just not to the point of being an indistinct haze of grey and brown like Gears of War and everything else that's come out in the last couple of years.

"Dark" is a style, not having everything so toned down to shades of grey you can hardly make out what's on the screen.

Comparisons:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/Avrithor/D3colors.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/Avrithor/D3colors2.jpg

Two more years.. we'll likely see this as a follow up with story to d2, but it will be mainly meant as a fallout crusher, and we'll get a steam punk wow/d2 hybrid.

theres just two character classes? the barbarian and the witch doctor?

nvd read the faq

Gah, Blizzard, do you want to just come on over to my house and pick up the check? I've been waiting seven years since the release of Lord of Destruction add on expansion. Sign me up cause I'll play the $h1t out of this game. Woot!

Sigh, as usual people are crying to high heaven that there's "too much color." (on the b.net forums especially.) Why does every new game now have to look like someone put dirt, mud, and s&$! into a bucket and stirred? The game already is desaturated compared to what could LEGITIMATELY be called "bright and colorful", just not to the point of being an indistinct haze of grey and brown like Gears of War and everything else that's come out in the last couple of years.

"Dark" is a style, not having everything so toned down to shades of grey you can hardly make out what's on the screen.

Comparisons:

Did you even play Diablo?
Diablo 3 looks nothing like its predecessors. The problem I think 'we' are having is that D3 looks too much like WC3 or WoW. It has nothing to do with being dark or saturated. The textures look bland and undefined.

Go back and look at Diablo 2 or Diablo 1 and compare them to those D3 screenshots and it looks like a totally different game. This has nothing to do with modern games looking like shit (GoW is a good example) but the fact that they've ditched the Diablo visual style and threw it onboard the "WarCraft fantasy world" visual style.

Left = WoW.
Middle = WoW with darker textures.
Right = Diablo 1 & 2.

You can love it or hate it, but the fact is it looks like Warcraft and not Diablo.

The problem is, is that there not using sprites anymore. I guess we have to remember that this is almost 10 years in the future and were 10 years older, things have changed, and we have changed without knowing it. Us as Diablo fans are having a hard time letting go of the nostalgia that is Diablo, and having a hard time dealing with what has changed in the past 10 years. I think Blizzard will do there best to bring us D3 and try to rekindle those flames of yesteryear.

about damn time.

the gameplay looks good. i'm with UtopiA on the whole atmosphere of D3 looking like shit, aka. WarCraft fantasy. it just doesn't fit the game. they still have few more years to fix it. if they don't... oh well, it's not gonna stop me from playing it, but i probably won't enjoy it as much as i'd like to.

I think you guys are putting too much into the few minutes of gameplay we've been given thus far. I have a lot of trust that blizzard will still give us the darker, more gothic realms that we know and love.

Comparisons:

I'm pretty sick of the color palette that games are using now...I think another game developer was actually making fun of the grey color pallete

Just desaturate it in your graphics card settings. Problem solved. Or have someone write on of those pixelshader filters. :-p

(Really? That's what people talk about? Sheesh)

Just desaturate it in your graphics card settings. Problem solved. Or have someone write on of those pixelshader filters. :-p

(Really? That's what people talk about? Sheesh)
Nah, it's more of a graphics design issue than the fact that something is too bright or too dark.

Ya what are u people stupid ? You see a few minutes of a game thats 2 years out and just been announced and you think you know what its all about as far as the art direction is concerned ?

IMHO;

Gameplay: looked amazing so far. Does anyone know if its already running on DX10 ?
Art: Definitly inbetween the grity-ness of SC and the colorful world of WoW but with a more serious look to it. GG I love it so far, cant wait for more!

I have every Blizzard game ever made (call me a fan boy, I could care less) and I think so far, especially the zones outside, look incredible! They have a list of job openings still for this game...what you see here will undoubtably change. Wait till you see/experience the rest of the world inside D3 and I'm sure you'll find all your dark and gothic fantasies you'll need.

Anyway - Just stop crying so damn early and just be glad that its official now.

What i don't understand is why if it holds true, do they announce and show off the game so many of us are waiting for so far in advance. i would rather be kept in the dark about a game and when the announced it was 6 months away, not 2 years.

As far as the footage and what it shows off its looking great imo everything i would have expected, i think once we have running at super high res with AA/AF it will be amazing.

i am so happy now :)

i spent *hours* playing diablo 2 with my old flatmate over the lan.

this is great news \o/

just checked the gameplay demo... the game looks amazing. it seems they made tons of improvements over D2 while keeping the essence of the gameplay and the game itself intact.

looks great. i wouldn't be surprised if they released this on 6/29/10, exactly 10 years to the day after D2

Might as well have called it World Of Warcraft: Christian Mythology. Being the long time fan of Blizzard that I am, I'm absolutely disgusted by the games the new teams have put out since WC3.

I'm just glad the OP doesn't have to die in his sleep after having such a misleading topic name haha. Oh and im of course super pumped for D3. I played D2 and expansion for way too many hours and look forward to the same with this game in 2 years or whenever it actually comes out.

According to the Diablo 3 dev panel, D III has been in development for over 4 years.

Watch the video of the panel discussion here: http://www.incgamers.com/Videos/42/Diablo-3-Developer-Panel

It takes a while to load and is 52 minutes long! :eek:

And they said it's not close to being done yet :(

edit: the quote "Blizzard co-founder Frank Pearce was quick to add that, even after four years, “it’s far too early in development.”

Back