Official: Diablo 3 is Coming!

First image from blizzard.com: Some people speculated that the symbol is from Arthur's sword from Warcraft but others say that it's a Shael Rune from Diablo 2.
wwisplashb.jpg

However, just now, Blizzard updated the image and now it shows a Hel Rune from Diablo 2:
wwisplash2.jpg

Make no mistake, it's a Diablo game and I am willing to bet that it's Diablo 3.

Also, one interesting thing pointed out in another forum:

Shael=Shall
Hel=Hell
Next rune maybe = Fal =Fall

Hell Shall Fall.

Edit: The light in the middle got bigger in the second picture. Why would a dark game like Diablo 3 have so much light? One thing I want to point out is that it's rumored since 2005 that Diablo 3 would take place in Heaven, not Hell. At the end of Diablo 2, the worldstone is destroyed and the boundaries between the earth, heaven, and hell were broken.

I would say the first image looks more like the one on the sword, but the second one is no doubt the hel rune. Blizzard knows it would be completely retarded not to make a diablo 3, it will come.

Has anyone ever successfully predicted a Blizzard game prior to it's release? Just wondering.

That's so not official it's not even funny.

Speculation: Diablo 3 is Coming!

The next best thing besides the Hel Rune to announcing Diablo 3 would be actually announcing it.;)

But yea, it's Diablo 3 for sure.

I dont think its wotlk, they never do a splash for expansions. (None for brood, Frozen throne, etc).

When D3 hits: Unemployment rates will sky rocket in the US!
When SC2 hits: Korea will explode!

I can't wait for both of these beloved games.

Lets hope. I love that game, hopefully it comes out after I finish grad school though.

You guys are awfully optimistic seeing as how the Diablo developers don't even work at Blizzard any more... But feel free to chalk up my skepticism that Blizzard in its current form can release a decent game, I'm just a bitter ex-WoW player.

You guys are awfully optimistic seeing as how the Diablo developers don't even work at Blizzard any more... But feel free to chalk up my skepticism that Blizzard in its current form can release a decent game, I'm just a bitter ex-WoW player.

It's true, they don't. However, they did go on to release Hellgate : London which was a complete failure of a game.

Proof really that they weren't as much of a driving force behind the diablo series as they thought they were...

When D3 hits: Unemployment rates will sky rocket in the US!
When SC2 hits: Korea will explode!

I can't wait for both of these beloved games.

LMAO. I can't wait either but basing the possibility of Diablo 3 being announced because of a splash screen....that's a bit of a stretch for me, lol.

It's true, they don't. However, they did go on to release Hellgate : London which was a complete failure of a game.

Proof really that they weren't as much of a driving force behind the diablo series as they thought they were...

Truth. After I saw how bad HGL bombed I got excited that there might actually be a decent Diablo 3 :D

Did all the D3 devs leave? I know some of the key ones left and did hellgate but did all of them leave.

Anyhow the only official thing about this is blizzard put a pic on its web site.

Clearly good developers can't make anything but good games.

I'm not trying to defend H:L, but your argument is absurd.

no he has a point. LIke your post is saying just because the original developers wouldn't be on board doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean another team can't make the franchise just as good or even better (God of War 1 and 2 come to mind immediately).

This thread should be renamed and/or deleted!

"Official" indicates that the developers themselves have announced SOMETHING.

no he has a point. LIke your post is saying just because the original developers wouldn't be on board doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean another team can't make the franchise just as good or even better (God of War 1 and 2 come to mind immediately).

My first statement was MEANT to be equally as absurd as his.

Might want to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

The point I was making is that saying that given Diablo 1/2 being good, and H:G being bad, and therefore the H:G makers had to have had no effect on Diablo 1/2's quality is ridiculous.

I wasted countless hours on Diablo 2 Battle.net back in the day. I can honestly saw I hope this is Diablo 3.

Pentagon?

Come on...

Unless Starcraft2 has roots in symbolism and mythology all of the sudden.

Could it just be promo for the new WoW expansion or am I missing something?

Blizzard is the only company around keeping me interested in PC gaming and I don't even like Diablo. I'm eagerly anticipating WOTLK and Starcraft 2...hell I dont even play WoW but I still want to play the expansion.

No one said anything about SC2.

Method of elimination.

Blizzard has 3 franchises:

Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo

Warcraft universe is already getting ruined by WoW and soon WotLK so really the only two choices for blizzard are between Starcraft and Diablo, and with SC2 coming what would be the logical choice?

I don't think anyone is willing to bet they're going to try something else this time around without making that choice blatantly clear ahead of time.

Method of elimination.

Blizzard has 3 franchises:

Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo

Warcraft universe is already getting ruined by WoW and soon WotLK so really the only two choices for blizzard are between Starcraft and Diablo, and with SC2 coming what would be the logical choice?

I don't think anyone is willing to bet they're going to try something else this time around without making that choice blatantly clear ahead of time.
Exactly. With SC2 obviously coming why would they make a teaser page with Diablo 2 runes on it and red runic writing behind the ice? For SC2? No.

Could it just be promo for the new WoW expansion or am I missing something?

Yes. You don't know that PC Gamer and PC Action both hinted in their June issue that Diablo 3 is coming. You also don't know that the two runes on the picture are Diablo 2 runes, Shael and Hel.

It must be a WoW expansion because Blizzard never did a teaser for an expansion ever, Brood War, LoD, FT, Burning Crusade, WotLK.

Dude... Hellgate was reeeeally bad. :eek:

Honestly, I don't think it's too much of a strech to say that the final product of 'Diablo' was more than just a result of the work of the original Diablo developers that founded Flagship Studios (although I have no evidence of this so feel free to correct me if this is totally off).

Of course Hellgate is only one example to back this idea, but it was a pretty awesome example of how 'not' to make a good dungeon crawl / hack and slash game.

Wow, Blizzard's marketing team sure knows how to get the rumor mill going while doing very little.

Does anyone know what time these splash teasers get updated? I'd like to stay up to see, so long as it isnt something crazy like 5AM or they do it the middle of the day.

Back