Official Deus Ex: Human Revolution thread

DXHR for $36 if anyone is wanting to jump on board - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1632156

No kills doesn't mean stealth in DXHR, it can, but it doesn't have to. Like I mentioned earlier you can be quite heads on even when playing no kills.

Try using gas grenades, concussion grenades, PEP gun, Landing System stun and chaining takedowns/stunguns, you can actually directly assault multiple people. This game actually has quite a bit of "simulation" type aspects, I did a concussion grenade to takedown assault on a group of bad guys, reminded me of SWAT 4 almost.

The PEP gun is insane, I don't know if you've tried it. It goes through targets and has an AOE radius around the projectile you fire. I haven't used it in a direct combat situation, just a test though.

Thanks for the tips. So many different ways to do things. I love it. :)

I am freaking loving this game. However i have a major bugbear that really grips my shit. I've been using the tranq rifle (assumed the stun gun was a stun gun, not a tranq dart gun. Bit annoyed at that) and it really pisses me off that a massive dart full of sedatives can be conquered by walking up to the victim and saying "Hey, wake up". really annoying. Makes it so hard to tranq a room full of people.

I am freaking loving this game. However i have a major bugbear that really grips my shit. I've been using the tranq rifle (assumed the stun gun was a stun gun, not a tranq dart gun. Bit annoyed at that) and it really pisses me off that a massive dart full of sedatives can be conquered by walking up to the victim and saying "Hey, wake up". really annoying. Makes it so hard to tranq a room full of people.

Thats when you go around them all :)

I really feel the need to say that MLAA and FXAA are no replacement for MSAA. I guess that its more acceptable in this game since the textures are so shitty to begin with but still. This game made me remember why I hate MLAA. I hope that this doesn't become a trend.

I do love this game though.

The lack of a crosshair annoys me with the tranq gun too.

Anyone else having problems running the game in DX11? I get a crash to Windows almost every time I try to play in DX11. It's so bad and frequent that I have to play with DX11 turned off. With it off I have zero crashes, but the game stutters much worse. Can't win I guess, but it's not keeping me from playing. The game is too damn addictive.

Anyone else having problems running the game in DX11? I get a crash to Windows almost every time I try to play in DX11. It's so bad and frequent that I have to play with DX11 turned off. With it off I have zero crashes, but the game stutters much worse. Can't win I guess, but it's not keeping me from playing. The game is too damn addictive.

I have the same video set up as you and I have no problems since I loaded up 11.8 CAP #2.

Before I did that update I had one crash and poor frame rates.

Now the game is really smooth in DX11, > 60 FPS with everything max in 6050 x 1200 EF.:D

OK, I went ahead and splurged and got the game. Jesus, I am really impressed with the game, its got as much depth as I hoped it would. This reminds me so much of how awesome Mass Effect series is, and that's a good thing. At the start I was worried about consolitus, but those fears were for nothing. The company they got to optimize it on the PC did a good job. No buyers remorse here whatsoever :)

Beat the game a little while ago took ~27hrs to finish. The endings are pretty good. GOTY so far, by far.

I am really impressed at how much that little patch fixed the load times. Down from 20-30 seconds to what seems like 10.

Again, I am getting crashes almost instantly! I can't even play the game since I'm in China anymore, this is eternally frustrating. I don't know what to do.

You know what by far is the worst part of the game?

The akward "cool guy" arm cross during conversations.

"Sorry ma'am, but-(Cross arms and leans back)- your entire family is dead and I'm so sorry."

Anyone having issues installing Deus Ex from retail?

I got my code through Greenman Gaming and had no issues, but my brother got it from Walmart and when he enters the cdkey it says to "please register the original product" or something.

NVM, my brother was an idiot and kept entering the wrong codes. lol

Last edited:
I'm 5 hours in and this is incredible. GOTY and I'm not sure anything to come out the rest of this year will touch it.

Hi guys, I just bought this game $35 off Amazon.com

and uhh, i am excite

downloading now 58 percent thru, that is all, carry on.

Alright, I finished the game!

I made a saved game point right at the end, so I could see the outcome of each choice hehe.

Make sure to stay through the credits, there is a nugget at the end.

Overall, really fun game, I had a lot of fun, and still didn't explore the world in its entirety, there is much more I could have done, its a very immerse experience. Loved the game, good stuff, our gameplay performance eval will rock.

Give this game an A+, I'd be down with GOTY.

started up the game...the game feels like a Deus Ex game and that's the ultimate compliment...love the cover system (much better then Gears of War or any other cover based game I've played)...I love playing as a stealth character and trying not to be detected by the enemies...much more fun then just going in shooting (plus I hear you get more XP points by avoiding fights)...I'm playing at 1920 x 1200 with all advanced graphics options on their highest settings...graphics are not Crysis or anything but they look fine because the gameworld and story make up for it...tessellation on the characters does look pretty good though

augmentation list looks to be pretty decent with many upgrade paths...this should be fun!

I made a saved game point right at the end, so I could see the outcome of each choice hehe.

Overall, really fun game, I had a lot of fun, and still didn't explore the world in its entirety, there is much more I could have done, its a very immerse experience. Loved the game, good stuff, our gameplay performance eval will rock.

Well shit, that makes me feel a LOT better about my purchase, I'm gonna immerse myself in this game all weekend.

The only part of this block that bothers me is the save to see the different endings.. it would have been cooler if there was some choice you made near the beginning or the middle of the game that had an impact on what endings were possible.. maybe I'm reading too much into it.. I only just got to Heng Sha myself..

The only part of this block that bothers me is the save to see the different endings.. it would have been cooler if there was some choice you made near the beginning or the middle of the game that had an impact on what endings were possible.. maybe I'm reading too much into it.. I only just got to Heng Sha myself..

There is stuff that happens along the way, that may make you feel that one choice is better than the other, by the time you get to the end. You may be sympathetic to certain people in the game, their cause, or not.

Got me a solid run-through now to use for FRAPs runs, so expect to see this game used in all reviews from here on out.

Always loved this aspect of Deus Ex, the boxes are so useful and fun. Here is a "creative" solution to cameras -

UltimatumGameKeys has Deus Ex Human Revolution for 25$ (VPN activation for free)
http://www.ultimatumgamekeys.com/

found out about them from facepunch
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1114415-Ultimatum-Games-Great-Games-Better-Prices

Fuck me, nice find. I could have saved $15 with Deus Ex too if I had waited for this reply to this thread.

Having said that I was afraid of their legitimacy but reading through that thread sort of warmed me and I will buy some games from them next week. I am worried though that if in the future it is found out that they get their keys from illegal ways and Steam goes through one of the rumored banning waves all because I choose to by from one of these sites that might not be 100% legit when I bought the game. Would hate to see my 100+ games on my account banned over something like this. This is all conjecture of course, but I am cautious when giving a new company my business.

I'm easily with Brent and some others. My GOTY all the way so far.

I'm 5 hours in and this is incredible. GOTY and I'm not sure anything to come out the rest of this year will touch it.

I honestly and very seriously doubt it.

Maybe we'll see a game or two that have comparable quality and are awesome in different ways but I don't see something coming out that's outright better than this game is.

I ended up turning off DX11, SSAO, DOF, VSYNC, and tesselation just to get what feels like a responsive mouse. Framerate was fine with all of those options but it felt like was playing in a bowl of soup. I don't know what the issue is but considering how visually unimpressive this game is, I don't feel like it should be so laggy on a 5850.

Turned off AA too, but that's just because all the options look like ass anyway.

Maybe I just lack the nostalgia that some have (never played the original) but so far this game just feels like a bastardized mashup of HL2 (graphics), Fallout 3 (interface/physics), and Mass Effect (interactions)

/dons flamesuit

it's GOTY so far...but with RAGE, Arkham Asylum and especially Skyrim on the way I wouldn't bet on it staying that way

I ended up turning off DX11, SSAO, DOF, VSYNC, and tesselation just to get what feels like a responsive mouse. Framerate was fine with all of those options but it felt like was playing in a bowl of soup. I don't know what the issue is but considering how visually unimpressive this game is, I don't feel like it should be so laggy on a 5850.

Vsync should be off. The rest of that stuff you should be able to keep on and probably maxed out or close to it.

The game looks damned impressive to me maxed out. Does it look like Witcher 2? No.

Turned off AA too, but that's just because all the options look like ass anyway.

Not my experience at all.

Maybe I just lack the nostalgia that some have (never played the original) but so far this game just feels like a bastardized mashup of HL2 (graphics), Fallout 3 (interface/physics), and Mass Effect (interactions)

/dons flamesuit

I'd be interested to know what the rest of your hardware is. The 5850 is a pretty solid GPU. I would think you'd be able to max out or pretty damned close to it.

Off the top of my head: Wasn't there some problem(s) that AMD/ATI GPU people were having with this game?

They sent out a patch to fix the mouse problem. That was either yesterday or two days ago now.

Turn the goodies back on, turn off vsync, maybe make a little DPI and mouse sensitivity adjustment in the menu and you really should be good to go.

it's GOTY so far...but with RAGE, Arkham Asylum and especially Skyrim on the way I wouldn't bet on it staying that way

I expect at least one of those to go back to my earlier point about equally great games in different ways.

Still lots to look forward to for sure. :)

Vsync should be off. The rest of that stuff you should be able to keep on and probably maxed out or close to it.

The game looks damned impressive to me maxed out. Does it look like Witcher 2? No.

Different strokes and all that :) It doesn't look terrible, but I can name a lot of older games that look better to my eyes.

Not my experience at all.

Which AA mode are you using? They all look awful to me. Way too many missed edges. At least with AA off, the aliasing is universal and your brain just sort of tunes it out.

I'd be interested to know what the rest of your hardware is. The 5850 is a pretty solid GPU. I would think you'd be able to max out or pretty damned close to it.

2600K, X25-M. Like I said, it's not the framerate - that's fine - it just feels like there is a ton of lag moving around.

Off the top of my head: Wasn't there some problem(s) that AMD/ATI GPU people were having with this game?

They sent out a patch to fix the mouse problem. That was either yesterday or two days ago now.

Not sure but I did receive the patch you mentioned when I started up Steam this morning.

Turn the goodies back on, turn off vsync, maybe make a little DPI and mouse sensitivity adjustment in the menu and you really should be good to go.

I'll try messing around with these, thanks.

I know it came out very early in 2011 but Dead Space 2 was a very, very good game as well...people seem to forget games that come out early in the calendar year but DS2 was excellent

I know it came out very early in 2011 but Dead Space 2 was a very, very good game as well...people seem to forget games that come out early in the calendar year but DS2 was excellent

It was a nice start to the year to be sure.

Different strokes and all that :) It doesn't look terrible, but I can name a lot of older games that look better to my eyes.

Fair enough. :)

Which AA mode are you using? They all look awful to me. Way too many missed edges. At least with AA off, the aliasing is universal and your brain just sort of tunes it out.

Maxed out FXAA although I'm keeping this in mind: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037683668&postcount=149

Their take on this game is worth keeping an eye on if you haven't kept tabs on it. :)

2600K, X25-M. Like I said, it's not the framerate - that's fine - it just feels like there is a ton of lag moving around.

Not sure but I did receive the patch you mentioned when I started up Steam this morning.

That's the mouse patch. :)

I'll try messing around with these, thanks.

Hope it works out and you can enjoy the game more. :)

Back