Official Deus Ex: Human Revolution thread

Is new game+ forever repeatable or just 1 time only?

Haven't actually started a play through yet although it has been downloaded/installed since day 1.

I can 100% verify that the in-game vsync and the one in the Nvidia panel work differently in the Director's Cut. The Nvidia one gives me good performance and the in-game one bogs down whenever I look around with the mouse.

People have posted that earlier versions of the original game also had similar issues, so I think the rumor that the DC is based on an old version of the game might be true.

I can 100% verify that the in-game vsync and the one in the Nvidia panel work differently in the Director's Cut. The Nvidia one gives me good performance and the in-game one bogs down whenever I look around with the mouse.

People have posted that earlier versions of the original game also had similar issues, so I think the rumor that the DC is based on an old version of the game might be true.

That would be very sad news indeed.

Still no comment from Eidos?

edit: all i can see on their forums is that they're gathering information through Moderators and are passing on to QA.

Hopefully we'll get some patches eventually. I can wait.

Last edited:
The "AllowJobStealing" registry entry setting seems to fix their in-game implementation of vsync.

I played the intro last night up until the surgery where I'm augmented and it played great for me with everything maxxed out including vsync. Textures look a little more polished but other than that, they are starting to show their age. Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing this some more and I hope I'm not disappointed.

Man, that registry entry name sounds so awesome.

TfTPhfV.jpg

Have they addressed these old bugs that have cropped up in the directors cut with a patch? Not going to buy this game if the quality is worse than that of the vanilla version which they don't even sell anymore.

It seems like they might have been better off leaving the game as is. Re releasing a broken version with more content is not a good plan.

I'm surprised at all of the issues that are popping up. I bought the game 2 days ago and couldn't get the Smartglass functionality to work (I'm playing on the 360). A few google searches later revealed to me how many problems they are having.

I hope they fix these problems soon.

I already bought it, though i wasn't planning on playing it any time soon. Hopefully by the time i want to they'll have a patch or two out.

Does anyone know if the inventory mods from previous versions work with this DC?

Forum response suggests there will be a patch including adding companion screen functionality to the PC

As someone who bought this game when it was new at retail and beat it 3X over.. What is your opinion on upgrading to the directors cut? Is the refresh worth the $10? I love the hell out of this game and one of the few I've gone back to for a 3rd run through so I'd appreciate any feedback on this. The non-stupid boss battles has me intrigued..

As someone who bought this game when it was new at retail and beat it 3X over.. What is your opinion on upgrading to the directors cut? Is the refresh worth the $10? I love the hell out of this game and one of the few I've gone back to for a 3rd run through so I'd appreciate any feedback on this. The non-stupid boss battles has me intrigued..

Yes.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=140084

Second-screen looks a like a feature Intel is pushing to help showcase their tech.

As for other issues responses were they were looking into or it has been fixed (I assume internally at this point since no actual patch or fix was listed).

Also there have been other mentions of issues being looked at and will be resolved -
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1958390&postcount=27

I actually still haven't started playing the DC version yet, even though I bought it first day, holding off for patch(es) after I heard some of the issues mentioned.

Are there any patch notes? Hopefully, we fixed every bug that was originally fixed, but reintroduced and something about the textures being horrible.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=140084

The first patch for the Director's Cut has gone live!

Among the issues addressed in this first patch:

AI-related bug fixes.
The bug causing disappearing personality dialogs in the Chase & Chet Wagner conversations has been fixed.
Miscellaneous fixes for a Sarif conversation when using pheromones.
Texture issues in Sarif HQ, Detroit, Hengsha and TYM have been fixed.
Texture tiling issues in Adam's apartment and other parts of Detroit have been fixed.
Issues relating to sounds becoming 'stuck' have been fixed.
A bug that could cause music to not play during the "walk and talk" intro sequence has been fixed.
Audio glitches between level loads have been fixed.
A bug causing the "incoming commentary" trigger to activate when the commentary system is disabled has been fixed.
A bug causing music to stall when alt-tabbing has been fixed.
A setup dialogue allowing changes outside the game has been added.
Text-language selection option has been added/fixed.
Issues with language-switching not functioning properly have been addressed.
Some performance optimizations have been added.

More on the way, but that does it for now.

By the way even though the update is only 2.1gb in size you need 17.6gb of freespace for Steam to download and apply it. Took me a bit to figure out what the issue was.

I’m now playing the game and having fun with it. It isn’t mind-blowing, but it’s fun. There’s a little bit of Bethesda-like “openness” to it, but not so much that the main plot loses meaning.
Performance is still odd. Like seemingly every first-gen DX11 game, steam/smoke effects cause issues. It supposedly stays at 60fps (per Afterburner) but visually it gets a little choppy at times. Plus, it seems like they re-load those smoke/steam effect when you enter new sections. Most of that time it involves a door or new area, but sometimes it’s simply just walking down an alley or turning a corner. I have a SSD, so I’m curious if the game full-on pauses if you have a spinning disk. Not a game breaking gripe, but a definite annoyance.

So far I’ve been boosting my hacking ability and my inventory. I just maxed them out last night while completing the first two optional quests. I figure I’ll start looking at the stuff that increases my health next.
Other than getting bonus XP or enjoying pacifism, is there a good reason not to use all of these cool weapons I’ve found? I’m generally not a big fan of sneaking if I’m capable of winning a shootout.

Other than getting bonus XP or enjoying pacifism, is there a good reason not to use all of these cool weapons I’ve found? I’m generally not a big fan of sneaking if I’m capable of winning a shootout.

Based on my experience playing the game, I'd say that you might be missing out by not mixing in at least a little stealth gameplay. Running and gunning in Deus Ex can be fun (or at least not always resorting to takedowns), but the game developers have set up a lot of clever ways for you to accomplish your objective, and you feel like more of a badass when you do it creatively.

I felt like Dishonored and the latest Hitman really punished you for not going stealth all the time, and it was really grating. Deus Ex: HR felt different in a good way. That said, if you play it like it's Unreal Tournament, then you'll blast through the story really quickly, missing out on a lot of satisfying gameplay.

I'm definitely not playing like Rambo and I do tend to use a bit of stealth, I just don't want to be in a situation (like Dishonored) where they give you a boatload of awesome weapons and powers but they game doesn't seem to want you to use them. Plus, I'm seemingly always out of stun darts.

I'm definitely not playing like Rambo and I do tend to use a bit of stealth, I just don't want to be in a situation (like Dishonored) where they give you a boatload of awesome weapons and powers but they game doesn't seem to want you to use them. Plus, I'm seemingly always out of stun darts.

I agree, Dishonored really screwed that up. They gave you a huge pile of fun stuff, but punished you for using them.

P.S. I was like 20 hours into the game before I figured out that I could add attachments to my weapons. The pistol in Deus Ex: HR was a lot of fun with a laser sight, silencer, etc.

I’m now playing the game and having fun with it. It isn’t mind-blowing, but it’s fun. There’s a little bit of Bethesda-like “openness” to it, but not so much that the main plot loses meaning.
Performance is still odd. Like seemingly every first-gen DX11 game, steam/smoke effects cause issues. It supposedly stays at 60fps (per Afterburner) but visually it gets a little choppy at times. Plus, it seems like they re-load those smoke/steam effect when you enter new sections. Most of that time it involves a door or new area, but sometimes it’s simply just walking down an alley or turning a corner. I have a SSD, so I’m curious if the game full-on pauses if you have a spinning disk. Not a game breaking gripe, but a definite annoyance.
Yea this game's always done that to me. Stutters here and there on smoke effects. Wish there was a fix, but Eidos didn't do anything to help the community support their game.
So far I’ve been boosting my hacking ability and my inventory. I just maxed them out last night while completing the first two optional quests. I figure I’ll start looking at the stuff that increases my health next.
The only thing I'm aware of is achievements. You get plenty of XP anyway to have all the important augmentations, so just play how you want to play. i always do a mix of stealth/guns blazing in DX games just because explosives are too much fun.

Also, the hacking augmentations are pretty crappy (except for the ones which make you able to hack higher level panels). I've played through this game a few times and without getting any hacking augments I never had to skip anything and had viruses coming out my ears.

Has anyone gone full hacking? Is there a benefit I'm unaware of?

How ironic this thread pop up again after I started a new game last night :p
I'm trying to actually play the game through this time. I bought the Director's Cut during Christmas, had the original since release and never finished it, but never got around to playing till now.
I got used to Dishonored and this plays nothing like that, so it took a little adjusting, but I'm getting the hang of the takedowns again. Enemies can see like real people, instead of cone vision, so sneaking around is more challenging too.
This game is a great time. I hope the different boss battles make a difference. I quit the first version after the "Bull" fight and never picked it back up. So far, so good.

I've been marathoning this game over the last few days. IMO, it's a prime example of a game that doesn't begin well. The early areas are actually just as hard (if not harder) than ones much much later. You're fighting the same enemies while still learning the game mechanics and using underpowered weapons.
I always find it weird when games do that.

Still, once you get to explore Detroit, things open up a lot. Right now I'm finishing up my second trip to China.

Not sure what they bosses were like before, but those fights are still disjointed. You're just having a shootout with enemies that take a lot of damage. There are ways to let the environment help you, but I've just gunned them down so far. Revolver with explosive ammo, laser sight, damage boost, and expanded capacity FTW.

I've been marathoning this game over the last few days. IMO, it's a prime example of a game that doesn't begin well. The early areas are actually just as hard (if not harder) than ones much much later. You're fighting the same enemies while still learning the game mechanics and using underpowered weapons.
I always find it weird when games do that.

Still, once you get to explore Detroit, things open up a lot. Right now I'm finishing up my second trip to China.

Not sure what they bosses were like before, but those fights are still disjointed. You're just having a shootout with enemies that take a lot of damage. There are ways to let the environment help you, but I've just gunned them down so far. Revolver with explosive ammo, laser sight, damage boost, and expanded capacity FTW.

Yea the difficulty curve is definitely off. I think they wanted you to feel like you were becoming more and more 'above human' as you augmented your body throughout the game.

So, I started messing around this the Director's Cut last night. Either my GTX580 vs my old 460 was a huge difference, or they severely optimiazed the game. Maybe both lol

I have everything maxed now still at 60fps, whereas before i had to turn many things down. I also have the game on an SSD now whereas before I did not.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in AI? Even in the vary beginning where you're human, the enemies seemed a lot smarter than they used to be. Maybe it's just been awhile.

So, I started messing around this the Director's Cut last night. Either my GTX580 vs my old 460 was a huge difference, or they severely optimiazed the game. Maybe both lol

I have everything maxed now still at 60fps, whereas before i had to turn many things down. I also have the game on an SSD now whereas before I did not.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in AI? Even in the vary beginning where you're human, the enemies seemed a lot smarter than they used to be. Maybe it's just been awhile.

I don't remember the original version, but I cannot sneak around without being completely out of view. I think the enemies can see you much better in this version, but that could have been me just being used to how easy Dishonored was before jumping into this game.

I found a boss fight flaw.
The Fedorova fight, the only way to win the battle if you are sneaking around is to have the auto turret skill, or you have no way of fighting back, other than the junk in the lockers. And of course the perfect weapon for that fight (stun gun) isn't in any of the lockers, so if you dropped it or whatever(which I did before the save point, for the stupid shit rifle), you are screwed.

I don't remember the original version, but I cannot sneak around without being completely out of view. I think the enemies can see you much better in this version, but that could have been me just being used to how easy Dishonored was before jumping into this game.

I found a boss fight flaw.
The Fedorova fight, the only way to win the battle if you are sneaking around is to have the auto turret skill, or you have no way of fighting back, other than the junk in the lockers. And of course the perfect weapon for that fight (stun gun) isn't in any of the lockers, so if you dropped it or whatever(which I did before the save point, for the stupid shit rifle), you are screwed.

Yea their detection definitely seems better. Also, they seem to pursue more intelligently.

Did you have to load an old save to beat her? or did you just power through with what you had?

Yea their detection definitely seems better. Also, they seem to pursue more intelligently.

Did you have to load an old save to beat her? or did you just power through with what you had?

No, I stopped last thursday.
The previous save is all the way back after beating Barrett.......Hours ago......
Why did I trade my stun gun for that shitty rifle? and the auto save is right as she starts running after you....... Gah. I've taken a few different approaches, but damn she has too much life and she destorys me with that claymore attack, since I put no points in the armor. (If I'm next to the generators, insta death)

But that auto turret skill. If I only knew I needed it, I would be past her, but noooooooooo......... *sigh* I'm gonna go at it again later. I'm gonna try luring her with mines and see how that works.

Yea that's rough. Good luck man.

I remember using lots of mines on her during my first playthrough--should work. No EMP grenades?

I think 2.
But there are 3 more in the lockers, plus the mines. If I stick the mines in the hall way she should run right into them. I did find the secret wall up top, so that was helpful in running away.

So annoying to have max hack skill, but I cant hack the turrets...... :mad:

Do you not have any weapons at all?

I know on my first play through (highest difficulty as well) I did a stealth build first (I don't think I added any to armor until the very end of the game) but I did have the pistol with me. I was able to kill her although I don't remember what I did exactly.

Did you try using the generators against her?

Pretty sure in the original game (not DC) I just carried a maxed-out revolver at all times to blast the bosses to death quickly, lol.

I think I'm going to go ahead and finish this game. I got to some boss before and didn't even own a gun. Needless to say I wasn't amused. ;) Thief is already preloaded so this will be a nice warmup for that.

Back