Official Dell 2707WFP Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Not sure if this has been answered or not....

Does VGA accept 1080p? Im planning to hook up a XBox 360 via VGA.

Thx
Frag

Where have all the owner of the Dell 2707WFP go? Enjoying their new display too much? :eek: All I want to know really, is about the pixel scretch and if it grainy in everyday use especially in movies and games. Sorry to repeat myself, but I'm planning to get it in the next fews more week and need all the input on it I can get. And do you suggest getting it on eBay? It is trusthworthy, it seam valid and cheaper too $1000 ship!

Yes i would like to know as well.
It just doesn't make any sense why a computer monitor does not allow full resolution under VGA input.
It does accept full resolution, which is 1920 by 1200. 1080p is different, though I think it's strange they wouldn't support this, given that a lot of people might want to hook up their XBox 360s this way.

Bump

If folks who have access to this monitor could make an educated guess how thick is the LCD panel's edge under the bezel, I would most appreciate it.

Alex

Folks, I am looking into having this monitor installed flush in a wall (panel directly), and would appreciate if somebody knew the thickness of the panel around the edge. Samsung's LTM270M1 panel page linked below only gives the max depth, which is 41.6mm. However this is presumably in the thickest place in the middle where all the chips and sockets are.

If somebody could point me to the panel's drawing or measure their monitor's plastic bezel thickness at the edge and make an educated guess how thick the panel underneath would be, it would really help me.

Thanks!

Alex

Velocities,

I have owned this monitor for one month. It is not grainy at all. It is very crisp and sharp. Pictures, video, and games look amazing. The text size is much more comfortable for my eyes. I have no regrets. I would by it again. I bought mine from Dell for $1259.

Velocities,

I have owned this monitor for one month. It is not grainy at all. It is very crisp and sharp. Pictures, video, and games look amazing. The text size is much more comfortable for my eyes. I have no regrets. I would by it again. I bought mine from Dell for $1259.

Hi,

do you notice any input lag and what about ghosting / blurring / smearing in first-person-shooter-games???

Does the TFT make any noticable noise?

Greetings

Mario

Velocities,

Word!

Hi,

do you notice any input lag and what about ghosting / blurring / smearing in first-person-shooter-games???

Does the TFT make any noticable noise?

Greetings

Mario

I don’t notice any input lag. You need to wait for someone to test it. I could notice it on the 2405 but I don’t seem to on the 2707. There is some blurring but I have not seen an LCD with out any. It’s not like the early days when I fist saw notebooks with LCDs and it was like they had mouse trails turned on. :) I play lots of CS:S and Battlefield and don’t notice any while playing. I did not see any while playing on the 2405 either and the 2707 is faster. I can see it if I set there and look for it but not while playing. Wave your hand in from of your face. Is it crystal clear or do you see motion blur? :) Most of the LCDs these days are good enough for me in this regard. Don’t get me wrong. I can’t wait for SED or OLED that has no ghosting or blur but it good enough and the other benefits of LCD outweigh anything else that is out right now.

I don’t hear any noise from them. I’ve never had a noisy LCD. I’ve had noisy CRTs.

Any stuck/dead pixels? What about back light bleed?

Thanks!

No dead stuck pixels though I've not run the test patterns. Back light bleed is just as bad as any other new LCD maybe more uniform than my 2405. One of the two takes much longer to warm up and is noticeably dark in the middle until it has wormed up all the way.

No dead stuck pixels though I've not run the test patterns. Back light bleed is just as bad as any other new LCD maybe more uniform than my 2405. One of the two takes much longer to warm up and is noticeably dark in the middle until it has wormed up all the way.

There is definitely zero back light bleeding on my 2707WFP - none in the corners or edges, at all. How bad is your back light bleeding?

There is definitely zero back light bleeding on my 2707WFP - none in the corners or edges, at all. How bad is your back light bleeding?

You’re right. My definition of backlight bleed is a little different than most. Most folks talking about backlight bleeding in the forums are concerned with uniformity. I did say it was more uniform. With the backlight on and all the elements off (all black screen) there is still quite a bit of light coming through but no hot spots or what have you. LCD manufactures keep claming blacker blacks but so far all I’ve seen is that they keep increasing the brightness to mask the issue or claim better contrast numbers but with LCD if the backlight is on and all the elements are off you’ve got yourself a nice dark grey nightlight. :)

There is no ghosting or blurring in games. It looks excellent.

I have to say that while it looks good and I don’t notice it, it is there. I just got used to it. If I watch my mouse pointer text in windows while I drag them around the screen it defiantly there. It’s on par with any LCD I’ve seen just don’t try to tell someone that has a CRT and is not used many LCDs that they’ll not see any lag.

You’re right. My definition of backlight bleed is a little different than most. Most folks talking about backlight bleeding in the forums are concerned with uniformity. I did say it was more uniform. With the backlight on and all the elements off (all black screen) there is still quite a bit of light coming through but no hot spots or what have you. LCD manufactures keep claming blacker blacks but so far all I’ve seen is that they keep increasing the brightness to mask the issue or claim better contrast numbers but with LCD if the backlight is on and all the elements are off you’ve got yourself a nice dark grey nightlight. :)

Yeah, i don't think you will be able to get pitch black unless you go for SED or laser.

Does anyone know what panel the Dell 2707WFP use? Also, should I be worried about the dot pitch .30 compare to the Dell 2407wfp where it's .27 dot pitch? Is the increased in dot pitch noticible? I'm planning to use this display mainly for watching movies, play games and Internet surfing. Based on some of the user opinion on here about the display, I have decided to order one. It come next weeks. I can't wait to open it and replace my old CRT.

Any issues with the slightly larger Pixel Pitch? 0.303 vs 0.270, 27" vs 24"

I've currently got the Dell 30" (Non HC version) and the ghosting from the lower gtg response time just isn't sitting well with me. (11ms vs 6ms on the 24").

I don’t notice any input lag. You need to wait for someone to test it. I could notice it on the 2405 but I don’t seem to on the 2707. There is some blurring but I have not seen an LCD with out any. It’s not like the early days when I fist saw notebooks with LCDs and it was like they had mouse trails turned on. :) I play lots of CS:S and Battlefield and don’t notice any while playing. I did not see any while playing on the 2405 either and the 2707 is faster. I can see it if I set there and look for it but not while playing. Wave your hand in from of your face. Is it crystal clear or do you see motion blur? :) Most of the LCDs these days are good enough for me in this regard. Don’t get me wrong. I can’t wait for SED or OLED that has no ghosting or blur but it good enough and the other benefits of LCD outweigh anything else that is out right now.

I don’t hear any noise from them. I’ve never had a noisy LCD. I’ve had noisy CRTs.

I noticed earlier in the thread that u said inputlag couldnt b tested - ur wrong about that.... All u need is a crt monitor and a camera - and a timer-app aswell...
Simply run the timer on both screens (clone-setup - only 1 timer) and then take a photo - the difference in display-time can be read from accuretly the photo...

u can dl a good timer-app as .exe or run it from html at this url: http://www.flatpanels.dk/monitortest_inputlag_dk.php

Im hoping u see this poat and post the result when u have it - im a potential buyer of the 27"'er :D

I noticed earlier in the thread that u said inputlag couldnt b tested - ur wrong about that.... All u need is a crt monitor and a camera - and a timer-app aswell...
Simply run the timer on both screens (clone-setup - only 1 timer) and then take a photo - the difference in display-time can be read from accuretly the photo...

u can dl a good timer-app as .exe or run it from html at this url: http://www.flatpanels.dk/monitortest_inputlag_dk.php

Im hoping u see this poat and post the result when u have it - im a potential buyer of the 27"'er :D

You don´t even need a crt with stopwatch to test it. You only need a second TFT without Overdrive (because of the existing input-lag) in dual-screen-mode. Then you enlarge your desktop on both screens and use a small window (e.g. calculator) and move it up and down in the middle between the screens, so that one half is visible on one screen and the other half is visible on the other sceen. If you move it fast you can see a noticable difference between the reaction-time of both screens.

Greetings

Mario

Did I say that it could not be tested? Sorry. I have tested in the fashion that you described on my 2405 but testing that way is inconclusive. I even posted pics someplace. I’d want the DVI signal split with the exact same data stream going to each display and then also a better camera then I now have. I was able to split the composite video signal to my old TV the 2005 and the 2405 and then them DVI to the 2405. The DVI was faster than the composite but slower than the TV. With out knowing the exact inner workings of the video card I don’t trust that the out put from the card is the same to begin with. I may try with my new setup just for the heck of it but I’ve not much free time at home.

You don´t even need a crt with stopwatch to test it. You only need a second TFT without Overdrive (because of the existing input-lag) in dual-screen-mode. Then you enlarge your desktop on both screens and use a small window (e.g. calculator) and move it up and down in the middle between the screens, so that one half is visible on one screen and the other half is visible on the other sceen. If you move it fast you can see a noticable difference between the reaction-time of both screens.

Greetings

Mario

That’s just as likely to be a difference in the way the video card draws the two displays. I can see a difference with two identical displays doing just what you describe. Setting in my office right now I have two 2007s and one is just behind the other doing this kind of test.

That’s just as likely to be a difference in the way the video card draws the two displays. I can see a difference with two identical displays doing just what you describe. Setting in my office right now I have two 2007s and one is just behind the other doing this kind of test.

ok... then the gfx card is definitly a factor...thx for the help anyway - and gratz on ur 27" monitors :D

Well, just because you have two of the same model doesn't necessarily mean that they perform identically -- there's always some variance in quality during production (not to mention that Dell ships different revisions and even different panels inside the same model, not sure if you've checked on this). Though I agree that it's unlikely that you would notice any drastic difference between the two. That said, a pretty simple test would be to simply swap the monitors (i.e. plug monitor 1 into the second DVI and monitor 2 into the first DVI) and then repeat your tests. This way, you can see if the delay is consistent with the input or with a particular monitor.

I do agree with you, though, that an extended desktop is probably not a good way to test lag. I'd think it would be much better to use a timer app and then duplicate the image on both monitors.

Well, just because you have two of the same model doesn't necessarily mean that they perform identically -- there's always some variance in quality during production (not to mention that Dell ships different revisions and even different panels inside the same model, not sure if you've checked on this). Though I agree that it's unlikely that you would notice any drastic difference between the two. That said, a pretty simple test would be to simply swap the monitors (i.e. plug monitor 1 into the second DVI and monitor 2 into the first DVI) and then repeat your tests. This way, you can see if the delay is consistent with the input or with a particular monitor.

I do agree with you, though, that an extended desktop is probably not a good way to test lag. I'd think it would be much better to use a timer app and then duplicate the image on both monitors.

Yes but I can swap them and see (oh you even mention that :) ) that the delay follows the port and not the display. While not imposable it’s real difficult to imagine two bought at the same time having enough difference that I can see it with me own eye. I’ve just upgraded my desktop at work and the old system with an ATI card and 2 19” Dell LCDs did the same thing as the new system with a new ATI card and two new 2007s that I’m looking at now. I have not swapped the cables on these but I feel good about what the outcome would be.

So, I’d not be happy until I have a split signal to two or more displays and a real fast hi speed video camera. Like on MythBusters. Maybe we can write into them. My digital still camera is to slow and the number read out from the timer is blurred making it that much harder to tell what is up.

Hay, maybe we can right into them.

we need some fake myth then.... wouldnt b the 1. time they've dealt with fake myths (or made myths up)... I dont think input lag and explosions go hand in hand though :/

we need some fake myth then.... wouldnt b the 1. time they've dealt with fake myths (or made myths up)... I dont think input lag and explosions go hand in hand though :/

Yes, I guess we need a tech or consumer fraud kinda show. I think that’s the problem. They work and 95% of the people buying them don’t notice the input lag. I’ve only really seen it talked about on a few tech shows that talk about some HDTVs that have really bad input lag. I haven’t even seen a site like Toms Hardware test it out.

Everyone say its grainy on Dell website, also I'm a bit worried about the pixel scretch. Now I don't know if it's a good ideas when I decided to go for it. Also, I bought it on eBay so I can't return it if it turn out not so good.:( Maybe some can compare this with the 30 inch Dell one?

Hey Velocities,

Could you please let me know how bad it is when you get your monitor? I am wondering if it is THAT bad or if people are just being too picky. I'm still debating between the BenQ FP241W and this baby!

Thank you,

Everyone say its grainy on Dell website, also I'm a bit worried about the pixel scretch. Now I don't know if it's a good ideas when I decided to go for it. Also, I bought it on eBay so I can't return it if it turn out not so good.:( Maybe some can compare this with the 30 inch Dell one?

Yes please let us know... Also I feel it would be unfair to compare this monitor to the 30inch from Dell or HP only because they have a much higher resolution... I think it would be more fair to compare this monitor to the Westinghouse 37 inch Monitor... Since 1920x1080 is around the same ball park as the 1920x1200 resolution... People enjoy that monitor despite its size and pixel pitch... So I would say you may not have anything to worry about, some use these monitors for professional use and they are very picky about the pixel pitch which is where most are going to refer any possible grainyness towards...

Though I would like a comparison of this monitor vs. the NEC 2960, I am close to pulling the trigger on the NEC if Samsung doesn't get their game on and release their 27 incher.

It no grainy! I don't know what they are seeing but I don't see. I have two, they look great. I had a 2405 for a year or so and I think the 2707 looks way better. Full screen DVDs and HD video looks better than any other LCD that I've used.

"pixel scretch" ??? They are just a little bigger. I don't know what to say CS:S and other games look great also. Better than on the 2405 I still have.

IT IS NOT GRAINY!!!!!!!! I love mine. I also don't get all of the grainy comments. I upgraded from a Sony SDM-P234 23" 1920X1200. It is every bit as sharp as that one. I bet 90% of the grainy comments are coming from people who have not actually even seen the monitor.

I bet 90% of the grainy comments are coming from people who have not actually even seen the monitor.

GreenGoose, I bet you are right. A lot of people who think they are professional user like to comment on product where they not actually even own or test it out yet. They just see the spec and assume stuff like that. I wish people wouldn't do that. :eek:
People who comments stuff like this monitor is for the blind and old make me sick! For me 1920 X 1200 is an excellent resolution because I can read stuff on web page easily, I feel gaming with resolution of 1920 x 1200 will already look amazing because I can max everything out without being slow down.

Mine will come this Monday. I got a pretty sweet deal on it, less then 1k with 4 years Warranty. Can't wait to unleash this bad boy! I will let everyone know what it's like.

I guess all the low scored is coming from the price! Yet, I have to agree on that one. Another thing about the stand I notice. Sometime I see the ring is silver, then on other it's black?

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/corporate/imagebank/displays/2707wfp_300.jpg

Warning! It's big in size. 56K beware!

That image is 4MB just in case anyone is wondering.

The stand 'ring' is definitely silver on mine and i'd say that its only black in that picture because it is reflecting the bottom of the monitor.

I guess all the low scored is coming from the price!

Yeah its kinda sad really considering the product itself sounds great. Dell's always been known for their good prices for 'good' quality LCD's. Its a shame all the bad reviews they're getting on the 2707 are based mainly on its outrageous price...Dell shot themselves in the foot pretty well.

Personally, I would have one sitting on my desk right now if it was prices under a grand.

Back