Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

Which GPU do you plan on getting? My 320Mb 8800 struggles in some new games at native 2407 res :(

To further add to my comments in post 869 about DVI and widescreen, and resolutions, I have learned a few things that may be interesting. I should start with I'm using a 7800GS OC from BFG right now (AGP). But it should be the same for most NVidia cards and drivers, with the exception of maybe the 8xxx cards, but I can't see why they would be different. I am also using the "classic" control panel, not the new one.

If you go into your card's "tab" in display properties, you'll see under "screen resolutions and refresh rate" the "advanced timings" button...It's also worth noting. set the monitor to the resolution you want to alter before you do this (in my case, 1600x1200). I guess I should start with why. As we all know, not all PC games, even really recent ones, really support widescreen, and may of them get stretched. A good example of this is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and it's sequel, KotOR2. They're basically 4:3 games. Yes, your graphics card will stretch and scale them, and some people may be ok with the look, but some of us won't be. There are some hacks on the Widescreen gaming forum to get around these problems, but none are perfect, and if you patch the game (as you should it's buggy) you can't use them. At any rate, this was the reason I began wondering how to get my 1:1/aspect switches unlocked for DVI (as was discussed in my earlier posts I believed it not to be possible).

At any rate. switch to say, some 4:3 resolution, or something you know isn't 16:10 (i.e. something not 1920x1200). Go to "advanced timing" as I said. You should see a lot of crap you probably don't want to mess with. I suspect "timing standard" and "mode and timing" are "custom values". The trick is the "flat panel scaling" option. change it to "monitor scaling" from "display adapter scaling". Once you apply, you should find your aspect and 1:1 mode switches on the monitor unlocked, as the graphics card is no longer scaling for the monitor and "lying" to it about what resolution is being outputted to it. of course your desktop probably looks like crap now. Change your monitor back to 1920x1200 (or your chosen desktop res) and it'll be fine. You can enable monitor scaling for that res as well if you want, but, it won't really change anything. Now, when you go to your game that might run at whatever res you just altered, the monitor should "remember" what you set it to (much like it would with your xbox 360 or VGA input or whatever). In my case, when I run KotOR2, the game is in 4:3 with bars along the sides, as it should be. This will be good for gamers who know they have an older non widescreen game, and don't really want it stretched. That basically, in a long way, answers the questions post before my reply about "how to unlock aspect/1:1 for DVI and PC inputs.. Will you want to do this everyday? probably not, and you may not like gaming that way, but the option's there if you need or want it. Hopefully I've helped out somewhat.

Hi,

My first post, hope it doesn't annoy anyone! :D

So i've just this week got my 2407, very nice really love it. I've got it for my PC and also to use with my 360. What i would like to know, and i know at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference, but ii'd like to know how people have the menu settings for each of the input modes.

Not just whether you have it on gaming mode or desktop, but very specific colour settings, phase settings whatever you guys have really worked out to be the best it can look.

This is my first real 'professional' monitor and i don't want to miss out on better then out of te box detail because i'm not sure what certain things do entirely!

That probably sounds a bit dumb but hopefully you know what i mean.

My PC is connected via DVI and my 360 via VGA. But due to still slowly working my way through Halo :rolleyes: , i'd like to know how to get the best out of the component connection. I noticed a big difference on Lost Planet when i went from Component to VGA, it was dark but had colour to being able to see everything quite clearly.

I was running 1080i via component and obviously gone up to 1080p on VGA. on the component i noticed a strobing/flickering on the top half of the screen on the 360 dashboard, while the top of the grey blades look a little green at the mo (i've put the monitor in Gaming mode for the 360).

I've seen on here that there's a secret/service menu but i don't want to play around in it without some sort of guidance in case i mess it all up.

So if some of you wouldn't mind listing the specific number settings for each of the menu options for at least those 3 inputs (!) i'd really appreciate it.:) That way i can get it looking nice and start to tinker.

Thanks.

Oh its an A04, or at least thats what it said on the box so it better be!

And also i've really enjoyed reading this thread since i found it at work yesterday, a great way to spend 2 hours and get paid for it! ;)

I just got out of Dell Chat - not phone. Total time to get a replacement with them was about 20 minutes of slow chatting. Much easier than getting someone on the phone.

You need to struggle through the service tag bit... but if you have EVER bought a dell system you can go in with that and just tell them not to use it.

My A02 is finally going home! 1080p here I come!

mom paid $800CAD for a 2407 that just arrived. no dead pixels, A04 rev.

however I now see they have the 2407 HC for the same price on dell.ca

called a rep who offered a $150 refund making the 2407 $650.

would you take that offer or exchange for the 2407 HC? for $150 more?

Maybe someone answered this before, but any idea when we can expect the 2407WFP-HC to be available at the US Dell website? Unless I'm just not seeing it..

Not just whether you have it on gaming mode or desktop, but very specific colour settings, phase settings whatever you guys have really worked out to be the best it can look.

Well, first off...don't use gaming mode for PC-related connections at all, or any sort of progressive source like a 360, or a PS3. "Gaming" mode really should be called "Deinterlace mode" because that's what it does. It's really only needed for older console gaming (PS2, gamecube, x-box) or some non-progressive DVD player, or something of that nature, otherwise it makes everything look worse as the monitor's scalar is trying to de-interlace an already progressive signal. That's why a lot of people report "massive banding and issues" with the monitor in gaming mode.

I didn't do anything specific to my various color profiles other than lowering them, because of the massive brightness of the monitor. Lowering the brightness itself though tends to lower the backlight, which isn't what I wanted, so instead I lowered all 3 color sliders, which has the same effect but just "mutes" the colors themselves, mostly to prevent the whites from blowing my eyeballs out. :p Mine are all set at 90. It's also worth noting that there are 3 "clicks" within each number range which are sub-clicks within the same percentage number.. My 90 is the low end, meaning if I click down one more time, it becomes 89. That's just what I found acceptable to me. Before you go changing it though, spend like 3-5 hours with it as it is, and if it drives you nuts, change it. If you do it again, and it drives you nuts, change it again. That's generally my advice to changing things like monitors and TVs, that way your eyes/brain have time to adjust to whatever you changed it to. Also, my brightness setting is on 50, which was it's default. Higher than about 65 and the monitor seems washed, and it "blooms" on whites. lower, and the backlight seems weak. I think that's why it was defaulted to 50, but even at that, the colors were too intense for me, so a lowering by 10% or so was good for me. Others here lowered down to 75, 80, or 85, but having tried each for 3-5 hours, they seemed too low for me, so I settled in at 90. Hence why you want to test for a bit, in the various lighting conditions you use your monitor in.

My PC is connected via DVI and my 360 via VGA. But due to still slowly working my way through Halo :rolleyes: , i'd like to know how to get the best out of the component connection.

Could you not just play Halo on the 360, over VGA? because, it has widely been reported (though I've not used mine..yet) that the Component connections on this monitor are horrid. (it's all over this thread).

I noticed a big difference on Lost Planet when i went from Component to VGA, it was dark but had colour to being able to see everything quite clearly.

If you have any issues with the VGA "washing out" or seeming to "not have enough color" on the 360, make sure you have the latest live update, and go to...uhm...something in display about "color depth"..I forget what it's called, but the options are "normal" "Extended" and "expanded". This monitor, being a true PC monitor with "true 0-255" color ranges, works and looks best with the 360 on "expanded".

I was running 1080i via component and obviously gone up to 1080p on VGA. on the component i noticed a strobing/flickering on the top half of the screen on the 360 dashboard, while the top of the grey blades look a little green at the mo (i've put the monitor in Gaming mode for the 360).

I'm not sure if that's the component inputs of the monitor, the fact the monitor doesn't do that well with interlaced signals (that might be a time to try gaming mode, I dunno). or a failing of the 360 component connections, as I've not used them on this monitor.

I've seen on here that there's a secret/service menu but i don't want to play around in it without some sort of guidance in case i mess it all up.

I didn't play with it, I'm not sure if it would mess with your dell warranty, but it might, I didn't find the need to do much in there. I only used it to see what screen I had. Though it looks like you could, in theory adjust each of the three "modes" to whatever settings you wanted (like you can with most TVs) and use them for other purposes besides what they're defined for. But as you said, seems complicated, and you might mess with your monitor.

So if some of you wouldn't mind listing the specific number settings for each of the menu options for at least those 3 inputs (!) i'd really appreciate it.:) That way i can get it looking nice and start to tinker.

As I said, I left them the same for all 3 modes, or rather, the 360 (VGA) and PC (DVI) are the same, and I've not connected anything via component, so you'd have to ask someone else on that.

Oh its an A04, or at least thats what it said on the box so it better be!

You could also check the back of the monitor itself (I did when I took down the serial #) and you could check your panel screen in the service menu (as has been mentioned before in the thread).

And also i've really enjoyed reading this thread since i found it at work yesterday, a great way to spend 2 hours and get paid for it! ;)

Yup. Hopefully I've helped out a bit.

:) Hi,

Thanks for your reply. :)

So i shouldn't worry at all about switching between Desktop mode and Gaming mode then? I've noticed how horrible Windows look when i flick back from the 360 to Windows while still in Gaming. I'll see what it's like playing in Desktop then.

The brightness i'll have to tinker with as after a while it does feel like a bit of a strain on the eyeballs when using the PC (internet, Word, things like that), generally all the white background type applications.

One thing i've noticed is that the monitor seems to be adjusting itself automatically depending on what is on screen. For example on Lost Planet the title screen is white. Now, as it fades in to it's brightest it appears that the monitor is automatically darkening the white down. I've also noticed this effect on the PC when different windows or pictures pop up, it seems to adjust the overall brightness/balance of the image. Do you know anything about that or how to turn it off?

Regarding Halo & the component connection, i have to play it like that as it doesn't play over VGA. Something to do with the 50hz/60hz backwards compatibility. 50hz won't play over a VGA connection. Once i've completed it i won't be playing over it, unless i get any other backwards compatible games that won't go over the VGA. Halo 2 works over VGA, i've tried it so that query was purely to get the component connection to look better for the time i'm playing Halo 1 & maybe if i have some sort of HD device connected to it further down the line. :)

Incidentally Gaming mode isn't an option on component.

I also have the Spring update and the VGA setting is on Expanded if i remember rightly. Seemed to bring out a little more colour than the other modes.

I have looked at the service menu but didn't play with it. I can't remember the panel numbers but i did right them down. Yes i think its basically all the presets for the different modes.

Thanks for your reply, i'll have a go with the brightness and see if i can lose that burning sensation i get on the inside of my skull :D .

If anyone has any info on how to get the best out of the component, purely for info, then i'd appreciate it.

Thanks. :cool:

How do I identify the revision number from the box?

Does it say A04 on the box if it is an A04 revision?

^^I think you have to look at the back of the monitor, though check the box first.

2407-HC in the U.S.? Wonder how long it'll be before it reaches Canada, and for how much...

I just got off the phone with Dell and they are replacing my 2407FP rev 03 which is 6 months old.

I see that there is the discussion on the HC model which replaces the 2407 WFP.....

So this is 3 different 24" models in less than 6 months......is there a problem? I know that my display shows all letters like the letters in this post on the white background as different colors and not very clear.

What should I expect to receive.....What should I push for?

Thank you in advance

Elliot

The HC does not replace the current 2407... yet at least. It is meant to offer higher color, hence the "HC."

There hasn't been 3 models. There are two models, and they get revisions. The 2407WFP and the 2407WFP-HC.

You should expect a rev. A04. You can't push for an HC unless you really push, since it is slightly more than the regular 2407.

Can some one please post a pic of the lcd with component inputs being used. I cant decide between this and the 2007wfp. I know everyone says the component is terrible but im not that picky. Also a little off topic but didnt MS say that the elite was going to be a permanent edition to the 360 line? I cant seem to find it any where. I want to get this one so I can run it to the dvi input. However if I can deal with the component on the 2407 I will do that.Some one please give me a hand!

Hopefully someone can help. I have an A04 revision dell 2407wfp. I have my PC connected via DVI and xbox 360 via VGA. Playing games via both at 1080p and the picture quality is amazing. However when i try to view any video content (DVDs, HD trailers, HD-DVDs via xbox add-on drive) the video playback looks very grainy. I don't know how else to describe it. There are no dead pixels, and the grainy effect takes on the colour that the video should be, but rather than looking like a smooth picture, it looks as if you can see each individual pixel (like a snowy effect, only not white).

Again this only happens with video playback not when playing games. I have an Nvidia 8800GTS and AMD dual core 4600+ with 2GB DDR2 800 ram.

If anyone can help i would be really grateful. I don't think its a monitor fault as it only happens during video playback. I have the latest drivers for my graphics card too.

Thanks,

Has anyone connected a Wii or PS2 on the component? Does it work ok? Does it have 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio on component with wii or ps2? How is the pic quality with ps2 on component?

And if i want to put a ps3 and a pc on the single avaible dvi input, how do i do that? Are there any cheap dvi splitters or something?

Hello everyone,
I was very close to buying a 2407WFP back in October last year but people's complaints about the monitor scared me away until things had improved. I believe back then, people were starting to get the A03 revisions. Today I started to look back into this and from what I read on the last page, the monitor is now A04 correct? Have some of the kinks been ironed out since then? I also just looked at Dell's site today and noticed the 2407WFP-HC. Is the color being improved the only improvement?

It's been a while since I've visted this thread but let me say that after owning the Dell 2407WFP Rev. A04 for about a year it's amazing!

I'm buying another one soon.

I just got the 2407wfp-hc today. Its up an running and I am very pleased. But I am not a gamer and I havent had enough time with it to determine if DVD's are "grainy, etc. I have a Spyder on order and will post more detail after I have more data.

Mac

mom paid $800CAD for a 2407 that just arrived. no dead pixels, A04 rev.

however I now see they have the 2407 HC for the same price on dell.ca

called a rep who offered a $150 refund making the 2407 $650.

would you take that offer or exchange for the 2407 HC? for $150 more?

repost

I just got the 2407wfp-hc today. Its up an running and I am very pleased. But I am not a gamer and I havent had enough time with it to determine if DVD's are "grainy, etc. I have a Spyder on order and will post more detail after I have more data.

Mac

Oh could you upload you calibration file when your finished? I'm getting the 2407WFP-HC on Thursday but I don't have my calibration software with me here. :(

I will try to post my calibration values when I have them but it will be next week at least. Also, panel variations may make my panel values unsuitable for your panel. But it is something to try.

Mac

The 2407FPW and 2407FPW-HC are retailing at the EXACT SAME PRICE here in Canada : $799 for either one. This scares me. It seems to indicate there must be a serious drawback to the HC version we don't know about. What could it be? Lack of inputs?

See new thread I just started on the subject.

Nope, 2407wfp-hc has the same inputs as 2407wfp. Havent tried HDMI/HDCP though. Not my purpose for the display.

I've read through much of this thread, but there's just a ton to get through and I'm not even sure I have a problem, after all.

I bought one of these in December 2006 when it was listed as "2407FP" and I have revision A03.

I haven't really had any problems with banding or color or anything else. My pixels all seem fine (though after reading through here, I'm going to run Pixel Buddy tonight to make sure).

I'm a little concerned about the inability to set 1:1 widescreen at higher resolutions, but, like I said, I'm not even sure this is a problem for me.

Right now, I use this monitor strictly for PC use, using Vista 64. I have a Sony 50" LCD TV in the living room for PS2/PS3 and DVD's/Blue Ray. I have 2 computers hooked up, one via the DVI (8800GTS) and one via the VGA (7800GS). It's POSSIBLE I would choose to use this monitor for more than PC use in the future, but that's not a big concern to me right now.

I'm currently mostly playing Vanguard exclusively, though I have Company of Heroes and a few others I'll be installing shortly, and I'm looking forward to Crysis. I play everything in 1920x1200 mode (with desktop matching) and so far it seems everything has this resolution available on in-game display menus, etc.

I have been pretty happy with my picture, though I only recently got the 8800-based system and had Vanguard cranked down in all visual effects to play worth a dang on the 7800/P4 3.2 system I was on before. It's possible I've been so accepting of this lower visual quality that I never noticed or cared if I had a bad picture possibly caused by any scaling issues on the monitor itself. I also remember my cousin commenting when playing on my computer that the characters on my monitor look different from how they look on his widescreen monitor - I think he mentioned them seeming slimmer and more elongated (could this be because HIS monitor is the one with scaling problems - not sure what resolution he uses - and "shrinking" the same image causing him to think it's "normal" for characters to be shorter/fatter than they should be?).

Now - to my question - and this probably would make it all the background info moot if it's a simple answer:

If I play everything at the monitor's native resolution of 1920x1200 and I am not hooking up any DVD/Blue Ray players or PS2/PS3, should I even experience any graphical problems related to the pre-A04 revisions having scaling/pixel mapping disabled in the menu?

I would think NO, since if the native resolution and display resolution match, it should be the clearest picture with no scaling even needed, but I haven't had a chance to really look at the games played with this new setup since I'm still building it. I just don't want to assume I am seeing the best picture, when in reality there's something I could be setting differently to have an even better picture.

Sorry for all the blabbering if it's a simple answer. I like to give as much info as possible to avoid having to follow up 3-4 times with more details later.

--Coach

I have that same card and I am driving 2 x 2407 rev A03s with it. in gentoo and xp also. I run most games in native resolution just fine. I can't turn everything all the way up but I am satisfied. thankfully for games like bf2142 (no widescreen support) nvidia's drivers do thier own 1:1 (so i can run 1600x1200 with no stretch). Thats my only gripe about the 2407 is the usless 1:1. I have 2 original xboxs and a 360 and have tried every connection to get 1:1 to work and it is always grayed out. I am not looking forward to exchanging both of these for A04s...

rest of the machine is pretty average. intel 2.66 northwood, 1 gig ram

Now you actually have me thinking about a 2407WFP for straight desktop duty (just replaced my AIW 9700 Pro with an X1650 Pro AGP). The new X has dual DVI outputs (one single-link, the other dual-link): which would the Dell require? While I won't be planning to crank up SupCom and C&C3 from where they are currently (I'm more CPU-bound as it stands right now in both games) I wouldn't mind being able to crank Guild Wars and Generals: Zero Hour up to either 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200 (I have a current desktop of 1280x960, which is also my typical resolution for both games), both of which the X supports. Has anyone connected an ATI AGP card to the 2407WFP (or WFP-HC, which is a mere $10 more from DELL)?

I just received my 2407 today, and I'm loving it, aside from one little issue-the monitor isn't horizontally level when on its stand. I know this is a fairly common problem with these (or so I've read) and was wondering what the fix for it was, as I recall that you can make a minor modification to the stand to level things out. Anyone have the details for this?

Hi,

I've bought last week-end 2407WFP. I like it a lot, only a single question.
It seems that my panel seems to be slightly lighter on the left side and darker on the right side.
This can be seen only when a single color background is displayed and you look carefully.
Is this a problem or other users also encounter it ?

Mine is revision 04, made in Czech Republic.

Hi

I just received my 2407WFP (not HC) REV04. The settings seems not to bad but not perfect either. Could someone give me the settings they got after calibration ?

Thanks in advance

Back