Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

I just got my 2407wfp Rev A04 today (made in Mexico). Gorgeous but I'm going nuts!!!

I'm connecting my Toshiba Hd-a2 HD-DVD player via hdmi/dvi connector cable, and it won't let me get a 1080i signal. (The 1080i works perfectly with component, but no luck with hdmi/dvi.)

I've tried both kinds of cables: a cable with one end hdmi/the other dvdi -- and also the regular dvi cable it comes with (connected to a dongle like dvi-hdmi attachment).

What am I doing wrong? Dell gave me this for $381 + tax new after coupons (!!) last week and want to keep it, but I need to figure out the digital 1080i so I can watch hd-dvd movies as meant to be...

Any help appreciated!

edit: The on screen message says "out of range signal. Cannot display this video mode..."
But the monitor is set to 1920x1200 @ 60...

I just got my 2407wfp Rev A04 today (made in Mexico). Gorgeous but I'm going nuts!!!

I'm connecting my Toshiba Hd-a2 HD-DVD player via hdmi/dvi connector cable, and it won't let me get a 1080i signal. (The 1080i works perfectly with component, but no luck with hdmi/dvi.)

I've tried both kinds of cables: a cable with one end hdmi/the other dvdi -- and also the regular dvi cable it comes with (connected to a dongle like dvi-hdmi attachment).

What am I doing wrong? Dell gave me this for $381 + tax new after coupons (!!) last week and want to keep it, but I need to figure out the digital 1080i so I can watch hd-dvd movies as meant to be...

Any help appreciated!

edit: The on screen message says "out of range signal. Cannot display this video mode..."
But the monitor is set to 1920x1200 @ 60...

The scaler will not process a digital 1080i signal whatsoever.... why don't you use 1080p?

The scaler will not process a digital 1080i signal whatsoever.... why don't you use 1080p?

Somehow I didn't realize that it. So, it supports 1080p through dvi, but not 1080i? I guess I don't quite get it. I'm interested, could you tell me a little more?
Looks like I'll have to return the hd-dvd player..

thanks!

i think the hd-a2 only supports 720p and 1080i, so 1080p probably wouldn't work, though 720p probably could. I think the newer hd-dvd players like toshiba's hd-xa2 supports 1080p output though.

Note I'm not an hd-dvd expert though so it would be best to do look around for some more info on this. I have a ps3 and have only 1 blu-ray movie that i watched in 720p on my 20" lcd monitor and it looked pretty good to me.

i think the hd-a2 only supports 720p and 1080i, so 1080p probably wouldn't work, though 720p probably could. I think the newer hd-dvd players like toshiba's hd-xa2 supports 1080p output though.

Note I'm not an hd-dvd expert though so it would be best to do look around for some more info on this. I have a ps3 and have only 1 blu-ray movie that i watched in 720p on my 20" lcd monitor and it looked pretty good to me.

Thanks for that, you're correct. The hd-a2 player only supports 1080i (no p). I just didn't realize the 2407wfp rev a04 doesn't support 1080i over dvi.
It seems to be the unanimous decision around here, so guess I'll be returning the dvd player...

Anybody know what "clear user" under the 2407wfp factory "secret" menu does?
Does it just undo any changes you've made to colors, etc in the normal menus?

Hidden Menu,
iTest on,
bye,
;)

You are a God!!
teebaw = unsung hero of HardForum!

Two questions:
1. how come you're the only one that knows this (saw you posted this on another forum also)!??

2. How come there are no black bars on the left/right sides when watching 1080i HD movies with dvi (1:1 mapping), like there are when watching 1080i in component?

Thanks a million!

--So, contrary to popular belief, 2407wfp does do 1080i over dvi!

I was wondering if anyone would have some input as to how this monitor performs for gaming, especially compared to say the BenQ FP241W which is my other main choice. Thanks!

i have it and although i dont have another 24"er to compare it to, this thing is frigging amazing for gaming. i don't notice any ghosting at all, input lag again not noticeable. i absolutely love the resolution for the size. the pixel pitch is pretty good. gaming is insane on this thing. i just wish i had a $500 video card to play all my games in 1920x1200. CoH looks unbelievably amazing in 1920x1200. thats one of the few games i play that runs (well) in 1920x1200.

the monitor has the look and feel of high quality. you cant go wrong with it. and if dell still has their $569 deal, theres no way you shouldnt go for this. i did and i am immensely happy with the deal.

awesome, thanks for the input.. I defiantly plan to add a 2nd 7800 gtx to my computer so I can run everything at max resolution with good fps as well.

My monitor arrived today (first time dealing with DHL). Mexican Rev04 HN208L6. Beautiful piece of technology except I think I may have a single dead pixel. Top middle, maybe 1.5" from the edge of the screen. The monitor has been powered on for literally an hour or 2, so I'm hoping this little black bastard will go away, but I'm not holding my breath.

Don't keep your hopes up. If it's in the middle, just go for an exchange while you still can. Otherwise, give it 2 months and you'll not only stop feeling bad, you'll completely forget it's there. You just reminded me I have one bottom left-ish.

anyone else having horizontal banding issues? it seems to go away if i power off and then power on after about 30 seconds.

so, is there actually any more news on 2407wfp-HC?
my options are to consider waiting for this, or getting a 2707WFP from pcbuyit.co.uk; or even a 2407WFP + a 8800GTX.

For me, the 1:1 mapping is REALLY important, as a time will come when whatever graphics card setup you have cant drive the resolution, and so not being stretched will become useful in order to look good (although with black bars) and sharp whilst having good framerates.

I just dropped mine off at Costco after about 4 hours of back and forth with Dell they would not RMA it! Oh well went back to Costco and was able to get my money back and order a new one. Got about 70 dollars back as the price had dropped.

the monitor worked great, awesome display, but then all of the sudden it would simply go black. The buttons in front stayed green, but the display would not respond. I had to unplug it and leave it unplugged for a couple of minutes.

Changed video cards from a 6800 GT to a 8800GTX, nothing, changed form Vista to XP to Linus. Did the same thing on all three.

Hopefully I will not have this issue with the new one that is on the way.

If my primary use for the monitor is first as a computer monitor (over VGA, sadly, because my laptop doesn't have DVI out) and second as a TV (being fed by a Comcast HD DVR box, not sure which model yet, so most likely 1080i over component) is there really any difference between the A03 and the A04 revisions?

If my primary use for the monitor is first as a computer monitor (over VGA, sadly, because my laptop doesn't have DVI out) and second as a TV (being fed by a Comcast HD DVR box, not sure which model yet, so most likely 1080i over component) is there really any difference between the A03 and the A04 revisions?

I would see if you could get a box with DVI, because last time I checked the component inputs on the 2407WFP were still screwed up (shitty, pixelated image) on all revisions A00 through A04.

Please, if I am incorrect, someone correct me!

I would see if you could get a box with DVI, because last time I checked the component inputs on the 2407WFP were still screwed up (shitty, pixelated image) on all revisions A00 through A04.

Please, if I am incorrect, someone correct me!

It looks like the Motorola Comcast HD DVR boxes have either a DVI or HDMI port on them so as long as the Rev A03 can decode/deinterlace 1080i content over it's DVI port (I saw a service menu hack, but I'm not sure if that is just for the A04) I should be fine with an A03.

As this monitor is going for a good price now I was thinking of getting it but first I would like to know a few things.

1. Im mainly going to use it for pc gaming how does it fare in this department.
  2. Has the banding issues been resolved in A04
  3. Will i be able to run it at lower resolutions as I currently only have a geforce 6800 ultra im ugrading to an 8800 ultra soon and would like to know if can use it at the moment.

I just picked this monitor up and I must say I'm happy so far except the display itself seems to be slanted just a bit. The right side of the monitor is lower than the right by about half an inch. This is most likely due to the stand. I haven't rotated it or anything, it is in its "default" position. I was wondering if this is normal.

Dell Widescreen Monitors:

20" - $339
24" - $669
27" - $1,019
30" - $1499

So, I'm in the market for a Widescreen, and I can find (on Newegg) a whole bunch of 22" Widescreens for ~$300. Is there ANY reason to get a 24" WFP for twice as much? Are the two inches really that amazing?

And do any of you think that the prices will drop any time soon?

Nate

Its not really the 2 inches taht matter... I mean it does but what people really go for is the fact that 22" are almost all TN, which has the worst color and such. Where as teh 24 varies more. Also, along with the 2 inches, there are also more pixels. Which leads to a better and higher resolution.

Thats what you should take into consideration as well as the 2 inches.

20" - $339
24" - $669
27" - $1,019
30" - $1499

So, I'm in the market for a Widescreen, and I can find (on Newegg) a whole bunch of 22" Widescreens for ~$300. Is there ANY reason to get a 24" WFP for twice as much? Are the two inches really that amazing?

Nate

As the previous poster said the size advantage is negligible. The reason for the 24's is the 1920x1200 res with much higher quality panels. In my opinion its more than worth the extra money for the 24.

20" - $339
24" - $669
27" - $1,019
30" - $1499

Nate

Yes, there is a good reason. ALL 22 inch monitors on the market are 6bit panels instead of 8bit, and I believe that most of them are TN panels as well. I personally would get a 20 inch over the 22 for that amount of $. 22 inchers are not for anyone on this forum, that's for sure!

A friend of mine is selling his Dell 2407WFP for $600 CAD. The monitor has A03 with no dead pixel. Is this a good monitor for xbox 360? I'm currently using a 22 inch right now but it really annoys me that when I play my 360 on this monitor is stretched. Are there any bugs on this firmware when hooking up 360?

Thanks

A friend of mine is selling his Dell 2407WFP for $600 CAD. The monitor has A03 with no dead pixel. Is this a good monitor for xbox 360? I'm currently using a 22 inch right now but it really annoys me that when I play my 360 on this monitor is stretched. Are there any bugs on this firmware when hooking up 360?

Thanks

In order to play it without stretching (actually, in order to play it AT ALL), you are going to have to purchase the VGA cable. Component inputs on the 2407WFP are FUBAR'd, and 1080p will stretch with the VGA cable and also component cables unless you have the A04 revision.

In order to play it without stretching (actually, in order to play it AT ALL), you are going to have to purchase the VGA cable. Component inputs on the 2407WFP are FUBAR'd, and 1080p will stretch with the VGA cable and also component cables unless you have the A04 revision.

Why do you say components are fubar? Does component support xbox360's 1080p with fixed aspect ratio from osd? Or only on VGA? In rev A04.

Also, some questions:
1. Is it any difference between HDMI and VGA, on a Elite xbox360?
2. How is the picture quality in lower resolutions, in games? I guess not all of you have the video power to play latest games in 1920x1200...

Can somebody with a A04 revision please try this:
Feed a 1080p signal with dvi-to-hdmi cable, then on the monitor change between 1:1/Aspect/Fill. Does the image size change? For me all three settings are selectable, but the image doesn't change. (however, 1080i, 720p, etc, change correctly between fill/1:1, etc)
thanks!

EDIT: Fixed! - had a defective A04, wasn't changing the res. when selecting aspect/1:1. Got it replaced and works perfectly :)

Can somebody with a A04 revision PLEASE try this:

Feed a 1080p signal with dvi-to-hdmi cable, then on the monitor change between 1:1/Aspect/Fill. Does the image size change? For me all three settings are selectable, but the image doesn't change. (however, 1080i, 720p, etc, change correctly between fill/1:1, etc)

thanks!

I thought 1080P on these(even A04) was a no go ? Is this different now ? Im about to get one and this would be awesome.

I thought 1080P on these(even A04) was a no go ? Is this different now ? Im about to get one and this would be awesome.

Yes, it DEFINITELY works. 1080p works perfectly in 1:1 pixel map (and aspect ratio) via dvi/dvi or dvi/hdmi cable - with the A04 revision. (You can't do 1080p through component, but there's no reason to use that anyway - the dvi quality on this is much better)

The 2407wfp-hc will come out likely in a few days, so may want to wait for that.

Yes, it DEFINITELY works. 1080p works perfectly in 1:1 pixel map (and aspect ratio) via dvi/dvi or dvi/hdmi cable - with the A04 revision. (You can't do 1080p through component, but there's no reason to use that anyway - the dvi quality on this is much better)

The 2407wfp-hc will come out likely in a few days, so may want to wait for that.

I was just curious, can you do any progressive scan through component? say 480p or even 720p? This would be useful for consoles.

Has someone hooked up a Wii to this monitor over component? How does it fair in this case?

I have a BenQ FP241WZ and it doesn't scale the signal properly. The damn monitor thinks the 480p 16:9 signal is a 4:3 signal no matter what setting...aspect nor 1:1 (which isn't viable anyways). :(

Looking to update my current monitor down the road after I do new pc build. Looking at the 2007WFP or the 2407, or maybe a cheapie 22in. My concern is around gaming. Most of the games I have should play fine on either, but the resolution on the 2407 has me concerned for one particular game I'm playing now. Has anyone played LOTR on the 2407? The action bars in the game are smaller than in WOW. Just concerned on what the action bar will look like going from 1280 x 1024 to the 2407.
Thanks in advance.

Back