Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

dakine99 said:
Here you go: link

How does that program work in terms of finding lag? And how do you get it that big? I cant get it to half that size.

Edit: n/m, I found out you had to use an external source :p....camera

Hmmm, I feel kind of dumb now. I was checking these gradient issues that I found on the 2407wfp on every other monitor in my house except for my 193p which I haven't set up again yet. Well on a 2001fp, samsung 172t and 910t, and an nec 791sb and two other off-brand crts, I got the same results as I did on the 2407wfp (I forgot to test the vertical gradient test pattern on them, I just did my own tests). So I guess I just started to notice these defects when I new that I should look for them. But, the vertical gradient test pattern does look a little worse than what I remember on my 193p, so when I get the 193p set up again tomorrow I will post my findings with that. Hopefully the gradient problems are actually fixed :).

Edit:
Tested verticle gradient test pattern on the 2001fp and it is much much better than the A02 2407wfp in desktop mode over dvi. Man I was hoping that all this gradient stuff was just in my head, but I guess not :(.

Look at the darkness on left side of thia Pic (link down below).
How can the guy say "2407 Banding is all fixed" ??
Also, look at Text pic under it. Do you see a very slight darker area at left side of screen----slightly darker than right side? I do,
(Run your eyes left-right real quick to see it).
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=1403
Even if its not a "banding" issue----still, those Bars at left side show bad "uniformity of color" across the 2407 screen. Or am I missing something?

Zak said:
Look at the darkness on left side of thia Pic (link down below).
How can the guy say "2407 Banding is all fixed" ??
Also, look at Text pic under it. Do you see a very slight darker area at left side of screen----slightly darker than right side? I do,
(Run your eyes left-right real quick to see it).
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=1403
Even if its not a "banding" issue----still, those Bars at left side show bad "uniformity of color" across the 2407 screen. Or am I missing something?

I do, but that could also be from the camera. The camera does pick up things that the human eye cant. What he must see live must be good though. Also, what is that program he uses for color gradients?

Got my 2407FPW A02 today.

I planned on this monitor replacing my 2005fpw as my Xbox 360 display, but this thing as huge problems. As others have said before, the component looks horrible in both 1080i and 720p. It is blurry, over saturated, and way to dark.

VGA looks good, but suffers from massive tearing in everything but "Fill" mode. Sure, rebooting the monitor serves as a temp fix some of the time, but its something that I shouldnt have to do with my brand new $900 display.

My question to dell is, how did you go from the 2405fpw, which had perfectly functioning VGA and component inputs, to the 2407FPW which suffers from major problems with both of these functions?

I really hope Dell announces a Rev A03, which addresses these issues. Otherwise this 24" beauty is going right back to Dell for a refund.

I too got mine last saturday, and am dissapointed with the component inputs with the xbox360.

However, I finally got a Digital TV Set Top Box working today, and have hooked it up via component, and it looks ok. Not perfect but better then what the xbox360 showed. So I might keep it, unless I hear word that a new revision comes out. I currently just have the 360 hooked to the screen via vga, and the tv via component.

I'm going to be cheesed big time when mine arrives and I hook up the PS2. Still waiting for the PS3 before deciding on which next-gen to adopt. :D

I'm in Sydney Australia & just received my 2407WFP. It's a revision A02, made in China on 16/06/06.
There is no horizontal banding but vertical banding is quite visible when showing a vertical gradient from black to white.
I run SuSE Linux 10.1 & use the monitor in 'desktop' mode with PC colour mode, I only use DVI input.
The display was too bright out of the box (50/100), I settled on 30 as comfortable.
There are no dead pixels, I'm happy with my panel.

With 3yrs NBD warranty for $1199AU, it's a good deal.

Has anyone professionally calibrated the colors on the Dell 2407WFP? By default the image over DVI using the desktop mode has to much brightness and contrast. It also seems like there is a red push as well. If anyone can run a calibration prog and give us the settings I'd greatly appreciate it.

Is this 6 or 8-bit?

Does anyone like the frame/footprint of the 2405 better than the 2407's? I do... at least for me, the 2407 gives me a cheap plastic feel... but I haven't seen it in person, just in pictures. Is that why?

you all should sell those 2407s and buy the sony's version of the 24inch LCD.

It is the number 1 choice on toms hardware and its about 1k

UnrealCpu said:
you all should sell those 2407s and buy the sony's version of the 24inch LCD.

It is the number 1 choice on toms hardware and its about 1k
lawl but Sony sucks (as a company) :p

[edit] doublelol... i just read that article. it's utter crap. they're evaluating monitors on how cool they look and not on image quality. tell me it's a joke... oh wait, it's tom's hardware

StryderxX said:
Has anyone professionally calibrated the colors on the Dell 2407WFP? By default the image over DVI using the desktop mode has to much brightness and contrast. It also seems like there is a red push as well. If anyone can run a calibration prog and give us the settings I'd greatly appreciate it.

I ran a pantone eyeone and created a color profile. It got rid of that red push you are talking about. You end up with a little less contrast but with neutral greys. If you find me a place to upload the file I'll be happy to share. The calibration process includes adjusting the rgb setting s on the monitor first. In the service menu "PC Normal Preset" was best at R 255 G 252 B 251. My monitor was best with brightness at 100.

SSlaytanic said:
Is this 6 or 8-bit?

Does anyone like the frame/footprint of the 2405 better than the 2407's? I do... at least for me, the 2407 gives me a cheap plastic feel... but I haven't seen it in person, just in pictures. Is that why?

I've never seen the 2405 but the 2407 case and particularly the stand is nice. The upper part of the stand is aluminum while the bottom I think is plastic. The case is nice but not in the same league as sony or apple. The panel is what's important though and it's great except for the fact that it still bands with certain gradients.

dakine99 said:
I ran a pantone eyeone and created a color profile. It got rid of that red push you are talking about. You end up with a little less contrast but with neutral greys. If you find me a place to upload the file I'll be happy to share. The calibration process includes adjusting the rgb setting s on the monitor first. In the service menu "PC Normal Preset" was best at R 255 G 252 B 251. My monitor was best with brightness at 100.
I'm sort of a noob when it comes to the service menu of this monitor (2407). Can you give me a quick over view of what steps I need to take to access it? As per the color profile you can mail it to my gmail account. I'll PM you with the address. Lastly I find it surprising that you ended up setting your brightness level to 100%. At the default 50 I felt like I was staring at the sun! :cool: :eek:

StryderxX said:
I'm sort of a noob when it comes to the service menu of this monitor (2407). Can you give me a quick over view of what steps I need to take to access it? As per the color profile you can mail it to my gmail account. I'll PM you with the address. Lastly I find it surprising that you ended up setting your brightness level to 100%. At the default 50 I felt like I was staring at the sun! :cool: :eek:
Every monitor's a little different so no ones settings are gonna work for you. Also, that color profile won't effect videos, games, or your mouse cursor. I calibrated through my spyder2 (I didn't bother with creating a profile, just got is as good as I could with hardware adjustments) and fine tuned through ati's ccc to alleviate black crush.

I ended up with Red 100, Green 95, Blue 98 and Brightness 28. But there are multiple clicks within each % and even one click further down on brightness causes another shade of black to be lost completely.

However, blacks on my monitor are only completely uncrushed at one of the 42% brightness clicks (or any brightness above that). To fix this to work at 28% brightness I adjusted desktop, video, and game brightness and contrast through the catalyst control center using test patterns in the spyder2 solftware and my dve dvd (for video contrast/brightness).

I ended up with +16 brightness and 94 contrast on video, and +15 brightness and 96 contrast on desktop to avoid crushing white and stop crushing black. By adjusting brightness without making the backlight any brighter I managed to uncrush black without staring into a monitor as bright as the sun.

StryderxX said:

I know it's strange, at first I couldn't stand anything above 50 either but now it looks fine when at 100. blacks are very black and whites are really white. On my a02 I find that there is not as much difference between 50 and 100 though. To get to the service menu first turn your monitor off then press (menu) (+) and (power On) simultaneously, then let go of all three buttons and press (-).

I think the profile could work for you since I tested it on two different 2407's and even though the profile was made for my newer 2407 it still made the same improvement. In any case it doesn't hurt to try.

SonComet said:
Every monitor's a little different so no ones settings are gonna work for you. Also, that color profile won't effect videos, games, or your mouse cursor. I calibrated through my spyder2 (I didn't bother with creating a profile, just got is as good as I could with hardware adjustments) and fine tuned through ati's ccc to alleviate black crush.

Are you sure? Nvidia card users can specify a color profile in the video card drivers. That should work if you want your profile to be used in games as well.

So a show of hands, would you guys rather get a 2405 or a 2407 (A02)? (Say you get the 2407 for $800 and the 2405 for $700) Which one, at this moment, would you guys get? This also goes for VGA and Component input quality as well as (obviously) DVI.

DangerIsGo said:
So a show of hands, would you guys rather get a 2405 or a 2407 (A02)? (Say you get the 2407 for $800 and the 2405 for $700) Which one, at this moment, would you guys get? This also goes for VGA and Component input quality as well as (obviously) DVI.

None of the above, I would wait and see what is around the corner. Either wait till dell fixes the 2407 or see what the other manufacturers come up with.

dakine99 said:
Are you sure? Nvidia card users can specify a color profile in the video card drivers. That should work if you want your profile to be used in games as well.
As far as I know it doesn't work in anything video accelerated. That's been my experience on my x1800xl and my roommates 6800gt. The color profile generated by the spyder2 software only changes the look on the desktop and images, nothing video related (and yes I know you have to disable ccc to make the profile stick after boot-up). To control video colors I have to calibrate in hardware and then I can adjust brightness/contrast appropriately through the avivo settings. I think nvidia software may give a little more freedom in video controls, but I haven't really explored it. I've always found it best to calibrate everything, especially color, in hardware. However, I had to calibrate contrast/brightness in software for both desktop and video since this monitor does not have seperate backlight and brightness controls, and does not allow contrast adjustment over dvi (never ran it over vga so I dunno if it can be done there). That's just my findings, I don't claim to be an expert but I've had a lot of annoyances with those color profiles.

Just got my 2407 (A02) yesterday. Hooked it up to my work computer via DVI and loved it. Watched 1080p Superman Returns trailers and loved 'em. Definitely saw gradient problems with the DC logo in the beginning of the movies, though. I do get some banding on vertical gradients, but it's not drastic.

Brought it home, hooked it up to my Comcast HD cable box via DVI... picture out of range on 1080i. 720p worked ok, though. Odd... hooked it up via component... 1080i worked ok (though the quality wasn't great, like others have said) It also didn't fill the screen horizontally like it should. I had it set to screen size of 1:1 The monitor is 1920 pixels wide, 1080i is 1920 pixels wide... what the heck are the black bands on the sides? And yes, this was an HD channel and not a SD channel. All the HD channels looked that way (I do know they often show 4:3 content on HD channels, I just surfed until I found 16:9).

So... two questions - does this thing just not support 1080i over DVI? I really hope that's not the case.

Second, anyone else having difficulty getting it to correctly show 1:1 1080i?

-Nate

The gradient problems in the superman trailer are from the source not the monitor. It does it on every other monitor in my house for that trailer.

SonComet said:
The gradient problems in the superman trailer are from the source not the monitor. It does it on every other monitor in my house for that trailer.

Good to know. I thought that might be the case, but hadn't gotten around to checking it.

POSSIBLE FIX FOR THE COMPONENT QUALITY!!!???

Sorry for the caps, but I think this warrants attention and some investigation. A user at another forum (Burger at gaming-age) has just sent me some info on how to help out the component quality quite a bit. I'll copy and paste what he wrote to me.

Hey dude,

Was reading your impressions of the Dell 2407, as I have recently purchased one. Like you, massive problems with component video.

Until.... I disabled something called ACC which I think stands for Adaptive Colour Correction.

You have to access it from the service menu as follows:

Power off.
Hold down "menu" and "+" buttons.
Power on (keep holding "menu +" till power up done).
Wait until the connector info dissapears off screen (dvi connector/Dsub).
Press "-" button.

You now see the service menu with the panel info at the top.

Good luck!

I tried it, and it really does help quite a bit. It didn't seem to fix it all the way, but perhaps with some fiddling a real fix can be obtained. Just doing this seemed to make the picture much more natural looking. It looks much harsher than VGA, but I haven't been able to fiddle with the settings very much. This is worth exploring I think if you are planning to use the component input.

Be careful of messing around in the service menu. You can seriously fubar your monitor and it almost surely voids the warranty.

Zinn said:
Be careful of messing around in the service menu. You can seriously fubar your monitor and it almost surely voids the warranty.

It's just one option. It's basically the thing that they disabled in "desktop" mode to eliminate banding. It was still enabled over component.

I got mine today :D A02 no dead pixels.

Unfortunately, this monitor has major problems with Quad SLI off of DVI. When gaming, the screen is very jumpy, and in SFR games I see a horizontal line moving up and down. This is not the load balancing bar as it is disabled. Some other people are getting this as well with quad SLI. VGA seems to work ok though.

Here is a pic, I am coming from an NEC FE2111SB

attachment.php

jAkUp said:
I got mine today :D A02 no dead pixels.

Unfortunately, this monitor has major problems with Quad SLI off of DVI. When gaming, the screen is very jumpy, and in SFR games I see a horizontal line moving up and down. This is not the load balancing bar as it is disabled. Some other people are getting this as well with quad SLI. VGA seems to work ok though.

Here is a pic, I am coming from an NEC FE2111SB

attachment.php

hahaha.. first thing i thought was 'you got all that $$$ for Quad-SLI and your desk is so messy!'

:D

man this thing huge, yet it feels lighter than my 213T. 3 inches of extra horizontal space makes a heckuva difference.

but after my intial excitement wore off i realized this is the worst monitor purchase i've ever made. the banding is terrible! playing with the contrast got rid of it but washed out the image. turning off ACC didn't do a thing.

the anti-glare coating is the same trash that the viewsonic 2025vx uses. it seems like they use it to help hide any dead/stuck pixels. the frosting seems to give a prism effect. when i scroll gradients up or down the frosting changes the look of the banding- this is most visible in the smaller bands. luckily i didn't have any bad pixels.

the monitor scaling options over-ride the options you set in your vid card at any resolution where either the horizontal or vertical is equal to the monitor's native res. ie. 1024x768 displays correctly. 1600x1200 gets stretched. 1600x900 is fine, 1920x1080 is warped, etc. there is a setting in the monitor to change it but, it's locked.

the monitor is waaaayyy too bright. you may say "well lower the birghtness." well, if you've read previous threads you'll find that there is a known problem with the right side being brighter than the left. i'd say it's about a 10% difference in brightness. one side being just right leaves the other either too bright or too dark. whatever excuse they have for that is bs b/c i have 27" tv that is evenly lit, a 21.3 that's pretty evenly lit (it's only 3 inches shorter on the width), my 17 and 19 are also evenly lit. with all the R&D from older model panels how'd they screw this one up?

i do have the a02 btw connected to 2 7800gt's via dvi.

i'll play with it for another week to see if i'll return it or not. i'm not going to request another b/c the banding issue isn't as annoying as the backlight is.

To anyone who has both a 2405 and 2407: Have you noticed any improvements (other than the obvious feature upgrades like HDCP)?

positives- lower lag, faster wake up from sleep mode, wider viewing angle, faster pixel response...

negatives- Worst component quality, less control of aspect ratio on high resolutions, forgets settings...slight vertical banding

For those saying that the Samsung 244T has the same panel as the Dell 2407WFP, they don't. I believe the Dell is acually using an LG panel.

Take a look here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222

The Dell uses a LM201W01 whereas the Samsung uses a LTM240M2 - although they are both SPVAs. Actually, from what I've read the upcoming Samsung 245T also uses the LTM240M2 panel.

Anyways, I just wanted to put that out there because it was irking me a bit seeing a few people in here say that they were the same, or slamming the Samsung for the Dell's faults.

I realize that post above isn't definitive, but the Samsung doesn't seem to be having as many problems as the Dell - a factor pushing me to buy the Samsung for ~$300 more (as well as clean component inputs).

LG panel is used on the 2007wfp model. 2407wfp uses Samsung LTM-240M2 ... you can get this info from the service menu. and the screen shots have been posted in this forum and others multiple times. Same panel is used for Acer and 2 of Eizo 24 inchers... the link needs to be revised

Just recieved my A02 in the mail and I must say, vertical and horizontal gradients look perfect. Definately improved from my A00 that I recieved to begin with. Looks like I'll be keepin this one. :D

mine is an LTM240L2

i think i'm going to keep it. as much as some of the issues bother me i just can't get over the feeling of playing games on the huge mofo!

Sorry, thanks for setting the record straight, Askanison.

By the way, does the Dell 2407FPW experience "input lag" which some might call mouse lag?

i'd have to say with out a camera and stop watch- no.

i've read that we have in our own sight process a 50ms delay. a blink takes around 200 to 400 ms. you're talking about really noticing a delay that spans less than the time it takes for you to begin to think about blinking.

my opinion, it's just an excuse to use when you get your ass handed to you in a game.

I am got two 2405 about 2 months ago, and I am not happy with the viewing angles. I almost have to sit 4 to 5 feet away from the monitor and look direct at it to see an evenly toned image.

on paper it saids it got a 178° viewing angles but it dont' look like it. I also have a Samsung 213T and the viewing angle on that is almost perfect and it only got a 170° vewing angle on paper.

how is the 2407 doing on the viewing angles. it also got a 178° on paper.

Back