Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Hi everyone,

My BenQ FP241W monitor has a manufacturing date of June 2007, Rev B5-128.

I was thinking about buying a component cable for my original PAL Xbox 1 console (not 360) and a PAL Wii.

Will I experience any problems over component with these consoles?

Will games show at the correct aspect ratio (either 4:3 or 16:9) and can I choose between 1:1/Aspect/Full?

If there are problems with component I will just buy a SCART cable instead for my TV downstairs. Thanks for any advice.

If it's a June 2007 revision, you should be fine using a component cable for either console. Only problem is that if you choose 480p it will be set at 3:2 aspect ratio, but 4:3 and 16:9 ratios are handled properly and even without overscan on component, which is a rare trait. Turning off overscan allows the image to be shown without cutting off 5% of the screen on each side (top, bottom, left, right), and is great.

Hi everyone,

My BenQ FP241W monitor has a manufacturing date of June 2007, Rev B5-128.

I was thinking about buying a component cable for my original PAL Xbox 1 console (not 360) and a PAL Wii.

Will I experience any problems over component with these consoles?

Will games show at the correct aspect ratio (either 4:3 or 16:9) and can I choose between 1:1/Aspect/Full?

If there are problems with component I will just buy a SCART cable instead for my TV downstairs. Thanks for any advice.

Hi 10e, thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit confused about 480p. Wikipedia says that the original PAL Xbox and Wii can output games in 480p. If I use component, will both consoles output games in 480p by default? If so, then I will get the incorrect 3:2 aspect ratio that you mentioned.

Ideally I would like to see games output in 16:9 for both consoles without aspect ratio problems. How can I achieve this?

Last edited:
I need help and I'm running out of options.

For the past week I have been trying to get my BenQ FP241W do display resolution 1920x1200 via hdmi. I am using the latest nvidia drivers for a GeForce 7800 GS graphics card. The source is a PC with XP 32-bit with DVI to HDMI cable to BenQ LCD monitor.

I have tried everything suggested in this forum with no luck. The custom resolution still does not fill the screen. I have to move my mouse down to get the task bar.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I just got a 241W, hooked it up to HDMI and couldn't display 1920 x 1200 and tried to force it as a custom resolution but that didn't work. So i'm using a D-Sub at the moment but the text and and everything is all blurry/not sharp at all definitely not as clear as my laptop display. I haven't really configured it cuz I don't know how can anyone help?

to: realspinner and outlawzsm

the forum has been saying that hdmi is not the best input on this monitor. Your dvi -> hdmi cable is then going from a great source at your video card to a poor input at your monitor.

Is there anything preventing you from using a dvi-d cable from your video card to your monitor? .....

My setup is using dvi-d cable from a 256 mb video card, ATI radeon. the monitor is set to Dvi-d input. Its a new enough firmware to include 1:1 mapping. I am getting great resolution at 1920 x 1200. Sharp picture to the edges of the monitor, with no loss of image at the edges. The tip of the mouse is visible on the left edge and top of monitor, and the right edge and bottom of the monitor.

Will some kind soul please post the EDID block AND Extension block data of their DVI and HDMI ports? If you have a firmware with the 1:1 pixel mapping fix, though.

I need proper timing codes to fix this overscan issue, since I can't get the latest firmware update.

Oh and please turn the overscan option to off before gathering the edid data. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello and sorry to bump the thread,

I am interested in purchasing an undamaged BenQ FP241W original open box and all original packaging (styrofoam, etc.), but
NOT the BenQ FP241W LCD Monitor, Installation CD-ROM, Manual, Quick start guide, Power cable, D-Sub cable (VGA cable), DVI-D cable, HDMI cable or USB cable, etc.

The reason I want to purchase the original open box and all original packing by itself is my BenQ FP241W LCD Monitor arrived undamaged but with a crushed original box and damaged packaging which could not be reused and was discarded. I am currently planning on shipping my BenQ FP241W internationally and would prefer to ship it in its original box than have to repackage it myself.

I will pay anyone $50 USD and USPS Postage immediately through eBay if you would be willing to list the box and packaging as a stand-alone Buy It Now item on eBay, just reply to this thread.

Thank You,
sdonegan

interesting, i know i still have mine. anytime i move the lcd i move it in its original packaging

Wish I still had my original box as I need to move offices soon.

I've been looking at picking up a new lcd panel for home and I'm wondering if going with one of the newer 120hz TN panels will be an IQ upgrade or downgrade from this panel. Can anyone weigh in that's had such an experience?

I've been looking at picking up a new lcd panel for home and I'm wondering if going with one of the newer 120hz TN panels will be an IQ upgrade or downgrade from this panel. Can anyone weigh in that's had such an experience?

no idea, i was wondering the same thing. i own the fp241vw and last time i checked it was still a damn good LCD so finding something that is equal or better may be hard/cost more

I had a AW2310 from Dell/Alienware (Rev A00) and wound up sending it back immediately. The PQ was literally a night and day difference, and I wasn't about to let the screen take some time to mature when the return window was only 14 days after purchase.

I'm in the same boat as you, however. My screen is starting to go out, and has been for a while, and I'm desperately hunting for a replacement that can measure up or exceed what this one can do. I was hoping that the BenQ VA panel from the other thread would be good, but now I'm hearing mixed things.

Maybe the BenQ 120Hz one will score higher?

I replaced mine recently with my ZR24W. My Benq got screen burn in. I didn't remember it had a 3 year warranty. If I acted sooner I could of got it fixed. Spoke with Benq and couldn't get any kind of price other then 65 bucks just to look at it. In the end I am very happy with my new monitor. I had them side by side for a bit and the HP looks better. Its also a faster monitor so I gained in that area also.

I have had this monitor for about 2 years now and I love it! but im starting to get some screen burnin. Is there a way to correct this? or will benq replace/fix under war?

My BenQ FP241W 24" LCD monitor suddenly started flickering this morning. The brightness varies slightly now but it's noticeable. I can't be sure if there is no lateral movement (might be imagining this). That monitor is a replacement unit I got on February 28th 2007 in lieu of one I had bought on Feb. 3rd but which had some dead pixels (I had a no dead pixel warranty). So it's only 4 years old.

The video card to which it is hooked is a Diamond Radeon 4870 1GB I bought on Sept. 19th 2008. So it's only 2 years old.

The flickering only lasts 1-2 minutes, not long enough to connect the monitor via VGA cable and boot up my old IBM Thinkpad A21e laptop to make sure it's not the videocard. This has happened twice in the last 3 hours. My guess at the moment is that the florescent backlight tube is starting to go. I've kept the brightness no too high( 30 all the time, 50 contrast) to make the display last longer. ~13h of use per day for 4 years means ~19,000h. The life expectancy of the backlight is supposed to be 50,000h. I'm not even half way there but I doubt this is still under warranty.

Bummer! That monitor has served me so well until now. Only some burn-in but I can live with that. Not particularly in the mood to buy another one as most are 1920x1080 and TN panels now.

Anyone else experiences such brightness flickering (this is not the old blackout problem); I never got that?

Thanks in advance.

i am looking to sell my FP241VW.

its 2 years old, great condition, always been moved in box, have original box, works great

PM me

Hi,

can anyone tell me when BenQ switched to the A-MVA panel on the FP241W?

I'be been using my Sep '07 model for 3 years now and I'm still happy with it. Today I got another one manufactured in Aug '07 for dual monitor setup. In the OSD I have 1:1 pixel mapping and Overscan function, so its definitely a newer one, but do they both have the same (A-MVA) panel?

Regards

Stefan

If you display a pure black color on it, does the black glow purple when viewed from above?

I have a FP241W and I can't get it to work with Windows 7. The VGA will work, but not the DVI-D. But it will work fine on my Mac. Anybody know what the problem could be? I tried finding drivers for Windows 7 but couldn't and the CD that came with the monitor gives me an error when i try to put it in saying it isn't compatible with the version of Windows I'm running. Any ideas? I really love this monitor and don't want to have to replace a perfectly working monitor. Thanks.

Bump!

I know this is an older monitor but it still a great one and I really need to get it working with Windows 7 and I'm sure there must be somebody who still uses it.

I have a FP241W and I can't get it to work with Windows 7. The VGA will work, but not the DVI-D. But it will work fine on my Mac. Anybody know what the problem could be? I tried finding drivers for Windows 7 but couldn't and the CD that came with the monitor gives me an error when i try to put it in saying it isn't compatible with the version of Windows I'm running. Any ideas? I really love this monitor and don't want to have to replace a perfectly working monitor. Thanks.

Mine worked fine with Windows 7. About the only things I can think of are maybe try installing the Benq drivers for it, or maybe it needs a firmware update. I didn't have to do either when I had mine though.

I've not tried mine with win7 and I run Linux on it now, however certainly with vista x64 I did nothing special, so I'm somewhat surprised that you're having issues.

There are vista drivers on the benq site, maybe try them?

Thanks for the reples guys. Windows 7 won't recognize mine if connected via DVI. It only works with VGA. First I thought the problem could be with the cable or DVD-I port but I have windows XP installed on the same machine in a different drive and it works with DVI and my Mac also works with DVI and the same monitor. So it has to be Windows 7. I tried installing Vista 64 drivers but still didn't work and Benq doesn't seem to have drivers for Windows 7. I just don't know what could be really.

@Mer1:
Yes, they both glow purple on the left and right side when viewing from above. What does that mean now regarding the panel?

Hi all, I'm fresh here :)
I like to ask you......... I'm near to buy a monitor, and I've about 280$ to spend,
I guy offered me this BenQ FP241W (buyed summer 2007 - with 1:1 pixel...), the monitor it says it's in really good condition........ I'm not an expert, what it's more important to know about if it still OK?
Question is:
1- It's better to spend the money on a good new TN monitor or this Benq still win even after about 4 years of use?
2- I've to consider it a risky monitor, lamps will die soon? or panels prob.???

I'm just work with Photos, some Video edit. and games...
What's more convinient

sorry my eng

Suggest me please :mad:

Personally I'd go for the BenQ at that price over a new TN.. although I have other 1920x1200 displays to match it up with. They're usually pretty rare to see being sold these days.

Do you know how long the guy left it on each day? The lamps are rated for about 50,000 hours IIRC so it should still have life left in it.

I got mine in summer 2008 and it's still running fine (turned on around half the day). If you can't stretch to the price of something like a new ZR24W, and don't want to downgrade to 1080p then this monitor is still a great display.

Bump!

I know this is an older monitor but it still a great one and I really need to get it working with Windows 7 and I'm sure there must be somebody who still uses it.

I can't think of why Windows 7 would cause issues with the monitor that is very very strange...I haven't had a single issue with mine and have been using 7 since RC1...

Three things to try if you haven't already...

1st and easiest is changing graphics card drivers (upgrading to latest or if you have the latest maybe rolling back)

2nd If you don't have the latest firmware installed on the monitor maybe look into getting that sorted..can't remember if you can do it yourself (I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere :p) but the BenQ repair place I've had to deal with while slow where very helpful (and the slow wasn't their fault) they also might be able to give you an answer as to whats doing it if none of these work

3rd if you have access to a replacement graphics card (can borrow one off a friend or swap one in from another computer or whatever) maybe try that

all of these are odd solutions but with odd problems odd solutions sometimes are the answer and you certainly have an odd problem....

Personally I'd go for the BenQ at that price over a new TN.. although I have other 1920x1200 displays to match it up with. They're usually pretty rare to see being sold these days.

Do you know how long the guy left it on each day? The lamps are rated for about 50,000 hours IIRC so it should still have life left in it.

I got mine in summer 2008 and it's still running fine (turned on around half the day). If you can't stretch to the price of something like a new ZR24W, and don't want to downgrade to 1080p then this monitor is still a great display.

That's an AWESOME price for this monitor (if you can find it new it still goes for over $1000 IF)

as for him running it all the time well the power saving on it (unless he was stupid enough to turn it off) should have preserved the backlight nicely

I've had mine since 07 and yes I had to have a panel replaced last year but that was from some odd 'bruising' that appeared on it (plus side fresh panel as of 2010 :p) I think someone damaged it and didn't tell me >_< can't think of anything that could have caused that other than that >_<

If you don't want it and the monitor has no problems currently PM me and I'll buy it off your friend :p

*edit* 50,000 hours technically is over 5 years of 24/7 running so if they aren't lying about it's lifespan your *fine* in that regard at least

Last edited:
I can't think of why Windows 7 would cause issues with the monitor that is very very strange...I haven't had a single issue with mine and have been using 7 since RC1...

Three things to try if you haven't already...

1st and easiest is changing graphics card drivers (upgrading to latest or if you have the latest maybe rolling back)

2nd If you don't have the latest firmware installed on the monitor maybe look into getting that sorted..can't remember if you can do it yourself (I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere :p) but the BenQ repair place I've had to deal with while slow where very helpful (and the slow wasn't their fault) they also might be able to give you an answer as to whats doing it if none of these work

3rd if you have access to a replacement graphics card (can borrow one off a friend or swap one in from another computer or whatever) maybe try that

all of these are odd solutions but with odd problems odd solutions sometimes are the answer and you certainly have an odd problem....

Thanks. I have tried it all but the firmware update. But I bought mine new in February 2008, so I thought I had the last released firmware. Has there been a new firmware released since then?
No idea what's going on. With my second computer (so a different graphics card) I could at least get it to run at 1920x1080 (instead of it's native 1920x1200) if I switch it to 8bit using the Nvidia control panel. The weird thing is if I go to color management the profile FP241W is there. But I can't chose it under the Change Resolution control panel. All it's available is "Generic display device".
Funnily enough it works just fine with my Mac Pro and I have never installed any drivers for it under OSX. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I just tried hooking this monitor up to my pc with a sapphire 6950 using an hdmi cable

Everything works fine, but when I go to power down the PC the monitor

never shuts off. the green onlight remains and my screen shows a blue background.

Is this monitor only meant to be used on a pc with dvi?

OS win 7 pro

Last edited:
Does this monitor support HDMI from video card to monitor connection?

My monitor never shuts off in HDMI when I shut the computer off

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

I just tried hooking this monitor up to my pc with a sapphire 6950 using an hdmi cable

Everything works fine, but when I go to power down the PC the monitor

never shuts off. the green onlight remains and my screen shows a blue background.

Is this monitor only meant to be used on a pc with dvi?

OS win 7 pro

It doesn't support power save over HDMI. It just shows a blue screen if I remember correctly.

DVI and VGA support power save.

Hey All. I'm planning on selling my FP241VW (3yrs old). What would be a good price to sell it at?

Newer A-MVA panels are so cheap and better in some aspects, I doubt you could get much. I would just keep it as a 2ndary display for the extra resolution since they don't make 1200p MVA panels any more and grab a Samsung S24A650D for 220$ (Canada) /280$ (US) or a BenQ GW2450HM. The Samsung has better image quality while the GW245 has less ghosting.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-samsung-s24a650d-led.html

Newer A-MVA panels are so cheap and better in some aspects, I doubt you could get much. I would just keep it as a 2ndary display for the extra resolution since they don't make 1200p MVA panels any more and grab a Samsung S24A650D for 220$ (Canada) /280$ (US) or a BenQ GW2450HM. The Samsung has better image quality while the GW245 has less ghosting.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-samsung-s24a650d-led.html

Don't need it as a secondary as I already have one. Not looking to replace it either.. just to sell it since it's collecting dust.

Hi
I know this thread is quite old but I'm still using my FP241W monitor and it works very well with my computer but after all those years I was hope that I will finally find that "magic" firmware for it. I've never used any game console with my monitor until last year when I bought Xbox One S and because my monitor's firmware is from May 2007, it has no overscan option and I hate this cutted screen while playing on my console :( If there's a someone who could tell me where to find June 2007 firmware, I would be gratefull. I've spoken with Benq few years ago but they didn't want to help me. I know I could buy a new monitor but I already have two (the other one is Phiilps wit d-sub and dvi) and no more space on my desk for another monitor.

Back