Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

For those that took theirs to the Middlefield location, how long did it take for them to do the update? Will I have to drive back to pick it up?

I would just like to thank everyone on this thread for all of the information that they have provided. It has been [Bpriceless[/B] in making a decision and has probably saved me at least a thousand dollars and a trip through tech support hell.:)

I agree. I ended up doing a lot of measuring, and talked my wife into the idea that 37" wasn't too huge... and went with the Westy 37w3 (should be her Wed... whoo hoo)... but this BenQ would have probably been my next choice if I had to stay with the 24" size. It does look like a great monitor, even though BenQ certainly could have handled the situation with a bit more elegance. I'm glad to see people are getting them fixed, and that the update seems to fix it up nicely. From everything I've read in this forum, this still looks like the best of 24" LCDs.

Hi ,
This ones for Mastiha , i am in Sydney also and i am buying this monitor.
I was just wondering what service center you took your monitor to for the repair?
Was it Thomas Electronics ESG?

Thanks in advance

I was wondering if there is anyone reading this thread that can tell us more about the process of upgrading the firmware on this monitor? Just wondering....... I was reading that Benq was supplying equipment to do the fix.

I was wondering if there is anyone reading this thread that can tell us more about the process of upgrading the firmware on this monitor? Just wondering....... I was reading that Benq was supplying equipment to do the fix.

it has to be sent to benq for the firmware to be upgraded, if you try to do it yourself, you'll void your warranty. :(

I was reading on an Australian forum that a guy had his fixed in 20 minutes while he waited at a service center. centre downunder.

I was wondering if 1080p from the xbox 360 on vga is working. If I remember correctly, it wasn't on this monitor. I was wondering if the recent 360 update or the monitor firmware update would have fixed it.

Thanks

I was wondering if 1080p from the xbox 360 on vga is working. If I remember correctly, it wasn't on this monitor. I was wondering if the recent 360 update or the monitor firmware update would have fixed it.

Thanks

HUH? Where did you hear that?

No, VGA/component runs in 1080P on this monitor.

I wonder if there will be future firmware updates that will cause the same problems?

It isn't user upgradable. They either need to train you how to do it, or do it themselves.

Here are your options:

1. Wait until 1:1 mapping versions are confirmed being shipped from the vendor that you are purchasing from.

2. Send your monitor to the depot of BenQ to get it upgraded.

3. Drop off your monitor at a local depot of BenQ to get it upgraded.

Thank you for your response. I realize the firmware is not user upgradable. I just want to know why.

HUH? Where did you hear that?

No, VGA/component runs in 1080P on this monitor.

I quickly looked back and post 1609 on page 81 says that. That is just an example. I have been following this post and other area's on this monitor and I was under the impression that at least at one time there was an issue. Most likely caused by the 360 because alot of monitors/tv's had issues.

If this isn't the case or if it isn't the case anymore, that is great.

I quickly looked back and post 1609 on page 81 says that. That is just an example. I have been following this post and other area's on this monitor and I was under the impression that at least at one time there was an issue. Most likely caused by the 360 because alot of monitors/tv's had issues.

If this isn't the case or if it isn't the case anymore, that is great.

No it runs fine. I have this monitor and I have hooked up my xbox360 via component/vga cable.

However, I find component is too dark but the colours are much more vibrant.
VGA on the other hand has washed out colours but brighter.
This is a general issue with xbox360's vga output.

Take your pick.

Hopefully the firmware fixes the limited (useless) PIP funtionality. I planned on using the BenQ as a TV/Computer monitor since it has "HDMI" and "Composite" inputs. The BenQ's PIP doesn't allow you to view "HDMI", Composite, DVI and even VGA on the PIP screen (WTF!), and lack of 1:1 means that whatever inputs you connect it to other than a PC will be distorted. I connected my DVD player to the BenQ's Component input. The picture was stretched so bad that it was laughable. Not to mention that I couldn’t even view the DVD in the PIP window. The BenQ doesn’t allow that.

If the Benq didn’t have such a great picture quality I would sell it and get another Gateway. The Gateway better serves my purpose with features that were actually though out before they were implemented.

Hopefully the firmware fixes the limited (useless) PIP funtionality. I planned on using the BenQ as a TV/Computer monitor since it has "HDMI" and "Composite" inputs. The BenQ's PIP doesn't allow you to view "HDMI", Composite, DVI and even VGA on the PIP screen (WTF!), and lack of 1:1 means that whatever inputs you connect it to other than a PC will be distorted. I connected my DVD player to the BenQ's Component input. The picture was stretched so bad that it was laughable. Not to mention that I couldn’t even view the DVD in the PIP window. The BenQ doesn’t allow that.

If the Benq didn’t have such a great picture quality I would sell it and get another Gateway. The Gateway better serves my purpose with features that were actually though out before they were implemented.

If you have your computer hooked to the monitor, why are you not using the computer's dvd drive to watch your movies upscaeld and get non-stretch at the same time?

It's not user upgradable because that would add to cost. It adds a few components but it also adds a lot of testing time.

Hi All,

just received this email from repairtech.co.uk:

<<<<<<<<<<<

Dear Sir,

I can confirm we will be performing the firmware upgrade on the FP241W monitor should this be required. To proceed with this service you will need to first contact our RMA hotline on 0207 216 00 39. They will take all of your details and advise you of the next step.

Should you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards,
Lauren Wright

BenQ Customer Account Manager
Tel: +44 (0) 871 855 31 67
Fax: +44 (0) 870 811 44 66
email: [email protected]

>>>>>>>>>>

So all UK forum members can now get the upgrade installed!!!

It's not user upgradable because that would add to cost. It adds a few components but it also adds a lot of testing time.

Thanks for the process information. Can you tell me anymore? Will BFI need components or will that be a firmware update also?

I would just like to thank everyone on this thread for all of the information that they have provided. It has been [Bpriceless[/B] in making a decision and has probably saved me at least a thousand dollars and a trip through tech support hell.:) I have been lurking and following this thread since the beginning (dam its been a long time) and I have finally pulled the trigger. I ordered one from NCIX tonight with express shipping and no dead pixel warranty, (i am hoping it will arrive on wednesday/thursday), and I can't wait. After months of waiting, it looks like BenQ is finally sorting this mess out. I wish everyone who has or is having problems with the monitor the best of luck (I may be back looking for solutions, but I hope not;) ).
Anyway, I have noticed the lack of high quality pictures on this thread so far,(no offense to anyone who has posted pictures on this forum, like I said, it is because of those that I purchased this monitor) and I feel like I should contribute in some way. Once I get my monitor, I will be taking some pictures with my Canon 30D (An 8 Mgpxl DSLR-a good camera) for the common good. I hope it will help. If anyone has any requests for images, let me know.I have a 360,original xbox,PS2,Gamecube, (N64 just in case someone is curious:p ), I also have some 1080P movies (Gladiator,Goodfellas,Blackhawk Down) and some 720P movies on my pc,(Pulp Fiction,Fifth Element,The Untouchables)(make a request for a movie, I might have it) so I will be hooking that up with Gears:D . Can't wait!
Please, do not hesitate to, either pm me at this site with requests of items that havent had pictures taken of them yet.
Thanks again for everyone on this thread who has put in hours dealing with BenQ and tech support. Without the members in this forum, this fix would never have happened. Just goes to show that the power is still with the people. Thanks again.

I've also got one on order from NCIX... Although it seems to be stuck in their product availability stage (they have them in stock, so I hope they don't go out of stock)...

I'm concerned with the DVI issue people are talking about... When you get your--or when anybody gets their monitor from NCIX--monitor, can you let us know if you have DVI issues?

Thanks in advance... I'll post if I get mine before that...

Jafro, I expect no less than 50 pictures from you :)

Sign up and upload them to photobucket.com (unless you have a webhost of sorts already)

Oh please. Opposed to paying shipping and waiting 3 weeks to those who don't live near a repair center?

I have an HDTV that has a user upgradeable firmware and the TV is stellar and affordable. IMO this display, and ALL displays for that matter, should have user upgradeable firmware. It would not add much of a cost, would reduce cost in labor at repair centers and reduce the total bullshit that people who pay (overpay IMO) for this monitor have to deal with just to get basic functionality that should have shipped with this LCD.

Oh please. Opposed to paying shipping and waiting 3 weeks to those who don't live near a repair center?

I have an HDTV that has a user upgradeable firmware and the TV is stellar and affordable. IMO this display, and ALL displays for that matter, should have user upgradeable firmware. It would not add much of a cost, would reduce cost in labor at repair centers and reduce the total bullshit that people who pay (overpay IMO) for this monitor have to deal with just to get basic functionality that should have shipped with this LCD.

AMEN, MAN LAW!

Hi All,

just received this email from repairtech.co.uk:

<<<<<<<<<<<

Dear Sir,

I can confirm we will be performing the firmware upgrade on the FP241W monitor should this be required. To proceed with this service you will need to first contact our RMA hotline on 0207 216 00 39. They will take all of your details and advise you of the next step.

Should you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards,
Lauren Wright

BenQ Customer Account Manager
Tel: +44 (0) 871 855 31 67
Fax: +44 (0) 870 811 44 66
email: [email protected]

>>>>>>>>>>

So all UK forum members can now get the upgrade installed!!!

thanks for the info, will have to give them a call and get it sorted asap, at least there is now some evidence that repairtech have the parts and have been trained to do the update

Thanks again for the information. We have few resources like you. Anymore information that you can give us will be appreciated.

If you have your computer hooked to the monitor, why are you not using the computer's dvd drive to watch your movies upscaeld and get non-stretch at the same time?

I do watch DVD's on my computer (no other choice). That wouldn&#8217;t address hooking up, say, a Cable Box or a DIRECTV HD receiver. I planned on being able to watch my DIRECTV (I have two Dtv boxes), in a PIP box while doing computer work. PIP doesn't work for HDMI or Composite on the Benq. I could use Component or S-video but then the picture would be low quality Standard Definition (I have an HD box), and would be stretched by the benq to 16:10. There isn't an excuse benq should have given PIP funtionality for all inputs, or at least one the HD inputs (Composite, HDMI).

1:1 doesnt work for HDMI or component you mean? I thought 1:1 only worked on certain groups of inputs.

I just bought this monitor 2 weeks ago from newegg and got it with the older firmware.
Do I need to call up the BenQ support line and jsut tell them that I need a firmware update?

Also has anyone else had problems with their warranty registration cards being returned to sender?

so it appears that ncix is receiving monitors without firmware update but they do go ahead and apply the firmware before they ship which really is awesome. just called and found that out today

Can someone finally confirm that their "older" (prior Dec man. date) LCDs work as they should: no DVI sinal errors and such after the firmware upgrade. I know when everything is working people stop coming to the forum all together & posting their success stories - all we see are isolated problems. Please respond to confirm that your newely flashed LCD works without any problems!!!!

Thanks again for the information. We have few resources like you. Anymore information that you can give us will be appreciated.

Actually... Ferris23 is probably right. My 20 dollar router has user upgradable firmware - it would make sense if an 800 dollar display did too. They would need to take advantage of the USB connection I guess.

I'm not sure what BFI is, maybe I missed that one.

That's old news Cleve, look back a page or two :)

what i meant to say is that i thought ncix was receiving new production monitors with firmware already done from benQ but it seems ncix is taking care of firmware update themselves and therefore delaying slightly shipment of my monitor.

so it appears that ncix is receiving monitors without firmware update but they do go ahead and apply the firmware before they ship which really is awesome. just called and found that out today

I also talked to NCIX today and they confirmed there was a delay in shipping, because they had to implement the firmware update...

1) Their in-house upgrade doesn't void the factory warranty does it?
2) What are the odds they'll test the DVI after the firmware update to confirm that it's working (hehe, before they ship it)...

Looking forward to hearing more information about everything...

I just bought this monitor 2 weeks ago from newegg and got it with the older firmware.
Do I need to call up the BenQ support line and jsut tell them that I need a firmware update?

Also has anyone else had problems with their warranty registration cards being returned to sender?

Call Benq @ 1-866-600-2367. I just got my RMA number. The place that will perform the update is about 30 miles away. I think that I'll just drive there and drop it off.

Also, I didn't register my monitor. The Benq rep asked for my serial number and then verified it.

I have read this thread until my eyes bleed, and all the info on P-MVA panels and S-PVA panels I could find, but I still can't answer this...

I have seen the difference between a Dell 2007wfp with S-IPS and S-PVA, and I cannot stand the PVA because of the viewing angle issues. You have to move to the side a bit to see the detail that S-IPS shows without trouble. How is the P-MVA with that issue? According to TFT Central, all VA's have this problem, and on a 24" I would think it would be worse because of the greater difference in angle from center to edges.

Anybody have any thoughts?

P-MVA and S-PVA both suffer from the same kind of issues really, which is accute contrast and colour differences as you move away from the perpendicular view of the screen. In practice, it's not really noticeable to many users at all, and i doubt many owners of VA based screens ever even see this. If you've used a screen and did notice it, then avoid VA and look for S-IPS (nont without it's viewing angle anomalies though :)) but most users won't see this as an issue i'd suggest

Question for those (lucky few !) who have an 1:1 upgraded monitor:

Does the 1:1/aspect fix function on all inputs, or only through DVI & HDMI ?
I am planning on watching old fashion 4:3 cable TV through the S-Video input. Does anyone know if the update applies to all inputs ??

I am starting to regret selling my 2407WFP A03 - at least the PIP and aspect scaling worked flawlessly :( :rolleyes:

PS. I am new to this forum - this thread is sooo long - is 106 pages normal, or is it a record :)

Back