Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Yes... BenQ might have blown it for me... we'll see. I got frustrated (I would have bought one already... if they were on the level about the 1:1 issue), and started looking at other options. I ran across the Westinghouse LVM-37w3. While it is much bigger (37") than I originally wanted... I think it will be OK, and does all I want it to do. Now if I can just find a great deal on one (people keep getting them on specials for under $900).

I'll also see if the 26" and 27" models come out soon, etc. unless I find a deal on the Westy first. BenQ still has a bit of a chance... as it is kind of my fall back option now.

The Westinghouse is a good alternative but it's not the perfect solution either as it has issues as well. If you live in Canada, it's not even being sold here only the older w1 version is. As well, it's response time is not as good as Benq.

On top of that, it's HDMI input has issues with HDCP handshaking depending on which device you hook it up to. We have the 42" version at work and there's definitely overscan problems with the 2nd DVI connection (and this is our 2nd unit - returned the 1st one).

My 2cent is either wait for the 1:1 update which should be soon or wait and see what new Dell monitors are coming out this year...of course with Dell there's always the numerous firm update revisions. Look at the 2407 as an example.

On top of that, it's HDMI input has issues with HDCP handshaking depending on which device you hook it up to.

I think that is going to be an ongoing issue no matter what kind of devices you pick. This whole HDCP thing is just a huge mess. It is hard enough to follow for geeks... wait till the average consumer starts getting burned by it.

HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) devolped by Intel and the movie industrials as DRM (Digital Right Management) for Hd-movies released on Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Problem: All your hardware needs to be HDCP ready and most of the graphic cards don't have the build in HDCP Chip yet! Also your DvD player needs to be HDCP-ready and last but not least your monitor also!

With HDCP the movie industrial complex can even make your movie not/or only playing in low resolution mode when you have the DvD in your home DvDplayer!!!

They made a soft "gentelement's agreement"until the year 2010 de movie compagnies will not deliver their movies with the ICT (Image Constraint Token)
which constrains the movie quality (Not or only in low res.) on non HDCP apparature.

So, everything is not in favor for us rightious consumers so if it says ICT on the (HD)DvD cover don't buy it! Get rid of DRM & HDCP! :[

HDCP = High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection.
DRM = Digital Right Management
ICT = Image Constraint Token
HDMI = DVI and sound in one cabel.

So back to the PIP matter, am I to understand that if you're using your computer, you can't bring up a PIP component screen?

So back to the PIP matter, am I to understand that if you're using your computer, you can't bring up a PIP component screen?
That's correct, as far as I understand it. According to the manual (see the bottom of page 29), the inputs are broken into 2 groups: VGA, DVI, HDMI, Component form the first group, and composite and s-video form the other. PIP can't be used with two inputs from the same group. So if your computer is hooked up through DVI, say, then you could only use PIP with either s-video or composite.

How about if I am using my computer on VGA, could I then use component PIP?
No... if the main display input is from VGA, DVI, HDMI, or component, then the only inputs that could be displayed in PIP are composite or s-video. So in other words, you can only use component PIP if the main display is showing either s-video or composite input.

(Keep in mind that I don't actually own this monitor yet, this info is all taken from the online manual -- anyone with this monitor please do correct me if the manual is actually incorrect :)).

PIP has always seemed kind of gimmicky to me, I've never really used it on other devices and this isn't something I'd really consider when buying a monitor. However, I'm a little surprised by the way PIP is implemented here -- it seems like it was only added as an afterthought, since it can only be used if one of the sources is either s-video or composite. Pretty much all current devices are going to be connected via component, VGA, DVI, or HDMI, and none of these inputs can be used with each other through PIP, so this seems like another "feature" that in practice turns out to be not very useful.

Read today that LG will be showing off their 24" FLATRON L246WP at CES this year...

Supposed to have HDMI, Component, 1000:1, 8ms response... Does anybody know how LG panels compare (granted it'd all be speculation at this point) to what BenQ is using...

If an LG 24" shows up before the BenQ 1:1 fix is implemented, I might be tempted away from the FP241W...

I think all 24" monitors from now on should be 1080p with 1:1 pixel mapping, it's just dumb for them not to be.

The official benq resellers that actually have the FP214W (for around $800):
newegg
newegg is only one we have info on since someone here bought on Dec 28th and received November model without new firmware.
They confirmed to me that there is no possible way for them to know if they are still shipping displays made in november, nor would they add any kind of note to an order specifying a preference for the December model.
macconnection
Replied that their inventory is in another state and have no way to specify which version I'd get if I order from them now.
superwarehouse
insight
cdw

No replies from the others yet.
I'll update this list to mention more folks recieved November models this week from newegg.
I received one more reply from my initial queries; this one is from CDW:
We currently don’t have any in stock, it currently would be a backordered item. The new shipments would probably be the new version, however we can’t tell what the suppliers are sending us. Unless the manufacture has changed the part # on the product, we wouldn’t know which version it is.
p.s. I ordered all my new pc parts from newegg last friday; I got case and ram today but have to wait until next week for the rest to arrive. :( darn holidays slowing them down! :rolleyes:

PIP has always seemed kind of gimmicky to me, I've never really used it on other devices and this isn't something I'd really consider when buying a monitor. However, I'm a little surprised by the way PIP is implemented here -- it seems like it was only added as an afterthought, since it can only be used if one of the sources is either s-video or composite. Pretty much all current devices are going to be connected via component, VGA, DVI, or HDMI, and none of these inputs can be used with each other through PIP, so this seems like another "feature" that in practice turns out to be not very useful.

I agree on both counts. PIP on the BenQ is pretty much useless, however, I too think it is mostly a sales gimmick, and have never really used it on any device I've had (other than to just try it initially). I suppose for someone using a computer, it might be nice to have the game or the news in a little window... but I'd just do this with one of the many little great USB/Firewire tuners available. They would be MUCH more flexible than having the monitor do it.... you just drag them around in a window as you work. Also, if you have a HTPC, then they often do it... my MythTV unit will do the PIP on any display.

tyen said:
I received one more reply from my initial queries; this one is from CDW:
Quote:
"We currently don’t have any in stock, it currently would be a backordered item. The new shipments would probably be the new version, however we can’t tell what the suppliers are sending us. Unless the manufacture has changed the part # on the product, we wouldn’t know which version it is."

Well, I like the honesty from CDW. A bit back, I posted that this would likely be the case for any reseller. If BenQ doesn't know which ones are 'fixed'... the resellers sure won't. The only way would be to 'hope' that the new ones you get have the alleged 'fix'. Though, we still don't know there is a fix until someone sees one... its all hear-say at this point.

You either need a receiver or something like the Creative DDTS-100. Well you can also get Logitech adapters but then you would have to unplug and replug in your cables whenever you switch from PC to console.

Can you guys elaborate on sound options? I didn't think about this at all. :eek:
I was thinking to simplify my life by replacing 19" crt monitor and 19" tv in my room with a single display, but it looks like sound is going to be more complicated. :)

The DDTS-100 (cost $120-ish) looks like what I need, since I want to use game console and maybe digital cable along with PC that I already have logitech speakers for (albeit just 2.1); but I'd like to explore the options.
Isn't this something normal stereo receivers do?

Oh yeah, what did you mean by re-plugging logitech adapter, do you mean an rca to minijack adapter so you would plug directly to speakers instead of PC? Since I only have PC and xbox, that might be good enough for now. ( or maybe use the line-in on my soundblaster live)

Hi Tyen,

To get sound, you basically have to take the output from whatever device you are using, amplify it to drive speakers with it. Many of these type displays don't have 'sound' built-in.

I'm not familiar with the device you mentioned, but it kind of looks like a surround processor. It doesn't have the 'amp' part, if you need that. If your logitech speakers already are powered (amplified), then you could probably plug them into that unit.... though you could also probably use them with what you already have with the correct adapter cable (if you have analog outputs rather than just digital).... you just will only get 2 channel sound.

Yes, a receiver would often do the decoding of surround to multiple channels if you get a home theater type unit, as well as the amplification. The other big thing receivers do is to let you plug multiple type inputs in, and use the receiver to switch between them without unplugging and plugging cables.

There are many options here, and we'd have to know your exact setup and budget to give you accurate recommendations.... but that would probably be better to ask in another forum area.... as it really has nothing to do with the BenQ in particular.

Hi guys, first post here. I got the FP241W 2 days ago from Newegg, Nov model so no 1:1 but i called BenQ and spoke to a tech, he comfirmed that there is a firmware fix available but this would involve shipping the monitor to California $65, the turnaround would be 3 weeks.
He asked why i wanted to do this, i told him to use other components with it besides my computer, he said "to be honest buddy i wouldnt bother with the firmware, it honestly wont make a very noticable difference unless your inputting a 4:3 signal, your only losing 200 pixels, but if you really want to do it il email you the forms to be filled out online for the repair".
Now, i have yet to use anything other than my computer on the monitor but im thinking of getting either a PS3 or a 360 at some point so i was looking for the fix for that reason.

On another note, initial impressions on the monitor are excellent, i have 1 dead pixel but its so small i dont even know if its a whole pixel, its on the far right of the screen and you cant really see it, my girl thought i was crazy til i shoved her face right into it, then she saw it:rolleyes:
Backlight bleed is not bad at all.
Colors are awesome.
The only issue im having is a very slight blurring, almost like a transparent outline to the right or left of moving objects etc in games. Im coming from the BenQ FP2091 which in my opinion is an outstanding monitor. I didnt ever see anything like this on that unit so im not sure if this is ghosting or what.
Ive tried 2 different DVI cables and its still there, i ordered a DVI to HDMI cable and a high end DVI cable from Monoprice.com yesterday to see if either of those make any difference.
I bought the FP241W after trying out the Gateway 24" and being really disappointed in it, it had many flaws in the image, primarily the ugly colored blurry shadows or whatever they were around moving objects.
Im just hoping the cables i ordered will get rid of these outlines or maybe i have a bunk unit?
Anyhow, im happy to post some pics or game screens if anyone wants 'em.
Thanks.

Can you guys elaborate on sound options? I didn't think about this at all. :eek:
I was thinking to simplify my life by replacing 19" crt monitor and 19" tv in my room with a single display, but it looks like sound is going to be more complicated. :)

The DDTS-100 (cost $120-ish) looks like what I need, since I want to use game console and maybe digital cable along with PC that I already have logitech speakers for (albeit just 2.1); but I'd like to explore the options.
Isn't this something normal stereo receivers do?

Oh yeah, what did you mean by re-plugging logitech adapter, do you mean an rca to minijack adapter so you would plug directly to speakers instead of PC? Since I only have PC and xbox, that might be good enough for now. ( or maybe use the line-in on my soundblaster live)

The logitech is just an adapter for their speakers. However, you'll only be able to get dolby surround if your speakers support since it only has inputs for the left and right stereo rca cables. Theres also a 2.1 version of the adapter which isn't listed on their website anymore. Theres an image on amazon but its not the right picture

5.1 version
http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/6776.jpg

2.1 version
http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/5872.jpg

Ideally you would want the DDTS-100 since it supports RCA and optical. The logitech adapter would be a cheap solution, but like I said you would have to unplug your speakers from the adapter back onto the PC every time you switch from PC to Console or vice versa. Since the logitech is an adapter you probably will only be able to get dolby surround from games if your speakers and the game supports it. If you want 5.1 then you'll have to spring for the DDTS. 10-15 bucks vs 130 + tax (if it applies).

Hi guys, first post here. I got the FP241W 2 days ago from Newegg, Nov model so no 1:1 but i called BenQ and spoke to a tech, he comfirmed that there is a firmware fix available but this would involve shipping the monitor to California $65, the turnaround would be 3 weeks.
He asked why i wanted to do this, i told him to use other components with it besides my computer, he said "to be honest buddy i wouldnt bother with the firmware, it honestly wont make a very noticable difference unless your inputting a 4:3 signal, your only losing 200 pixels, but if you really want to do it il email you the forms to be filled out online for the repair".
Now, i have yet to use anything other than my computer on the monitor but im thinking of getting either a PS3 or a 360 at some point so i was looking for the fix for that reason.

On another note, initial impressions on the monitor are excellent, i have 1 dead pixel but its so small i dont even know if its a whole pixel, its on the far right of the screen and you cant really see it, my girl thought i was crazy til i shoved her face right into it, then she saw it:rolleyes:
Backlight bleed is not bad at all.
Colors are awesome.
The only issue im having is a very slight blurring, almost like a transparent outline to the right or left of moving objects etc in games. Im coming from the BenQ FP2091 which in my opinion is an outstanding monitor. I didnt ever see anything like this on that unit so im not sure if this is ghosting or what.
Ive tried 2 different DVI cables and its still there, i ordered a DVI to HDMI cable and a high end DVI cable from Monoprice.com yesterday to see if either of those make any difference.
I bought the FP241W after trying out the Gateway 24" and being really disappointed in it, it had many flaws in the image, primarily the ugly colored blurry shadows or whatever they were around moving objects.
Im just hoping the cables i ordered will get rid of these outlines or maybe i have a bunk unit?
Anyhow, im happy to post some pics or game screens if anyone wants 'em.
Thanks.

Please post some gameplay pics, would like to see if it is a ghosting issue.
Thanks.

In regards to the whole issues of using an XBox 360 and this monitor without the 1:1 fix... The 360 does put out a 16:9 aspect right? So the stretching people are complaining about is the stretch from 16:9 to 16:10?

Just curious, I only play PC games but might consider getting a 360 one of these days.

does anyone else think this monitor seems overpriced and understocked in the uk ?

The only place I can find it in stock is overclockers who charge £700 + delivery (approx $1400 equiv)

compared to new eggs $800 inc delivery it seems steep

Are there any US suppliers with this monitor in stock who would ship to the UK ?

Even allowing uk vat and customs tax (about 21% in total), new eggs price would still only end up costing £500 which would mean unless postage cost £200 it would be cheaper to buy from the US ...

Also is the monitor available in any US highstreet electronic stores, I might be going on holiday soon there and would consider bring it bag, I know it weighs 10 kilos but do you think it would be too big to check as hand luggage ?

In regards to the whole issues of using an XBox 360 and this monitor without the 1:1 fix... The 360 does put out a 16:9 aspect right? So the stretching people are complaining about is the stretch from 16:9 to 16:10?

Just curious, I only play PC games but might consider getting a 360 one of these days.
All inputs are stretched to 16:10, including 4:3. But yes, I think most of the complaining is about 16:9 stretched to 16:10.

does anyone else think this monitor seems overpriced and understocked in the uk ?

The only place I can find it in stock is overclockers who charge £700 + delivery (approx $1400 equiv)

compared to new eggs $800 inc delivery it seems steep

Are there any US suppliers with this monitor in stock who would ship to the UK ?

Even allowing uk vat and customs tax (about 21% in total), new eggs price would still only end up costing £500 which would mean unless postage cost £200 it would be cheaper to buy from the US ...

Also is the monitor available in any US highstreet electronic stores, I might be going on holiday soon there and would consider bring it bag, I know it weighs 10 kilos but do you think it would be too big to check as hand luggage ?

yeah ive noticed the price and thought it was quite steep, if you do a search via froogle the cheapest price is £610. Most places dont have them in stock and appear to have an ETA around end of january which could mean theyre waiting for new stock with the firmware fix or have had stock recalled?

Its quite shocking on overclockers to see that the dell 24" is £563 and BenQ at £705; for that price you could get yourself a 32" HDTV; ive been considering it myself and hooking it upto the PC, but the 720p resolution would look quite crappy when connected for PC usage i imagine.

Hmm, caved in and decided to order some home studio equipment instead of the FP241W Z. Frankly this has been going on for too long and I really can´t support a company who fumbles about in marketing/PR department like they do.

I think I will let display technology mature and prices drop, maybe wait till summer. I think by then +24" widescreen 1080p capable displays are more affordable and older models have been rid of any early quirks etc. like not getting the 1:1 right etc.

Home studio eq. like good condenser microphones and external soundcards keep their retail value a lot better. If anyone is contacting BenQ they might give them a wink that people are holding off from buying BenQ products completely because of their maneuvering...

If anyone is contacting BenQ they might give them a wink that people are holding off from buying BenQ products completely because of their maneuvering...

It is troubling because I am waiting on the fixed units to start showing up on newegg, yet if others are waiting for that as well then it is not going to happen anytime soon. I am guessing most people putting $800-900 on a monitor have done their research and will be aware of the defect. It may not matter to many but it is nice to know in the future if they want to get a ps3 or to hook up their digital cable that they can do that.

BenQ would have had me as a big fan if it were not for this inexplainable oversight.

Viewsonic VX2435wm ... 1000:1 contrast, 5ms, HDMI... Available next month for $699...

Anybody got any information on viewsonic panels?

Still holding for BenQ fixes...

Please post some gameplay pics, would like to see if it is a ghosting issue.
Thanks.

Well, after taking a slew of screenshots from various games the ghosting/outline blur is not visible at all, there is a 1 or 2 second delay as the screen freezes for the screenshot so the motion blur or whatever it is obviously doesnt show up.
Im about to call BenQ's tech support and explain to them what im seeing to see what they think. Still waiting on the cables i ordered, im really hoping one of those makes it go away 'cos id hate to have to RMA the damn thing.
Anyone had an RMA experience with Newegg?, how long was the turnaround?
Thanks.

So I ordered the BenQ FP241WZ here in Denmark. I wrote to BenQ (UK) to hear if I could check if my monitor actually have the new firmware installed. They answered:

Dear Sir,

The firmware has not yet been released or implemented. We don't don't
have a release date for this as it is still under investigation.

BenQ Support

Hmmm. Then I asked how I could get it updated if needed. The answer was:

Dear Sir,

We don't have any information about this. Please check our website
regularly for more information.

BenQ Support

So either there is no firmware in the near future or the support guy doesn't know what the deals about. It's a bit annoying, since I was planning to use it for my XBOX 360 aswell...

Just spoke to BenQ again, they said they havnt heard of this particular problem before and recommended I RMA to Newegg. So off it goes in hopes the next one doesnt exhibit the same thing.

I am taking it down to the local BenQ depot to get the update tomorrow! Will let you guys know how it goes when I get it back.

They said it shouldn't take to long.

Viewsonic VX2435wm ... 1000:1 contrast, 5ms, HDMI... Available next month for $699...

Anybody got any information on viewsonic panels?

Still holding for BenQ fixes...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1141108

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2435wm/index.htm

5ms gtg 20ms black-white-black vs the benQ's 6ms gtg 16ms black-white-black
brightness and contrast the same
both have component, composite, s-video inputs
but the viewsonic seems to only have a single digital input so you can't use dvi and hdmi at same time like the BenQ.
the viewsonic has speakers
the viewsonic $100 cheaper if your quote is correct

Tough call. :) I think the inputs are what will drive most decisions. If you want to plug in digital cable with hdmi and your pc with dvi, or pc and ps3/xbox360 both digitally, then you obviosly can't go with the viewsonic.

Yea... I just read through that... I'm definately all about the inputs, otherwise I wouldn't be waiting so desperately for the 1:1 fix... I want inputs and lots of them--working, of course...

Just twiddling my thumbs until the fix... I put my new system together on Friday, and need to replace my broken CRT...

Yea... I just read through that... I'm definately all about the inputs, otherwise I wouldn't be waiting so desperately for the 1:1 fix... I want inputs and lots of them--working, of course...

If the Viewsonic is really a $100 cheaper, then that is almost enough to buy a 5x1 HDMI switch which would give many more inputs than on the BenQ. I don’t really want a separate HDMI switch (separate from my Receiver) in my home theatre set-up because I don’t want another remote/box/complexity for the family. However, for the computer I don’t think I would mind given that I’d be setting right next to the HDMI switch anyway.

That way one would have HDMI inputs for both a PS3 and the rumored HDMI Xbox360 (and other DVD player if desired).

So I ordered the BenQ FP241WZ here in Denmark. I wrote to BenQ (UK) to hear if I could check if my monitor actually have the new firmware installed. They answered:

Dear Sir,

The firmware has not yet been released or implemented. We don't don't
have a release date for this as it is still under investigation.

BenQ Support

Hmmm. Then I asked how I could get it updated if needed. The answer was:

Dear Sir,

We don't have any information about this. Please check our website
regularly for more information.

BenQ Support

So either there is no firmware in the near future or the support guy doesn't know what the deals about. It's a bit annoying, since I was planning to use it for my XBOX 360 aswell...

Hmmm strange, I thought it was already confirmed that the WZ version would have the 1:1 fix by default :rolleyes: . You DID order the Z-verzion right ?? :confused:
I am also in Denmark, and came close to ordering a Z myself, since they are now available from stock, but your post discouaraged me...:(

Please keep us updated - when do you expect to receive it ?
Where did you place your order ?

Thanks...Mikkel

Well, to be fair, while there may be a firmware update for the ordinary FP241W to fix the aspect ratio issue, there may not be an 'update' per se to the FP241WZ firmware, because its original firmware already has support for maintaining a 1:1 aspect ratio and thus doesn't have to be updated.

...I don't know if that makes sense, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

Well, to be fair, while there may be a firmware update for the ordinary FP241W to fix the aspect ratio issue, there may not be an 'update' per se to the FP241WZ firmware, because its original firmware already has support for maintaining a 1:1 aspect ratio and thus doesn't have to be updated.

...I don't know if that makes sense, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

I hope you're right ;)
But until someone who actually owns a Z confirms that 1:1 is fixed, I'll keep my money in my pocket.
The fix is essential, since besides PC-use, I will be running 4:3 TV through the S-video input. It won't look very nice stretched to 16:10 :eek:

You know, I've been following the announcements on new monitors that are being made at CES so far, and I think BenQ really hurt themselves by not getting the FP241WZ and FP241VW out the door sooner. Over the last couple of days, there have been a bunch of new 24 inch monitors announced, all priced at or below $800: Samsung ($799), Viewsonic ($699), Westinghouse ($699), LG (not sure if we've seen a price yet) -- there's also the Sceptre, announced a while ago ($599 ?), and of course the current Gateway and Dell models are relatively inexpensive. Add to that the fact that the Samsung 27 inch will retail for $999, and the Viewsonic 28 inch will retail for $879. Now I know that many of these monitors may not be in the same class as BenQ quality-wise, but I think BenQ is going to have a hard time pushing the WZ and VW versions of their monitors when (a) they can no longer claim to be the only one with HDMI, as many of these new models include it, (b) they are nowhere to be found in retail stores (at least in the US) while many of these other brands are easily found in places like Best Buy, and (c) their official retail prices are over $1000 (even the FP241W has barely dropped below $800), while these other models will start less than this and probably be widely available with discounts and other promotions.

I'm sure a lot of other people are in the same boat as I am -- I've been looking for months for a good 24 inch monitor, have already ruled out the existing Dell, Gateway, and Samsung models due to various problems, but have been hesitant to purchase the BenQ because of its relatively high price and lack of aspect ratio options. Had BenQ introduced the 1:1 fix a month ago, I probably would have broken down and bought it. Hell, if they'd introduced the Z version and demonstrated that BFI was worth the extra money I might have even bought that (if I'm already spending that much money what's another couple hundred dollars, especially when there's nothing else that comes close?). But now, there's a whole bunch of other competition coming, and BenQ has still not made either the updated firmware or the higher end versions available, and to me buying one of these monitors suddenly isn't the no-brainer it was a month ago.

BenQ was in a great position because they had what was pretty clearly the best 24 inch monitor available, but they shot themselves in the foot by not making it widely available or publicized (let's face it, aside from this thread and a handful of other sites, there's not a lot of info on these monitors floating around), by taking too long to fix an issue that was complained about almost immediately after its release, and then by giving their customers unclear, unhelpful, and sometimes contradicting information (when they bothered to respond at all). Unless these upcoming models are all duds, I think BenQ is going to have to seriously rethink its pricing strategy -- professional users willing to pay this much are probably going to tend towards the Eizo or NEC models anyway, and the average user will suddenly be much less interested in paying $1000 for BFI ("why do I need that?") when there will be so many choices in the $600 -- $700 range, or even into the $500s.

Any other thoughts on this? I still think this is a very good monitor, and I'm certainly not ruling it out, but my shopping experience just got a lot more complicated. I'll be curious to see whether the prices of the various BenQ models changes at all due to the recent announcements, and whether the firmware update fully address the aspect ratio issues.

I've been reading all about this issue for a while, because this monitor seemed perfect for me. Even though i'd only mostly use it for my computer, having the option of plugging xbox and other things into it is good...but if it's going to distort the image, then it's not very useful.

So I emailed BenQ Australia support about this, asking about the new firmware that is supposed to come out. I got this reply:

Hi

We are aiming to address this in an updated firmware revision that we are currently testing. Currently the ones we have on sale are using the old revision of the firmware. We aim to ship this model with the new firmware revision in February.

Regards

BenQ Technical Support

Keep in mind this information is for Australia. I hope this helps some people.

Any other thoughts on this? I still think this is a very good monitor, and I'm certainly not ruling it out, but my shopping experience just got a lot more complicated. I'll be curious to see whether the prices of the various BenQ models changes at all due to the recent announcements, and whether the firmware update fully address the aspect ratio issues.

Yes... I agree. I think they blew it. First (as I have stated many times), I'm not sure how they made such a big blunder to begin with. Second, they have handled this quite poorly.

If they addressed it quickly, and / or had published good info on what was happening on their web site... I'd likely have even purchased one and got it fixed later.

Now, as you noted, the competition and pricing have ramped up a notch... and it will be harder sell for them. We'll see.

Back