Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Does anybody "really" know if the FP241W has HDCP? The BenQ spec sheet says that the DVI port has HDCP but it doesn't mention the HDMI port. Could the manufacturer be any more ambiguous? All the forums seem to be full of guesses and opinions but nothing concrete.

So what your saying is that all HDMI ports automatically have HDCP? I know you can have a DVI port with no HDCP.

HDMI and DVI are really the same, except HDMI can carry a digital audio signal in the same cable.

That's why it's so easy to convert HDMI to DVI...the converters are like the ones you see now for VGA to DVI-A.

HDCP is a seperate piece of hardware inside the monitor/television, I THINK.

Come on guys... HDCP isn't hardware. It is high digital content protection, which may be needed in the future to playback blueray/hd dvd movies. It is a form of copy protection, that's all. If you try and playback a blueray disc with hdcp for example, it will not work in anything higher then regular dvd resolution unless you have both the hdcp enabled display and the hdcp content. The 2007fpw and 2007fp have HDCP built in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the HDCP encryption algorithms actually encoded into hardware (nearly impossible to crack versus software implementation)? That chip has to be part of the logic of a device if it is to be able to decode the content protected signal. In fact hardware vendors have to sign their lifes away to get access to the chips. If the device doesn't have the chip then it can only get 480 max resolution.

Yeah, its encoded into hardware with a secret code that can only be known by the receiving end.

Bartel said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the HDCP encryption algorithms actually encoded into hardware (nearly impossible to crack versus software implementation)? .

Did you see they figured the best way to decrypt HDCP is to run an app that does a print screen op for every frame.

J-Mag said:
Did you see they figured the best way to decrypt HDCP is to run an app that does a print screen op for every frame.

Yeah I read about that...So much for all this copy protection with just a push of a simple button.

Ok so I was in vacation for 6 days and well, any news on the release date? Im really anxious to see the reviews on this baby as the Dell A03 2407 sucked (as it was just an OSD menu option addition, nothing to fix banding or component issues).

DangerIsGo said:
Dell A03 2407 sucked (as it was just an OSD menu option addition, nothing to fix banding or component issues).
One A03 revision owner posted some side by side pics with the A02 and it showed the banding issue seemingly fixed. Forgot where it was posted tho. But anyways I suspect Dell doesnt want to admit that A03 fixes the banding problem as they've already claimed its fixed with the A02 , which we all know to be untrue later.
So the banding problems might well be all fixed with A03 - its just not officially stated so :eek:

No, He posted the horizontal banding which was fixed (he must have had a crappy A02) a long time ago. The vertical banding still exists with the A03. Vertical banding uses horizontal bars to test while horizontal banding uses vertical bars.

you're right...vert banding is still a prob with A03. Guess all the more reason for me to wait for the FP241W.

AFAIK, the vertical banding is GONE with A03.
What is your source saying that A03 is still displaying banding (with pictures)???
On the Dell forum, nobody has yet come with a A03 revision showing banding.
All 3 or 4 curent 2407WFP A03 owners (including myself) do not find horizontal nor vertical banding on A03 using DVI.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=64368http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2407newmachinepl0.jpg

The Dell statement saying that A03 is only a language fix in the OSD menu is incorrect (incorrect is a polite word...).
A lot of peoples are upset by this statement since they will not be able to trade the defective A02 against the "better" A03.

All the pictures below are taken with monitors using DVI.

1) Vertical banding
A03:
http://img464.imageshack.us/my.php?image=verticalbandinga03rb4.jpg
A02:
http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2407newmachinepl0.jpg
One more picture comparing A02 (left) vs A03 (right) side by side
http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=verticalbandinga02vsa03uu5.jpg

2) Horizontal banding test with A03:
http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=horizontalbandinga03cz1.jpg

Anyway, I really like my 2407WFP A03. The image quality is fantastic and I am really happy with it. :D
But the BenQ FP241W looks like an interesting option albeit a little more expensive.
My advice would be to not completly trust the official reviews since they seem to skip some tests. :rolleyes:
The Dell 2407WFP had fantastic reviews although there was banding and the component inputs was not working.

As I said before, those shots are of horizontal banding, NOT vertical. We all know the horizontal is fixed but vertical still remains. Your Horizontal banding test looks good (which is really vertical banding)

My friend, I think you are confused between the vertical and horizontal banding!
The vertical banding is tested over a vertical gradient (color gradually gets darker/lighter from bottom to top).
Anyway, I put pictures in my previous post of horizontal and vertical gradient and banding is not displayed on both gradient type with my A03.
Look at the third picture and you will see banding on the A02 but none on the A03.
Do you have a picture that you want me to test?

There are vertical lines near the bottom in the middle of the monitor, is that due to the camera/LCD issue or do you actually see that on the monitor?

Also, Im mistaken. i was misinformed a while back as someone told me differently. Someone told me that vertical banding was to see vertical lines in horizontal bars and vice versa with horizontal banding and veritcal bars with horizontal lines.

If those lines arent there, then yes, THAT a03 looks to be fixed but I would like to see a good portion of them to be fixed rather that plop down $750 just becuase I see one good one.

But then again, this is getting off topic. This is about the BenQ FP241W monitor coming out soon that im anxious for. We wanna talk about the Dell, lets go in the dell 2407 monitor topic. I REALLY hope benq does not dissappoint with this monitor and that it lives up to its expectations, meaning quality product, no banding, good input quality (component, VGA,DVI, HDMI) and of course reasonably priced.

DangerIsGo said:
But then again, this is getting off topic. This is about the BenQ FP241W monitor coming out soon that im anxious for. We wanna talk about the Dell, lets go in the dell 2407 monitor topic. I REALLY hope benq does not dissappoint with this monitor and that it lives up to its expectations, meaning quality product, no banding, good input quality (component, VGA,DVI, HDMI) and of course reasonably priced.
It is a bit off topic, but then most of us are comparing these monitors. I for one, appreciate this discussion, so please continue or show me where you're taking it so I can go there... ;)

Code:
There are vertical lines near the bottom in the middle of the monitor, is that due to the camera/LCD issue or do you actually see that on the monitor?
This is due to my camera and I do not see that on my monitor.

There is not guarantee to receive the A03 revision if you buy a Dell right now. Peoples are still receiving A02.

Ok so this 1,299 price tag is a little steep...hopefully stores will sell it for less.

DangerIsGo said:
Ok so this 1,299 price tag is a little steep...hopefully stores will sell it for less.
It's been listed at a few sites in the 1,000 range...

Yeah, mwave listed it for 910. Hopefully itll drop to the 800 (reasonable) range within a month so I can pick one up. IF and only IF its of good quality and there are no problems with it.

If you want to view content from HD-DVD or Blu-ray on your computer at full resolution, you must have HDMI. Content on HD-DVD and Blu-ray is stored 1920x1080p resolution, but if you don't have HDCP, you can't see it. Without HDCP, the max resolution you can get from a HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive is 720x480p (the same as DVD).

You may think HD-DVD and Blu-ray are out of your price range now, but within 12-24 months, those drives will be under $100. I think most people who spend $500+ on a monitor intend to keep it for more than two years...

On paper, the BenQ looks like a future-proof monitor. If you like watching movies on your PC, then it definitely deserves serious consideration.

KenAF said:
If you want to view content from HD-DVD or Blu-ray on your computer at full resolution, you must have HDMI. Content on HD-DVD and Blu-ray is stored 1920x1080p resolution, but if you don't have HDCP, you can't see it. Without HDCP, the max resolution you can get from a HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive is 720x480p (the same as DVD).

You may think HD-DVD and Blu-ray are out of your price range now, but within 12-24 months, those drives will be under $100. I think most people who spend $500+ on a monitor intend to keep it for more than two years...

On paper, the BenQ looks like a future-proof monitor. If you like watching movies on your PC, then it definitely deserves serious consideration.

wrong: No one is using, or plans to use the ITC (image constraint token) for several years. hdcp is currently dead in the water. Put it this way, Sony themselves are fielding a bluray player in the lower end ps3 that has NO HDMI port at all. Component is perfectly capable of delivering a 1080i signal. Afaik* its capable of delivering a 1080p, but its out of design spec (dont crucify me on that, I'm unsure of the p situation).

If you want to view content from HD-DVD or Blu-ray on your computer at full resolution, you must have HDMI.

Wrong. HDMI IS DVI except it can carry 8 channel uncompressed audio. DVI can carry 1080p signals from an HDDVD or Bluray players onto your montior along with HDCP encryption. HDMI is just a smaller, better form of DVI which is why they are backwards compatible and why you see DVI to HDMI cables such as here

Regular DVI is capable of transmitting 1920x1200. You need to move up to Dual Link or HDMI (which i believes has 4 link) if you go any higher than 1920x1200 or if you move higher than 8 bit.

But with 1080p as it stands today you only need DVI and would only need HDMI if you wanted to carry the audio through the same signal.

DangerIsGo said:
Wrong. HDMI IS DVI except it can carry 8 channel uncompressed audio. DVI can carry 1080p signals from an HDDVD or Bluray players onto your montior along with HDCP encryption. HDMI is just a smaller, better form of DVI which is why they are backwards compatible and why you see DVI to HDMI cables such as here

Werd.
:cool:

For Emphasis.

I called the TigerDirect.ca outlet near my house today and they said they won't be getting them in for a week or two, and that the 24 hours was only for online orders. I called the websites 800 number and they said they are expecting a "large" shipment of them in tomorrow (Sept 7th.) I asked how many orders they had backed up and I was told about 15 people have it on preorder. I don't know how many monitors a large shipment consists of, but I would imagine it is more than 15. The guy also said that tomorrow is only an estimated date and that it isn't guaranteed that they will get them in.

Does anyone have this monitor yet??

I am trying to decide between the dell 2407FPW and this one, and I can't find a single review of the Benq anywhere. If anyone sees a review, let us know.

On paper this monitor seems to blow the Dell away, but until someone tries it out and makes sure it all works, we can't know for sure. The Dell for instance claims support of HD signals when in reality, all it does 720p and not much more.

Also, I don't know what kind of game Benq is playing, but the specs seem to be different on every site. If you notice the newest specs up on tigerdirect, they are way better than some of the specs mentioned in this thread.

I don't think it's quite out yet. I would wait for actual customers to get it and mess with it. Don't trust the reviews. The overwhelming majority of reviews on the 2407 said it was fabulous, yet look at all the problems people have found.

I've already ordered mine from NCIX.com, my order status has everything complete except "shipped". One of the steps that is completed is "Product Availability" so I'm expecting it to ship pretty soon. I'll keep you guys posted, take pics if you want, etc.

Back