Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

I am interested in using the FP241W or WZ for occasional use as a display for TV (Tivo) through S-video input. I have heard the quality is pretty bad. That may not dissuade me though since I don't care much about TV quality in this case. I am curious though. I wonder if someone could post a picture of their FP241W using the composite or s-video input. Also, does it stretch to fill the screen or does the 1:1 mapping apply to all inputs. THANKS.

qtonic

Hello,
I'm from germany, so my english is not the best.
Maybe I found a hint for the resolution problem when connecting xbox360 over vga. In this case it is not possible to obtain a resolution 1920x1080, if you select this option in your xbox settings. The display shows only up to 1680x1050. Searching the web for this problem I found this site: Link
On this site I learnd some facts about EDID. So I tried to read this information from my Benq using the ViewSonic EDID Utility.

Here are some information I got:
"

(38-53) Standard Timing Identification:
1152 X 864 @75Hz
1280 X 1024 @76Hz
1280 X 1024 @60Hz
1280 X 1024 @72Hz
1600 X 1200 @60Hz
1680 X 1050 @60Hz
Not Used
Not Used
"
I'm not a technical expert. But maybe there is a relation between this entries (max. 1680x1050@60Hz) and the problem with xbox360. Normaly I expected an additional line like 1920x1080@60Hz.
It will be great, if somebody with a better technical background can check this and give a feedback whether there is a relation or not.

Regards
Rentux

Wait. So can this monitor do 1920x1200 through VGA (Xbox, computer, everything) or not?

And does anyone else have the reddish tint when using VGA?

This monitor can do 1920x1200 over VGA if you connect to your computer. My monitor can not do 1920x1080 if i connect to my xbox360. I can select this but the monitor shows 1680x1050 max. resolution.

Rentux

This monitor can do 1920x1200 over VGA if you connect to your computer. My monitor can not do 1920x1080 if i connect to my xbox360. I can select this but the monitor shows 1680x1050 max. resolution.

Rentux

This is after the firmware fix, right? Because I thought people could do 1080p before the firmware fix.

If it was possible to use xbox360 with a resolution 1920x1080 over VGA before firmware update, maybe somebody (without firmwareupdate) can post standard timing identification
using the ViewSonic EDID Utility.

hey all, i just got mine back fro Benq, exactly a week after sending it in. The firmware fix is in place but as far as testing anything out other than the 1:1 mapping for games, i dont have anything like an xbox to see what works and what doesnt. :(

i do think they gave me a different monitor, as i remember the SN# on the first one sent in is different then the one i received. i'll have to look where i wrote the original down, or just call them and see.
i'll try to take some pics and host them on imageshack or something, if thats allowed.

the colors on this monitor are pretty sweet as i've always said, BUT i have to be honest and say that i'm getting a weird red saturation in games, i'll try to post pics of that too. Its like when i fire up a game it wants to go to the original color profile of the monitor, not the spyder2 color profile. i have to look into that too.

cheers for beers :p

If I do mostly web surfing, some amateur photoshopping and rpg gaming, can I just use the numbers that have been posted by some members in this thread to try and calibrate my BenQ when it arrives tomorrow or Tuesday (it's transiting in Toronto this weekend)?:confused:

I downloaded dead pixel buddy already but this is my first LCD so it''s kinda new territory for me. The only calibrating I ever did on my Samsung 900NF CRT was to choose the colour temperature that was most pleasing to my eye. Never got any problem getting the occasional photo printed.:)

If it was possible to use xbox360 with a resolution 1920x1080 over VGA before firmware update, maybe somebody (without firmwareupdate) can post standard timing identification
using the ViewSonic EDID Utility.

Does component give you the same result, no 1080p?

Component does display a 1080p for the 360 however the maximum it can display for the HD-DVD addon is 1080i (this is not a limitation of the BenQ however).

Hello,

I'm from the UK and trying to connect a digital freeview box up to this monitor. I've tried composite but it is really bad quality and i've tried s-video but it comes out in black and white.

I'm connecting from scart using a scart - svideo adapter. I would really like to get svideo working as it is the better quality input.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

By the way UK is Pal-i 25fps.

Thanks!

So I just have to ask, recently in this thread, there have been numerous reports of problems with this monitor, so why are people still praising it?

Red saturation. <-- this is a HUGE problem, why do people not seem to care?
VGA problems.
HDMI and component displays black bars on all four sides with 1:1.
PIP is essentially unusable.

Maybe it would be better to wait for a superior monitor without these problems.

So I just have to ask, recently in this thread, there have been numerous reports of problems with this monitor, so why are people still praising it?

VGA problems.

Well I'd have to partly agree with you. The monitor does have its issues but at the end of the day HDMI and PIP is a luxary. This is a PC monitor built for a computer. If you want HDMI and all that buy a TV.

As a PC monitor it is great, really good colours, no ghosting, very sharp and bright.

I have had no problems with VGA so I don't know.

The red saturation you can't really notice. My samsung monitor has a blue saturation which makes everything appear cooler. This monitor makes things look a bit warmer but you can reduce the red saturation with the monitors inbuilt colour controls. However, it is only slightly noticable on its default setting.

When I got the monitor I had problems with the stand and 1 dead pixel. I'm returning it for a replacement.

I'd agree that it has its problems and it is not a perfect monitor but it definitly is a leading monitor on the current market.

VGA problems.

VGA problems - Only problem I have here is that it doesn't display my 360 at 1080P and I believe this is an Xbox issue.

HDMI and component displays black bars on all four sides with 1:1 - Use Aspect instead and it works fine.

PIP is essentially unusable - Why? I use it with a composit input and it works fine. I realise it doesn't do compoment but I have alsways seen PIP as an addtional feature that wasn't really that important for me.

From the pictures a few pages back, the red saturation problem on VGA was hugely noticeable and horrible. Just compare it to the DVI image. The problem isn't that the monitor is slightly warmed or cooler. The thing is just so bloody red/purple from the pictures posted here compared to the DVI image.

PIP is essentially unusable because it separates into two groups (VGA, DVI, etc.) and (S-video, etc.) If you look at the PIP on the Dell or Gateway for example, this is not the case. Sure, you can get PIP on the BenQ technically, but it's a gimmick (I wouldn't really consider it fair and true PIP like the Gateway's).

This is the picture:
dvivsvgaredresized.jpg

Well in reading a few pages of this enormous thread my question is going to be with all pros and cons of this monitor..

I have a question.

Is it worth buying spending $900 on this monitor or would it be more wise to get a 22"

Samsung 206BW Samsung $380
Display Technology TFT active matrix
Display Diagonal Size 20 inch
Display Response Time 2ms
Image Contrast Ratio 2000:1
Max Resolution 1680x1050

Or Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22IN $487

From the pictures a few pages back, the red saturation problem on VGA was hugely noticeable and horrible. Just compare it to the DVI image. The problem isn't that the monitor is slightly warmed or cooler. The thing is just so bloody red/purple from the pictures posted here compared to the DVI image.

PIP is essentially unusable because it separates into two groups (VGA, DVI, etc.) and (S-video, etc.) If you look at the PIP on the Dell or Gateway for example, this is not the case. Sure, you can get PIP on the BenQ technically, but it's a gimmick (I wouldn't really consider it fair and true PIP like the Gateway's).

This is the picture:
dvivsvgaredresized.jpg

Well maybe i'm overlooking something but it doesnt look that bad on mine!

The problem with the VGA red saturation, as pictured, only happened once I got it back from repairtech, as i sent it to them for the firmware upgrade. I was told they replaced the mainboard in the monitor, but they forgot to do the firmware upgrade; when I got it back this is when the red saturation problem occured; so it is probably at the fault of repairtech and not BenQ.

Before I sent it to them, I only ever used the VGA on the xbox360 and that worked fine, but I would say it did have a warm red colour, but this could easily be sorted by adjusting the settings as it was only slight and not greatly noticable, unlike the picture.

I have to add that if i switch between VGA and DVI i there is no red hues or saturation, the picture is the same, just the DVI is slightly sharper. :cool:

Purolator tracking says

Status On vehicle for delivery
Date/Time FEBRUARY 12, 2007 AT 07:41
Depot OTTAWA, ON

Still waiting. I hope Purolator will not fake delivery like they have did once to my building and have me fetch it at their office. I'm staying by my phone and they better ring the building door.

Purolator tracking says

Status On vehicle for delivery
Date/Time FEBRUARY 12, 2007 AT 07:41
Depot OTTAWA, ON

Still waiting. I hope Purolator will not fake delivery like they have did once to my building and have me fetch it at their office. I'm staying by my phone and they better ring the building door.

You will probably be in luck sense it's Monday not Friday! :)

So what about the z version of this monitor with the bfi technology will it be any better ? has anyone got/or seen one ? ???? :confused:

Price isnt the issure. I just want the better quality . So far Ive heard good and bad about the Benq and then again we have Samsung monitors which are half the price (22") as well but seem to do great in reviews.

Thats why I want to know from people here since this is my first LCD purchase, Which would be the better buy? and why?

And viewing purposes : Gaming, Photopshop, General Web surfing.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I read that all that 22" are TN panels, which have bad colours and wouldn't be good for your graphics work.

Well in reading a few pages of this enormous thread my question is going to be with all pros and cons of this monitor..

I have a question.

Is it worth buying spending $900 on this monitor or would it be more wise to get a 22"

Samsung 206BW Samsung $380
Display Technology TFT active matrix
Display Diagonal Size 20 inch
Display Response Time 2ms
Image Contrast Ratio 2000:1
Max Resolution 1680x1050

Or Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22IN $487

Hello, those are some really nice specs. I'm looking for a 1080P monitor with HDMI that is HDCP compliant. That's why I'm here :)

Price isnt the issure. I just want the better quality . So far Ive heard good and bad about the Benq and then again we have Samsung monitors which are half the price (22") as well but seem to do great in reviews.

Thats why I want to know from people here since this is my first LCD purchase, Which would be the better buy? and why?

And viewing purposes : Gaming, Photopshop, General Web surfing.

Despite the problems, the monitor is excellent for photoshop and web surfing, though it is very bright and is something u have to get used to, u can turn the brightness down but if u turn it down too much then you start to lose some detail in colours.

The main price difference between the BenQ and the 22" models are the resolutions available, the BenQ and like most 24" support 1920x1200 which would allow u to display 1080 HD content at its native resolution and you will have much screen space to work with in photoshop.

In terms of gaming, it depends how you what to go about doing this. If its PC gaming then it is excellent, no ghosting and would look great at native res but you would need a hefty setup to get decent framerates at that resolution, but looks fine on lower resolutions. If its console gaming, this is where you would benefit from the firmware fix as it will display it correctly with no stretching. I have only tried Xbox360 on it and its great via VGA; though I havent tried any previous generation consoles on it.

Hope this helps.

Still not here. That thing has spent the last 6 hours on the Purolator truck in -14C temperature. It will be frozen solid when I get it. :(

Still not here. That thing has spent the last 6 hours on the Purolator truck in -14C temperature. It will be frozen solid when I get it. :(

Haha... Um... My monitor is still lost in transit... It was supposed to be here on the 30th, but the tracking said it arrived in the US on the 6th... I'm just wondering what on earth could have happened.. It's still a little mind-boggling...

Damn, Gridneo, by the time you get it it will be outdated! Send it back for another update :)

Damn, Gridneo, by the time you give it it will be outdated! Send it back for another update :)

Hahaha... That's the funny part... I ordered it with the update; it's just lost somewhere between Canada and the US... I'm on the phone with NCIX now; I'm going to see if they can just box a new one up and ship it UPS Air to me... I'll deal with the invoice issues later.

Back