Official ASUS Poll - What kind of MB are you most interested in?

What kind of motherboard are you most interested in?

• Total voters

OC_Seer

ASUS Power User Support
My new poll idea is to get your input about what kind of motherboard or motherboard concept you are most interested in. For instance is it the category of cutting edge niche boards that can OC like no other? (ex. Rampage III Extreme), super stable OC beast (ex. Sabertooth X58), tons of GPUs (ex. R3E or P6T7 WS Supercomputer), or a concept MB like ROG Immensity? :p

Are you more interested in the mainstream category for a strong, well-balanced lineup with solid features (ex. M4A89TD PRO/USB3 or P7P55D-E PRO)?

Or do you want your next board to be of the mATX form factor?

Or, for the final category, is it a micro ITX board that you have huge plans for?

Please post any details about what exactly it is that you would like to see in the near future and why. I appreciate your feedback and hope that some of your ideas come to fruition in future ASUS motherboards :) Thanks for voting! :D

Last edited:
all of the above? haha. I'd really like to see more mITX boards that can accommodate high gaming performance w/o worrying you might fry your components, basically it would be pretty sweet to have smaller/more portable gaming builds showing performance on par with the big guys.

I would like to say I love my Crosshair IV Formula! :D

But I do want to build a HTPC. With lots of internal storage, or an NAS. I would like to see mATX and mITX boards with more SATA ports. A dozen USB ports and only a few SATA ports is a bit lopsided.

I voted mainstream, but I think the R3F (or something similar) in Sandy Bridge would be my next board buy.

In my opinion the last thing the world needs is another $400 X58 mobo. I'd like to see something interesting in the miniITX space. Right now it seems dominated by crappy little zotac boards. Something with more SATA ports and a PCI-E x16 slot would be sweet for HTPC applications.

Thats just me though, I just bought an X58 board so that segment of the market is dead to me for a little while at least

mini-ITX (LGA 1156) would be awesome.

I vouched for Cutting edge (Intel) but since prices are a huge factor for me, I'm around the Mainstream (Intel) level.

mini-ITX or Micro-atx. I have done cutting edge and mainstream. It all boils down to me being able to overclock and not be limited to the board and I only run a single video card with no add on cards. So mini-itx is perfect! Price is not as much of a concern as size is. Love my current board :D

cutting edge (AMD), just purchased to CH4 Formula, shame i can only look at it at the mo, still need CPU & RAM :-(. cant wait to get it up n running nxt month, roll on payday

I would say none of the above. Isn't sandy bridge going to be released this quarter? I would not be excited for a new X58 board if that is the case.

I would very much like to see a reasonably priced x58 board with double PCI-e spacing, excellent overclocking, as well as good chipset cooling.

And a BIOS with every imaginable setting available. I hate how some higher end/boards that are good overclocking boards are missing one or two settings that would make them even better.

I would also like a board that doesn't ship with chipset coolers that for some reason still use the pink sticky crap that doesn't work even as good as the cheap white gook that dries out.

As it is now, I am using the 1st and 3rd slot on my current board which ends up cutting my bottom card to x8.

There is absolutely no reason to build boards with sucky PCI-e spacing.

The ASROCK boards have excellent PCI-e spacing.. but have a mediocre BIOS. If you were to come out with a board with ASROCK style PCI-e spacing, digital+analog VRM, and a BIOS to beat all others.. and price it at mainstream level, you would have a winner.

P6T Deluxe is the best motherboard i've owned in terms of:
-- Spacing
-- Overclocking (225 bclk)
-- Value

Would like to see this again with Intel SB boards.

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far and given feedback in the thread. As expected, I see a lot of interest in cutting edge solutions but I see there is some interest in the mATX / mini-ITX as well. I think having a some really good mini-ITX solutions to throw in the mix with the many high-end and mainstream boards already offered would be great idea and the suggestions like more SATA, putting as much horsepower as possible in that smaller form factor are things that we'll definitely be considering. Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming!

im still using my gigabyte p45-ud3p mobo with a q9550 quad. i hate to get red of the board and go i7 since it oc at 4ghz w/1.25v. this board is amazing what ever i put in it oc's great.

I want my next build to be on mATX. I hope Asus produces a mATX form Sandy Bridge board.

I would like to say I love my Crosshair IV Formula! :D

But I do want to build a HTPC. With lots of internal storage, or an NAS. I would like to see mATX and mITX boards with more SATA ports. A dozen USB ports and only a few SATA ports is a bit lopsided.

It seems that a lot of people echo your sentiments regarding more SATA ports. It's always a compromise situation when there's not a lot of real estate on boards of that size. However, I'm pushing for 6 SATA ports on our mini-ITX boards which I'm pretty sure is doable. So it's all about collecting input to see what people want and then prioritizing from there. Thanks for your input, it will help the persuasiveness of my argument. :D

I think 6 sata ports are nice but 4 should be doable even with raid considered. I think proper power phase, bios options, and importantly HSF mounting holes/clearance is important. I know a lot of the m-ITX guys would love to place a Corsair H50 on a board and not worry about interference around the mounting. This way they could use a m-itx case without needing a tower style HSF.

i voted mainsteam AMD.. would like to go extreme but for the money i cant justify dropping that much on a board knowing bulldozer is coming out in a year..

I want to see a manufacturer make a high-end overclockable mini-itx board that can handle 125+ watt processors. I would like to see 2 different versions of the board, one high-end AMD, one high-end Intel. That would be a hell of a feat of engineering. Honestly, this is one thing that I have yet to see any manufacturer pull off.

Feature list for decent high-end mini-itx:
1. Full length PCIe 2.x 16x slot. Must be 16x electrically, no sense making a 16x slot that can only run at 8x, 4x, etc.
2. minimum 4 SATA ports
3. Support 8GB of DDR3 RAM minimum. 4 DIMM slots would be nice. If only 2 DIMM slots can fit it must support 4GB DIMM's. This would be a power user board, and power users need 8GB.
4. Support 125w processors from the highest end socket from each manufacturer with power for overclocking headroom. That means it needs to support the current Hexa-cores. A future version to handle the high end Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer processors would be nice too. Having some heatsinks on the VRM's would be necessary.
5. Decent overclocking capabilities. It doesn't have to shatter records or be like a Rampage III, but atleast have some decent capability.
6. As many USB ports as possible since there are no extra expansion slots.
7. High end 7.1 onboard audio
8. Decent Gigabit NIC

Optional:
9. UEFI. Bios is dead. People want to boot from the 3+TB hard drives that are coming out. Of course, this should be standard on all motherboards from 2011 onward.
10. PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports are optional, but can be left out to save space.
11. WiFi 802.11N built in would be nice, but can be left out to save space. Power users and gamers will prefer the lower latency of a wired connection anyways.
12. Mini PCIe slot, possibly put on underside of board for space reasons. Would be handy for adding your own WiFi card, or a mini PCIe SSD that can be found for Netbooks.
13. eSata port
14. Dual NIC's

Honestly, if a board with this feature list (#1-8 above) is $50 more than current Mini-ITX motherboards on the market, I think people will still pay for it.

Last edited:
I've been a fan of the ROG boards since the day I lost my marbles and bought the ASUS Crosshair (The first one) and an AMD X2 4800. A $300 motherboard back in 2005 was to me at that time unheard of. That was a damned good board and have been sold on ASUS high end boards since.

Feature list for decent high-end mini-itx:
1. Full length PCIe 2.x 16x slot. Must be 16x electrically, no sense making a 16x slot that can only run at 8x, 4x, etc.
2. minimum 4 SATA ports
3. Support 8GB of DDR3 RAM minimum. 4 DIMM slots would be nice. If only 2 DIMM slots can fit it must support 4GB DIMM's. This would be a power user board, and power users need 8GB.
4. Support 125w processors from the highest end socket from each manufacturer with power for overclocking headroom. That means it needs to support the current Hexa-cores. A future version to handle the high end Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer processors would be nice too. Having some heatsinks on the VRM's would be necessary.
5. Decent overclocking capabilities. It doesn't have to shatter records or be like a Rampage III, but atleast have some decent capability.
6. As many USB ports as possible since there are no extra expansion slots.
7. High end 7.1 onboard audio
8. Decent Gigabit NIC

Optional:
9. UEFI. Bios is dead. People want to boot from the 3+TB hard drives that are coming out. Of course, this should be standard on all motherboards from 2011 onward.
10. PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports are optional, but can be left out to save space.
11. WiFi 802.11N built in would be nice, but can be left out to save space. Power users and gamers will prefer the lower latency of a wired connection anyways.
12. Mini PCIe slot, possibly put on underside of board for space reasons. Would be handy for adding your own WiFi card, or a mini PCIe SSD that can be found for Netbooks.
13. eSata port
14. Dual NIC's

These are some very good ideas, some of which we are already working on. I will run some ideas by our engineers to find out what the possibilities are. For my next poll I'd like to find out what the community thinks about which features would be the most sought-after on a high-end mini-ITX board.

I love the cutting edge stuff and am happy to see it, but personally would look for a board at or below the $200 price point.

I like the micro atx and mini itx boards myself. I just wish ASUS would start building true enthusiast boards in those form factors. It seems like, especially on the AMD side, that you feel those form factors are 2nd rate. I like the M4A88T-I Deluxe board and I am currently building a system with that board. But would be nice to have full 125w processor support. Also be nice to have the voltage regulator laid out so you can have a heat sink on them to keep them cool.

not all OC'ers dont buy the high end stuff. i think if you will get the most interest in mid range boards packed with the featured we need and discard the ones we dont. sure we all drool at the high end stuff but in the end we all dont have the money to spare.

basic functions
overclocking ability
stability
value

my last asus board came with an array mic. sure it was a great mic and ended up giving it to a friend who still uses it to record music in his home. anyway the mic is worth 15-20$ at least. i would bought the board with out question if it was 15-20 cheaper. while the mic ended up being a blessing. i was on the fence about buying the board. just saying stick to the stuff that counts and cut out the flash and enthusiasts will buy your stuff even more.

i dont buy 200$+ mobo's when i can my needs met with a mid range boards. sure there is a lot of competition in this range but this is the place you can take market share back from the competition.

realtek audio over others

I like mainstream boards that offer a nice array of features at an affordable price.

Like my Gigabyte 870-A UD3

SATA 3, USB 3.0, reliability, and all at a low price? What's not to love.

Back