Official ASUS P8P67 Series Overclocking Guide and Information

I was able to OC my 2500k on Asus p8p67 pro to 100x48. It was linpack stable for 2 hours but bsod after 1 hr of gaming. Should I try some other method of testing CPU stability?

Try IBT, it seems to be able to stress the CPU harder than LinX can.

Yep, both IntelBurnTest and Prime95 will drive the CPU temps up. But what I've found is that once those loads are turned off, that's when most stability issues arise. Seems the CPU is happy running at full load, but unless the VRM can respond quickly to the core's changing demands, you'll likely BSOD.

thanks for the guide. followed all of OP's instructions and i get 4.8ghz at 1.425v (p95 stable) which is right in line with given expectations. i had been running it at 4.6 with just minor adjustments in AI Suite.

it can do 5.0 on the desktop but not in p95 and i don't want to push a higher vcore.

i am a little concerned about running over 1.4v for the long term... OP seems to think it's ok.

It should be fine, there are reports of people running the engineering samples at 1.45v and over for months with no problems.

Disabling C1 C3 and C6 doesn't actually make it idle at the overclocked frequency btw, it just doesn't report that its idling at 1.6ghz to the OS anymore. CPU-Z shows 5ghz, but Tmonitor shows 1600mhz. Seems likes theres no way to make it idle at an overclocked frequency.

Awesome thread! Way to go ASUS and everyone posting here!
This thread along with a great write up at TechReaction has helped me get some good results.

Not to be a complete lurch, here’s what I’ve got so far:
P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1204)
i7-2600K (x46/1.376V@74°C)
2x4 Corsair XMS3-1600/CL9
Ai Tuner: XMP (1600/[email protected])
Turbo Ratio: 46
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled
EPU: Auto

DIGI+ VRM Settings
LLC: High
VRM Frequency: Auto
VRM Spread Spectrum: Enabled
Phase Control: Optimized
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU Voltage: Auto
Everything else is at Default.

My goal is maximum multiplier while still using AUTO voltage as I’m not comfortable running hot 24/7 and don’t need it 95% of the time.

My LLC results are:
At Medium it pumps out 1.344V, IBT would pass 5 runs but Prime95 would error while still in the 8K test.
At High I get 1.376V and Prime95 has been running all day. [crossing my fingers]
Ultra High goes to 1.416V. I’ll experiment next weekend to see what kind of multiplier I can get out of that.

A note about XMP:
This is my second build with a Deluxe and using the same memory kit (different modules) I couldn’t get XMP to stick on the first board. I could set it, run fine, but next time I booted I had to MemOK and fall back to 1066. I’ve seen reports of XMP being touchy on Sandy Bridge. If I get the chance I’ll swap these sticks with the first ones, see what happens and then maybe enter settings manually.

Need Help : RESOLVED It's the CPU-Z software issue download the latest 1.56.3 version.. it shows the right informaiton

I tried all different options but nothing works for me I cannot go beyond 3502.7mhz..

Here are the details of my system.
i7-2600k
ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - 1204 bios
Memory : 8GB DDR3 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=23&prodgroupid=71&id=765&type=1
Power Supply : Ultra ATX 600 watt.
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Cooler

If I go with the instructions on the initial page at the time of boot I'm getting "Windows Blue Screen of Death".

I have even tested memory with Memtest. What am I doing wrong.. ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the Guide.. Need Help

I was able to Overclock to 4.8 at 1.425 following the guide as-is. I'm stable with IBT but crashes in 5 min with Prime95 I saw couple of poeple successful stable with Prime95.,

My specs
i7-2600k
Memory : 8GB DDR3 (4Dimms with 2GB each) 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 CL9 http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=23&prodgroupid=71&id=765&type=1

Thanks for the Guide.. Need Help

I was able to Overclock to 4.8 at 1.425 following the guide as-is. I'm stable with IBT but crashes in 5 min with Prime95 I saw couple of poeple successful stable with Prime95.,

My specs
i7-2600k
Memory : 8GB DDR3 (4Dimms with 2GB each) 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 CL9 http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=23&prodgroupid=71&id=765&type=1

Do you have PLL overvoltage on? Have you tried raising VCCIO or VCCSA - I found raising those a notch helped me get Prime stable at 4.8

Do you have PLL overvoltage on? Have you tried raising VCCIO or VCCSA - I found raising those a notch helped me get Prime stable at 4.8

PLL Voltage is "Enabled"
VCCSA/VCCIO is on "Auto"

If I have to raise those what would be the values ?

Just spent the night reading through a number of threads/articles online and finally took the dive and tried my hand at OC'ing. This was after I re-applied my Noctua TIM with a new spread method to ensure lowest temps.

I started out at 4GHz, but decided to try for a stable 4.5GHz 24/7 OC:

oc452.jpg

Thats with the following settings:

AI Tweaker:

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency - 100
Turbo Frequncy - Enabled
By All Cores (Can Adjust In OS)
Internal PPL Overvoltage - Auto
Turbo Ratio - 40
Memory Frequency - 1600MHz
EPU Power Saving Mode - Disabled
Load-Line Calibration - Ultra High
VRM Frequency - Manual, set to 350
Phase Control - Extreme
Duty Control - Extreme
CPU Voltage - Manual
CPU Manual Voltage - 1.28
DRAM Voltage - 1.5

DRAM Timings:

CAS Latency - 9
RAS to CAS Delay - 9
RAS Pre Time - 9
RAS ACT Time - 24
DRAM Command Mode - 2T

The rest of my settings are default - any adjustments you think I can make? Are my temps ok (Do live Australia where its bloody hot atm)? I'm concerned why 2 of the cores have quite different temperatures - did I stuff up TIM application?

Just spent the night reading through a number of threads/articles online and finally took the dive and tried my hand at OC'ing. This was after I re-applied my Noctua TIM with a new spread method to ensure lowest temps.

I started out at 4GHz, but decided to try for a stable 4.5GHz 24/7 OC:

Thats with the following settings:

AI Tweaker:

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency - 100
Turbo Frequncy - Enabled
By All Cores (Can Adjust In OS)
Internal PPL Overvoltage - Auto
Turbo Ratio - 40
Memory Frequency - 1600MHz
EPU Power Saving Mode - Disabled
Load-Line Calibration - Ultra High
VRM Frequency - Manual, set to 350
Phase Control - Extreme
Duty Control - Extreme
CPU Voltage - Manual
CPU Manual Voltage - 1.28
DRAM Voltage - 1.5

DRAM Timings:

CAS Latency - 9
RAS to CAS Delay - 9
RAS Pre Time - 9
RAS ACT Time - 24
DRAM Command Mode - 2T

The rest of my settings are default - any adjustments you think I can make? Are my temps ok (Do live Australia where its bloody hot atm)? I'm concerned why 2 of the cores have quite different temperatures - did I stuff up TIM application?

Hi I'm going to try your settings and see what happens.. quickly I think is that a typo you have turbo ratio listed as "40" instead of "45" ?

It should be fine, there are reports of people running the engineering samples at 1.45v and over for months with no problems.

Disabling C1 C3 and C6 doesn't actually make it idle at the overclocked frequency btw, it just doesn't report that its idling at 1.6ghz to the OS anymore. CPU-Z shows 5ghz, but Tmonitor shows 1600mhz. Seems likes theres no way to make it idle at an overclocked frequency.

disabling all cstates and speedstep actually does keep the cpu at the oc speed when idle. just as the guy who wrote the "Ultimate Sandy Bridge OC Guide" on overclock.net said - "tmonitor is just a POS". it shows lower multiplier to his i7 930 too. so i went and checked it myself. indeed it shows 6x instead of 10.5x on my e7400 when idle. so forget about tmonitor, trust your cpuz:)

i also confirmed this from realtemp3.67. it shows the cpu speed steady @ 4.8GHz and idle power is about 30w when all disabled. but when i enable all, the cpu speed would fluctuate and the idle power is down to only about 6w.

i went further doing some benchmark, it does show a difference, altho very small. (scores lower when all enabled).

disabling all cstates and speedstep actually does keep the cpu at the oc speed when idle. just as the guy who wrote the "Ultimate Sandy Bridge OC Guide" on overclock.net said - "tmonitor is just a POS". it shows lower multiplier to his i7 930 too. so i went and checked it myself. indeed it shows 6x instead of 10.5x on my e7400 when idle. so forget about tmonitor, trust your cpuz:)

i also confirmed this from realtemp3.67. it shows the cpu speed steady @ 4.8GHz and idle power is about 30w when all disabled. but when i enable all, the cpu speed would fluctuate and the idle power is down to only about 6w.

i went further doing some benchmark, it does show a difference, altho very small. (scores lower when all enabled).

Did you try checking power at the wall, that would eliminate any possibility of CPU-z or Realtemp reporting wrong.

Did you try checking power at the wall, that would eliminate any possibility of CPU-z or Realtemp reporting wrong.

i don't have a wall power meter to confirm that:p but i can certain say tmonitor is reporting wrong;)

also, i did see some difference in benchmark scores between enabling and disabling the cstates and speedstep. win7 index, heaven2.1 and diskmark showed higher scores, superpi stayed the same.

i don't have a wall power meter to confirm that:p but i can certain say tmonitor is reporting wrong;)

also, i did see some difference in benchmark scores between enabling and disabling the cstates and speedstep. win7 index, heaven2.1 and diskmark showed higher scores, superpi stayed the same.

Why would diskmark be affected by C states? Or was your sentence structured to show that you turned off indexing, and that caused the slowdown in diskmark?

Why would diskmark be affected by C states? Or was your sentence structured to show that you turned off indexing, and that caused the slowdown in diskmark?

maybe because the cpu is in fact running at full oc speed even at idle? actually, diskmark scored a little higher only on the 512k: 185.1 read/ 166.5 write vs 178.5 read/ 135.4 write. as for the win7 index scores, only memory score went up from 7.8 to 7.9, while the other stayed the same. and heaven2.1 score went up from 372 to 383, FPS up from 14.8 to 15.2, min FPS up from 8.2 to 8.3, max FPS up from 32.6 to 35.9.

seeing these actual benchmark differences is what really makes me believe that disabling the cstates and speedsteps indeed keeps the cpu at full oc speed at idle:D

you can try running some benchmark of your own and see if it makes a difference or not. but there's one thing very strange and you need to be careful about: don't ever run "ThrottleStop". it seems it'd permanently enable the speedstep feature. i tried it before. after running it once. the system would behave like speedstep is enabled even though i have disabled all cstates and speedstep in bios. cpuid and realtemp would show fluctuation in cpu speed, no matter enabling or disabling the features in bios or not. even after i uninstalled/deleted throttlestop. the only way to get the disabling feature back in effect is reinstalling win7 or do a rollback to the stage before you first run throttlestop.

maybe because the cpu is in fact running at full oc speed even at idle? actually, diskmark scored a little higher only on the 512k: 185.1 read/ 166.5 write vs 178.5 read/ 135.4 write. as for the win7 index scores, only memory score went up from 7.8 to 7.9, while the other stayed the same. and heaven2.1 score went up from 372 to 383, FPS up from 14.8 to 15.2, min FPS up from 8.2 to 8.3, max FPS up from 32.6 to 35.9.

Not terribly significant differences there - assuming those aren't just within the margin of error, not sure it's worth the extra power and heat for those pretty small gains.

Not terribly significant differences there - assuming those aren't just within the margin of error, not sure it's worth the extra power and heat for those pretty small gains.

yeah, it's more of a personal preference. some people would like to stay at lower speed to keep the cpu cooler and save power. while others would like to stay at oc speed at idle. extreme overclockers go thru all the troubles, water cooling, active cooling, even LN cooling, just to squeeze out the last bit of juice from the cpu. i don't think they would mind adding that little extra power and heat:D

I had success overclocking 24 hours stable at 5ghz but then i got greedy and wanted to fix my temps to be cooler and now i have these issues:

My h70 corsair i felt wasnt cooling properly, even when not under load.. ie: in the bios it read 54-55C at 5ghz at 1.41 volts.. roughly 39-40C in the bios at 3.4ghz for perspective.. i didnt think this was good (my max load at 5ghz was about 82C after several hours of prime95, it would fluctuate between 78-82 etc, at ambient of 21 or 22C). Things were set as exhaust.

I used 90% alcohol to redo with arctic matrix mx4, several times, no change.. nothing i did mattered and the radiator when removing a fan didnt even feel warm..

So now my asus p8p67 deluxe board suddenly crapped on me..

I had a mem ok red led on trying to post (wouldnt post).. took out all but 1 chip, posted ok.. then it would shut off and the cpu red led came on..

I managed to get it to post again.. looked in bios it said 75C.. i tried shutting down and making sure everything was ok with the h70, it was, turned back on and i got a cpu overheat message on post.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone thus far?

I'm basically going to try swapping parts to figure out what the problem is.. even if a cmos clear fixes the post, i still would feel better with a replacement board i think?

Something is amiss big time.. i had a perfect though a tad warm at prime95 max load, 5ghz setup and shouldnt have tried to mess with the paste i guess :(

Last edited:
I had success overclocking 24 hours stable at 5ghz.

But my h70 corsair i felt wasnt cooling properly, even when not under load.. ie: in the bios it read 54-55C at 5ghz at 1.41 volts.. roughly 39-40C in the bios at 3.4ghz for perspective.. i didnt think this was good (my max load at 5ghz was about 82C after several hours of prime95, it would fluctuate between 78-82 etc, at ambient of 21 or 22C). Things were set as exhaust.

I used 90% alcohol to redo with arctic matrix mx4, several times, no change.. nothing i did mattered and the radiator when removing a fan didnt even feel warm..

So now my asus p8p67 deluxe board suddenly crapped on me..

I had a mem ok red led on trying to post (wouldnt post).. took out all but 1 chip, posted ok.. then it would shut off and the cpu red led came on..

I managed to get it to post again.. looked in bios it said 75C.. i tried shutting down and making sure everything was ok with the h70, it was, turned back on and i got a cpu overheat message on post.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone thus far?

I'm basically going to try swapping parts to figure out what the problem is.. even if a cmos clear fixes the post, i still would feel better with a replacement board i think?

Something is amiss big time.. i had a perfect though a tad warm at prime95 max load, 5ghz setup and shouldnt have tried to mess with the paste i guess :(

Is it possibly your H70 pump isn't working? Can you it start pumping when turning on your PC?

Is it possibly your H70 pump isn't working? Can you it start pumping when turning on your PC?

Well, at least before the sudden spike to 75 on fresh cold boot into bios.. before when it was at 54 or so, i tried disconnected the power pin for pump and temps climbed fast into 60's (i then shut it down and plugged back in)..

So at least the pump is working ?

Still not stable with Prime

I'm able to stablize with IBT without any issue at 4.8ghz at 1.415 and 1.425 both, but not stable with Prime BSOD in few min..

My System Specs
i7-2600k

Here are my settings
UEFI Bios Version =============== 1204
Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed =============== 4800
Target Dram Speed =============== 1333
Ai Overclock Tuner =============== Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency =============== 100
Turbo Ratio =============== By All Cores (Can Adjust in OS)
By All Cores (Can Adjust In OS) =============== 48
Internal PLL Overvoltage =============== Auto
Memory Frequency =============== DDR3-1333
EPU Power Saving Mode =============== Disabled
>OC Tuner ===============
>Dram Timing Control ===============
-Dram CAS# Latency =============== 9
-Dram RAS# To CAS# Delay =============== 9
-Dram RAS# Pre Time =============== 9
-Dram RAS# Act Time =============== 24
-Dram Command Mode =============== 2(This I have no idea nothing listed on my memory)http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=23&prodgroupid=71&id=765&type=1>
CPU Power Management ===============
(Digi + VRM) ===============
Load-line Calibration =============== Ultra-High
VRM Frequency =============== Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode =============== 350
Phase Control =============== Extreme
Duty Control =============== Extreme
CPU Curren Capability =============== 100%
Cpu Voltage =============== Manual Mode
Cpu Manual Voltage =============== 1.335
DRAM Voltage =============== Auto / 1.55 / 1.65
VCCSA Voltage =============== .95
VCCIO Voltage =============== 1.05
CPU PLL Voltage =============== Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum =============== Auto

I'm able to stablize with IBT without any issue at 4.8ghz at 1.415 and 1.425 both, but not stable with Prime BSOD in few min..

My System Specs
i7-2600k

Here are my settings
-Dram Command Mode =============== 2(This I have no idea nothing listed on my memory)http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=23&prodgroupid=71&id=765&type=1>

For me, i had vccsa voltage and vccio volts at auto and i hit stability for 24 hours with prime95 blend at 1.385 for 4.8ghz (and 1.41 at 5ghz).

For me, i had vccsa voltage and vccio volts at auto and i hit stability for 24 hours with prime95 blend at 1.385 for 4.8ghz (and 1.41 at 5ghz).

Wow.. that's awesome.. what is your memory and their settings and also are there any differences in the settings ?

Wow.. that's awesome.. what is your memory and their settings and also are there any differences in the settings ?

Your settings were pretty similar.. ram settings vary from chip to chip..

Here are all mine:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-moth...deluxe-2600k-5-0ghz-success.html#post12395916

Disregard the consequent posts about the issues i had .. i screwed something up when i redid the thermal paste.. should not have toyed with it anymore.. i had 5ghz success.. now i'm basically starting over with swapped parts soon

Can anybody help me please, i'm rather new to overclocking and while it seems super easy now i still got a few questions. I only have a i5-2500 non-k and wanted to use the 4 extra multipliers they gave this locked cpu to get it to 3,8-4,1 Ghz at least. I set the turbo ratio to 41 with the all cores/can set in os option. Should i instead use the per-core option ? I left everything else at auto or default except for manual settings for my ram. What i'm anxious about is the vcore voltage, i just think 1.256V is a tad too high for stock settings or slight overclocking, the cpu would sure run prime stable at 1.15V. If i set the voltage manually to 1.15V i will loose the auto down-volting ability from the offset mode. Is the correct way to cut down maximum load voltage to manually set a negative offset of lets say 0.100 ? I made this screenshot to show how it looks like. My temperatures are not good either at 1.256V and load, even with a H70. Is the auto voltage really that freely ?
i5-Idle-load-temp.jpg

Any suggestions ?

This is intense. I didn't follow the advice here to the letter but I'm currently pushing this p8p67 pro and 2600k @ 5GHz with LLC disabled; I'm seeing spikes up to 1.48v core (only set to +.200 offset).

Will see if it's stable here, almost too chicken to try to push further. What's the max safe voltage for this chip? :)

Last edited:
Ok guys, so I have a P8P67 board with a 2500k and I'm using a CM V8 cooler.

I hit 4.5ghz stable at 1.25volts, load temps (Prim95) 60 deg C
4.7ghz stable at 1.31volts, load temps (Prime95) 69 deg C
5.0ghz at 1.41volts, load temps (Prime95) 84 deg C after a few minutes and I turned off my machine and clocked down.

So, question is, what is the safe maximum temp to run this CPU at?

What cooler should I use to hit 5ghz with decent temps? Seems like a lot of people are using the H70, what kind of load temps are folks getting at 5ghz with this cooler?

Thanks for the help.

p.s. this is my first post in this forum

5.0ghz at 1.41volts, load temps (Prime95) 84 deg C after a few minutes and I turned off my machine and clocked down.

What cooler should I use to hit 5ghz with decent temps? Seems like a lot of people are using the H70, what kind of load temps are folks getting at 5ghz with this cooler?

Thanks for the help.

p.s. this is my first post in this forum

Do you generally load your PC like prime95 does?

The answer is no one knows what the answer is...but your numbers look pretty good to me. I would not hesitate the 4.7 and if you don't run at 100% load all the time, you could probably live with the 5GHz. Heck, you could probably run it full bore at 5GHz and be fine, but who really knows. Obviously, intel didn't want you running it at that temp at idle and probably not at full load, either, else they would have sold it to you as a 5 GHz chip.

Are you guys using offset or manual for cpu voltage? I'm not sure I'm understanding wtf offset is actually doing.

In order to offset from something it needs a baseline level of voltage ~ WTF is the baseline?

For instance, after resetting bios I get cpu vcore of something like 1.2. By this I would want ideally to +.200 in order to get it to around 1.4 right?

Doesn't seem to be doing that. My voltage then becomes 1.367 after the next reboot; and then after some benching I notice the vcore get up to 1.6v in CPU-Z.

I've tried with both LLC set to regular and ultra high; seems to be doing this in either case.

I know that Intel's rec. is around 1.5-1.52 max vcore so this offset mystery is a little scary. Luckily my temps have been fairly good, highest I've seen so far is 58c.'

Currently on 1204.

Are you guys using offset or manual for cpu voltage? I'm not sure I'm understanding wtf offset is actually doing.

In order to offset from something it needs a baseline level of voltage ~ WTF is the baseline?

For instance, after resetting bios I get cpu vcore of something like 1.2. By this I would want ideally to +.200 in order to get it to around 1.4 right?

Doesn't seem to be doing that. My voltage then becomes 1.367 after the next reboot; and then after some benching I notice the vcore get up to 1.6v in CPU-Z.

I've tried with both LLC set to regular and ultra high; seems to be doing this in either case.

I know that Intel's rec. is around 1.5-1.52 max vcore so this offset mystery is a little scary. Luckily my temps have been fairly good, highest I've seen so far is 58c.'

Currently on 1204.
Set LLC to regular = 0% and Internal PLL = disable because they will add voltages. Think, base voltage is ~1.23V. Thus, with everything lowest and/or default & +offset 0.040, [email protected] idle and [email protected] load.

Little more playing around.

I noticed, unless I give it a lot more voltage than I'd like then I have to leave PLL on in order to boot into Windows and LLC on to remain stable, so that means I have to sacrifice sleep function for overclocked usage.

Seems pretty stable at 4.8GHz with +.100v offset; seems to stay under 1.5v with sub 60c temps. This particular chip really likes voltage; my ceiling so far is 5.1GHz but with +.200v wich is more than I'd really like to give it for extended use. Anyone had similar experience? I notice most are staying super conservative with their voltage.

Last edited:

My System Specs
i7-2600k

Here are my settings

I had similar problems with similar configuration.
What really helped me is that I found info on some website regarding BSOD error codes.

BSOD Codes
0x124 = add/remove vcore or QPI/VTT voltage (usually Vcore, once it was QPI/VTT)
0x101 = add more vcore
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency add DDR3 voltage or add QPI/VTT
0x1E = add more vcore
0x3B = add more vcore
0xD1 = add QPI/VTT voltage
“0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances”
0X109 = add DDR3 voltage
0x0A = add QPI/VTT voltage

Here is the source, there is more info on overclocking sandybridge.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a.html

So I raised VCCIO to 1.125 and system is stable after 2h in prime, I stopped it after that.
After couple of days no random BSODs everything stable at 4.7ghz.

Have not tried it yet at 4.8 because I would need more vcore. Currently on load I'm at 1.41 - 1.43v

My config:
Asus P8P67
Core i7 2600k
4x2gb 1333Mhz DDR3 TakeMS
Coolermaster Hyper 212+

sleep works fine on my P8P67-M Pro, does it work at stock clocks or lower overclocks?

The intel specsheet says 72.6 deg C. Leave a few degrees for dust buildup, summer scorchers, etc, and you're looking at the 4.5-4.66 range. If you haven't got a specific task in mind, 4.5 will more than suffice for anything these days.

I just tested an extreme overclock and played COD blackops for over an hour without a crash. Crazy stuff. AI Suite II shows cpu temp at 64.

Back