Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

Still waiting for a Freesync version.

then you're waiting for nothing because that would be the Asus MG279Q which shares the same panel as this monitor....unless you really want an Acer version which would probably have the same awful glossy bezels found in this monitor and their 4k G-Sync.

Alright, I went to nearby Microcenter in Houston. Picked up my second XB270HU (dated June 2015). Even worse backlight bleed than the one from B&H. Went back for an exchange, they had the last one. Tested there as they were kind enough to let me do that, still the same issue. They gave me a full refund without issue.

So THREE monitors in a row with aweful backlight bleed. What will the odds be when the B&H exchange monitor arrives? Not taking the chance and decided to change it from an exchange to a refund.

Will wait longer for a new product.

Alright, I went to nearby Microcenter in Houston. Picked up my second XB270HU (dated June 2015). Even worse backlight bleed than the one from B&H. Went back for an exchange, they had the last one. Tested there as they were kind enough to let me do that, still the same issue. They gave me a full refund without issue.

So THREE monitors in a row with aweful backlight bleed. What will the odds be when the B&H exchange monitor arrives? Not taking the chance and decided to change it from an exchange to a refund.

That's insane... Is anyone in Acer management even looking into this bullshit?

I would highly recommend avoiding this monitor as, despite it's features, has horrible QA issues. You are more likely to get a bad one vs a good one.

You might just be a tad sensitive to black light bleed.

Well, if you are shelling out +$750 on a monitor, chances are, you will notice these things.

With that said, it was clearly distracting before sunset and as outdoor lights started to dim. Easily can be noticed at night. Added, I usually don't sit infront of my PC when it is fully lit in the room.

Well, if you are shelling out +$750 on a monitor, chances are, you will notice these things.

With that said, it was clearly distracting before sunset and as outdoor lights started to dim. Easily can be noticed at night. Added, I usually don't sit infront of my PC when it is fully lit in the room.

Problem is that if someone wants a 1440p IPS 144Hz G-Sync monitor then really this is the only choice unless you're willing to wait for the Asus PG279Q in hopes that it will have better QC. But judging from the PG278Q and the MG279Q I'm rather doubtful that it's going to be a whole lot better. It's just sad that buying a high end gaming monitor no matter which one it is, is going to involve some degree of risk despite the price tag.

Well, I decided to give this monitor another shot. This was to be my 3rd and final try. This new one had a July build date and was perfect except for 2 faint dust specks near the corner of the screen. I gave the area around the specks a couple of firm flicks / taps and THANKFULLY, I was able to move them off the screen. If you get one that just has a problem with a speck of dust, try doing what I did and see if you can move them off the screen. Just don't tap so hard that you break the monitor :D

I dunno, I guess I won the Monitor lottery. Mine is flawless except for maybe one or two black light bleeding spots. Then again I've never had a perfect IPS monitor in that regard (I've owned four).

I wait a couple of months though, because i had the Asus Swift (funny because all 3 i had, had no issues). The very first XB270HU I bought and it has no apparent issues. Not a single speck of dust or dead/stuck pixel, very minimal black light bleed. Heck I don't even notice the IPS glow. The gaming experience on this monitor is fantastic.

A perfect IPS monitor means you won't buy another next year or in two.
Manufacturers can't allow that, can't allow you to have and enjoy good product for 5-7 years, that's money loss to them.

I don't understand all the dust under the screen complaints. I mean I've seen thousands of new monitors over the years. I've never seen one with obvious junk under the screen. Not even on $100 generic screens. What the heck kind of environment are they assembling these in? That's bonkers.

I don't understand all the dust under the screen complaints. I mean I've seen thousands of new monitors over the years. I've never seen one with obvious junk under the screen. Not even on $100 generic screens. What the heck kind of environment are they assembling these in? That's bonkers.

That's what I was thinking. But there are serious pics in this thread. And testing for dust should be automated, a simple full screen + camera + image analysis at the factory.

That's what I was thinking. But there are serious pics in this thread. And testing for dust should be automated, a simple full screen + camera + image analysis at the factory.

Some people actually found bugs under the screen of this monitor! :eek:

Happy (and lucky) to report no dead pixels or major backlight bleed on mine - but then again I am not sensitive at all to the latter.

I will say the ROG Swift monitor has slightly better pixel response than this monitor, so if ultimately you want the BEST fps and motion monitor, it's the Swift. But other than that this monitor is fantastic, as far as uniformity is concerned the Acer wins by a landslide. G-SYNC is obviously amazing, if you find a good (bug and dust free) you have your hands on the BEST overall gaming monitor on the market.

Last edited:

Damn, I ran by the other day and almost bit the bullet at that Microcenter. Glad I didn't. I really want to buy one of these but it's just appalling how bad the lottery is. :mad:

Damn, I ran by the other day and almost bit the bullet at that Microcenter. Glad I didn't. I really want to buy one of these but it's just appalling how bad the lottery is. :mad:

he's either trolling, or doesn't know the difference between backlight bleed and ips glow.

so you refuse to purchase one these monitors because someone is having a bad luck, and on top of that you don't even know if he's telling the truth? cool story bro.

he's either trolling, or doesn't know the difference between backlight bleed and ips glow.

so you refuse to purchase one these monitors because someone is having a bad luck, and on top of that you don't even know if he's telling the truth? cool story bro.

that's hilarious, but that make sense the guy can't tell the difference between ips glow and back light bleed. :D

I posted some pictures of my monitor a few weeks ago showing the BLB in some overexposed shots and wondering if i should return it and im glad i didnt.

What finally convinced me not to was when Id play Quake 1 (very dark game) to see how distracting the blb was...id always get distracted with playing the game and forget about the BLB completely lol. When id remember and look, it wasnt a big deal at all. I dont notice it at all while playing tho im sure if mirrored the game on a CRT next to my screen itd be obvious.

I consider myself pretty sensitive to things like blb and in this case it didnt bother me. No dead pixels or dust at all. Looks 100x better than my old Vg278h. I played cs go after a week on the VG after using this monitor for a week just to see the difference and couldnt stand it for more than 10 minutes. Im keeping the vg278h for 3d tho...thats the only thing keeping this monitor from being the absolute complete package.

Don't get discouraged by some of the pictures of the screen with the BLB, even looking at my own at first it drove me nuts even though the reality is those images were super overexposed. It is absolutely not like that IRL.

I posted some pictures of my monitor a few weeks ago showing the BLB in some overexposed shots and wondering if i should return it and im glad i didnt.

What finally convinced me not to was when Id play Quake 1 (very dark game) to see how distracting the blb was...id always get distracted with playing the game and forget about the BLB completely lol. When id remember and look, it wasnt a big deal at all. I dont notice it at all while playing tho im sure if mirrored the game on a CRT next to my screen itd be obvious.

I consider myself pretty sensitive to things like blb and in this case it didnt bother me. No dead pixels or dust at all. Looks 100x better than my old Vg278h. I played cs go after a week on the VG after using this monitor for a week just to see the difference and couldnt stand it for more than 10 minutes. Im keeping the vg278h for 3d tho...thats the only thing keeping this monitor from being the absolute complete package.

Don't get discouraged by some of the pictures of the screen with the BLB, even looking at my own at first it drove me nuts even though the reality is those images were super overexposed. It is absolutely not like that IRL.

It is definitely not the perfect monitor but dam does it sure come close. Glad you're enjoying yours.

Well I finally had to bite the bullet and send mine back. The blacklight bleed was just too much even during the day. I think I was in denial. One of the problems that finally convinced me though was that I slowly had dead pixels start showing up. I ran tests first thing, so I know they weren't there when I first setup up the monitor. Even more concerning is that the monitor started having issues waking up and would not come out of standby. Finally had to plug in my old monitor to resolve it.

I've seen a couple of posts here and elsewhere about the July build being better. Can anyone else confirm that?

Amazon has these for $719.99 right now, and it's shipped by Amazon, not from a 3rd party reseller. Anyone here go from a ROG Swift to the Acer? If so, what do you think?

Ok I purchased this monitor last week, and its running fine and good quality with no problems except a small area only noticeable on white if I look for it where there is a tiny dark spot and I have to kind of look for it, even though I know its there. No burned pixels, IPS glow or whatever.

2 Questions:

1. What am I doing wrong? I don't see any "WOW" when it comes to GSynch or the 144hz part of this monitor. I barely notice any difference over my old Dell 2412m.

GSynch is enabled for FullScrean and Windowed Mode and I am pretty sure I have the monitor set to OVERDRIVE and 144hz via the windows Advanced settings option.

2. What should I use for scaling on Windows 10 so I can read the damn text on this thing. I tried to turn it to 125% Font size in Windows 10, but that seems too big. Any suggestions?

PC Specs:
I am running a Gigabyte 980 Ti with an Overclocked Core i5 2500k at 4.4ghz and Windows 10.
I am playing ARK, Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed Unity, Dishonored, Divinity and I tried out GTA5 before I had to delete it to make room for MGS5 today.

At this point, I would sell the damn thing. I mean, its a kick ass monitor, but I see nothing that indicates much better anything over my Dell 2412m when it comes to GSynch or 144hz. I can't justify the $1200 I spent on this with 2 year NCIX Warranty.

Am I supposed to be playing games at over 60 fps for that to show up?

Thanks. And yes, I am being serious.

Ok I purchased this monitor last week, and its running fine and good quality with no problems except a small area only noticeable on white if I look for it where there is a tiny dark spot and I have to kind of look for it, even though I know its there. No burned pixels, IPS glow or whatever.

2 Questions:

1. What am I doing wrong? I don't see any "WOW" when it comes to GSynch or the 144hz part of this monitor. I barely notice any difference over my old Dell 2412m.

GSynch is enabled for FullScrean and Windowed Mode and I am pretty sure I have the monitor set to OVERDRIVE and 144hz via the windows Advanced settings option.

2. What should I use for scaling on Windows 10 so I can read the damn text on this thing. I tried to turn it to 125% Font size in Windows 10, but that seems too big. Any suggestions?

PC Specs:
I am running a Gigabyte 980 Ti with an Overclocked Core i5 2500k at 4.4ghz and Windows 10.
I am playing ARK, Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed Unity, Dishonored, Divinity and I tried out GTA5 before I had to delete it to make room for MGS5 today.

At this point, I would sell the damn thing. I mean, its a kick ass monitor, but I see nothing that indicates much better anything over my Dell 2412m when it comes to GSynch or 144hz. I can't justify the $1200 I spent on this with 2 year NCIX Warranty.

Am I supposed to be playing games at over 60 fps for that to show up?

Thanks. And yes, I am being serious.

Yes you have to be playing games at well over 60fps in order to really feel the difference from a 60Hz monitor. 60fps is still 60fps even if it's on a 144Hz monitor. Based on the games you're playing I would imagine it's a little bit harder to appreciate the difference that a high refresh rate monitor makes as it tends to make the most noticeable difference when it comes to very fast paced games. As for gsync, well if you've always played with vsync OFF like me or you've always managed to stay well above the vsync refresh rate while using it and avoided stutter then I suppose gsync would be harder to appreciate. I personally didn't notice any difference in smoothness with gsync on coming from my Asus VG248QE. The only thing I noticed was the fact that there was no screen tearing present anymore which is still nice.

If you are locked at 60 fps, you won't see much difference, if any.

Use "normal" not "overdrive" iirc, from the TftCentral article.

I don't see any "WOW" when it comes to GSynch or the 144hz part of this monitor. I barely notice any difference over my old Dell 2412m.

make sure you are running full screen, not windowed anything. make sure you use geforce experience to set all the game settings automatically, just in case something was set wrong. a common mistake is people set "vsync on" in the game, and then gsync is killed.

a 144hz monitor will make any frame rate look better because no frame rate (except fixed video) aligns perfectly with 60hz. so even if you are running at 35fps, the 144hz monitor will look better, because more of those frames will be drawn on time.

with gsync added to the equation, you get both zero lag and zero tearing. with vsync you get lag, and without vsync you get tearing. gsync is the best of both worlds, and it's noticeable, but of course there's always somebody who never noticed the problems in the first place. I suspect even those people will finally realize what they were missing when they go BACKWARDS in technology. it will be like being shown the cigar burns in movies and never un-seeing them.

if you cant tell the difference between 144hz with gsync and a 60hz Dell monitor then you should be picking up a phone to set up an appointment to see a doctor for a complete body scan.

another thing is, why wouldn't you be getting above 60fps with a 980ti? rofl, that is proof that you're making stuff up.

Just received mine yesterday afternoon from Amazon.

Here are the calibration settings I'm using for ULMB @100cd/m2 after calibrating with an i1pro

Brightness: 75
Contrast: 45
Gamma: 2.2

Red: 50
Green: 46
Blue: 44

Here are the matching calibration settings for G-Sync/Normal @100cd/m2:

Brightness: 25
Contrast: 45

Red: 50
Green: 45
Blue: 46

OR

Brightness: 23
Contrast: 50

Red: 49
Green: 45
Blue: 46

Edit 2015-09-08: I noticed that pushing any of the color values or contrast above 50 was causing color clipping, so I've posted new settings.

Note: On my July batch monitor, the 2.2 Gamma preset = ~2.09, not 2.4 like TFTCentral's review sample from the initial batch.
Judging from the numbers in TFTCentral's review, Acer may have relabeled the gamma presets in the newer firmware so they'd have closer matches out-of-box.

Old | New
1.9 | 2.2 preset = ~2.09
2.2 | 2.5 preset = ~2.35
...and so on for the other presets

Last edited:
I only eyeballed mine, too lazy to drag out the colorimeter.

Brightness: 5
Contrast: 50
Gamma: 1.9

Red: 56
Green: 44
Blue: 50

I read over the thread so what I gather is that is an excellent monitor assuming you get one without any manufacturing defects? Also, I see some mention of it not being ideal in a dark environment so I would like to hear some feed back on that. If I decide to purchase one I will make sure to do it from someone with a good return policy.

I read over the thread so what I gather is that is an excellent monitor assuming you get one without any manufacturing defects? Also, I see some mention of it not being ideal in a dark environment so I would like to hear some feed back on that. If I decide to purchase one I will make sure to do it from someone with a good return policy.

It's not ideal for dim rooms due to either IPS glow or the reflections caused by the glossy bezels which can be a little bit distracting at times.

I'm on my third one of these...the first two had dead pixels and dust under the screen. I've already found a few dead pixels on this one too. :(

I'm on my third one of these...the first two had dead pixels and dust under the screen. I've already found a few dead pixels on this one too. :(

No point in continuing to play the panel lottery on this. Just wait for the new revision XB271HU I think it's called. Or wait for the Asus PG279Q.

Back