Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

So, can people here tell me:

1. Did you find this monitor to be WORTH THE PURCHASE in the end for gaming?
2. Do you prefer GSynch or ULMB mode?
3. Do you switch between the two modes?
4. Is there a reason they cant do 3dVision from nVidia? Kinda wishes for that but whatever...

I am seriously thinking of buying this monitor from NCIX, they have a pretty good program for replacing faulty monitors (up to 3 times, for $50 extra), so I may take a gamble with this. I doubt the Asus version P279Q will be much better....

Plan is to hook it up to a new 980Ti and replace my Dell 2412m (which will become my second monitor and replace my 2407).

dude, once you go Gsync there is no coming back, going back is like going back to stone age.

best part is when I max some of my games to the point where my fps drops to 50fps on avg and yet I cant tell the difference when it was running at 100+fps.

ulmb is nice too, I use it for racing games, for some reason it feels more realistic due to fast movement, but at the end I use gsync for most of my games.

Last edited:
I think i am the most experienced for your questions since i bought like 7 of these monitors and kept 2 lol.

1. Did you find this monitor to be WORTH THE PURCHASE in the end for gaming?
HELL YES ! I have not experienced smooth gameplay since my Silicon graphics G520 trinitron CRT

2. Do you prefer GSynch or ULMB mode? I prefer ULMB turned on when playing Counter Strike CS GO . Some reason I feel like i have an edge and my scores sometimes show it. On Gsync it is butter smooth at 144hz. Everything else so far i prefer Gsync at 60hz or 144hz, depending on the game of course.

3. Do you switch between the two modes? Sometimes I do switch but most of the time no; i leave it on Gsync because its perfect at whatever frame rate the game was meant to be played at. If you can get away with more than 60hz yeah do it and leave it on gsync. Did i tell you i like gsync :) especially when a monitor is IPS , 144hz calibrated 1200:1 contrast ratio and perfect RGB curve. These panels are nice! The 980ti is perfect for 2560x1440 , however SLI would be alot better

4. Is there a reason they cant do 3dVision from nVidia? Kinda wishes for that but whatever...
Never really cared or used 3d vision , just because i own a 3d plasma 64". Anywy dont be afraid to jump into this monitor even if you get a few small pixels that dont fire. As long as they are not in the middle you are fine.

I am pretty sure Asus will have the same issues with IPS glow , dead pixels but just come with a prettier bezel. Other than not have OLED/plasma blacks this monitor is perfect for me for the next 2 years or until pascal has the ability to run 144hz gsync on 4k monitors. It will be a 1-2 years before a 4k 144hz monitor arrives with gsync that can be driven by a video card that can achieve 60-144 FPS
i think you get the drift

This is encouraging a lot. I recently ordered it online from B&H and seems to be from the latest batch (v2?) and adding SLI 980 Ti Hybrid from EVGA. Gonna be fun playing with these and hope that all arrive safely and in perfect condition with no defects. I have zero tolerance to deadpixel and can live with other issues if they aren't THAT glaring. I am moving from that QNIX Korean monitor that a fellow HardForum member sold to me, which was awesome and at a good price.

Should have everything setup after two weeks if all goes to plan!

i found the xb270hu a more worth wild upgrade than upgrading to two 980 ti SLI from 980s in SLI
i did not get the wow factor like i did with the XB270HU

This is encouraging a lot. I recently ordered it online from B&H and seems to be from the latest batch (v2?) and adding SLI 980 Ti Hybrid from EVGA. Gonna be fun playing with these and hope that all arrive safely and in perfect condition with no defects. I have zero tolerance to deadpixel and can live with other issues if they aren't THAT glaring. I am moving from that QNIX Korean monitor that a fellow HardForum member sold to me, which was awesome and at a good price.

Should have everything setup after two weeks if all goes to plan!

there is no such thing as V2 batch , the current date on the box is June 2015

So I was not able to get to my local Microcenter this weekend and unfortunately they sold out on this monitor.

I am trying to get my new build together sooner than later (LOL 6700k availability), but the monitor is also sold out online.

I'm ok waiting a bit longer for it to come back in stock, but I see that newegg has a few refurb units. Part of me thinks that these refurb units might not be a bad idea as maybe the 2nd go around Acer would have corrected any of the issues that caused the original buyer to send it back in the first place. But then I also wonder about their QC in general and whether they'd just be like "Meh, it's in spec" and re-sell the same flawed monitor.

Is my logic ok here or should I avoid a refurb one at all costs?

So I was not able to get to my local Microcenter this weekend and unfortunately they sold out on this monitor.

I am trying to get my new build together sooner than later (LOL 6700k availability), but the monitor is also sold out online.

I'm ok waiting a bit longer for it to come back in stock, but I see that newegg has a few refurb units. Part of me thinks that these refurb units might not be a bad idea as maybe the 2nd go around Acer would have corrected any of the issues that caused the original buyer to send it back in the first place. But then I also wonder about their QC in general and whether they'd just be like "Meh, it's in spec" and re-sell the same flawed monitor.

Is my logic ok here or should I avoid a refurb one at all costs?

Would not risk a refurb to be honest, heck I would not have picked one if i didnt have a microcenter half hour away. I waited about 4 months before picking one up. Just be patient

Would not risk a refurb to be honest, heck I would not have picked one if i didnt have a microcenter half hour away. I waited about 4 months before picking one up. Just be patient

Thanks for the advice. Popped up back in stock this morning on newegg and I ordered a non-refurb one. Quickly went out of stock after that!

Here's hoping the "summer versions" are indeed less problematic as some people seem to suggest.

Thanks for the advice. Popped up back in stock this morning on newegg and I ordered a non-refurb one. Quickly went out of stock after that!

Here's hoping the "summer versions" are indeed less problematic as some people seem to suggest.

I find it amazing that this monitor is still being sold out on newegg, no wonder Asus is releasing their version of the same display so late.

Monitor is on sale at $719.99 on Amazon. Tempting but I'm going to wait for the upcoming Asus IPS gsync and see how that compares.

Last edited:
its the same panel with a fancy bezel with an extra hdmi port for 799.00. Should be out in 2 months for wide availability
in the mean time i will enjoy my xb270hu like i did the last month

Yeah, that's what I hear. I'd still like to read some reviews and see how the two compare before upgrading. In the meantime, the ROG Swift has served me well - that is, until recently. LOL. I'm waiting for the RMA'd one to come back right now.

Yeah, that's what I hear. I'd still like to read some reviews and see how the two compare before upgrading. In the meantime, the ROG Swift has served me well - that is, until recently. LOL. I'm waiting for the RMA'd one to come back right now.

what happened to your rog swift. Also ips is superior vs tn for picture quality

what happened to your rog swift. Also ips is superior vs tn for picture quality

My ROG Swift crapped out on me. :mad: The text started going bad, to the point where it became illegible and the screen was constantly flickering.

Yeah, I want the IPS display, so I'll either be upgrading to the Acer one or the upcoming ASUS IPS one.

Got this monitor yesterday, hooked it up last night and...holy shit. It's almost as revolutionary as going from software rendered Quake to GL Quake on the 3DFX Voodoo 1.

Got this monitor yesterday, hooked it up last night and...holy shit. It's almost as revolutionary as going from software rendered Quake to GL Quake on the 3DFX Voodoo 1.

I was playing TF2 at a friend's house, and it was "choppy" but then I looked at the fps counter and it was over 120 fps ... then I realized I was using a normal 60Hz screen, what a difference gsync + 144 makes. I was surprised. It's really notable in the character animations / taunts.

I agree man, I felt the same way, too bad that some people in here who are all out to make this monitor look bad will never know the experience.

those are the ones who cant stop talking about the bazel and glossy stuff around the monitor, you just ignore them and enjoy your display.

So I just got the Acer from newegg, and you could tell that the tape sealing the top of the box had been cut through (new, not refurb). Everything inside looks ok, still sealed, etc. I haven't built my system yet so can't test it....but any cause for concern?

Double checked my order...did NOT accidentally order a refurb/open box one.

Last edited:
So I just got the Acer from newegg, and you could tell that the tape sealing the top of the box had been cut through (new, not refurb). Everything inside looks ok, still sealed, etc. I haven't built my system yet so can't test it....but any cause for concern?

Double checked my order...did NOT accidentally order a refurb/open box one.

Power it on to see if you have any defects. Don't wait to long.

My ROG Swift crapped out on me. :mad: The text started going bad, to the point where it became illegible and the screen was constantly flickering.

Yeah, I want the IPS display, so I'll either be upgrading to the Acer one or the upcoming ASUS IPS one.

Sounds like the caps went on the monitor. That can be fixed actually....

Probably involves voiding any warranty or RMA-ability you have by taking a solder gun to the innards of the monitor.

I got mine yesterday. Zero dead pixels but with back light bleed at top of screen; one to the left and other to the right. Both can only be noticed at night with dark images or blackness and I have to look for them to notice. Not so much the one on the right. I ordered it from b&h. Otherwise the monitor is as praised!

Update: Upon further use of the monitor, I am starting to getting thoughts of returning this as I paid quite a sum and frankly should get zero issues and in my case, minimal to none noticeable backlight bleed. Have a look and tell me what you think? Both the two at the top can be easily seen in dark scenes and throughout tbh and especially at night with moderate to no light in the room.

zs9gUkm.jpg

Slight Angle

h1OaiFf.jpg

Please recommend a course of action!

Last edited:
Where do you guys suggest ordering this from for the best chance at getting one without defects? I ordered from Amazon last week but some other company (Beach Audio) or something fulfilled the order. There was a dead pixel right in the middle and some pretty noticeable glowing on all 4 eges. I put in an RMA request so hopefully I can get a refund.

Should I go directly from Acer? I looked at the box on the one that was shipped to me and it said it was made in May.

I got mine yesterday. Zero dead pixels but with back light bleed at top of screen; one to the left and other to the right. Both can only be noticed at night with dark images or blackness and I have to look for them to notice. Not so much the one on the right. I ordered it from b&h. Otherwise the monitor is as praised!

Update: Upon further use of the monitor, I am starting to getting thoughts of returning this as I paid quite a sum and frankly should get zero issues and in my case, minimal to none noticeable backlight bleed. Have a look and tell me what you think? Both the two at the top can be easily seen in dark scenes and throughout tbh and especially at night with moderate to no light in the room.

zs9gUkm.jpg

Slight Angle

h1OaiFf.jpg

Please recommend a course of action!
Terrible bleed. RMA ASAP.

Where do you guys suggest ordering this from for the best chance at getting one without defects? I ordered from Amazon last week but some other company (Beach Audio) or something fulfilled the order. There was a dead pixel right in the middle and some pretty noticeable glowing on all 4 eges. I put in an RMA request so hopefully I can get a refund.

Should I go directly from Acer? I looked at the box on the one that was shipped to me and it said it was made in May.

There is no safe place. Acer is pumping these monitors out with minimal QA. I suggest you try to buy it locally so that you don't have to go through the hassle of shipping back a defective unit. I've been reading this thread for a long time to see if Acer finally corrected all these quality issues but I don't see that happening. Such a shame since this is the ultimate gaming monitor for Nvidia users.

There is no safe place. Acer is pumping these monitors out with minimal QA. I suggest you try to buy it locally so that you don't have to go through the hassle of shipping back a defective unit. I've been reading this thread for a long time to see if Acer finally corrected all these quality issues but I don't see that happening. Such a shame since this is the ultimate gaming monitor for Nvidia users.

Hmm, it says Microcenter has 5 in stock but it's about 30 minutes away. Not too bad. I will probably wait until I hear back about my RMA to make sure I get a refund before I do this. At least when I get there I can ask to look at all 5 of the boxes to see when they were manufactured.

Can you think of any other stores that would carry this? Best Buy I saw has it on their site but no pickup for it so they must only ship.

why rma it? just send it back to the seller and get another one?

Isn't that the same thing though? I am just going to get a refund. There's always the chance that the new one will be just as bad. I am going to look around for retail places so if the same thing happens I can just drive there whenever I want rather than have to go through the process of packing it up and shipping it out.

Back