Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

I am calling it the Golden child monitor

No dead pixels /stuck, no back light bleed.
Perfect calibration
1200:1
Been through 3 monitors

Last edited:
What was the build month? I'm 0 for 3.

June

but it doesnt matter because i received a June model earlier and it had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, Can get quite annoying when surfing chrome or typing on Microsoft word with a white background

June

but it doesnt matter because i received a June model earlier and it had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, Can get quite annoying when surfing chrome or typing on Microsoft word with a white background

I believe that, i had two monitors with black pixels, drives you crazy. Sad to think that the June monitors are still having these issues. WTF, does anyone inspect these things?

I believe that, i had two monitors with black pixels, drives you crazy. Sad to think that the June monitors are still having these issues. WTF, does anyone inspect these things?

They are great monitors for gaming however even the new monitors have some stuck pixels or some wacky blacklight bleed in some areas. I just cant believe the LUT curve is a single line practically and this could not be achieved on any of the other monitors i tried previous to this one that had issues.

my second xb270hu has no major backlight bleed and about 4 stuck pixels "not a deep black" but they are only about 2-5 cm from the bezel. I calibrated to 1205:1 contrast ratio but the LUT curve blue was out and red slightly even though i calibrated the monitors RGB settings on user. Either way when it finished the monitor looks exactly like the golden child monitor. It is rare for any monitor i think to have a straight RGB LUT curve but it goes to show you the lottery is true.

Perfect calibration
Been through 3 monitors

nice, but I felt even better when I nailed a perfect one on the 1st try:D

Just got the perfect display from Acer.

Perfect calibration
Been through 3 monitors

Wow, that's great! So they redesigned the monitor for you and made it look like something worthy of the high price tag, getting rid of the glossy piano black base and matching chunky bezel, making it matte so it that doesn't permanently reflect what's on the display? That's amazing of them, well done Acer!! :D

If that's the only thing people can complain about, then yes, this is the perfect monitor. Plastidip your monitor if you want it matte so bad :p

Wow, that's great! So they redesigned the monitor for you and made it look like something worthy of the high price tag, getting rid of the glossy piano black base and matching chunky bezel, making it matte so it that doesn't permanently reflect what's on the display? That's amazing of them, well done Acer!! :D

actually the matte coating is semi glossy and does a freakin outstanding job versus my korean DS270 which looks like i was looking in the mirror. Sometimes my Girlfriend thought we had an extra mirror in the house. On top of that its Gsync IPS 144hz 1206:1 contrast ratio with no barely no backlight bleeding , i will buy that for 586.00 after my 2% cash back but i am a slickdealer so i can let all my secrets loose on non acer fan.

Of course You will get all this in 2-3 months once you can finally get a new Asus 144hz Gsync IPS with an extra HDMI and additional lag for 800.00. Of course . Oh you will get that nice bulky asus stand that lights up , must be annoying at night. I am personally fine with the bezel and the way it rotates with acer and all that i got it for a low price.
Its ok to be jealous
you see i dont look at the bezel when i game , i do look at the game when i game lol
I dont have whats called OCD or ADD

In the mean time i feel sorry for all those who fell for Overlord Korean Crap a few months back with that fancy stand for 500+ dollars. In the mean time i will go game now on Gsync at 144 hz in full screen or window with a perfect IPS display.
Have a nice day

Of course you look at the screen not the bezel, but it does reflect. There are COUNTLESS complaints of this. If it doesn't bother you, then fine, good for you. The Asus stand that lights up can be turned off btw (as it can on the Swift), and it won't have any more noticeable lag than the Acer... that's nonsense.

Of course you look at the screen not the bezel, but it does reflect. There are COUNTLESS complaints of this. If it doesn't bother you, then fine, good for you. The Asus stand that lights up can be turned off btw (as it can on the Swift), and it won't have any more noticeable lag than the Acer... that's nonsense.

still 200.00 more and it wont be out for awhile

back to cs go
later

the Acer does not reflect anything like you describe, plz go troll somewhere else, you are in the wrong place.

Last edited:
the Acer does not reflect anything, plz go troll somewhere else, you are in the wrong place.

i like the no glare ,
came from one of the best AH-IPS glossy screens DS270 Yamakasi
Also the whites are white when calibrated.. No greenish white

Just to let everyone know using someones profile will not be 100% perfect. I have calibrated at least 4 of these monitors and all of them had different RGB settings using user D65 or 6500k

I like the picture quality and can deal with a slight backlight bleed or IPS glow. The asus will have the same issues as it will be using the same panel.
I think it will be awhile before any manufacture can top the XB270HU as its the best 2k monitor on the market. maybe in 6 months to a year and i know for a fact asus will have more lag due to the extra HDMI port . I was all about having that extra HDMI port but then i was like well ill just play consoles on my 50" 4k LED vizio which actually has superb blacks better than any computer LED I have seen.
I still stick to my F8500 64" plasma for movies until a cheap 4k OLED is released in the 65" range for 2200.00 . That will be awhile.

Just release OLED computer monitors already :(
These dam koreans love milking the consumer and the technology to the bitter end. Maybe if Samsung buys AMD out then they will gear their monitors towards gamers .

the Acer does not reflect anything like you describe, plz go troll somewhere else, you are in the wrong place.

How is this trolling? It's a well reported criticism of this monitor, even reviews have mentioned it! It's a bad design, no one in their right mind would dispute this. If it doesn't bother you and isn't a problem, well done. You got it for a very good price so in many respects these issues are largely redundant, because in spite of them, I think it's actually worth what you paid for it. In my country it is twice that price, and it certainly is not worth that.

How is this trolling? It's a well reported criticism of this monitor, even reviews have mentioned it! It's a bad design, no one in their right mind would dispute this. If it doesn't bother you and isn't a problem, well done. You got it for a very good price so in many respects these issues are largely redundant, because in spite of them, I think it's actually worth what you paid for it. In my country it is twice that price, and it certainly is not worth that.

Probably costs koreans 127.95 to produce one Gsync Acer monitor. For Asus probably 129.99

i like the no glare ,
came from one of the best AH-IPS glossy screens DS270 Yamakasi
Also the whites are white when calibrated.. No greenish white

Just to let everyone know using someones profile will not be 100% perfect. I have calibrated at least 4 of these monitors and all of them had different RGB settings using user D65 or 6500k

I like the picture quality and can deal with a slight backlight bleed or IPS glow. The asus will have the same issues as it will be using the same panel.
I think it will be awhile before any manufacture can top the XB270HU as its the best 2k monitor on the market. maybe in 6 months to a year and i know for a fact asus will have more lag due to the extra HDMI port . I was all about having that extra HDMI port but then i was like well ill just play consoles on my 50" 4k LED vizio which actually has superb blacks better than any computer LED I have seen.
I still stick to my F8500 64" plasma for movies until a cheap 4k OLED is released in the 65" range for 2200.00 . That will be awhile.

Just release OLED computer monitors already :(
These dam koreans love milking the consumer and the technology to the bitter end. Maybe if Samsung buys AMD out then they will gear their monitors towards gamers .

You can't just assume that having an HDMI input automatically means more input lag. Some of Dell's monitors are delay free despite having multi input. And assuming it does increase input lag, it's still going to be better than the 4k Vizio which is like 17ms? Doubt the PG279Q will be anywhere near that high. I agree with you on pricing though since it's going to carry Asus's ROG branding on it so it'll be at minimum $800 for a monitor that's practically the same exact thing as an Acer

You can't just assume that having an HDMI input automatically means more input lag. Some of Dell's monitors are delay free despite having multi input. And assuming it does increase input lag, it's still going to be better than the 4k Vizio which is like 17ms? Doubt the PG279Q will be anywhere near that high. I agree with you on pricing though since it's going to carry Asus's ROG branding on it so it'll be at minimum $800 for a monitor that's practically the same exact thing as an Acer

History shows the more inputs you have the more lag. Well if you are running gsync probably won't matter anyway. Expect the same backlight bleed , dead pixels and IPS glow from Asus since the same people are providing the panels

I just noticed that amazon.com has this monitor going for $719.99 exclusively for prime members and finally pushed that buy button. Wait time is around 1-4 weeks, so hopefully i'll get decent one (if i don't change my mind a cancel the order in a few days). Fingers crossed.

Perfect calibration
Been through 3 monitors

Are you sure there is no backlight bleed? Have you tested it with a totally black image in the dark?

I have a June model and this is what it looks like in that scenario

That's a little overexposed due to being a cellphone camera, but its obvious when playing dark games. Sort of unbearable too. This is on the default brightness setting.

Im wondering if its even worth it to exchange this or if i should just get a refund and forget it. If there is a chance i can really get one with greatly reduced backlight bleed ill go for it otherwise i dont want to waste my time. I got this at a Microcenter an hour away.

Everything else is ok...no dead pixels or dust...just bad backlight bleed :(

qBitTorrent actually triggers on-screen corruption outside of the app's window, with a single-line of black/white hatch around the active torrent.

Are you sure there is no backlight bleed? Have you tested it with a totally black image in the dark?

I have a June model and this is what it looks like in that scenario

That's a little overexposed due to being a cellphone camera, but its obvious when playing dark games. Sort of unbearable too. This is on the default brightness setting.

Im wondering if its even worth it to exchange this or if i should just get a refund and forget it. If there is a chance i can really get one with greatly reduced backlight bleed ill go for it otherwise i dont want to waste my time. I got this at a Microcenter an hour away.

Everything else is ok...no dead pixels or dust...just bad backlight bleed :(

If it is really unbearable even during normal usage then just return it for another. It looks pretty bad, you can check out how mines looks on page 49 of this thread and I also took the picture with bad exposure, using a cellphone camera, in total darkness. Yet it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as that and it's not even noticeable during normal use.

Can anyone speak to the longevity of these monitors? My ROG Swift just broke and I want to replace it with this. Or is there a better alternative now or coming soon? I want an IPS, 120 hz or higher, gsync monitor.

Can anyone speak to the longevity of these monitors? My ROG Swift just broke and I want to replace it with this. Or is there a better alternative now or coming soon? I want an IPS, 120 hz or higher, gsync monitor.

Can't you just RMA it to Asus? Well as for this monitor I have one of the very first batches back in early April and it's still going strong to this day with 10+ hours of usage per day.

Can't you just RMA it to Asus? Well as for this monitor I have one of the very first batches back in early April and it's still going strong to this day with 10+ hours of usage per day.

Yeah, I'll probably RMA it but at this point, I don't trust ASUS that they'll give me another one that will be problem free. My coworker has had two ASUS monitors that have gone bad and now, mine has gone bad. So, I want to go with a different brand at this point.

Yeah, I'll probably RMA it but at this point, I don't trust ASUS that they'll give me another one that will be problem free. My coworker has had two ASUS monitors that have gone bad and now, mine has gone bad. So, I want to go with a different brand at this point.

Ouch sorry to hear that, just bad luck I guess. I have 2 Asus monitors myself, a VG248QE that I bought the day it launched and another 60Hz TN one that I owned long before the 248QE and both still work perfectly fine to this day.

well isn't this just something else. someone wanting to go from asus to acer because of quality issues, never thought i'd see the day.

Yeah I don't think you can split a hair between Acer and Asus in regards to quality issues. I have read equally daming reports from users of both. Asus seem to perhaps have the edge in after sales support, (although that seems to largely depend where you are in the world), but I'd always prefer to buy from the likes of Samsung or Dell if only they made monitors that I wanted!! :(

I've purchased a lot of cheap 1080p monitors for people from both Asus and Acer and they've all been flawless, it's only the very expensive ROG Swift and Predator that seem to suffer from QC issues which sucks since one would think the cheap crap is the stuff that would have bad QC...not the expensive $800 monitors.

chances are the acer and asus panels are made in the same factory. These high end monitors QC has been dogshit.

Yeah I don't think you can split a hair between Acer and Asus in regards to quality issues. I have read equally daming reports from users of both.

It's a toss up, really, and one of the biggest reasons I'm still on the fence.

Both the Asus and Acer share the same panel. Hence why many of the same problems exist.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

Aside from different processing the two monitors are basically the same and I would expect the upcoming Swift replacement to be in the same boat. At this time only AU Optronics manufactures a 27" IPS 144hz panel.

Last edited:
Both the Asus and Acer share the same panel. Hence why many of the same problems exist.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

Aside from different processing the two monitors are basically the same and I would expect the upcoming Swift replacement to be in the same boat. At this time only AU Optronics manufactures a 27" IPS 144hz panel.

This is true, and there does seem to be inherent issues with the panel itself, such as stuck/dead pixels and dirt under the screen, as well as horrendous IPS glow on some examples. Back light bleed can often be attributed to the bezels being fixed too tight, rather than the panel itself.

Regardless, there's no excuse for these things being missed during the QC process, which now seems to be non-existent for many monitors coming off the production line. The question is if Acer/Asus are being supplied with these shoddy panels in the first place, why are they accepting them? Acer are even part of the same company as AU Optronics, so that makes it even more damning and inexcusable! There are clearly good examples out there, so I can only surmise that they are being lazy in the production process, and it's too costly for them to fix it... but they don't seem to realise how badly it's damaging their reputation and the inevitable hit in sales as a result. This monitor sector is ripe for the taking if Samsung/Dell recognised the opportunity. They'd clean up!

Mine arrived on Wednesday. It's awesome :)

No dead pixels on mine, but there is some light around the corners on fully black backgrounds, in a blacked out room.

I don't game that way, we have a big window in my office, so with the ambient light from the room (even at night or with the lights on) the blb isn't enough to bother me.

Super happy with my purchase.

Just picked mine up from Microcenter. Monitor is amazing. Have some backlight bleed in the top right corner, but nothing severe. Certainly livable. No dead pixels or crap trapped in the panel. Just beautiful and smooth. Guess I am going to have to pony up for a second 980ti.:D

Back