Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

I said it before, and I'm saying it again. Do not buy this monitor, or anything else for that matter, from Antonline. If anything is wrong/go's wrong with it they will not help you. If you leave them honest negative feedback such as I did on Amazon, they will respond with lies and place the blame on you.

I said it before, and I'm saying it again. Do not buy this monitor, or anything else for that matter, from Antonline. If anything is wrong/go's wrong with it they will not help you. If you leave them honest negative feedback such as I did on Amazon, they will respond with lies and place the blame on you.

I don't recall what issue you had exactly, but have you had any luck working directly with Acer?

Anyone using this monitor coming from a 30" S-IPS previously? I've been wanting to upgrade from my HP ZR30w for a long time now so I can get to playing FPS games properly again. I tried out the Asus 24" 144hz monitor with lightboost last year when it was all the rage but the smaller screen size and washed out colors made me return it. I'm hoping this monitor might be an easier transition.

I don't recall what issue you had exactly, but have you had any luck working directly with Acer?

To recap, I ordered it from Antonline via Amazon. The monitor had a lot of very visible trapped dust as well as a few dead pixels. I asked for either a replacement or a refund. Antonline told me to pound sand, so I filed a claim against them on Amazon. I heard nothing back for two weeks so I called up Amazon to get a claim status update. They told me that after looking it over it was pretty much a guarantee that they would approve the claim. The next day I got an email telling me the claim was denied.

I ended up RMA'ing it to Acer, and after two weeks they sent me a refurbished monitor. This one has no dead pixels, and no perceivable backlight bleed, but does have a small amount of trapped dust. So in the end I paid $800 for a refurbished monitor, and had to wait a month to get it.

Yeah, never order something like a monitor from a 3rd party on Amazon. Only go with reputable dealers with clearly defined return/replacement policies.

Antonine does have clearly defined return policies, if you look at their page on Amazon. Buyer beware.

Funny, when I sell on Amazon I'm bound by their return policy. How is Antonline allowed to make up their own rules?

What is vsync like at 48hz? eg. if you are using the screen without Gsync turned on and normal Vsync with no triple buffering, the screen would go from 36, 48, 72,144... How is 48hz, does it look almost the same as 60hz vsync? I guess that using normal vsync and jumping between 48-72hz (if you keep the FPS over 48) would be a lot better than 60 > 30hz on a normal 60hz monitor? Or does 48hz look a lot worse than 60hz vsync?

Image quality on this screen is pretty darn good. Feels pretty vivid at 50% contrast, 60% brightness, gamma gaming, warm color. I agree with tftcentral's recommendation to run at Normal overdrive and 144Hz. Pixel transition is very clean, as is the picture in general. Very good whites. I'm getting rid of my Swift, which I had gotten comfortable with.

Just got my 3 from the acer store. One of them is absolutely perfect, no dead pixels no bleed. One has a dead pixel in the lower left corner and the other has a dead pixel in the lower center. Decided to keep them anyway since they would be my side screens. All in all very happy with the screens. worth the wait.:D

Acer manufacturing quality always was shit but damn, such amount of faulty panels for a 800$ just a spit in the face.

I shouldn't have re-read this thread. Now I have sads.

Acer manufacturing quality always was shit but damn, such amount of faulty panels for a 800$ just a spit in the face.

I shouldn't have re-read this thread. Now I have sads.

I took the risk, and I'm very satisfied. I have bleed on the right corner. Good thing I don't use it to stare at a black screen in complete darkness. When gaming, it's almost perfect.

Even tftcentral found backlight bleed. Didn't any of you read the review before you purchased?

Never had a problem buying third party on Amazon. Amazon guarantees your order, I was screwed once and Amazon refunded me immediately.

I can echo this. As long as its Amazon Fulfillment then its completely fine buying through third party sellers. Once Amazon is what you are dealing with then its completely hassle free.

However without Amazon fulfillment then its a bigger pain but Amazon will not tolerate shitty third party sellers. I bought something once outside Amazon fulfillment and was screwed but Amazon refunded me anyway and threw a strike against the seller who promptly sent me an email with an apology. I was also told by Amazon that third party dealers who don't honor their conditions get de-listed.

As far as the backlight bleed well that's part of the game guys. You always take a risk with a new panel and that's why an excellent return policy is absolutely required. I would never buy a panel from Newegg for instance because they have a lousy return policy on panels.

After about a 4 hour conversation yesterday with Acer, acting as the whiney customer, they decided to allow a second attempt at getting another panel. I hate acting like the person no one wants to be around, but it's an effective strategy I guess. The first panel, they stated that they found 10 dead pixels (the rest was just dust). 6 pixels is apparently class 2 compliant, and Acer has a 4 dead pixel policy. The monitor they sent me for the first repair had 3. I just seriously hope I'm not going to get another dud.

I've already requested the A-Z guarantee just incase (as I haven't heard back from Amazon). Worst case scenario, I'll do a chargeback.

After a day of use I am pretty impressed

+
+144hz w/Gsync is fantastic, so smooth and fluctuating FPS is unnoticeable
+IPS w/great viewing angles
+1440p
+easy user menus
+Very little back light bleed(at least on my model)
+Minimal IPS glow

-
-Average to poor colors(blacks are average at best)
-Matte screen
-Too small, really needs to be 30-32" IMO

Overall this is the best "gaming monitor" at the moment. If it was bigger, 4k, 21:9, and curved it would be near perfect:p

amazon just updated the status of my order to shipped. It'll arrive next tuesday via 2-day prime shipping :)

amazon just updated the status of my order to shipped. It'll arrive next tuesday via 2-day prime shipping :)

nice, good to know that they getting them in stock, thx.

I am curious when you did the pre-order?

Image quality on this screen is pretty darn good. Feels pretty vivid at 50% contrast, 60% brightness, gamma gaming, warm color. I agree with tftcentral's recommendation to run at Normal overdrive and 144Hz. Pixel transition is very clean, as is the picture in general. Very good whites. I'm getting rid of my Swift, which I had gotten comfortable with.

How's the build quality compared with the swift? I too am thinking of shifting from my Swift to this but I heard the build quality was horrible.

Also kinda afraid of the whole dead pixel thing, but I guess I'll just take the chance. :p

How's the build quality compared with the swift? I too am thinking of shifting from my Swift to this but I heard the build quality was horrible.

Also kinda afraid of the whole dead pixel thing, but I guess I'll just take the chance. :p

This Acer having bad build quality is way way overblown, Its mostly coming from trolls and Asus Swift fans who feel their panel is superior.

Only thing you might not like is the glossy finish, that is all.

so where can I buy this monitor in europe ?

almost half year and still no signs of it..

This Acer having bad build quality is way way overblown, Its mostly coming from trolls and Asus Swift fans who feel their panel is superior.

Only thing you might not like is the glossy finish, that is all.

It's actually from owners of the acer in this thread, most vocally the user "kaaremai" though if you search "build quality" in this thread (Malangyar) you'll see others incl people replying to his posts.

I must say 'Nay'..

For the high price the XB270HU simply falls short on so many accounts:

- Extremely poor build quality:
- Flimsy casing which feels like it can break by a gentle touch with your little finger
- The panel sits so loose in the casing that you can push it almost a centimeter inside the casing by pressing gently on the panel in the corners.
- Power LED light bleeds out between the buttons and you can look inside to the electronics by the power led due to the large cracks between the buttons.
- Low quality lcd panel:
- Excessive amounts of IPS glow. Much much worse on the xb270hu than my old NEC 20WGX2 Pro
- Yellow tint on the left side of the panel from top to bottom the first 5mm
- Large amounts of lightbleed
- Large amounts of defective pixels
- ULMB mode randomly stops working (stops strobing the backlight when turned on)

I returned mine and got a refund from the dealer. It was even the dealer who recommended a refund because they had received an unusual high amount of RMA orders on this monitor and they could not guarantee me that i would ever receive a non-defective monitor!! (this was the dealers words, not mine!)

So i'd say save your money and wait half a year and see what ever else comes on the market with IPS, 144hz and G-Sync.

Another important drawback for me was also that you can't watch movies with 23.9fps (blu ray mkv's) on these fast panels as motion judder will be extremely visible. On my old NEC wgx2 movies run smoothely while they're a flickering/jarring mess in panoramic scenes on the xb270hu.

It was me who reported that ULMB suddenly just stopped working. I could enable it but it just didn't strobe the backlight. Now it suddenly works again.

I have two other issues too:

The first 5mm of the left side of the panel has a very noticable yellow/orange tint all the way from bottom to top.

Also if i put my finger down in the left side corner i can push the whole panel inside the screen! This monitor has the worst build quality i have ever seen. I don't think this is okay for the price of this monitor..

I have no experience with seeing the acer in person at all but I do own a swift. I'm following this thread to keep an eye on the tech for future reference and I was also hoping that it would give some insight into the supposed 34" 21:9 version but now it's looking like it won't be 144hz.

ELVN, he must of bought it off the street or ebay with fake stickers.

he says low quality LCD panel, lol, orly? I didn't know low quality panels can do 144hz and have a IPS screen.

kid never posted any pics, most likely a troll, his only 5 posts on HH have been in this thread, what more proof you need.

he also claims that NEC 20wgx2 is a better gaming monitor than this Acer, wow, lol, just look at his only 5 posts on HH and you'll find that remark.

Last edited:
Hope it's wrong. I want this tech to be good, and I don't want anyone to pay this kind of money and not get a product they are happy with. I'm just saying that where I saw mention of it in the thread, it wasn't from swift owners as was said.

Seeing the quality issues that plagued the Eizo FG2421 and Asus PG278Q I was a little bit afraid of pulling the trigger on this monitor right from the get go, but the specs are simply too good to resist and in the end I got a really awesome one with the only issue as I've mentioned before being the slightly noticeable glow on the bottom right corner. If anyone is on the fence about picking one up just purchase from a place with a good return policy because this monitor is absolutely worth the risk.

Put in an order at Newegg, should be here midweek! (Premiere member) I'm a little nervous about all the naysaying, but honestly I feel its a bit like anything else in the world. Seldom do you hear about people's good experiences, but all to often you hear about the bad ones.

Either way, will report back!

What happens when you get to 144hz with gsync / freesync? Does this give you the same 1 frame of input lag as normal V sync, or is it lag free like 30-143hz would be with Gsync on?

What happens when you get to 144hz with gsync / freesync? Does this give you the same 1 frame of input lag as normal V sync, or is it lag free like 30-143hz would be with Gsync on?

If FPS is higher than 144, it becomes like normal V-sync. If you cap the FPS at 135 via ingame commands, you should be free of input lag (or so I've read).

If FPS is higher than 144, it becomes like normal V-sync. If you cap the FPS at 135 via ingame commands, you should be free of input lag (or so I've read).

why at 135fps? cant you cap it at 144fps instead?

Does it work if you cap it using and OC program eg. afterburner or asus GPUtweak and cap it to 143fps? I noticed in Asus GPUtweak there is a selector for "FPS target" and you can select max FPS. I am not sure if all games have option to limit FPS?

what is the cheapest this monitor has been bought at?

i am hearing about 680-720 with discount

still waiting for asus mg279q
where the heck is it

Newegg seems to be really good about RMA'ing if you have Premier. They received and approved my RMA within the same 5-minute period just now, which makes me think they didn't even actually check it for defects. They'll be shipping out my replacement in 1-2 business days.
why at 135fps? cant you cap it at 144fps instead?
I don't know. It might work, but you'd have to try it, I'm just going by what I've read. My monitor is currently in RMA process so I can't test it. People consistently have been reporting V-sync input lag if the FPS exceeds 144. Capping it slightly less than that reportedly does the trick. It's possible capping exactly at 144 FPS does the trick.

Does it work if you cap it using and OC program eg. afterburner or asus GPUtweak and cap it to 143fps? I noticed in Asus GPUtweak there is a selector for "FPS target" and you can select max FPS. I am not sure if all games have option to limit FPS?

You're right, not all games have the option to limit FPS. I'm assuming the method you describe would work too. But from what I understand, those programs caps your FPS by dynamically limiting the power of the GPU - and I've heard that the cap these programs provide are "rough" rather than "solid". So if you capped at 143 FPS in Afterburner, it might still exceed 143 FPS because it's hard for it to keep the card perfectly in sync with that cap.

I think doing it in the game engine is preferable when it's an option.

My understanding of all this is still less-than-perfectly solid, but I can just share what I've read because I've been curious about the same thing.

Back