Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

I sort of disagree. A week ago I was all but ready to pull the trigger on a Swift. After coming across this, I've decided to wait and see what comes of it. Had this not been announced, I surely would have a Swift on the way right now. While I'm sure I would have been happy with it, if this ended up coming out a month later and is a better panel for the same price, I wouldn't be happy about it. With a monitor this expensive, I want to make sure I'm getting the best I can for the cash I'm dropping.

The same logic applies to Acer as a company. Getting their product announced sooner increases the likelyhood that people who are shopping around will wait instead of just jumping at the Swift, which is currently about the only worthwhile option for people who want a G-Sync panel better than 24" 1080p.

I mean, it's annoying waiting, but not knowing it exists doesn't make it come any sooner. It just makes us less informed and more likely to make a purchasing decision we may end up regretting.

I'm sympathetic to the OP on this one, though. I was also fairly keen on the Swift, but the delays and QC issues have robbed it of a lot of it's allure, and the ultrawide curved screen really fits the majority of the gaming I do (flight sims) really well better than a normal panel, so I was leaning toward the LG 34. This monitor and the Predator from Acer are pause-worthy.

But those same delays and QC issues can make this a never-ending wait. I appreciate knowing both of the new Acer models are coming, but we've heard this before. If the same thing happens you may not be able to get a decent panel till Q4, and by then the next 'big thing' will be hitting the press releases, coming 'real soon now.'

My now very aged Asus 19x12 panel has held up really well, but it's time for something new. The base PC driving this panel has been almost completely upgraded twice since I bought it. If I could be sure of getting a panel with good QC in Q2 I'd be more likely to wait and compare the two new Acer monitors, but recent experience with the Swift isn't encouraging.

Actually considering the Dell 3415W. It should keep a fairly decent resell value if the Acers actually make an appearance in a reasonable time frame.

Friggen awesome, can't wait. My 248QE has held me over since it came out but now it's time for an worthy upgrade:D

800$, damn well it is in line with market offerings, that's a lot of $$$ considering I'd also need a GPU upgrade from my GTX 670. Don't think I can swing the $$ for the summer gaming season meh :(
Maybe by the years end, ugh. Gotta make some cash quick haha

Waiting on reviews. If it checks out and gsync actually works without issues (unlike on ASUS ROG) then I am in for 1. 800 is a bit steep though but what can you do.

See, I told ya it would be $799 in US.

EU <-> US pricing never compares like that.

Seems like this monitor based on those two sources will be:

UK: 689~£699 GBP
EUR: ~749 EUR
US: $799 USD

That would be rather normal price comparison of the different regions, the europe pricing obviously with VAT included. This sounds right where I expected it to be (Acer is on the cheaper end in terms of pricing, ASUS would have slapped another 50-$100 on the pricetag for their ROG branding if they had been first).

I have no problems with g-sync on my swift. They have a 3yr warranty and around 3days to get back to asus via RMA processes and now that they are stocked they are usually back to you within a week if you did have any problems.

I'm interested in the 21:9 curved version of this but I'm holding out for the samsung one to be released to compare(possibly having to wait into 2016, and hopefully score a pair of whatever the next nvidia "ti" tier gpus are to go with it).

I'm more concerned about whether the 5.5ms response time on the 144hz ips screens will be blurring detail out worse, and at a wider blur outside of the objects than any slim overshoot edge of the swift's "one sided" overshoot dark edge width on some color transitions. This is measurable, and presentable via pursuit camera shots. (It's also the entire game world moving (and blurring) in relation to your perspective in actual usage 1st/3rd person gaming, rather than a single low detail bitmap/cartoon test ufo object).

I doubt the swift will drop in price if you meant they'd consider it worth less than this monitor since the swift still has ~1ms vs 5.5 ms on the acer.
The swift possibly has a better OSD control and stand, bezel, overall housing etc too (not sure what the acer's quality is in those facets just considering it). Even if they considered the two more or less even in value but with "offsetting tradeoffs" - the more competition the better as a stimulus for sales vs the other mfg.

Last edited:
I have no problems with g-sync on my swift. They have a 3yr warranty and around 3days to get back to asus via RMA processes and now that they are stocked they are usually back to you within a week if you did have any problems.

Now now, don't start defending ASUS and their RMA process or customer service here. It's not very popular so you must be lying or working for ASUS. ;)

I doubt the swift will drop in price if you meant they'd consider it worth less than this monitor since the swift still has ~1ms vs 5.5 ms on the acer. The swift possibly has a better OSD control and stand, bezel, overall housing etc too (not sure what the acer's quality is in those facets just considering it). Even if they considered the two more or less even in value but with "offsetting tradeoffs" - the more competition the better as a stimulus for sales vs the other mfg.

I agree, however, the Swift has already dropped by $20 and the Acer isn't even out yet and the Acer 4k with G-SYNC I evaluated was just about as good as the Swift as far as the stand, etc. went..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Damn, probably yet another G-Sync monitor that is available everywhere except for Taiwan, ironic as Acer is.. well... Taiwanese...

Sometimes I hate living here lol.

Pursuit camera tests are on tftcentral now, great! :)

Acer XB270HU
6v2Lp0b.jpg

Asus PG278Q
nfnqWJF.jpg

6gsefAk.jpg

sno6DP0.jpg

more in the updated reviews:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

looks good on both imo. a faint ghosting trail on the Acer as predicted, I guess the remaining differences are due to the camera settings.
there is some overshoot crosstalk visible on both ULMB pics, but it says "All in all, when using ULMB you are unlikely to spot any real difference between the two screens unless you were running them side by side and looking incredibly closely."

The Predator actually has done better in these motion tests versus the Swift than I thought it would.

Cooool!

I know comparing both screens' ULMB modes at 100Hz is "apples to apples" but it's worth pointing out that the Swift supports ULMB at 120Hz (and gives even better blur reduction at that refresh rate, as shown in the pursuit camera shot that's NOT embedded above).

Hmm wonder if the 100hz ULMB is flickery... That would be sort of like having a screen at 50hz wouldn't it? As half of the frames are black... I did notice a slight flicker on the eizo foris at 120hz but it was not bad at all.

sno6DP0.jpg

pursuit2.jpg

Swift ULMB 120Hz far right. The Acer still isn't too bad!

Awesome. That's all I wanted. Props to tftcentral for listening to the community or for being forward minded in general, whatever made them add pursuit camera tracking. Also to mark rejhon and blurbusters.com of course.

You can understand my reservations vs the risk of higher response time ips blur without seeing it. I was expecting the non-ulmb 144hz mode blur to be up twice as much as what that shows on the ips compared to 1ms 144hz tn. I'm surprised to see that the blur is of the "soften" blur type like a 1ms 144hz monitor and not smeared outside of the lines on each side with the detail blurred out more within it.

This is looking good for me getting a 144hz 21:9 3440x1440 g-sync monitor in the long run. Though the acer 21:9 will be out sooner, I'd like to wait to compare samsung's offering which might be into 2016, so I'll stick with the swift for awhile. I'm very happy with the swift and, knock on wood, no hardware failures on mine. I've had it since just before halloween last year so going on 5 months already.

I really liked my samsung 120hz monitor so I want to see what they can do. (The samsung 60hz 21:9 3440x1440 recently out is VA so there is slim chance it could even be a VA 144hz panel who knows?).

For reference, these are the 60hz 1ms baseline(worst tn) blur vs 120hz 1ms 's 50% reduced blur amounts from the blurbusters.com site.
I've been unable to locate any 144hz ones showing 60% blur reduction (other than the smaller tftcentral ones just posted of the swift).

60hz 1ms smearing blur
60Hz-1024x341.jpg

120hz 1ms 50% blur reduction
120Hz-1024x341.jpg

Last edited:
Acer came through on this one for sure. Can't wait to see your guys' monitors and see if they live up to the test sample. If they do I may finally go multi-monitor :)

The ufo is a good test but of course in a full game scene/viewport you'd be soften-blurring very high texture detail (including stuff like depth-via bump mapping).

The smaller you make a blurry or low rez picture, the better it looks. In a larger picture you get a better idea of how much detail is lost from blur (in both monitor's cases). The closest thing to a texture on the ufo is the eyeballs, the slanted lines defining the facets of the ufo, and the belt going around the ufo body. The more twd 60hz blur levels you go, the wider the alien's extents "ear to ear" get and the more smeared his eyes and ears get. His shirt also smears out of it's origin as well at 60hz.

I pasted the two 144hz non ulmb/with g-sync capable pursuit shots from tft central together to compare easier. I also added another copy resized to 150%. The blur amounts are close.

144hz-blur_acer-xb270hu-asus-pg278q_close.png

144hz-blur_acer-xb270hu-asus-pg278q_close-larger150.png

For reference, here are some unblurred testufo graphics (from blurbusters.com)...

blurbusters_ufo_LightBoost_settings.jpg

blurbusters_testufo-graphic.png

Last edited:
that looks pretty damn good

for the ulmb pursuit camera tests they should check the behavior at the top and bottom of the screen for crosstalk and whatever.

Hmm wonder if the 100hz ULMB is flickery... That would be sort of like having a screen at 50hz wouldn't it? As half of the frames are black... I did notice a slight flicker on the eizo foris at 120hz but it was not bad at all.

Ah yes this monitor is not out yet so nobody is going to know the answer to me question.

Hmm wonder if the 100hz ULMB is flickery.../QUOTE]

When using my CRT at 100Hz, I see zero flicker. 96Hz is where flicker is invisible for me. 85Hz is fine for most people. Strobed 100Hz on a LCD should be no different in terms of flicker than my monitor.

Would this Acer be a huge upgrade over my current HP ZR24w in terms of color accuracy and black levels? I've been looking to upgrade my HP one for awhile now and this one might just do the trick but i want a big upgrade in color accuracy and black levels.

The larger screen size, 144hz, and resolution is awesome too.

If you research crt hz vs lcd hz you'll find they are different animals. You can't really compare the perception at the same hz.

It looks like the Swift edges the Predator out just barely, and in particular, for those of us who don't have the GPU grunt to keep our refresh rate at 144.

We know from our review that if we leave the screen at the optimum OD normal mode it maintains a very low response time across all transitions (2.9ms G2G average), and that this is not controlled or impacted by the refresh rate of the screen. So from 60Hz to 144Hz you are getting consistently low response times of ~2.9ms G2G on the Asus screen. It will be interesting to compare this further with the Acer XB270HU, which at the same optimum OD normal setting has response times varying between 8.7 and 5.9ms G2G depending on the refresh rate (60 - 144Hz).

If you research crt hz vs lcd hz you'll find they are different animals. You can't really compare the perception at the same hz.

You can when talking about strobing backlights. The flickering should be the same.

This is from what I've read BTW. Never seen a strobing backlight myself. :)

Back