Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

I've mentioned them with 'pcm' :D
Problem is they seem to get even fewer review samples than before, clearly fewer than tft and prad now. :(

Yeah I know. I really love their reviews, just wish there was more of them. They really speak to me as a gamer. I understand them more than some of the other reviews. Would love to see them review this Acer and some of the new curved monitors for gaming.

They always seem to get the contrast ratio wrong but other than that they are good.

They use a very accurate and expensive instrument. And most of their readings are similar to other reliable reviews. So I think you're wrong there.

Last edited:
Yeah I know. I really love their reviews, just wish there was more of them. They really speak to me as a gamer. I understand them more than some of the other reviews. Would love to see them review this Acer and some of the new curved monitors for gaming.

They use a very accurate and expensive instrument. And most of their readings are similar to other reliable reviews. So I think you're wrong there.

Don't know but the contrast ratio's are almost always about 10-20% higher than other reviews of the same monitors... So either TFTcentrar, prad etc. are all wrong, or pcmonitors are wrong which seems more likely.

Last edited:
Don't know but the contrast ratio's are almost always about 10-20% higher than other reviews of the same monitors... So either TFTcentrar, prad etc. are all wrong, or pcmonitors are wrong which seems more likely.

The same panels contrast often varies by up to 30%, some times 50% (common for e-IPS), and it's nor nearly as important as the bezel colour/type (frame-less) and coating if edge-to-edge glass or PDC is used.

hmmm.... am I reading this wrong? Does the Swift have better color accuracy than this?

The same panels contrast often varies by up to 30%, some times 50% (common for e-IPS), and it's nor nearly as important as the bezel colour/type (frame-less) and coating if edge-to-edge glass or PDC is used.

Mm but just saying that on pcmonitors the contrast they measure is always higher than other sites, don't know why.

Mm but just saying that on pcmonitors the contrast they measure is always higher than other sites, don't know why.

Haven't noticed that myself. Usually slightly higher, but nothing out of the ordinary given different measurement instruments and panel samples.

For example for some recent reviews on both sites:

TFTCentral ROG SWIFT avg. contrast = 1001:1
PCM ROG SWIFT avg. contrast = 1021:1

TFTCentral BL3200PT avg. contrast = 2679:1
PCM BL3200PT avg. contrast = 2758:1

TFT Central Q2770PQU avg. contrast = 922:1
PCM Q2770PQU avg. contrast = 830:1

Pretty close, and not always higher. And to be honest I trust the measurement instrument specifically designed to measure light levels more than something that does that as a minor function.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought pcmonitors.info was basically one guy: Adam Simmons aka PCM2 from Overclockers UK. So unless I'm wrong about that, please stop referring to that (very nice) website as "they"

No problem with the person or website, just something I noticed when researching monitors recently.

The problem with contrast measurements on TFT and PCM is that they only measure the black level to the second decimal, and at higher contrast ratios this can quickly get inaccurate.
For example a screen with:
white lvl. 120cd/m² black lvl. 0.029cd/m² = 4137:1
white lvl. 120cd/m² black lvl. 0.021cd/m² = 5714:1

Prad.de and =DEAD= (overclockers.ru, 4k-monitor.ru) measure to the third decimal and also they don't measure on/off but a checkerboard pattern more similar to the ANSI contrast.
Only TFT, Playwares and Prad use an oscilloscope to measure response times, and TFT are by far the best there. Playwares sometimes seem to deviate from TFT measurements and Prad only measures at ~15 points, then writes down the average.
Hardware.info are very prolific at testing screens (they just post results, rarely reviews) and they also use oscilloscope but only for the 4 transitions: 0-255, 255-0, 50-200 and 200-50.
ixbt.com has solid reviews and they sometimes post great macro shots. digitalversus is ok, one of the few sites that test both TV and Monitors with the same methods.
=DEAD= is my favorite reviewer (the most unforgiving) but he does not use an oscilloscope.
PCM reviews are very well written, with videos and great subjective impressions.
Sadly not a single site uses "pursuit camera" shots, videos or animated gif's to show ghosting/motion performance even though it would be possible.

Last edited:
Based on the OCUK preorder price, this is going to cost $899 in the US. I really want this but if its that high I don't think I can get it :*(

It really is high, especially with that G-sync premium.
Prad.de reported RRP of 749€ ($840) for for the XB270HU and 499€ for the XG270HU (TN).
The MG279Q will be cheaper when it comes out, but it probably won't have ULMB and 120hz/FreeSync instead of 144hz/G-sync

Based on the OCUK preorder price, this is going to cost $899 in the US. I really want this but if its that high I don't think I can get it :*(

It really is high, especially with that G-sync premium.
Prad.de reported RRP of 749€ ($840) for for the XB270HU and 499€ for the XG270HU (TN).
The MG279Q will be cheaper when it comes out, but it probably won't have ULMB and 120hz/FreeSync instead of 144hz/G-sync

EU <-> US pricing never compares like that.

Seems like this monitor based on those two sources will be:

UK: 689~£699 GBP
EUR: ~749 EUR
US: $799 USD

That would be rather normal price comparison of the different regions, the europe pricing obviously with VAT included. This sounds right where I expected it to be (Acer is on the cheaper end in terms of pricing, ASUS would have slapped another 50-$100 on the pricetag for their ROG branding if they had been first).

Last edited:
UK price is likely inflated

I can get Rog Swift for 3000 PLN which is around 700-720 EUR depending on exchange rate changes while it costs 620-630 pounds on overclockers.co.uk which translates into close to 3500 PLN

750 EUR RRP suggests that after a while it will be only tiny bit more expensive than swift in good shops.

I love how every monitor ever released or pre-ordered in Europe first always get's the "It's this much in Sterling or Euro = Dollars" comments.

For the millionth time, Euro prices and US prices are not directly comparable and can't simply be converted at exchange rates.

No but the rule is generally 1 USD=1 EUR though.

Anyway, probably going to be in $700-800 range on one side of the Atlantic and 700-800&#8364; on the other just like the Swift.

Time will tell.

Ergh what a rip off you would think it was an OLED or 4K screen at that sort of price... Need more competition to bring the prices down, it is still an IPS type panel with 1000:1 contrast.

Last edited:
People WILL ALWAYS complain about something.

and

There are people (including myself) that don't care about all "fancy" details.

Gotta spend money on something, there is no PERFECT Monitor and never will be :)

How is it a rip off? This is the first time we see such a fast IPS panel with no input lag and perfect overdrive control combined with g-sync. Makes the Swift obsolete unless you want 3d vision/120hz ULMB.

This Monitor is the reason i returned swift 2 days ago, to be honest with you.

In my own opinion, SWIFT is a rip off, with many issues described in many forums, and after many issues i experienced myself.

I doubt that this Monitor will be perfect as well, but ... lets give it a try :)

How is it a rip off? This is the first time we see such a fast IPS panel with no input lag and perfect overdrive control combined with g-sync. Makes the Swift obsolete unless you want 3d vision/120hz ULMB.

Well it is perceived value... 0.1% of people will think this is "good value", but at the end of the day it is still a low contrast, IPS screen and it is £700. Its good how fast it is and everything but it still has 1000:1 contrast and IPS glow and a relatively cheap looking stand... People keep buying these monitors at inflated prices so they keep pricing them that high..... It is still £700 for a an AHVA 1000:1, ips glowing screen. I doubt it costs much more to manufacture compared to a standard 1440p IPS screen (except for the G-ripoff module) £700 is too much money for most people for a 27" 1440p screen. Hopefully the Asus version will be less extortionate.

In my own opinion, SWIFT is a rip off, with many issues described in many forums, and after many issues i experienced myself.

I doubt that this Monitor will be perfect as well, but ... lets give it a try :)

yes the swift is EVEN MORE of a ripoff. :D

People WILL ALWAYS complain about something.

and

There are people (including myself) that don't care about all "fancy" details.

Gotta spend money on something, there is no PERFECT Monitor and never will be :)

I wouldn't complain if it was £500.

Everybody's budget is different, that's normal and understandable. (at least i see it that way)

(Thanks to god and my hard work every day) - i have no issues paying up to $1200 for this Monitor, and i expect it to be in that price range here in Canada (after tax, fees, etc).

I understand your point as well, but, a lot of people would love to drive Ferrari as well, and their price is a "rip off" for many people (including myself), that is why i drive BMW - and i stick to what i can afford, and i don't look further then that.

If you know your budget, and what is good \ works for your pocket, in that case you should be only considering Monitors (in this case) in that price range.

This is simply a "Ferrari" for many people.

Well it is perceived value... 0.1% of people will think this is "good value", but at the end of the day it is still a low contrast, IPS screen and it is £700. Its good how fast it is and everything but it still has 1000:1 contrast and IPS glow and a relatively cheap looking stand... People keep buying these monitors at inflated prices so they keep pricing them that high..... It is still £700 for a an AHVA 1000:1, ips glowing screen. I doubt it costs much more to manufacture compared to a standard 1440p IPS screen (except for the G-ripoff module) £700 is too much money for most people for a 27" 1440p screen. Hopefully the Asus version will be less extortionate.

Don't buy it then. Problem solved.

Don't buy it then. Problem solved.

I won't I will prob get the Asus version instead if its £500 or less. I would pay £700 for an OLED screen tho, or even a 27" 120hz 1440p VA with ULMB.. Looks like a good screen tho if you have that money to spend.

Last edited:
I'd get the Asus too. But I have no idea if FreeSync is as 'good' as G-Sync...
I read it doesn't feature strobing, but otherwise it's a mystery to me.

I'd get the Asus too. But I have no idea if FreeSync is as 'good' as G-Sync...
I read it doesn't feature strobing, but otherwise it's a mystery to me.

Should be about the same, except it might not go as low as Gsync, for example the asus only goes down to 40hz, but if you stay above 40fps it should be the same as Gsync. You have to choose between strobing and Gsync, if you could have both at the same time it would be worth getting gsync, they could add strobing to freesync monitors.

Well, today this happened......

bBQpMvp.png

I don't think the swift is a rip-off, and mine arrived in perfect condition just before Halloween last year - but it is priced high with an early adoption fee. The first 120hz 27" 1080p TN's when they came out were $550 - $625 for a long time other than a few brief flash sales and that was several years ago now (2011) inflation wise ($570 - $650 now). 27" 60hz 1440p ips monitors were $750 - $1100 for years before the korean B-grade knockoffs showed up too.
1440p 120hz-144hz really demands fairly beefy gpu sli to hope to average 100fps on higher settings in the more demanding games out now and even more demanding going forward, so you are looking at some considerable gaming rig budgets as well.
Note that if you do have any issues, the swift has a 3 yr warranty and is now around a 3 day rma process arrival to them, and usually get a replacement within a week overall.

I don't think this monitor will make the swift obsolete if the 1ms swift's slim overshoot edge width is traded off for a smearing blur width wider than any of the swift's overshoot incidences,. The other potential tradeoff is that it could potentially be much worse blur of the moving viewport (or ufo object in the simple examples) due to it's response time.. 144hz 1ms cuts the smear blur of lcds down by 60%. Personally it would not be worth trading off a 'soften' blur or fuzz blur amount of a 144hz 1ms if the detail on the ips is down to a smear blur loss of image clarity. That is the major reservation I have about it.

from tft central swift review:
In practice the Asus PG278Q performed best with the Overdrive setting on 'normal'. Motion blur was minimal and the moving image looked sharp and crisp. Motion felt very fast and fluid thanks to the 144Hz refresh rate, something which you can't really pick out with the camera. There was some minor overshoot evident in the form of a slight dark trail behind the moving car, but we've already established with our oscilloscope that overshoot is fairly low, only affecting a few transitions more noticeably.

When you switch OD to 'normal' the blurring is eliminated greatly, and you see a sharper moving image as a result. There is some very slight dark trailing shown in the sample colour transitions used in PixPerAn which you can see in the images. It doesn't affect every colour transition as we've already measured in this section and in gaming it isn't overly problematic.

tft central acer review:
In practice the Acer XB270HU performed best with the Overdrive setting on 'normal'. Motion blur was minimal and the moving image looked sharp and crisp.
How much blur reduction compared to a 60hz 1ms TN? This is measurable as a % and capable of being presented visually in pursuit camera shots so why do we have to rely on subjective statements?

response times were slightly slower than the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q and BenQ XL2720Z, but the benefit of that was that there was no overshoot on the Acer, whereas the others showed some moderate levels.
- but was the blur width wider than the swift's overshoot? How much wider? Was the detail lost by that blur more than the swift? If so, how much more blurry was it? Again, this is measurable as a % and capable of being presented visually in pursuit camera shots so why do we have to rely on subjective statements?

tft central acer XB270HU review:
to have effective "clean" strobing at 120Hz you really need pixel response times to be able to reach ~1ms G2G ideally, something that this IPS-type panel cannot reach. Even the best TN Film panels struggle to reach that kind of response time, so the strobing provided at 120Hz is still not clean.
This makes me again question how much the blur amount is since it is affected similarly by poorer response times and is obviously incapable in this case.

I'm very interested in what the real world results are on this monitor , more specifically the 21:9 version though - and would really like to see some pursuit camera shots of it's blur amounts to compare it's blur width and amount of detail lost (due to potential blur/smear) to a 60hz 1ms TN. a 120hz 1ms and a 144hz 1ms.

By the time the the acer and samsung 21:9's are both out and hopefully a "ti" nvidia tier with high vram I'll probably have been using my swift for a year. I don't regret it, and I'm actually hopeful that I won't regret the 21:9 144hz g-sync purchase I'll most likely make next year. However I'll order from somewhere with a good return policy.

Last edited:
I thought my swift came perfect as well, but, after 10 days of using it, i started noticing problems :)

Anyway, that was my own opinion, i don't say everyone should agree with it, of course not, but, in the end, i really prefer IPS, as i spend 10+ hours a day working \ playing game.

I am back to my old GW2765 which is IPS, and i am more happy with picture rather then what it looked on SWIFT.

Well that's all you. I personally can't fathom anyone with experience with both, during actual game-play rather than a static scene or screenshot, describing the visible dynamic picture quality of a 60hz panel's smearing blur of the entire view-port into a non-resolution in 1st/3rd person game FoV movement and it's low and capped motion articulation and smoothness as a better aesthetic experience than a saturated 120hz-144hz (and now 1440p + g-sync panel) capable of high motion definition, high motion articulation + smoothness, and with increased clarity of 60% blur reduction.

Do note that I use a 2560x1440 ips for desktop/apps in the same monitor array. Although useful for misc desktop real-estate paired with the ips at the same resolution, I use my swift primarily for gaming where it excels.

This new ips tech at least will have higher frame rate/hz motion definition + smoothness and better blur reduction than typical ips panels. I would like to know vs 60hz 1ms (and typical ips response times) baseline smear blur if it cuts that blur by say 20% ?, 30% ?, 40% ? as compared to a 120hz 1ms's 50% and a 144hz 1ms's 60%. Hopefully it is a decent amount.

Last edited:
Back