Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

Actual pixel response times are usually at least 2x higher than the quoted pixel response times.

I suspect this is a pretty accurate rule. In the case of this Acer, this means at least 8ms instead of 4ms. If it's the same 144Hz AHVA panel in TFTCentral's database (which is rated at 12ms by AU Optronics) this means quite a bit of overdrive...

I suspect this is a pretty accurate rule. In the case of this Acer, this means at least 8ms instead of 4ms. If it's the same 144Hz AHVA panel in TFTCentral's database (which is rated at 12ms by AU Optronics) this means quite a bit of overdrive...

If that is so the Swift will remain a competitive and worthwhile monitor then (speaking as a G-Sync user here, can't stand v-sync even at 120hz so I find myself never using ULMB outside of some single player games). Of course that would please me as a Swift owner but I would love for IPS to become better and more widespread (I like the tech better than TN/VA even with the glow).

Last edited:
Interesting...didn't realise the MPRT test could determine the persistence after low motion blur modes like Turbo 240 have worked their magic..

My IPS gets 7.6ms when OC'd to 120Hz, which is faster than 120Hz's 8.333ms screen redraw time, but slower than 144Hz's 6.94ms redraw time that occurs at 144Hz. And of course, it's more than 3x slower than your 2.2ms.

I would point out though, that the MVA panel in your Eizo is probably a little faster than what we tend to get from the IPS/AHVA panels expected for this Acer. TFTCentral measured the Eizo as having an average response time of 8.4ms (6.9ms if you exclude 2 particularly slow colour transitions), with Turbo 240 turned off. That's consistent with NCX's rule of "take the declared response time and double it" to get the real response time. If we assume that rule also applies to the fastest 2560x1440 IPS screens, it means an effective average response time of 12-14ms, i.e., about 50% slower than the Eizo.

So again, it will be fascinating to see how this Acer does with ULMB enabled. However, if it's using a panel with an effective 12ms response time (which is what AU Optronics declares for their 144Hz AHVA panel, btw...), I hope that overdrive has not been applied to a level that renders the image unpleasant. As I understand it, ULMB will significantly mitigate motion blur from sample and hold, but it won't correct any overshoot that results from excessive overdrive.

Ya, unfortunately we won't really know until it's reviewed or we get our hands on it.

Can the overdriving be disabled?

I believe it depends on the monitor. Some monitors have 2-3 or more overdrive levels you can choose from, such as the 'Normal,' 'Fast' and 'Faster' settings I had on my old Samsung. Others, like my IPS and, I believe, Vega's Eizo, only have a 'factory default' that cannot be seen, let along changed changed. Fortunately, on both of those monitors, the overdrive applied is a very sensible amount. Some overdrive can be good for IPS and VA panels. You get into trouble when too much is applied.

Speculations on a price? I'm going to guess $800 to compete with the swift. How about an estimated release date?

I don't think it has to compete with the Swift. It'll *start* at $800 and go up from there.

they cite that but then link to a pre-order higher than £600

Lol, Vega dude, you're compulsive :)

Haha I can't help it, I get all giddy inside when it comes to display tech.

Update: 22/1/15: Confirmed with Acer that the XB270HU will feature the ULMB (Ultra-Low Motion Blur) mode which is good news. Still waiting on confirmation of interface options.

Last edited:
I am glad the new monitors coming out are pushing the res they as well as the high refresh rates. I am just so confused as to what to get for my new gaming machine that I am putting together slowly. I wanted something in high res and refresh rate in a triple monitor set up. The problem seems to be finding a GPU solution that will run them...Not sure what to do, but I think I like what I see coming out.

It was only a few years ago when we had to decide between 1080p 144hz TN or 1440p 60hz IPS. Now it's nice to see the best of both in one package plus g sync. Looks like my 248QE will be finally getting a worthwhile upgrade this year

I've been toying with the idea of making the jump from 23" 1080p IPS to 27" 1440p IPS for quite a while. But now that these things are coming out, it all makes sense, this is what I was waiting for.

I wonder what kind of warranty Acer will offer with this, I'm spoiled by Dell Premium Warranty with 0 bad pixel guarantee and 24h advance RMA. If I'm going to fork 700€ it better be top notch.

Why does a gsync module add £200 to the price... If nvidia don't support the amd freesync they are going to have to lower the gsync price to £50-£100. The price of gsync currently is silly, £700 for a TN panel.... Bit annoying that I just got an nvidia card and AMD freesync is being released few months later, will have to go back to AMD if they don't lower the price of Gsync or use freesync!

Last edited:
Why does a gsync module add £200 to the price... If nvidia don't support the amd freesync they are going to have to lower the gsync price to £50-£100. The price of gsync currently is silly, £700 for a TN panel.... Bit annoying that I just got an nvidia card and AMD freesync is being released few months later, will have to go back to AMD if they don't lower the price of Gsync or use freesync!

GSYNC integration doesn't cost more than $100~ to add in for manufacturers. But manufacturers also want to profit from selling the premium feature. Otherwise they're just putting in a feature that costs more money that only Nvidia will profit from, in the hopes that the GSYNC feature will result in more sales to offset the higher retail price they now have to charge. It's tricky. Especially for a new feature like GSYNC. So essentially Acer/ASUS/others are thinking there are very few GSYNC monitors available. I'll develop a GSYNC monitor. It'll cost me $100 to buy the module. And I'll charge an extra $100 on top of that for my share of the profits from GSYNC integration.

As GSYNC becomes more commonplace, expect both the cost of the module, and also the manufacturer markup to decrease.

Though if FreeSync and adaptive sync works as well as G-Sync, I don't think G-Sync will last much longer.

Man this monitor will be so epic for racing and flight sim's. Heck, everything!

Quick question, which one of Freesync or G-Sync (ULMB) didn't force Vsync? I'm a person that don't like using vsync and have had no issues with keeping vsync off permanently on my 120Hz TN panel.

GSYNC integration doesn't cost more than $100~ to add in for manufacturers. But manufacturers also want to profit from selling the premium feature. Otherwise they're just putting in a feature that costs more money that only Nvidia will profit from, in the hopes that the GSYNC feature will result in more sales to offset the higher retail price they now have to charge. It's tricky. Especially for a new feature like GSYNC. So essentially Acer/ASUS/others are thinking there are very few GSYNC monitors available. I'll develop a GSYNC monitor. It'll cost me $100 to buy the module. And I'll charge an extra $100 on top of that for my share of the profits from GSYNC integration.

As GSYNC becomes more commonplace, expect both the cost of the module, and also the manufacturer markup to decrease.

Well when freesync comes out in the next few months, if it works as well as Gsync, nvidia / manufacturers will have no choice to either sell Gsync at the price it costs them to add it, or for nvidia to enable freesync in drivers... Nobody other than people who only buy nvidia is going to pay an extra £200 for something you can get for an extra £50 (probably), if gsync prices don't drop I will be getting an AMD card for freesync, hopefully nvidia will allow freesync through drivers but I don't know how likely they are to do that, the ASUS MG279Q looks better than this Acer and will be freesync only, well it will probably be similar as uses the same panel but it looks nicer and asus is better than acer and does not have a cheap looking stand lol. Why have acer put glossy plastic and orange on a "premium" monitor it makes it look like a £100 monitor.

Quick question, which one of Freesync or G-Sync (ULMB) didn't force Vsync? I'm a person that don't like using vsync and have had no issues with keeping vsync off permanently on my 120Hz TN panel.

Can you rephrase your question please? I'm not sure what you're asking.

G-Sync and V-Sync are different. I too like having V-Sync off but G-Sync has been demonstrated to have the same input lag on-average as V-Sync=off: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

I just realized that there is a 34" curved VA panel that just launched, monitor is the Samsung S34E790C. Could also be a candidate for this display.

Will this LCD have an artificially locked refresh rate, i.e if is it is run over 144Hz it gives a "signal error" box?

From the reports this is not a situation of nVidia, ASUS, or ACER price gouging consumers. This is a custom board with freshly developed technology and the board maker wouldn't budge on their pricing.

Given that these modules are going to sell in the range of tens of thousands rather than hundreds of thousands or millions, that's the only way they would recoup their R&D and manufacturing costs. I doubt they're making much "profit" at all.

Obviously the price is going to drop as orders scale up. But to think that Freesync is going to suddenly take the market by storm, or that even if it did that they'd offer it for substantially less, is misguided.

The market is going to drive pricing and right now that market is a niche demand from buyers willing to pay a hefty premium for the best.

Also, I'd be very surprised if Freesync made G-sync irrelevant. We're not even sure it's going to be competitive. Right now it's vaporware and promises to about what it's capable of doing or how well it will compete and speculation about pricing relative to G-sync are all simply jibberjabber.

Neither forces "v-sync", they both replace it. G-sync has a bit of input lag if you reach the max refresh rate of the monitor but otherwise it's the same latency as v-sync off (and you can cap your framerate 1 or 2 frames below the refresh rate to avoid the lag). From what I've heard Freesync will let the framerate go over the refresh rate and tearing happen rather than cap it like G-sync (which is silly IMO...).

There's a reason why I'm all over it, I'm extremely demanding when it comes to latency.

From the reports this is not a situation of nVidia, ASUS, or ACER price gouging consumers. This is a custom board with freshly developed technology and the board maker wouldn't budge on their pricing.

Given that these modules are going to sell in the range of tens of thousands rather than hundreds of thousands or millions, that's the only way they would recoup their R&D and manufacturing costs. I doubt they're making much "profit" at all.

Obviously the price is going to drop as orders scale up. But to think that Freesync is going to suddenly take the market by storm, or that even if it did that they'd offer it for substantially less, is misguided.

The market is going to drive pricing and right now that market is a niche demand from buyers willing to pay a hefty premium for the best.

Also, I'd be very surprised if Freesync made G-sync irrelevant. We're not even sure it's going to be competitive. Right now it's vaporware and promises to about what it's capable of doing or how well it will compete and speculation about pricing relative to G-sync are all simply jibberjabber.

Hmm not sure I agree with that, I expect they are making quite a lot out of Gsync and they could lower the price by at least 25% and still make a good profit, also if they dropped the price they would sell more, personally I think it is marketing and putting a price bump because it is currently the only thing available, similar to GTX titan etc. They could easily sell those for less and make a profit but they don't because some people have loads of money and will pay anything for the best.

Not sure if freesync will make gsync irrelevant, looking at a video on freesync I think it might not be as good as gsync, don't know about the pricing yet but it will definately be a lot cheaper than Gsync as it does not need anything more than DP 1.2a+... but its hardly "vaporware" they had a lot of working freesync monitors at CES and they will be released in the next 3 months.

Some serious desktop love coming out this year. Desktop Broadwell, Windows 10, lots of choice of LCD monitors coming. GSync 4K IPS, 120Hz 1440P IPS, Ultra Wide 144Hz monitors, 24" monitors with 4K and 2560x1440 resolutions for those pixel fiends. Its all really good shit!

I thought Broadwell isn't going to have an enthusiast chip. 2011-v3 are all Xeon's aren't they?

I thought Broadwell isn't going to have an enthusiast chip. 2011-v3 are all Xeon's aren't they?

Broadwell is going to have a desktop version and a -E version.

re: op, I'll wait for some reviews before I buy 3 of these monitors. As long as they can be color calibrated to look good and don't have any glaring issues, I'll jump in. Acer hasn't been a byword for quality monitors in the past though, so somewhat skeptical. But this one ticks all the boxes...144Hz, IPS, and G-Sync.

Will this LCD have an artificially locked refresh rate, i.e if is it is run over 144Hz it gives a "signal error" box?

Typically you can squeeze out a Hz or two more on some models, but nothing worth drooling over.

Typically you can squeeze out a Hz or two more on some models, but nothing worth drooling over.

I'm not asking if it is overclockable. I am asking if it has an artificial refresh rate limit. I want know if the reason it can't overclock past one or two hertz is because it really can't handle it or if it just causes an "out of range" error. I refuse to buy locked-down components.

Most components are only designed to operate within designed spec +/-, so yes, you are asking if it is overclock-able. Most "out of range" scenarios are because the TCon's cannot run at that speed and fail.

im glad I didn't but that Asus Gsync display, ill just wait for this.

Was tempted by the Rog Swift, but at $999.99 in Canada couldn't do it. This will probably cost the same but it's an IPS, so I can justify it in my head. I just can't do TN anymore, I hope this thing is amazing.

Back