Office Web Components in Windows x64

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
We have a legacy Access database with a web frontend (the standard one exported from Access). When I first switched to Win7 x64, I wasn't able to get it working properly - problems with OWC and x64. Eventually I did get it working. For a number of months, I've been using IE 32-bit, launched via a VBScript from SysWoW64's wscript.exe to remove some of IE's default UI, to open this database.

Yesterday, MS had me reset all my IE settings to default in an effort to fix a completely unrelated issue. This morning when I tried to fire up our web database, it's not working. I can't remember what I did before to finally get it working. I've uninstalled and reinstalled OWC11, and even tried with 10 just for good measure. It's an Intranet site and set to Low security, plus manually checking through the options to make sure that nothing was disabled (all set to Enabled or Prompt).

Anyone familiar with getting this to work? Nothing in the Google results was too helpful. I had this working for months up until yesterday, when I reset my IE settings, so I know for a fact that this does work. I just don't know what got changed that I need to change back...

I finally took the time and figured this out today. The option I needed to enable to get OWC working is "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting". Even with it set to Prompt, I didn't get a prompt and it didn't work. Switching it to Enable caused it to start working again.

Hopefully someone else finds this helpful in the future.

Back